Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think a few of you know Kaptain Ballistik is my IRL brother. He just announced his engagement and I couldnt be more pleased. He found the female version of a Unicorn - she puts up with the motorsport AND went to the WRC with the team ... and enjoyed it!
Congratulations to KB. Don't let him write his own vows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Oh cool, 100 new posts in this thread. There must be something pretty darn interesting happening in the automotive world.

Oh.
Basically. I was 300 posts behind. Read one page, opened a bottle of jack, and now I can't feel my face.

Also, Bristol is a place with large areas in need of gentrification. By orbital strike, if possible.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Since this is the general thread this will be only completely off topic. 1/4" plate steel, overkill for engine mounts or pretty standard and good practices?
Yes.

It's overkill for doing things "properly", but once you accept you're not going to do things properly, it's "pretty standard".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

1/4" it is then, not like this thing is going to have an easy life. 1/4" plate and some left over roll cage tubing should work pretty well.
I believe that requires a "Git'R Dun", as you colonials say.

A lights--on-the-front-panel Series 2A is technically possible in the BL era, though gently caress knows why anyone would admit to it, it does kind of go against the whole "built 2 last" reputation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's most likely to make the engine "metric toolkit only". After all, 99% of the time, the thread is irrelevant to the task of workign on stuff, it's all about whether you've got a tool that fits it.

I think it is highly likely your threaded holes will be UNF or UNC.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I can only speak for white goods but brands and stores commission their own version of goods often with unique model numbers, good luck price matching an identical product when it's only sold in Store-X. Quality of components is certainly different depending on the price point being targeted, the brands I used to work for resurrected old designs and tooling for really cheap crappy stuff. They then pushed new cheap crappy materials through it, resulting in whole new swathes of crappy often lift-threatening issues.
Wasn't it Snapper, the lawnmower maker, who told Walmart they could shove their business methodology with regard to suppliers?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sounds like he's the kind of problem that gets itself solved one way or the other.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We're about one step away from the Ankh Morpork logic of "well, any water that's been through that number of kidneys has got to be pretty pure".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

Hate to say it but in that case he's likely going to skate.
I think we can be pretty sure he's going to get himself into further situations that result in people shooting him.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

Is it bad that I couldn't sleep last night due to visions of World War 3 beginning?
I hope we end up with one of those awesome post-apocalyptic worlds like in Mad Max or Fallout 4, not one of the crappy ones like The Road or Threads.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Lol, even Rhyno's cat's an rear end in a top hat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't care what all the lawyers say (you know the ones that say barely open your window, keep asking the cop if you're free to go, etc), I've always tried to be very polite to cops. The side of the road is not the place to cop an attitude with law enforcement (or anyone), and if you disagree with the ticket, the courtroom is where you should sort it out. I never consent to searches (never have, never will, I'm a pretty private person), but beyond that it's yes sir, no sir, I'm sorry sir, where do I sign sir? Thank you sir, be safe out there.\
That's the point, really. You can be perfectly civil and polite without giving an inch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It was a single degree C this morning when I cycled to work in the snow. By the time I'd gotten here there was a nice snowdrift on my crotch.
Meanwhile, in The North (tm):

funny Star Wars parody posted:

i continue to look forward to the eventual civil uprising against our brutish oppressors

gently caress off, America did that once already, you don't get to re-roll until the campaign's over or you're dead.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I should be an uncle by tonight! I shall strive to be a cool uncle.

Edit: I already have a moustache
I try to be that uncle (not actually uncle, though I am godfather.

It's great. All the good, fun poo poo and none of the responsibility.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

i was going to guess newcastle
It looks like Newcastle to me. That's Newgate Street, with The Gate in the background.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Drunk as gently caress, dumb as gently caress, looking to gently caress.
Young, dumb, and full of...

But seriously, you can't tell anything about them from that picture. That's kind of the standard "girls on night out" kind of deal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't tell me she likes... Hershey's? With that subtle hint of vomit the kids do love so!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Haha, I was of course referring to FSWP's wife's problematic chocolate preferences.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Something about British people, it's like their eyes light up when they read the word "Hershey's" and they immediately rush to post something about the only food in existence where a British version could possibly be considered superior.
Only because you don't even have haggis, Yorkshire pudding, or black pudding. And your idea of what faggots are is rather problematic.

Pretty sure we've been over this ground before, though. British food is perfectly good if you go somewhere worth going to eat it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

See! The wife doesn't believe me it has the after taste of vom.
No, it literally does. Butyric acid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The best chocolates I've ever had are actually from a little shop in Birmingham owned and run by a French guy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm there tomorrow, tell me where it is plz
Chouchoute in the north end of the Great Western Arcade, it's near the cathedral. The arcade also has a decent whisky shop and the tobacconists there does a good range of cigars.

Slung Blade posted:

They have British restaurants in Vegas now?
No joke, I want to go to Vegas to go to the Heart Attack Grill.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Guy who parks next to me in the underground garage keeps leaning on the car and making scratches and dents with what I assume is the zip on his coat. Leasing office don't care so I guess I either start putting nails in the tyres or I get it all fixed and have a clear wrap put on that one panel.
Have you left a note or spoken to him about it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

it was just excuses about kids not looking and "it is tight to park down here".
Right.

gently caress him.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

What wood should I buy to go between jackstands and my vehicle? The frame rails under the Datsun are kind of bent and don't sit well on top of the jackstands. Do I want 2x4? 4x4?
Whatever fits best?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Due to the doxxing would a mod be able to move this thread into the mod forum and we can have a interstitial thread where we don't post personal stuff?
What exactly is going on there? I haven't seen anything other than a somewhat vague sticky.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kiwifarms is actively doxxing transgender people from our forum after some drama happened centered around shmorky
Well... Ok. I don't know who shmorky is, but I've yet to encounter someone engaging in doxxing who wasn't a tremendous bellend.

So do they just hate transgender people or something?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 15, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

My parents are firmly convinced that if we did things like we did from 1948 - 1963 the world would be a better place. And they're quite salty about everything else.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, I traded the MG for a Volvo 164.
My mother had to trade her MG for a Morris Marina because she couldn't fit behind the wheel while pregnant. Wasn't impressed.

That was the brown midget right? I was browsing morris travellers earlier today then got depressed when I realised I can't afford one now and they're only going up. .
"Given that we seem to have made a habit of building cars where you can actively hear the metal corroding when it's wet, what should we do next?"
"Structural wood with no effective preservative applied?"
"Sounds good!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are there any brake/clutch bleeding tools worth buying for under $50? Yelling instructions to my wife and running around to keep the reservoir topped up is getting old.
If you have a compressor, the air-powered vacuum ones work reasonably well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SquirrelGrip posted:

just booked tickets to japan, going to spend two weeks at ebisu shredding tires and body panels. anyone been before?
Japan yes, Ebisu no.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

the spyder posted:

Random question of the day: What keeps you motivated?
Half the time it's some form of being annoyed or upset at myself for not doing better at X. I think that's kind of how it is for most people though.

I have no problem with any of this but you must promise not to let me try buy a saab off you.
There was a manual 9-5 Aero that went for £485 on eBay yesterday. I had to really sit on my hands to avoid bidding on that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, you wonder how some people stay in business. Seen these piggyback ECUs that I thought might be an interesting option for stuff.

Sent an email with a couple of enquiries on what they can do etc and the reply was "It is not a D I Y product. Our official dealers have the hardware and software to install it and map the chip accordingly, on a rolling road."

FFS, you could at least try and seem interested in selling me something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd have no problem with that, really, if they get the results. My irritation is getting such a useless generic answer to my enquiry from what is meant to be the UK distributor.

Have replied to their email asking how come their American equivalents will happily sell this stuff, and is there a manual I can get to answer my technical queries.

Hopefully that should get across the veiled threat of "there are people who seem happy enough for my business if you're not interested"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

lol you'll be replacing air springs instead
Or pumps.

Though in reality, you'd probably just use one of the coil spring conversion kits, and be right back where you started...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

Just as we see on a larger scale -- the nerd that wants to lead is often the wrong person for it. Nobody in their right mind would want to "moderate" this group. :laugh:
I've discussed this quite a lot with regard to "team leader" roles in factories. There's a habit of people making the best machinist/fitter/dildo mould operator the team leader as they effectively have "seniority", even though they may not be the best at dealing with, well, leading a team. My opinion is you need two people - the "team leader" who deals with job allocation and management-type things/people skills, and the "section senior" who has the highest technical skill at the job, and is the reference for others.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

A little more but not the most expensive pair of jeans I have bought :smugdog:
£5 Asda jeans erryday.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:iamafag:
But seriously if any subforum has a hope of surviving such a circumstance it would be this one.
I think this forum has the best chance of surviving any situation better than the others. TFR might take an early lead in the event of a true apocalypse, but once they've done shooting each other, whoever's left can gently caress off to run the bullet farm.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

I think we're supposed to make racist jokes now. It's hard to tell.
Right you are, Ted.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlesM posted:

What does this have to do with AI and IOC?
IOC was clearly one of the first against the wall when the revolution came, on account of reasonable and sensible.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Enterprise gave me a brand new (360 mile) Fiesta Ecobost as a car hire. I'd been wanting to have a drive of one of these. Steering seems good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Enterprise gave me a brand new (360 mile) Fiesta Ecobost as a car hire. I'd been wanting to have a drive of one of these. Steering seems good.
Ok, these are really great little cars. 220 miles of mixed driving, and it's very nice. The exact model is a Zetec S Black Edition, and I find myself very much agreeing with the EVO article I just Googled: http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/fiesta-zetec-s/16682/ford-fiesta-zetec-s-red-edition-review-the-insurance-friendly-st.

It fair braps along like nearly 140bhp (they've got that 1.0 turned up a bit!) in a straight tonne of hatchback should, and dynamically the only serious issue I had was the usual problem of modern cars, an electronic throttle that neutralises and then cuts under brake application. Steering is very taut and direct, not necessarily massively talkative, but perfectly decent.

It's got a little more reverb to the ride than I'd really like, but not to the point of being harsh, and unlike slapping 17" wheels on a boggo model, there at least feels there's a payoff. The other minor detail was that the highest settign for dipped beams still felt a fraction lower than I'd want for good forward viewing without switching to high beam.

At over £16k list, I'm not sure I'd not be able to just cough up the 15% more for an ST, but I think one of these could be interesting as a hottish hatch that'll kill it on BIK bullshit under a company car scheme. Worth seeing how much they deprerciate, too, as I suspect they will drop more than STs.

spog posted:

What colour is it?

(I hear that affects insurance)
:stalker:

Actually, that thread is why I've got it. We were going to use my mate's car for a journey, and then it got bummed to death by a Transit.

Darchangel posted:

Jesus.
I've never really understood the gay/trans hate. I seriously don't car who fucks whom. Just don't make a big deal out of it either way.
People never seem to appreciate how "I don't care" is a viewpoint that is pro equality. No, I don't care about your [X] status. I don't care about the opposite equivalent(s) either. It's really not a thing as far as I'm concerned.

I mean, I'm still going to joke/take the piss, but if you think you're being singled out by that, you've not been paying attention.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

I don't need to lawyer up.
Your posting history and the actual live lawyer above say otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm not aiming for it to hit 135whp on stock engines, I'm just aiming to hit that number as cheaply as possible.
How about a front cut from a Ford Focus? The 2.0 Zetec will make that number out the box and isn't overly heavy, about 250lbs or so I believe. Well supported with parts and durable.

CommieGIR posted:

The best part is that thread where he tries to excuse their doxxing as all in good fun.

gently caress that.
No, you see, because it's just like what Wikileaks does and

• Locked thread