Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not-at-all bold prediction: Marco claims to have made more progress in the offseason, but the only battle he really factors in is for "full season AA driver with the least points" between him and Sato-san.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It seems very odd that Chip would jump to Honda if he has a further jump to Ford or someone else to follow that up in just another year, but I've been wrong on a great many things before.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't the core problem with that the sheer forces involved in modern oval racing being incompatible with any sort of tread blocks? For that matter, what was the last 500 winner to have any real tread on the tires? Clark's Lotus 38? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want so much as a sprinkle under those tires, but it seems like downforce and full slicks came hand in hand.

You could probably string together a few laps with road course levels of downforce, but you'd have 2005 USGP levels of tire wear.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Peanut President posted:

That article just says that Indycar is freezing aerokit development in hopes that it could possibly attract new engine manufacturers who are too lazy/cheap to do aerokits.

There was an awful lot of "we hope" in that article. It's not like lack of an engine is the only reason there's not 28 full season rides.

Also I'm certain that any OEM that was considering developing an aero kit said "gently caress, nope" as soon as they saw the gap between the Chevy and HPD kits. The nature of this series is such that if you miss the aero by even a small amount, you will be an also-ran. Coming in as an outsider with unproven engines and aero probably looked like a recipe to save Honda from being last out of two.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 12, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe, maybe not. Chevy would've been a moving target, and starting out that far ahead is going to be an advantage no matter what you allow during the season. It also would've increased costs for manufacturers and teams that can barely afford this as-is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The biggest reason I'm not all "rargh must get new tub NOW" is that cockpit protection is pretty much the only thing the DW12 can't easily get. The bare tub itself is still safe, still fast, and the aero around it is extremely reconfigurable.

I am down with that concept art, goddamn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamnit, Mikhail is the only good thing about Russia.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Edit: He was a bad enough dude to run the DOOM livery for the Month of May

And infinitely badder than that were all of his qualifying runs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is Good News. The fact that the reds are a complete unknown until qualifying has never seemed like it makes any sense.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Time to restart the KV Crash Counter for 2017!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9BmgSit9cA

I love that they had two crashes in the first turn of the first lap of the season. :allears:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 18, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, don't put it past Bernie Eccelstone to blow something out of proportion. Whether or not CART was a legit threat (and I like to think it was), if Bernie perceives something as such he's gonna burn it to the ground.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

ed- To keep this relevant to IndyCar: NASCAR has already tweaked its championship format with points gimmicks, and is now further using points gimmicks to spice up the racing. IndyCar has had to rely on that too (quali points at Indy, double points at Sonoma), but it's been a minor change compared to the major changes they've been doing with new cars, quality drivers, the Road to Indy program. I wonder what NASCAR would do if this didn't work? Because the minor changes to the points system are starting to become major changes to the sport, and if those don't work NASCAR doesn't have much to fall back on except contraction.

One of these days, someone needs to sit down and run through the results for the past few years with double-points / Indy Qual points removed and see just how much it actually shook things up in terms of championships, instead of just having more drivers mathematically possible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phoenix is getting some, ah, renovations...

quote:

SHIFTING OF START-FINISH LINE: The start and finish line for Phoenix International Raceway will be shifted in Turn Two to before the "dog leg"

"By shifting the start/finish line to Phoenix Raceway's famed dog leg, fans will be perfectly positioned to watch one of the most exciting turns in motorsports," said Bryan R. Sperber, president of Phoenix Raceway, in a news release.

:confuoot:

They're demolishing the old stands along the front straight, and renovating the Bobby Allison stands, which are already the newest ones.

A 1/2-side tunnel for easier access to the garage will be nice, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't put it past them to not renumber the turns or anything, though :v:

I'm all for the upgraded infield / garage, it looks like it'll be similar to the garage setup at Fontana. Gonna be weird without the front straight stands and the old press box, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of TK, drat he's got some good taste in cars.

Obviously one of those was a prize, but a Carerra GT to go with it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As long as he keeps making half-assed qualifying attempts, Buddy Lazier is still the Buddy Lazier.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

Yeah, it's basically a lack of competition thing. Dallara got to a point where they could make good chassis at a cost effective price and people used them. So other people used them. So Ralt and Reynard went under. So other people used Dallara....

You can probably trace this back to the tobacco money leaving, and more spec consolidation. The money isn't there to support the costs of multiple shops doing very small runs of cars with revisions throughout each season. It's barely there to support something like the DW12, which is downright mass produced by comparison.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As someone who already bought Friday tickets, that change might've been enough for me to just go Saturday :v: But it is a Good Change overall for sure.

On P2P, the more I think about it, the more I really like the restart rule. Because restarts are one of the best places to pass, it has become a given that everyone mashes the P2P button and burns one on a restart. This means the net effect of P2P on the action at the restart is zero, and the net effect on the rest of the race is one less P2P attempt.

Dudley posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Not so long ago you had 28 full time cars who (mostly) replaced the car every year vs now where there's 22 and I believe several 2012 tubs still on the grid.

To be fair, it's a bit chicken-and-egg here. The rules packages were written to discourage most of the changes that would've occurred year-to-year in the past. You're right in that there's definitely plenty of "vintage" DW12s running around. RHR's 2014 500 winner was still racing last year until Pocono, and I wouldn't be surprised if that tub first ran in 2012 or 2013.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 6, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

2017 Indycar Series: Our 500 is still 500 miles :smuggo:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doubleposting Breaking my post into heats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWogdWo1ipA

Fond memories of watching this race in person :3:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

The Indianapolis 500 In-A-Row

Villneff

Jack Vilneff. That's how we do it.

I did not properly appreciate the sound of these 2.65L cars when I was 10. Goddamn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had forgotten about Michael's tire flying out of the track. :stonk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Michael was probably one of the best drivers in series history.

That was an extremely stupid move, though.

Yep and yep.

Having watched the rest of that '94 Phoenix race (back when Indycar didn't get shoved three networks down when they ran out of their timeslot), I think the lack of speed differential is a big part of why last year's Phoenix race was a processional, while they used to go three wide. I still think the re-profiling has a lot to do with it, but the gap from first to last in terms of speed is just not that big. In 1994, Tracy caught Jeff Andretti in just five laps. It took Helio ~18 laps to catch Hinch last year.

It also blows my mind a bit that Mario retired from competition in 1994, and yet he's still running the two-seater as hard as they'll let him today.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Also Dixon sporting his KKK attire

This is the first time since 2002 that he has been in an Indycar without Target on it in some capacity, goddamn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh hell yes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wicka posted:

Anybody have a steering wheel diagram or know what he's fiddling with at the start of the clip?

Engine mapping, I think? The buttons he kept using through the run were probably swaybar or weight jacker.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

He said Phoenix was his first oval ever back in '96.

Was Lights and CART still testing at that place in spite of the split?

Most likely. There was no shortage of testing at Firebird in those days too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AJ's in the news! :woop:

For stem cells.

quote:

Foyt has survived it all but not without a struggle. He now is looking for a “fountain of youth” and told the Verizon INDYCAR Mobile App that he will undergo stem cell therapy in Cancun, Mexico.

“They have to cut away some of the tissue from my stomach and it takes 8-10 weeks for it to grow back to produce the stem cells,” Foyt said in an exclusive interview. “I'll probably have it done soon so that we can begin the treatment within the next two to three months.”

:confuoot:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcL43RGNa64

His answer to "How many wins did Bryan Herta have as a driver"... loving :lol:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Get your drink on!" sounds so awesomely not-Penske. Josef is gonna be the next PT. :neckbeard:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

EDIT: It should also be noted that Miller is the official sponsor of IndyCar as a whole, so just picture every driver in front of that cooler. Probably should be Hinch doing that promo

I doubt Hinch can bring himself to openly endorse any beer other than:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Sadly I've had Hammerdown and it's an average beer at best :saddowns:

I am the world's least qualified voice on anything alcohol-related. It all tastes foul to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamn, reading through that article, sounds like Gentilozzi is a real piece of poo poo. Knew he was going to lose so he folded Rocketsports and started RSR with the same building, people, and assets.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh god he's still at it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kathy Plourde - Human Resources

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dentist toy box posted:

That Paul Tracy Uber diss is still the best thing ever.

It was loving savage, and I expect no less from Canada's One True Racer and 2002 Indy 500 Winner Paul Tracy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Briggs and Stratton.

Or Cummins.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dsriggs posted:

Roger Rager's bringing the school bus engine out of retirement

God, how loving bloated would a DW12 need to be to fit a SBC in back?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

-"DULLARAH IS A BAD CHASSIS. IT'S NOT LIKE PANOZ, LOLA OR REYNARD"

Nevermind that Reynard died in 2002, Lola died in 2012, and Penske stopped building his own cars after the PC-27B disaster in 1999. I can't even figure out what the gently caress Panoz is up to these days.

The DW12 is far from perfect, but I still think most of the hate for it comes from people who look at it and see the IR03 instead, and associate that car as being the one that was gaining ground in the IRL while Champ Car was dying. There's also the simple fact that Dallara has apparently figured out how to be a commercially viable racecar manufacturer, which is about as massive an oxymoron as I can think of.

I will say that all of the photos of DW12s in testing with the rear wheel pods removed give me a bit of James May's "fizz". :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The rear bumpers look fine and anyone who wails about them is being a massive idiot.

"They look so ugggggllyyyyy!!!" Yeah, you know what else looks ugly? Indycars somersaulting into fences after front-rear-wheel contact. gently caress off.

I hold no negative feelings about the rear bumpers, but the cars still look way better without them. They also haven't been as successful as hoped in reducing over/underride wrecks.

Also loving :lol: at Galmer having a website.

• Locked thread