Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Peanut President posted:

That article just says that Indycar is freezing aerokit development in hopes that it could possibly attract new engine manufacturers who are too lazy/cheap to do aerokits.

I think it was Marshall Pruett who said this, but most OEMs don't want aerokits. It's not like IMSA DPis where you can kinda make a family resemblance, and it means a whole bundle of new costs and competencies that you might not already have in house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm for KVSH surviving, so this is a good move if it goes to plan.

Also the hilarity of seeing Pastor in an IndyCar might be worth seeing things.

Also why does Trackforum/Crapwagon believe that CART was starting to get on "equal" footing with F1 during the mid 90's? Every F1 fan (from outside of the US) I've ran into has said the opposite. I can maybe see pockets of growth within Japan, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Australia and a few South American countries. But the concept of some guy who followed Senna, Prost and Mansell turning the TV to watch the series run at Elkhart Lake on premium cable seems a bit odd.

Mansell moving to CART had a huge effect and the sport got a lot of attention in the U.K.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

Considering how much has changed at Audi and VAG, especially at board management, it doesn't make much sense to build the theory through multiple-years-old stories and rumors.

Formula E is pennies, they're in DTM because it's a big game of chicken between the German makes, and their GT3 efforts are simple and make them money. IndyCar would have to be from somebody at Audi USA really wanting to do that, and I can't see that happening at this time.

I know the motorsport people at Audi NA. There is more chance of me funding an Indycar engine program than there is of Audi doing the same. In fact, that was true even before dieselgate. Thinking otherwise is just Trump or Plourde levels of delusion.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

njsykora posted:

Sebring is the only other major US circuit I can think of that doesn't have an Indycar date aside from the ones you mentioned. Though I don't see any way a top level open wheeler could even hope to go down Sebring's main straight. Then there's Lime Rock but Lime Rock's locals are even worse than Laguna's. Really I think Road Atlanta is the most likely if they do go looking for another road course.

Indycar teams test at Sebring, iirc.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

Uncle probably knows better than me (i think he works in this world), but it sure seems like Hybrids are dying unless your name is Toyota or youre making a hyper car. Pretty much every new non-truck I see these days is an I4 turbo or V6 turbo. 2017 Lexus NX, Merc GLC, Lincoln Continental, Volvo S90, etc. Unless you are reusing an older engine, really seems like everything new is I4 or V6 with a snail.

There are hybrid versions of the GLC and Volvo, and the NX is an utterly garbage car no one should buy. Haven't driven a Lincoln yet.

Hybrids aren't dying by any stretch of the imagination.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

njsykora posted:

The ACO will subsidise LMP1-H until they go bankrupt. That they said new teams coming into LMP1 couldn't use hybrids unless they built them themselves shows that's a hill they're willing to die on.

Subsidize? With what? Peugeot shuttered its team on the eve of a season and they didn't (couldn't have) saved it. The OEMs provide the series and the organizers with support, not the other way around. Even if you win overall you only get about $300k.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Norns posted:

Kamui Kobayashi please and thank you

loving Caterham...

Kamui is rather busy being a Toyota LMP1 factory driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

You'd think it'd still be full after eating a whole Legge

And that's why I keep reading this thread.

• Locked thread