Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Michael was probably one of the best drivers in series history.

He was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished '98. Another great season, even if Zanardi curbstomped everyone. Yes I realize testing is on, sorry for derailing.

Things;

- Ganassi-Honda and Zanardi were pretty much perfect. Vasser should get some credit too, he was very consistent and reliable.
- Ford was arguaby the most powerful if not the most driveable, Mercedes falling back, Toyota made huge strides.
- Reynard obviously still the best, Swift Good, Penske's PC27 very mediocre (and ended Ribiero's career in the process), Lola reduced to 1 car with mediocre German at the helm. Hard to say how good it was. Gurney bets farm on the 9x7-series chassis. Should have stuck with Reynards in Hindsight.
- The awakening of Kool-Green and Franchitti. Penske sliding into the midfield or worse, Pacwest nowhere all year.
- Rookie Kanaan and baby Helio :kiddo:
- Goodyear blows (sometimes literally) and the Melancholy of Al Unser Jr.
- Goodbye Bobby.Herta very impressive.
- Paul Tracy somehow not being fired for shoving and arguing with your boss after crashing into your teammate while running 1-2.
- Houston Street Circuit :lol:
- 30 cars at a non Indy race! (Motegi)
- Long Beach. This race is amazing.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 11, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love that Lola even if it was in the Junk Formula.

Also, I hope Jimmy sticks around. He's a good guy.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 16, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Herta was the king of getting Pole Position/getting into the lead then having circumstances work against him or blowing it. In 1998 ESPN repeatedly showed a montage of Herta getting owned by Zanardi before races.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maldonado :pray:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm all for more one off/partial schedule cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's British Leyland or Packard.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

God, how loving bloated would a DW12 need to be to fit a SBC in back?

Huge. Also it would have massive aero problems. Coyne tried to use an Atmo 6.5L SBC in the mid-80s and the car couldn't break 140mph at Indy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Penske actually reverted to being a semi-single car team in 1999. Some odd driver choices during the year too.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Lola B99 they were using alongside the PC-27 was modified as well.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
'99 was arguably worse. Like '98 was bad but they were still occasionally competitive, in '99 Unser Jr. and Tarso Marquez/Alex Barron (???) were way down the field fighting with the likes of Luis Garcia JR. for 20th place.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

The PC27B is a great example of how having too many open options (chassis, engine, and tires) can leave even a perfectly capable team with completely uncompetitive garbage.

I honestly wonder which hurt Roger more, not qualifying for the '95 500 or that cluster gently caress of the whole '99 season.

The PC-27B's biggest problem was probably the tires(the Lola that they used also didn't bring great results) Goodyear looked like they gave up in 1999. The Ilmor was increasingly uncompetitive as well, a problem that didn't only affect Penske. So much so that he, uh, stopped using engines from the company he owned.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Between the Ilmor packaging problem, Goodyear eating poo poo and Penske Cars losing all drivability they're lucky they even had podiums

The PC-27 was decent on ovals, the B much less so. All of the post-split Penskes were good on ovals but deficient everywhere else, and this problem only continued to get worse post 1996.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

Yeah I'm thinking purely in the way they market themselves. Super Formula is happy to be a stepping stone, Indycar would rather avoid it.

That said, I suspect what would override that for Indycar is having guaranteed car count.

Super Formula is unique as it's halfway between GP2 and a Top Tier series.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Large corporation? Terrible? WELL I NEVER.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The worst company is actually the Indy Racing League

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Alfa or MB? Good stuff.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm almost done 1999 - this Houston street circuit is still appalling.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Cygni Alfa was also around in '89 with Guerrero as a driver.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Vancouver II was terrible, though that might just be me remembering how great the first Vancouver street course was.

It would be mediocre even if old Vancouver had not existed. OldVan was awesome.

Alain Post posted:

the old 90s Denver wasn't like, abominable but it was like the worst case of an American street circuit being nothing but right hand bends and short straights.

Average speed: 128km/h.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Montoya was really accident prone on street circuits in '99.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
'99 is very good because it goes down to the wire but it ends in the worst possible way. I think Fontana was the point where CART started to die. This was also the last year for more than 2 chassis and a single tire.

- Hondas were king again, but the Ford had more raw power and the Toyota looked increasingly competitive as the year wore on, and by the end had surpassed Mercedes which struggled with driveability problems.

-Reynards were the most successful again but the Lolas looked good; especially in the hands of Hogan and Castroneves, it's just too bad about the constant reliability issues that blighted the team the whole year. The Swift only worked for Newman-Haas, the Eagle 997 was generally regarded as a failure and spelt the end of AAR in open wheel. AAR also employed a merry-go-round of drivers which really did not help. The Penske PC-27B was a massive disappointment; Little Al looked like he wanted to kill himself as the season wore on, and they actually reverted to being a one car team most of the year with no fixed driver lineup in the sporadically appearing second car. They used a 'Penskized" B99/00 as well, to little effect. Definitely their worst-ever season.

-Firestone monstered Goodyear. Of the Goodyears, only the Walker cars were even remotely competitive (primarily DeFerran's., though Hattori qualified 7th at Houston and Gidley put it in the midfield a few times). It contributed to the other problems that Eagle and Penske were suffering from. They wisely withdrew at year's end.

- Standout drivers: Montoya, Franchitti, Tracy (surprisingly), Papis, Andretti (again and again), Moore, Castroneves, Kanaan, Fernandez

-Honourable Mentions: Moreno, Da Matta, Pruett, Gordon, Hearn

-Dishonourable Mentions: PJ Jones, Shigeaki Hattori

-How does this guy keep getting rides?: Dennis Vitolo

-Journeyman: Gualter Salles (3 teams in one year)

RIP Gonchi and Moore.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Honda cars have brake issues now. Honda can do nothing right.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

that video makes me excited for the aeroscreens in 2018, weirdly

Same here.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Marco Andretti has topped a session. I repeat - Marco Andretti has topped a session.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
P1 doesn't mean much...at all.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dixon on top, followed by Power.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Who does the Chevy aerokit? That front wing is really detailed.

Pratt and Miller.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
GOD DAMMIT!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do the Hondas also have better mileage now in addition to power?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

But it's never that simple. Phoenix has a Cup date on March 19. Every day you move closer to that date, you are cannibalizing a portion of your own attendance. Barber has had the same relative date for years. You dont want to mess with that. Same with St Pete and Long Beach.

I mean a great date to fill that gap would be someplace warm in March/April, with a limited autoracing presence. Like, say, New Orleans... ah poo poo.

Did NOLA ever fix the drainage issue?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
- Helter Skelter
- Wonderhill
- Edge of The Earth
- Out of Blue
- Phantomile
- Brightest Night
- Heaven and Hell
- Shooting Hoops

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

1 oval isn't gonna cut it if you listen to some fans.

(actually don't think shooting hoops is an oval, been a while)

Close. It's bizarrely called an "Oval Course" in the manual but in reality it's a cross between 1955-1973 Monza with old Fuji's banked turn .

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cleveland's starts were always fun.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ordinaire posted:

From last page but holy poo poo, beating that game as the American team was so satisfying as a kid.

Hmmmm.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't say "well" into the 90s, other than Penske.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Eagle 987 and 997 too.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The bizzare thing was that Robby Gordon made much better use of the Eagle than AAR did. Leads me to believe that Goodyear was severely handicapping them. I think the PC-27-99 might have been better with Firestone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It really depends on the model of tire you have, rather than brand.

Goodyear is not great at racing tires though.

• Locked thread