Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

His F1 career is already finished if he sticks with Honda. They aren't ever getting their poo poo together in F1.

Also Honda had been pretty poo poo in Super GT for a while now.

You know what's not finished though? His wallet.

If Honda want to keep him as one of the top-paid drivers in F1, why would he say no? Would you? (Nope)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think the issue is, through the Split and the down times, the calendar turned over so much that there aren't as many "traditional" or "classic" races just because there hasn't been as much consistency. Long Beach is a traditional race and an important race in the calendar partially because it's been there now 30-plus years. There aren't as much races with such consistency on the calendar. Texas, possibly, but few other rounds are as prestigious in IndyCar as the 500 and Long Beach.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dear McLaren - when you said you were doing a throwback orange livery in F1 this year, THAT is what we were thinking of.

More of that, please.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

Also the 2 old dudes talking about setup poo poo. This owns.

I'm not sure that comment was intended for wider distribution but yeah, it's awesome. Too bad it's so late here (12:15).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

listening at the start, they were allowing him to go straight through the Rookie program and get it finished because of the threat of rain/bad weather incoming, and because, well, it's a two-time World Champion who has a Formula 1 day job. You let exceptions happen in exceptional cases. This certainly is one.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

If standard high throughput charging becomes better then EVs will probably supplant them. For small, affordable cars it is hard to see batteries coming in for a while - for these cars sometimes absolute profit margins become smaller than smartphones. Which is ridiculous when you compare supply chains. So reducing displacement with turbos makes sense in that class as long as the turbo is robust.

Honestly a lot of the passenger car secret sauce resides in ECUs and instrumentation which is controlled strictly in every racing series. I wish there was a series which took out aero and let them try to get traction back through electronic controls. I think these days aero development costs more than these electronic solutions - its not 1994 anymore and everyone KNOWS how to do it. Then you also get back custom engine control and monitoring...

If they can make the engine do more, and expose it a little so you could see that poo poo on TV, that'd be good.

All of this is excellent but wanted to add - to wicka's question about batteries, they can be recycled within their lifespan (you know Tesla's power wall? Daimler/Mercedes is working on the same, both for home and commercial use) and the tech continues to be developed to, hopefully, do more and be much cleaner in the supply chain.

Also, an open series focusing on battery tech and motors instead of aero would be awesome to watch. Cars need more power than the grip can handle.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

So... Formula E?

I realized that part of the way through! But when more is opened up it'll be awesome to see. I also can't wait for the inevitable electric touring car races and the challenge of endurance racing.

But those aren't in Indy, yet, and Indy isn't the place for the wild experimentation anymore, unfortunately.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

You probably know but companies in Japan already sell battery bank, panels, and car as a package. But I think the issue is that cars give such economic potential to their owners so you're going to get more money selling a run down ev versus repurposing the pack to some storage bank.

I think team battery development is very difficult because batteries store energy and are dangerous done improperly. I'd like to see small tracks downtown running evs but again for a low cost series it's difficult. You wad up an ev, immediately the battery pack is forever suspect and it costs more than the rest of the car.

I'm banking on battery tech improving at such a rate that current car ranges won't necessarily be attractive as used options. Americans and Europeans have range anxiety, and Japan has shaken meaning few keep cars going forever anyways.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

im the hosts bare ankles

Showing your Achilles? Soft move.

I would love Indy to come back but it would have to be Motegi and would inevitably be an awful drive to get up there. But I would go.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Love a good T car, me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The oval track is surprisingly exhausting. Road course is fun as long as nobody bins it at the downhill hairpin (they will).

Dang. Track sounds good.

[Edit] also Wheldon in 2011 is the answer. That will always be such a bittersweet one. Imagine JR in that case too...one corner left!

harperdc fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 18, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Nando being in the top 9 surprises no one.

I mean, there's five other Andretti cars, five Penskes, and a couple Ganassis plus the other smaller teams? And this is Are Nando's first time at Indy? He's been fast in practice but being in that too nine is a little surprising.

Really hope Bourdais is okay, that hit looked nasty.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Missed out on the discussion earlier but: I think my dad first took me to PIR (the road course in the Northwest, not the oval in Arizona) when I was 2 or 3. This would've been in the heyday of IMSA GTP and CART, and I definitely remember things like the 1990 and 1991 seasons and "500s". Pretty clearly remember 1992 too, including the finish. Very clearly remember the shock of Penske missing in 1995, too.

And the most '90s thing in that IOC picture is the caffeine free diet Pepsi can.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rossi!!!!

JR almost got bit by 2 as well

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That crowd roar when Dixon breaks 232, my goodness

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Special Ed with a low 232 to start

ABC loses their goddamn timing for the last runner of the day :facepalm:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Quali was a blast to watch. Sad Nando wasn't on the front row, but the laps were awesome. And I can use the new engine excuse here?

Sato scared the poo poo outa me for a second as well.

I know he's been pretty quick but considering how fast Sato went in the Fast 9 I'm going to chalk that up to the track getting better throughout qualifying. That said, Alonso got P5, which is still second row. Incredible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Wait a second.

Qualifying is over, no-one qualified the ex-Bourdais entry.

So surely Davison can't race?

Is there an existing provision for this or are they going to cheat it "For the show"?

Let's just file it under force majeure or "acts of God" and call it good. I don't think anyone would say Davison shouldn't race considering the circumstances.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

to steal a joke, what the hell were those two doing at a Taco Bell?

glad they're safe though, yikes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ahahaha that's fantastic

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Finally IndyCar will be back to glory because the overhead airbox will be gone from turbocharged cars. All praise.

Speedway kit looks sleek and fast, and I like the swept rear wing on the road course package too. Looks great all around. Here's hoping we get a new engine manufacturer in soon too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

This Portland race is a farce.

Portland was the best because Father's Day Weekend has always been a crap shoot - either wonderful sunshine or pouring rain. And sometimes both the same day!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I think this is a uniquely American thing. To the rest of the world no-airbox is either a 1970s or cheap. To me that render looks like something you'd seen in a BTCC support race.

I would say it is just iconic and visually distinct for IndyCar, because until The Split (and until CCWS went boom) the turbo cars had developed without airboxes.

...at least they aren't rocking F3 side intakes!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

This has always been the solution. Higher top speeds, less downforce, less aero wake. If you can get more top end speed through aero that's just as good as increasing the power of the engine (but let's also do that eventually).

Yep, this. And the Rick Mears suggestion of more power than grip. With the increased emphasis on safety (of facilities and cars) I think it can be handled.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I see it with the roll hoop/back cover shape, pretty similar. But still think it's going to look proper long, low and mean.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Have spent part of the day watching Nurburgring 24H on my phone/computer, am now watching Monaco in potato quality on Chromecast, and really hoping the 500 is good :unsmith: I'll have to watch it on delay though, the 500 starts too early to wake up for on the Monday morning Japan time. So I'll catch it after work.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Still watching through the race. Dixon's wreck was scary as gently caress, Jesus Christ.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Had seen the winner before starting to watch. Seeing the end/final few laps of the Japanese coverage posted here? Absolutely glorious :japan:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think Sato made the morning news, but I'll let you know what else I see.

Sato's still a really popular driver and figure here, as he's been one of the few to stick in international top-level series for any amount of time in this era. This is going to make it even crazier for him, I'm sure. I wonder how many Japanese press outlets are scrambling for flights to Detroit and hotels about now...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RW3EWL6RNY

Question will be, will he be getting random commercials airing in Japan ala King Hiro?

That ain't random, that's like getting a McDonald's ad here. Or specifically a Dunkin Donuts sponsorship and ad. They sponsored his car!

(What the gently caress Mister Donut was doing making pork buns is another, completely different question)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You mean "hey guy living in Tokyo."

Yeah that's a mention on the evening editions of every major newspaper, and segments on national nightly news. I'll check and see if there's more on today's morning shows.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Maldonado was rumored a few times. I gather that the PVDSA sponsorship isn't what it used to be given the situation in Venezuela right now.

yeah, I get the feeling that Maldonado's account is running pretty dry right about now given the state of the Venezuelan economy.

Palmer joining and IndyCar running one of his dad's tracks in the UK may not be a huge surprise in the future...?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Apparently, he had an offer from an F1 team but it wasn't Mercedes or Ferrari, so he said no.

By this point Pastor is like the single dude blaming every girl he's gone on a first date with for not making it to a second date.

If he wanted to race and had a budget we'd clearly see him in LMP2 or GTE or GT3 or Indy or even Super Formula. His supposed budget alone would be enough to put a car on the grid in any of those series. But here he is, not racing. There has to be more going on, and I'm guessing it's because his bank balance isn't as healthy as it once was.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

"Thank you Ruoff home mortgage. Conor if you want to look for a new house, I can introduce you to the CEO."

This joke deserves much more love.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So I won't transcribe the whole thing but highlights include "HE'S DONE IT! THE FIRST JAPANESE DRIVER TO WIN THE INDY 500! It's not a dream. It's not a dream, I can't believe it."

I'm sure this was all made better by the fact it was probably before 5 am local time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

I view PWC as sort of the class below IMSA. They're not bad, but you're also not getting the big boy GTLM and GT3 cars you get with IMSA.

it's mentioned but the top cars in PWC are GT3 spec, but besides "PWC X" longer races, most are the sprint 40/45-minute length, which is a different beast from the diversity in race lengths in IMSA.

and yeah Portland still has a track, it needs some work, but before they pull a race together they need somebody there interested in and with the cash to get a race going.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

The other 4 are Hattori, Takagi, Mutoh, and Nakano. Hattori runs a K&N NASCAR team, Mutoh and Nakano still run in SuperGT. Dunno about Takagi. Before sunday, he had the highest ever finish for a Japanese driver in the 500.

Takagi raced Super GT/Super Formula for a few years, I think he even won a Super GT championship, and now is the team director for the #38 ZENT Cerumo Lexus team in Super GT, which I believe is also leading the championship so far this season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Eh,

I'm going to post this here rather than the sports broadcasting. But one of my pet peeves about ESPN covering the sport in the post-Paul Page, Post-Danica era is the the shere lack of effort on their part to cover the sport.

the sport no longer has anyone in upper management who thinks it's worthwhile to invest the time/effort into. Lower your expectations and realize this is a wildly different era to before.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theris posted:

NBCSN acts like they give a poo poo.

...at ESPN/ABC. Because that's in response to the ESPN coverage, both on the day and discussing on any other sports news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Katherine Legge has been doing really well in sportscars the last few years, too. But usual case of right place wrong time.

• Locked thread