Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ever since I first got the DVDs back in 2002, I've spent the days leading up to the new year watching my favorite movies of all time. One thing that bugs me: why did Doc set all those clocks 25 minutes ahead? It's not exactly a round number. Did he send them all 1 minute into the future 25 times? It's pretty much the only question I have left about these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missus Dill
May 8, 2007

My favorite movies, too. My question is, how did Clara Clayton and Doc meet before Marty went to 1885? Didn't she fall into the ravine? They just so happened to see her when they were out scouting locations to get the Delorean going fast enough to go back to 1985, but was Doc doing the same thing before Marty came from 1955?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Don't forget the kid in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq5-6PkVGCg&t=22s

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Missus Dill posted:

My favorite movies, too. My question is, how did Clara Clayton and Doc meet before Marty went to 1885? Didn't she fall into the ravine? They just so happened to see her when they were out scouting locations to get the Delorean going fast enough to go back to 1985, but was Doc doing the same thing before Marty came from 1955?

If Marty didn't go to 1885, Doc would've picked up Clara at the train station instead of focusing on fixing the DeLoreon and sending Marty back to the future.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Is the Marty that original Marty sees escape the Libyans (the one who travels back in time just before Doc reveals the bullet proof vest) a different person than the Marty we have been watching? It seems like he must be because he was raised in a happy and successful household.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Grifter posted:

Is the Marty that original Marty sees escape the Libyans (the one who travels back in time just before Doc reveals the bullet proof vest) a different person than the Marty we have been watching? It seems like he must be because he was raised in a happy and successful household.

Well, we don't know exactly how Marty and Doc Brown got to be friends in the first place, so it's within the realm of possibility that everything goes on as normal there with minimal differences between timelines. Hell, there might be a bootstrap paradox here!

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

i rewatched the trilogy on the day marty travels forward to, and i think bttf 3 is better than 2. bttf 1 is like, the most unified and clockwork movie ever, and bttf 2 is all over the place, through like 4 different hill valleys, it's a collection of fun stuff happening, then bttf 3 is kinda a rehash but it's back to being one setting, with one story

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Chwoka posted:

i rewatched the trilogy on the day marty travels forward to, and i think bttf 3 is better than 2. bttf 1 is like, the most unified and clockwork movie ever, and bttf 2 is all over the place, through like 4 different hill valleys, it's a collection of fun stuff happening, then bttf 3 is kinda a rehash but it's back to being one setting, with one story

I like 2 better than 3 personally just because I think it has more memorable stuff but admittedly it does lack the heart of the first one. I can imagine audiences seeing it for the first time getting off-put by this weird dark follow up to the beloved classic first movie that also re-uses a bunch of footage from it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Missus Dill posted:

They didn't meet. They weren't there to save her so she drove her carriage into the ravine, it was renamed Clayton Ravine after her, and Doc was murdered still a virgin.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Pneub posted:

They didn't meet. They weren't there to save her so she drove her carriage into the ravine, it was renamed Clayton Ravine after her, and Doc was murdered still a virgin.

But he was survived by his beloved Clara

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Original timeline in which Marty grows up: Doc is not there to save Clara, she dies, Marty and Doc know it as Clayton Ravine.

"Lost" timeline in which only Doc goes to 1855: Doc saves Clara and dies a week later, the ravine is presumably named something else. (I think they might say its original name in the movie.)

"Branch" timeline in which Marty goes to 1855: Doc saves Clara, Marty duels Tannen, Marty goes back to 1985 so people in town think he died, the ravine is called Eastwood Ravine.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Drink-Mix Man posted:

gently caress, forgot about the gravestone.

~Coxy posted:

"Lost" timeline in which only Doc goes to 1855: Doc saves Clara and dies a week later, the ravine is presumably named something else. (I think they might say its original name in the movie.)

There we go. Marty and Doc wouldn't have known what the name of the ravine changed to post-1885.

(it was Shonash Ravine originally)

Pneub fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 6, 2017

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Drink-Mix Man posted:

don't we only see that particular epigraph after clara is saved? before that the grave would have read something else

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Tinker Tankie Soldier Spy posted:

don't we only see that particular epigraph after clara is saved? before that the grave would have read something else

There are two scenarios in which Clara is saved. In the first "alterered" timeline, Doc "saves" Clara by picking her up at the train station (thanks ~Coxy), then he is murdered and we get that tombstone.

Later, Marty further alters the past and causes the chain of events where they have to save her at the ravine, but we don't get a tombstone out of that.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
In the timeline after Marty goes back (post-BttF3), I guess Doc and Clara managed to blame the whole thing on a failed train hijacking by "Clint Eastwood".

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pneub posted:

In the timeline after Marty goes back (post-BttF3), I guess Doc and Clara managed to blame the whole thing on a failed train hijacking by "Clint Eastwood".

And yet, they honor him by naming the ravine after him!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pneub posted:

all-Rush mixtape posted:

And yet, they honor him by naming the ravine after him!

"It's a science experiment!"

RIP failed scientist Clint Eastwood.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I guess the reason I'm not as big a fan of Part III is that the stakes are lower.

Part I: You could be erased from history!
Part II: You could destroy the universe!
Part III: You could die!

It sticks out.

edit: Also, if Dave McFly is a successful businessman, why does he still live with his parents?

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 10, 2017

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I guess the reason I'm not as big a fan of Part III is that the stakes are lower.

Part I: You could be erased from history!
Part II: You could destroy the universe!
Part III: You could die!

It sticks out.

edit: Also, if Dave McFly is a successful businessman, why does he still live with his parents?

i dont loving know man, i just watch these movies for the epicness and the cool car.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

i dont loving know man, i just watch these movies for the epicness and the cool car.

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Palpek posted:

Don't forget the kid in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq5-6PkVGCg&t=22s

lol

• Locked thread