Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm 30 but I got strep throat 2 weeks back. Swabs and everything.

gently caress 2016.

Last time I had strep I projective vomited on the nurse when she swabbed me. That'll teach you to stand to the side LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

cursedshitbox posted:

gotta work on those reflexes. tsk tsk.

Are you offering practice?

:laffo:

Serious talk: Strep can be passed to any mucus membrane with contact of the infection. I have a nurse friend who had a couple come in with it in both their throats and junk. It presented like Chlamydia. They got a second swab of the junk to confirm it wasn't both strep and Chlamydia.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I went to Sears right before Christmas and oh my god it was bad. They literally blocked off half of the store because they didn't have merchandise to fill it. What was there was badly organized and thrown haphazardly around. There may have been 2 people working and you could tell they'd much rather be anywhere else. They literally had no televisions in the electronics department. Pretty much the only thing you could buy was badly organized clothing, appliances, tools strewn everywhere, and outdoor stuff. Oh and mattresses. Lots and lots of mattresses.

Very few shoppers inside the store despite the mall being packed.

2016 should have taken Eddie Lampert :colbert:

edit: Even their website sucks. They had an awesome sale on those ratcheting vice grip thingies and I couldn't get it to process my order. I tried 5 different browsers. At this point, I think they're just pretending to be in business.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sears was like the coolest place in the mall when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s. Not only did they have a cool electronics department and a cool toy department, they had cool appliance displays - like see-through dishwasher, washer, dryer models and my personal summertime favorite - window air conditioners with streamers. You could also play on their ping-pong display.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Any building over 6000 Sq ft is required to have sprinklers per the local fire code. Houses included.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I can't figure out why Lampert keeps pumping money into it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

slurry_curry posted:

Thanks for all the input on the MB dealership bullshit. Thankfully the used car manager called me last night and actually seemed interested in working with me to sell the car. The car is at the body shop they use(separate business, not an internal department) and they are going to let me know what the fix is today. Fingers crossed I was just dealing with a lovely dealer who either thought I was wasting his time or that selling a used car was below him.

I personally wouldn't continue dealing with these jokers (unless the car were a real unicorn). Keep your guard up a mile high and get everything in writing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Geoj posted:

At this point I'm not certain how this company (Erie Insurance) is still in business.

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress, beaten

:colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

cursedshitbox posted:

hey you could have gone to UTI and promised a 75k/yr job, only to graduate making $10 an hour with the same student debt lolllllllll.

Urinary Tract Infection for $75k a year? Sign me up!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Previa_fun posted:

But you see we can't raise wages because burger flippers and my dollar menu... :words:

Bariatric flippers deserve an extra quarter sonny

:bahgawd:

edit: bariatric flippers :rimshot:

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 6, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CommieGIR posted:

If EMTs and Nurses want to get paid, they might want to ensure that people making minimum wage can afford medical care.

And how exactly do you propose that EMTs and Nurses do this?

BTW - that was just about the most CommieGIR post CommieGIR has ever made.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 6, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

Potentially double posting because phone.

I think this is a holdover from Boomers and Greatest Generation thinking. Our parents and their parents could reasonably expect to get a college degree, get in with a company, and work a solid career there while getting solid benefits and actual retirement investments. Even though the company probably would gently caress them over given the chance, there was still a perception of loyalty having benefits.

Now, that perception is a myth at best.

You said one of my trigger words.

I'm an X-er and in a position to begin shaping our company's future. I had a great candidate for a lower mid-level position with great short and long-term potential that blew all the others out of the water. My boss, a boomer, specifically told me not to hire said candidate because candidate had not finished college. Never mind that we have a great college incentive program if he should decide to finish his degree on our dime (or not, if he doesn't).

He was by far the best candidate, and would have been a huge asset.

Direct quote from my boomer boss - 'I had to do my time, and so did you. It's not fair to either one of us to put an uneducated person in that position.'

I have to check myself when I have these sorts of conversations because I've already been told by said boss that while 'millennial' chat is kosher 'boomer' chat is ageist and might be perceived as a threat by other employees.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 7, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CharlesM posted:

God Bless America

Land that I love

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

funny Star Wars parody posted:

eh idk, i'm not sure if that tax benefit is better than freeing up $1500/month to put into a mutual fund that will on average give me a 12% return. I should probably go see an accountant or financial adviser of some sort

I am confirming and affirming this advice. Even if it's just one session.

edit: Be careful with Dave Ramsey recommendations. Not poo-pooing them all, but I had a really bad experience with the mortgage company he recommends and after discussing with a few others they had a similar bad experience.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 11, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I just ate a giant jersey mike's big kahuna with extra jalapeño and holy moley was it good

Incoming Dutch oven...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My parents are firmly convinced that if we did things like we did from 1948 - 1963 the world would be a better place. And they're quite salty about everything else.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

nm posted:

So they miss overt racism?

So here's part of my categorical hatred of boomers. They'll take whichever side of an issue gives them a platform to stand on, provides them a benefit, and/or strokes their ego. My parents were very much engaged in the activism movements in the late 60s - early 70s. Namely because that was *the* bandwagon to jump on. They're very much on the Trump bandwagon now. It has nothing to do with the issues or the people themselves and everything to do with being on the grandstand.

That's hosed up. And it's not just my parents I see doing this.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

scrubs season six posted:

7 year loans have been a thing forever. At least since when I worked in car sales (mid to late 90s).

At one point in the early/mid-80s, Volvo offered 10 year loans on their cars. The logic was that their cars were so safe and reliable that everyone should be able to afford one. I'll have to dig through my archive to find the ad - it blew my mind then, and it blows my mind today.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In other news, I was at discount tire today and an old man asked if they gave rim jobs.

:wtf:

Edit: he needs a rim job to correct his imbalance.

Edit edit: maybe he needs an alignment as well?

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 16, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Just got my year-end statement from National. Their most rented car in 2016:

Nissan Altima

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Anything that costs more than the generic version

So I can go to kohls and get clothes or I can go to true religion or Levi and get fancy pants

Mr Fancy Pants

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ExplodingSims posted:

That's is a very goid system, but I see one very critical flaw in your plan:

You have to order, and presumibly eat, a pizza from Papa Johns :barf:

I dunno, after I saw how Pizza Hut makes their pizzas, I prefer PJ's to PH.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

slidebite posted:

PJ Pizza is hardly gourmet, but in the world of fast food pizza it's far from the worst.

Papa Murphy's on the otherhand is pretty rockin.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

cursedshitbox posted:

Their crust is too sweet.

when I worked there a long time ago i'd make stuffed thin crust. hnngggggg

Did they still do the 8oz ladle of grease in the bottom of pan pizzas? When I saw that I never wanted PH again.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

cursedshitbox posted:

They did yea. but this was 2008-2009.

8oz was a conservative pour, and 1 pour was typical. I saw some pies get 2 or 3 pours :barf:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Waiting for the obligatory CRVEX

Also a Probe rammed into a Volvo

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Have you tried gay garbage?

It's equally bad. Trust me I've played both sides of the fence.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I heard recently that counting backwards from 300 by 3s will supposedly help you go to sleep.

It's like un-counting sheep.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

TTAC has become increasingly unpalatable for me. It feels like their staff have caught the Doug DeMuro self-importance bug.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Even though I am in no shape a Ted Cruz fan, I am enjoying the Deadspin meltdown going on.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It's 11:30 at night and I'm just here watching shows on my iPad waiting for a couple of dudes in a semi truck to come drop off a car that was in Sacramento this morning.

It's like waiting for Christmas.

Much fewer Ho involved in this Christmas transaction

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BraveUlysses posted:

Joke of the day:

what has 7 arms and sucks?

A disabled octopus with an oral fixation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

What do you have against librarians :laffo:

Edit: I had a convo with someone who confused the two. It was an eye opener :stonk:

• Locked thread