Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Yeah running is a loosely defined term for Buddy nowadays. I wish he'd just use his money to fund someone young in the 500.

Also Conor Daly is gonna be on the next season of American Ninja Warrior

quote:

Following in the athletic footsteps of fellow drivers Helio Castroneves, Tony Kanaan and Josef Newgarden, Daly will venture to San Antonio this weekend to participate in a regional qualifier for the Emmy-nominated NBC obstacle course challenge show that will air its ninth season this summer.

Daly, 25, will make his bid to complete the challenge course sometime after dark Sunday night. The AJ Foyt Racing driver got a taste of the task ahead when the show held a regional competition last April in Indianapolis that included Castroneves, Kanaan and Newgarden as participants. Daly was permitted to try one of the obstacles, the Circuit Board, for an online segment of "American Ninja Warrior: Crashing the Course."

While Daly didn't fare well that day, he is excited to compete in San Antonio. The episode from the San Antonio regional is scheduled to air June 19, the Monday leading in to the KOHLER Grand Prix at Road America (June 25, NBCSN).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
New drawing of the 2018 car just dropped:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Agreed, that was my first reaction too. Hope it isn't compromising driver foot protection to do so.

I do get a kick out of just how dramatically the DW12 can be changed while still being "a DW12". As much as I liked the days of new developments in chassis every year, the only thing the DW12 hasn't done yet is a 237.5MPH lap at Indy. And I'm not sure what that would prove to anyone.

The nose cone won't have any impact on the tub and driver safety since it's a fully detachable & replaceable piece (also tethered on ovals)
It's such a tribute to Dan that the core of the car has pretty much been the same since 2012, yet will have 3 distinct "eras".

Interesting sidenote, I like how the holes in the floor will remain but the sidefins on the floor have reversed direction.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

That's the oval car I assume.

Yeah that's definitely the speedway package and looks amazing. They always release the speedway stuff first since it's the easier package to build.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

The issue this year is the same lack of aerokits/tubs/engines as last year. And to be fair to the team owners, there is no fuckin way I would pay the $300-400k for a speedway aerokit if I didn't already have one to run the 500 this year, knowing full well they will be worthless the day after the race. (They are using the speedway kits again this year, but the full time runners already have enough for that unless the 500 is a crash fest)

For the record, there's no requirement in the rules that teams use manufacturer-specific aero kits. They are free to use the stock Dallara aero (with the hole in the floor cut out). Granted nobody would do that since they'd be at a competitive disadvantage, but the option is there.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

what the hell is happening on this dumbass planet

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/04/04-03-Loki-sponsors-Pigot

Man they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for sponsors nowadays, but money is money :unsmith:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can't hate that top three but what the flying gently caress at the Andretti Honda problems.

I can't wait for the investigation of what happened, half of my fantasy lineup were Andretti cars :smith:

I wonder what the mileages were on those engines, I'm willing to bet they were all pretty close to each other when the failures occurred.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Fun Fact: Out of the 8 different timing sectors at Long Beach, this past race had 8 different drivers leading those sectors

http://nasportscar.com/behind-the-numbers-indycar-toyota-grand-prix-of-long-beach/

Read my first article with my new affiliation jerkbags

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

Nasport Scar? Who dat?

Established sports car outlet that's expanding into open wheel and stock car. I'm writing IndyCar stuff for them. This is a much better idea than trying to start my own thing.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
gently caress parking anywhere near that track but I really wanna go back next year. Still need to do Sonoma first

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to sit at the 500? Or is it all pretty decent?

If it's your first time your options are limited, but the place is massive enough that you'll be fine. Not sure what reserved seating is available, but there's lots of GA viewing space around the track. I believe Snake Pit tickets are still available.

Also all this Alonso & McLaren stuff is incredible :getin:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

I honestly hopes he enjoys the less stuffy environment in IndyCar. I'm sure everybody will be going out of their way to make sure he has a good time.

Apparently this means only allowing certain media to attend the aforementioned press conference. This is gonna be a good weekend down south y'all :getin:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I'm still waiting for Jenna's 3rd and final segment for the real action

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

See, I don't understand this statement, because that implies it's possible to spend "too much time" there.

Once they legalize :420: in Indiana the Mug n' Bun will see all time record sales. God drat sweet potato fries & root beer

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

What brand of root beer do they have there?

Their own brand of root beer :getin:

Norns posted:

Also what kinda sauce do they pair with those sweet potato fries.? This is important

I didn't realize people used sauce on sweet potato fries :iiam:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

3 wide for the lead in the F2000 race (on Racecontrol if you wanna watch). Love the big field for these cars, hope it keeps growing.

Yeah this USF2000 race has been pretty good, loving these new cars

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Another beautiful day here at Barber! Walked into the media center this morning right as the power went out...

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I knew I should have bet someone here that Marco wouldn't make it out of the 1st round of qualifying, I knew it had to be a lock since he was fast in practice. Marco has yet to make it out of the 1st round all season

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
It's race day!

Lots of rain overnight and some this morning, but it's finally starting to clear up. Weather is about 20° cooler today than the rest of the weekend, which will have a big impact on the cars. Many cars are not expected to participate in final warm-up due to wet track conditions and the expectation that the race will be dry.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Interesting note, today's Indy Lights race was the 400th ever Lights race and was won by Colton Herta

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

financially racist posted:

is this a cardboard cutout display or an actual human being

I just took that pic like 10 min ago and I honestly can't even tell anymore
That's actually Colton

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Also speaking of dumb women saying dumb things about racing, don't forget about Danica

quote:

Q: With former Formula One champion Fernando Alonso entering this year's Indy 500, do you think there are drivers in other series who could jump over to NASCAR for one-off races?

Patrick: "I feel like with Indy cars, you can just show up -- if you are equipped to build and make a nice car, then you could be competitive.
"But in NASCAR I don't see that even being possible for someone to just show up with a car. There's too much evolution of the tricks and bells and whistles and all the things it takes to be fast in stock-car racing that you wouldn't know."

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

NBCSN is covering the race, so I expect it to be the second thing they talk about after the race intro.

They managed to make it about 20 minutes before talking about Alonso, although I did see T Bell stalking around Alonso waiting to pounce

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I severely regret not reading this thread earlier because I would have actually had something to say to Paul Tracy and Max Chilton as we were standing in line to go through airport security :smith:

Edit: Check out my recap of today's race

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 24, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Interesting and super positive note from Barber

IndyCar posted:

Barber officials announced a three-day attendance of 82,745, which equated to a ticket revenue increase of more than 10 percent from last year.

This seems to be a trend lately, I know St Pete had record attendance this year too

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I remember when it first went on the schedule everyone was worried it would be a processional with no passing. I can't remember a race that hasn't had loads of good moves, though.

In all honesty there wasn't a whole lot of passing, but the passing that happened was pretty good

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, still hype as gently caress about this.

Yeah we'll have to get some sort of goon meet 500 weekend, I'm camping in the coke lot again

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Just received this interesting and I think great press release from The Happiest Place on Earth

Indianapolis Motor Speedway posted:

IMS Seating To Be Smoke-Free Beginning in October 2017

INDIANAPOLIS, Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - The Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced today that its grandstands will be entirely smoke-free beginning with the 2017 Red Bull Air Race. In addition, leading up to the Air Race, the track will provide limited smoke-free family grandstands at select Month of May events and at the Brickyard 400.

Only applies to the grandstands, so feel free to toke away in the Snake Pit

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Not to defend Jenna, but she does make a valid point if Alonso were to win.

Jenna posted:

If [Alonso] does (win), where does IndyCar go from there? Alonso won't be at Detroit the next week, or Texas, or help the series' television ratings as the season goes on.

While that is valid, good or bad, all that really matters is the 500

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Looks like the idea got nixed, qualification has been moved back to Friday:
http://www.indycar.com/Schedule/2017/IndyCar-Series/Phoenix

Yeah I believe the reasoning was so that more fans would come out Friday and that they're qualifying under the lights just like the race.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Really enjoyed the Buxton article, he makes some amazing points

Cygni posted:

youll be shocked (SHOCKED) to learn that fryer unleashed another pouty twitter storm because of that article

Best of her tweets

https://twitter.com/STaranto92/status/857967520447430657
https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/857967635732066304

I mean I've seen some pretty egregious eating habits in the media center, but nothing like that. Just more fake news

WindyMan posted:

I don't go out of my way for NASCAR anymore, but if friends or internet-friends wanted to get a group together for a Cup race at Fontana and I had that weekend free, you'd better fuckin' believe I'd go. I wonder if F1 snobs or Crapwagonners would do the same.

The closest major track to me is MIS, and I've never been there. I would never pay money to attend a NASCAR race there, so I don't think I'll ever go to MIS

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 28, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

I've attended over 20 IndyCar race/testing events over the last 2+ seasons, and I can't recall ever seeing Jenna anywhere so I guess she wouldn't be saving the AP much money

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Alright, if anyone would know, it'd be this thread, but are there any good indy podcasts out there? I need something to pass the time driving to school (40 minutes each day).

Probably the best is Marshall Pruett's
https://marshallpruett.podbean.com/

There's also the Indy Sportscar Podcast by a couple of people I've met at the track
https://indysportscarpodcast.podbean.com/

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

How badly would you kill me if I said I could potentially go to the race at RA but don't?

You'd essentially be killing yourself, RA is incredible. My dad and I went last year and will be back this year. The entire ladder is there plus PWC, definitely one of the most action-packed weekends on the schedule

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Pretty sure Formula Juan is running in the Indy GP as well

WindyMan posted:

There's probably a silent agreement going on here about Montoya sticking with Penske so that he can be first in line for the rumored/impending Penske entry into sportscar racing.

This is true as well

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Paging IOC and Bentai

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/140089-miller-indycar-s-desert-debacle

quote:

If the IndyCar paddock could send a message to the few thousand souls who showed up at Phoenix International Raceway or the people trying to watch Saturday night's race on NBCSN, it would be brief and heartfelt:

We're sorry.

"They should refund everyone's money," one prominent driver said afterward.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Ok so tomorrow will be the first time Alonso actually drives the car at IMS.

quote:

A fully produced live show will be televised online from 9:30 a.m.-noon, with an announcing team of 1969 Indianapolis 500 winner and 1978 Formula One World Champion Mario Andretti and NBC Sports Network's Verizon IndyCar Series talent Kevin Lee and Robin Miller. Coverage of the test will continue from 1-5 p.m. with a live stream without commentary.

YouTube link to watch tomorrow

Just the thought of Mario Andretti & Robin Miller commentating will be amazing

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Basticle posted:

I'm so hyped. I cant watch at work, it stands to reason that they'll put up everything to watch on youtube later, right? they seem to do that for everything else.

It'll be livestreaming on YouTube and I'm sure you'll be able to watch it later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXh9uxthFnk

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

my boys better sleep as long as possible this morning. I wanna see him run.

gently caress that take them to the track :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

i volunteered to do just that, she said no. considering divorce.

2nd best reason for divorce behind infidelity

iospace posted:

Are you at the track today?

I wish but it's a 4hr drive and I gotta work all day :smith:

I'll be there next Fri-Sat for the Indy GP then Thu-Sun for the 500, media creds approved :getin:

• Locked thread