Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Happy New Year's Eve, fellow AI brethren in booze & bookchat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:master:
2017 will be off to a good start. I have a pork shoulder smoking on the grill, I've finally got enough pennies in my piggy bank to buy the E90 M3 I've been :words: about for the last couple years. I'm sorely tempted to even go full dumb and buy that red one that Enthusiast Auto Group has because it is exactly what I want in a car.

Just buy the one you want, the couple grand difference you might save in 'being frugal' or whatever isn't going to be worth the time you don't have an E9x M3, and having The One You Wanted counts for quite a bit. Like the artist formerly known as meatpimp said, $40k is probably around what you should be expecting to pay.

Also I don't know about Utah, but in California you have to pay sales tax on used cars, so don't forget there'll be a surprise $4k or so bill on top of your purchase price if it's the same there.

When I got mine, the seller and I had decided on a rather reasonable price for what was essentially a brand new car with 16k miles - and shook on it - then as he's rummaging for the paperwork in his kitchen drawers 30 seconds later, he dropped a grand off the price because why not.

I doubt EAG will do that, but - who cares. You'll have the E9x M3 you actually were looking for.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

that car is sweet but is there a reason you want the DCT instead of a 6speed?

Better performance, better sound thanks to aggressive downshift rev matching every time - if you want - completely docile if you don't, better mated to the S65's ability to rev through three gears in 4 seconds and back down through five in 3, easier to live with in stop and go commuter traffic, easier to keep both hands on the wheel while doing keerazy M3 poo poo in MDM, gains launch control, and because the manual transmission on these is dull and nondescript and doesn't add as much to this car as it does in other cars with less suited alternatives. That's my guesses, but I may be biased. Driving a manual is considerably more fun in many other case, but just didn't impress me as matching the rest of this car as well as the DCT did when I was buying mine.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ferremit posted:

I still cant get my head around this concept- You buy a car to drive it, not to have it sit there and look at it. And then the argument of "It affects the resale!" comes up and it falls back to that old statement of "Keeping the mileage down on your car so its better when you sell it is kind of like not loving your girlfriend so shes tighter for the next guy"

Makes absolutely zero sense to me- The tyre bit, oh hell yeah, but not the mileage bit.

Except no time in the history of girlfriends has one ever had any resale value whatsoever regardless of the unit's fuckered-to-pieces status, since they're not, y'know, property - whereas collectable performance cars tend to have an actual, tangible resale market that is directly correlated to the relative freshness of the vehicle.

Buying a 420hp RWD machine that's on semi-slicks that costs $200 to do an oil change (if you do it yourself) (and you're definitely going to want to do at least that before driving your new $47k performance toy cross-country) (and wants oil changes every 5000 miles so you're going to be doing another one a few weeks after you get home) and then immediately adding 3.5% of the car's lifetime mileage by driving it 2000 miles at 15mpg (9 stops! 23 hours of seat time! $500 in fuel!) on the world's straightest, flattest, & most boring piece of a highway (I-80) through ice and slush and snow and bullshit is a Really Dumb Way to use a E90 M3.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ferremit posted:

Guess you and I look at it from different perspectives
I don't think it's that different - I daily drive an M3 that had 16k miles on it when I bought it. :v:

But I also live in a place where it never rains or snows, AND all of the roads are paved materials. It's just that the route he's got has exactly the opposite weather of that right now, and also zero twisty roads of interest or in fact much of interest (unless you're from there) within ~2 hours of the route for about 1800 of the 2000 miles. I drove an '85 Volvo 240 - one of the world's finest GT cars - from NYC to LA when my wife, cat and I moved out here, and took mostly that exact route (plus) - in late summer. There are no 'better' roads going that direction, all of the midwest's interesting roads run north/south with the rivers.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My blanket answer is basically just that it's not Mulholland Drive between Ohio and Salt Lake. If it was then it'd be a different story.

Yeah. And if it wasn't snow-lovely, Ferremit might be right - even if you couldn't burn a week vacation doing it, the M3 would crush those miles on I-80 as long as you were good at spotting cops, but that's one duulllll stretch and while that's about as good a car as you can tackle that leg of the route in, it would feel a lot like an impressively accomplished chore rather than much enjoyment. Passing struggling shitboxes as you blast up the Rockies would be fun... if you weren't battling 6" of snow while doing it.

Door to door 80 mph average between Phoenix and LA, including two stops for gas. I'd like to see a Prius do that - but still not a memorable drive aside from "I did it".

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 2, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
American politics in a nutshell.

"Hey, it's your obligation to explain to me, the guy making $11 an hour, why solidarity with other working class stiffs is a good idea and I will, without any source or factual evidence, refute your points despite asking you to explain it to me because I don't get that FYGM doesn't apply to $11/hr workers because, me, I'm one of the good ones, not a lazy <group of choice> and will be a millionaire any moment now unlike those bums"

<explains it>

"Yeah, well, the other guy never questions my fantasies and tells me all the things I want to hear, so I'ma vote for him even though he's repeatedly vowed to ruin all $11/hr workers permanently but that's okay because he's not talking about hardworkers like me and I will soon be rich and then all you condescending knowers of facts will GET YOURS"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm not saying it isn't hard.

The left has spent the past 8 years (more, really) trying their best to include every fringe group possible while shutting out that entire demographic of working class, primarily straight white voters.

It's a huge issue and ignoring it or blaming them for being ignorant doesn't help.

Explain how the working class straight white man has been shut out for the last 8-more years by the party that supports unions and minimum wages though?.

It's not a zero-sum game and helping gay and non-white people doesn't take any money out of the pocket of the straight white man regardless of what Fox News will tell the straight white man about how his hegemony has been eroded by leftist policies that aim to help All Poors, and not just Straight White Poors as It Should Be. This is the message of the left and it is not condescending.

However, it's pretty hard to say "You have literally zero idea what you are talking about and your ignorance on the issue and willful determination to never change your point of view is making your life less satisfactory" without sounding condescending, but sometimes after 40 years of the straight white man vote voting literally as determinedly as it possibly can against his own best interests due to being deliberately ill-informed and undereducated on the complexity of politics - as has happened in this country since the Reagan experiment showed the powers that be that populist dipshits win far more votes than legitimate warriors for the working man - the Knowers of Actual Facts get tired of handholding the other lesser-informed members of the voting privilege through every single vote and tend to start saying "Quit being so loving dumb".

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Conversely, the other presidential candidate who ultimately was elected, spent the last 8 years telling an unfounded lie that Barack Obama was a muslim who was not born in the US and wasn't qualified to be president, which is an act that is the sheer definition of "deplorable".

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yes it sure is greedy to ask corporations to pay taxes. Poor corporations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

cursedshitbox posted:

How about we all learn more math and science and get off this rock?

Explaining that the straight white working class man's childlike misunderstanding of the forces required to escape the atmosphere is 'dumb and wrong' is condescending

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

E9x Glory Attained

Congrats man! Looks like a good pick, that color is great, there's a coupe near me in that color and he's got the comp pack wheels painted black which looks fantastic imho. Too bad you won't be coming by LA in that green one, though :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Thanks! The goon meet in LA would have been sweet :cheers: but this one is the better car and I plan on keeping it...forever. I have never had a car this nice before so it is very exciting!

I've already got an E92 sized plot picked out at Hollywood Forever so that my car and I may rest in eternal peace together. Congrats again, can't wait to see what you think when you can actually take it out and call it your own.

PS: Do a burnout.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
All chocolate is a huge waste of calories that could be used on booze.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Back in the good old OLDE days (10 years before you guys consider the good old days happened) things really WERE good and people liked cars properly! And 30 years before that, the time my dad considered the good old olD OLD OLDE! days, you could get a slice of pizza and a coke for 10 cents and a brand new top of the line Pontiac GTO with all the fun bits was $3500 and men checked their oil with physical dipsticks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I read an article recently that described millennial being ready and willing to take over leadership as the boomers retire and how it is apparently irking Gen X'ers because they're mad that they were ok with the boomer status quo and that the millennial spirit want to come in and change everything to be more fair

I wish I could find it but it was a great article

That sounds like the kind of thing a Millenial wrote to make himself feel better instead of getting a job because lmao

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Check out https://screeps.com/ as well if you want to learn js.

My motivation in life is avoiding having to do javascript and having my minions do it instead.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

scuz posted:

If your minions make $70k/year, sign me up.

Range is $70-95k depending on experience really, the more javascript you know the higher you start. However there's a hitch - The higher you start the more likely you are to get your job outsourced if you're only a javascript jockey - that stuff is very easy to get from offshore resources since understanding of english is not required for it to still function. Learn other stuff and keep your education constant.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

This is a good thing and it helped on my resume as well as many development teams are trying to get more people who have experience with the operation side of the house in order to kind of fill out the development operations lifestyle that a lot of these buzzwords spewing managers are pushing

Get familiar with Chef puppet and Jenkins

Also find something you want to own and make it yours. "Taking ownership and acting" is the new key maneuver if you want to move into a stable situation in today's dev/tech world.

I saw a niche at my company and just started acting like the product/system was mine. If you don't put a signature on your emails, people think you're important and do the things you ask them to do. 13 years later, I'm the only one of my draft class still here and I've outlived about 20 different layoffs where more talented coders but overall less rounded players were shown the door.

Our offshore work comes from South America and wow are they a LOT more on the ball/aware of american business culture than the indian and other far east contractor solutions we've used.

Sinestro posted:

This might actually be the one good thing that could potentially come out of a Trump presidency and the xenophobia that comes with it. It just depends on how completely that's been given up in favor of corporate plutocracy.

Bad news! Xenophobia has no effect on the plutocracy and they're going to quadruple this practice if allowed (they will be).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Something like 1/4ths of spousal murders are committed by the husband/boyfriend, so they do have a pretty solid lead. Weird how the husband is suggesting Random Comic Book Guy is the real killer hm?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo forums drama is the stupidest thing I've ever read. What is it, 1996?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just bought another Blipshift shirt that I didn't need and decided to submit an idea for them. Here is to hoping that my idea doesn't suck and maybe they like it.

When's your new car getting there?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Enclosed transport should be picking up tomorrow and delivered to me probably Friday! I got the title, one key, and all the service paper work in the mail from my friend letting me stash the car at his house until I could arrange the shipping. It's seriously been the longest couple of weeks of my life!
It also snowed about 12 inches at my house just this weekend so it will likely stay garaged for a while. First things are register/inspection then alignment. Then wait until it gets warmer and turn the tires to smoke (for AI glory) and then get some Pilot Super Sports.

The first question you're going to have is "Why does the car lurch when accelerating somewhat briskly???" and I'm going to point you to the article on pilot induced oscillation. Acceleration in this car requires dedication and commitment, keep your foot in it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

the truth about cars posted:

a bunch of edgy 15 year old crybabby poo poo ostensibly castigating other people for caring too much

Site has always been trash, lmao that this loser quit his job in a fit of pique because the people who cared too much called his parents and this unspecial non-snowflake couldn't take the heat.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pro read, if only so you can sympathize with "Bark M" being condescended to by all the commenters explaining that he's got a toddler's understanding of the world and his demands to enforce that as truth by the comments he makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's weird, 85% of the people in the world who have the yugest most luxurious penis, sports pedigree, programming bona fides and hot-girl-gettingness among their grammar school contemporaries go on to college, meet other people who are as smart as them and then that gives them some sense of perspective about their own perception of their abilities.

A lot of that 85% then go on to meet counterparts with exactly the same quantity or more of success in the lower leagues but who went to an actually academically impressive college that isn't Baruth State - which gives that original successful kid from the tiny pond a little MORE perspective, and then a lucky tiny percentage of the "Average Person who Was Super Good At Pitching Baseballs When He Was 14" from that original demographic go on to meet the Truly Impressive People in the world, the ones who run fortune 500 companies successfully, write epic musical classics, create Singer automobiles - you know, do more impressive things than write mildly informed shitposts on the internet about cars.

• Locked thread