Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I used to work as a field tech in the photofinishing industry and one of our biggest clients was Walgreens.

Used to be that I had some kind of upper respiratory infection on and off from November through March or April because I'd inevitably pick something up from all of the sick people going in an out of the stores. No amount of vitamin C or hand washing ever seemed to help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

A Leipzig-style gose, apparently.

If you want to give sours a chance goses aren't exactly what I'd start with, as by definition the style is both sour & salty and are definitely an acquired taste. Maybe look for a berliner weisse, they're just sour.

e: my wife is a bit of a sour fanatic and is suggesting Bell's Oarsman Ale (technically a pale ale but is slightly sour) as a beginner to the style.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 2, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Goober Peas posted:

I can't figure out why Lampert keeps pumping money into it.

He doesn't want to be the real-world example of Objectiveism being an abject failure.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
So looks like my long insurance nightmare is finally coming to a close.

For those of you just joining the party, I was rear-ended in my wife's car at the beginning of last month and the at-fault party's insurance has fought me every step of the way. Most recently, when they came out to appraise the car they assumed that since the LCD display panel for the stereo and HVAC had been removed (I was having a friend of a friend fix defective solder on the display itself) that the car didn't have a stereo equipped at all.

I brought this up with the appraiser on the 23rd and he assured me it would be fixed. Got the final paperwork late last week, vehicle valuation was still based on the car not having a stereo when it actually had the Bose premium package. After a bunch of back and forth I was finally able to get them to quote the car with all of its options and wouldn't you know - a car with premium audio is worth ~$500 more than a car with no stereo at all. At one point they were trying to claim the car was only worth $3500 because that's what the only example they could find locally on Autotrader was selling for, but refused to tell me what year, options or mileage that example had.

At this point I'm not certain how this company (Erie Insurance) is still in business.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

cursedshitbox posted:

and this is why I pay through the nose for insurance. hard, hard, hard lessons like this learned over the years. Your insurance company should be doing the fighting, not you. If *you're* doing their job, why did you hire them to begin with?

I could have filed the claim through my insurer but then it'd be questionable if I'd ever get my deductible back.

I'd rather not tie up $500 for months, assuming I ever saw it again.

e: I don't draw much of a distinction between "my" insurer and "their" insurer. They're both two sides of the same coin, and my insurance company won't hesitate to gently caress me over if it helps their bottom line either.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 5, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

Why do you guys talk about beer and cooking over and over? I wasn't aware I had to explain myself.

I'm ADHD and have a really short memory.

Hey, we haven't had a "this is the general chat thread for discussing anything and everything, as long as it falls into these narrow categories..." derail in a while.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

iwentdoodie posted:

Then explain it to them in a way that makes sense, instead of alienating all the people you want to agree with you by being a condescending poo poo lord about everything.

I'd like to hear your explanation to a lowest common denominator voter who doesn't actually care that you can't live on minimum (or even within several dollars per hour of) wage, but who think that they're just temporarily inconvenienced and someday will be the rich prick turning the screws on everyone else and want to be able to take advantage of poverty-level wages once they've boot-strapped themselves to the top.

Bear in mind that such people tend to view any opinion contrary to their own and any attempt to explain to them why they're wrong as condescending/uppity/elitist/etc.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

Seriously, the tone does not help.

My point is there is no way to explain anything to these people if it doesn't come from Fox News or a similar right-leaning media source. Be as nice as you want, if you don't march in lockstep with their views you're just an rear end in a top hat trying to force your views on everyone else.

Again - how would you explain to someone like this why poverty wages drag everyone down without coming off as "condescending"?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair the issue precisely is that the left usually does act condescending/uppity/elitist/etc towards those people which is why the right has to do virtually nothing to pander to them.

Still waiting - present your non-condescending case to the guy who works for $8/hour at the local sawmill and thinks that's a perfectly acceptable wage because he also believes that through nothing but hard work he will someday be in charge and in a position to benefit from our horribly lopsided in favor of the employer labor laws.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just go to your local bar and look at all the hard working men and women who dont have two bucks for another beer. Then go on Instagram and there's all these sons and daughters of your bosses who do nothing and yet splash dat cash.

But my bosses work hard for their paychecks just like me, and who are you to tell us what we can and cannot spend our money on?

angryrobots posted:

"Raising the minimum wage is for sawmill workers."

My boss said if he had to pay anyone a penny more than they make now the mill would have to shut down. Why do you want me to lose my job?

iwentdoodie posted:

It's a huge issue and ignoring it or blaming them for being ignorant doesn't help.

kastein posted:

... aaaaaand you just lost past-me as a listener/someone who will take you seriously.

So you're both just ideas guys? You've identified the problem - that telling white working class voters they might be incorrect in their views or that there's another way of doing things makes you come off as condescending - and now its someone else's job to figure out a way to convince them that their opinions are wrong without in any way implying that they might be wrong?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 7, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ether Frenzy posted:

Conversely, the other presidential candidate who ultimately was elected, spent the last 8 years telling an unfounded lie that Barack Obama was a muslim who was not born in the US and wasn't qualified to be president, which is an act that is the sheer definition of "deplorable".

Stop being condescending :colbert:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

I don't blame the employer, because I'd be doing the same thing in their shoes.

See? I wasn't making it up - real world example of "I don't mind being hosed right now because some day I'll be the one doing the loving."

cursedshitbox posted:

How about we all learn more math and science and get off this rock?

I bet you didn't even think about the feelings of people who don't believe in math or science before making this post. Typical condescending liberal.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 7, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

Someone can understand why people do things without believing they'll be in that position, you know. In other situations it's called empathy. *If* I was in their shoes I'd do the same thing. I don't for a minute believe I will ever be in that position.

Holy :lol: your only defense against being a total piece of poo poo is "I'll probably never have the opportunity to do it"?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 7, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

Geoj, you completely loving missed my point and then doubled down.

Sorry - what was your point beyond "you're doing it wrong"?

I mean, if you know how to communicate with incredibly touchy white working class voters I'm all ears, but all I've heard from you is "see - you're not doing it right and that comes off as condescending."

Do you know what's really condescending? People who only say "no, you're wrong" without offering any alternative or explanation of what the "wrong" person could do differently.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 9, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: different oil at Walmart, there is a possibility this is true. It's been well documented that as a result of Walmart dictating prices to suppliers (with a "do it or we'll find someone who will" threat attached) many of their suppliers have Walmart specific products that are either made to a lower spec reflecting the price, or in the case of big ticket items like TVs they'll deliberately ship sub-par products, like units with B-grade LCD panels installed.

There isn't any database of known products like this (that I'm aware of) but it's certainly possible that the formulation of a given motor oil sold at Walmart is different - and if so, likely in a "for the worse" manner - from what you'd buy from a dealership, parts store or really any other retailer that isn't big enough to tell its suppliers what it will pay for a given product.

Not saying if the above is true that the oil is going to grenade your engine, but it's certainly possible that the oil they sell is different.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

The walmart items will have some clue like a different model number. They will have a different upc. If the upc is the same, it is probably the same.

You would think this would be the case, but a friend of mine stumbled across the Walmart specific products thing completely by accident several years ago. He bought two bags of the same socks - one at Walmart, the other at a department store like Dillard's or Macy's and everything was identical between the two - UPC/SKU, product number on the bag, packaging was identical but the socks from Walmart were obviously more cheaply made than the ones from the department store.

Granted this is anecdotal evidence, and things may have changed in the time that has passed but I would assume Walmart wouldn't want any obvious indication that the products they sell are any different from what gets sold at competitors.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Wasn't it Snapper, the lawnmower maker, who told Walmart they could shove their business methodology with regard to suppliers?

This typically doesn't go well for the supplier - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/etc/script.html

TL;DR Rubbermaid announced to its retail customers in the late 90s that since their raw material cost had increased so would the prices of their products. Walmart responded by saying they would either have to sell at a loss or not sell at all, resulting in Rubbermaid shuttering a large factory in Ohio, laying off roughly 1,000 workers and moving production to China.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So now I guess the cops are gonna throw the book at him as well?

Law enforcement in the US takes care of their own. Not likely.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

his dad is a decorated officer in good standing

Hate to say it but in that case he's likely going to skate. Dad makes a call or calls in a favor with a supervisor who then calls the prosecutor and gets the charges dropped down to disturbing the peace or similar (if not completely dropped under the auspices of "I'll set him straight myself"), and he'll get a slap on the wrist in the form of community service and a small fine.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mariooncrack posted:

This may be true but if I were to guess he'll probably gently caress up again and he may not get so luck.

Problem is what happens the next time he fucks up? If he just hurts himself he's just getting what's coming to him, but someone who has likely never been told "no" and has never faced serious consequences for his actions is likely to land in serious hot water - theft, aggravated assault, rape, murder, etc - before the law of averages catches up with him.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 12, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: cops & traffic stops; after two incredibly bad experiences with traffic stops* during which I was nothing but polite I don't give them any more than I'm required to by law. Window down, license and proof of insurance, sign the ticket, ask if I'm free to go. That's it. No small talk and no talking about what they saw or allege I did.

I'm a big proponent of the idea that if you want respect you have to show it first, and pretty much every interaction I've had with law enforcement they've shown me nothing but contempt and/or acted like I was a second-class citizen compared with them.

* - 1) two cops pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me requiring a crash stop to avoid t-boning them, pulled me over, reamed me out for the better part of a half hour and threatened to shoot me on sight if they ever encountered me again. Which has done wonders for my anxiety when I see blue & red lights in my rear mirros. Oh - and their department stonewalled my complaint until the dashcam footage was rolled over, then closed the investigation due to "lack of evidence."
2) routine stop after some old-timer changed lanes right in front of me doing at least 15 under the limit, officer said I was "following too closely" which I countered with "he cut me off." Cop got super pissed and threatened to arrest me on fabricated charges because I told him what I was going to do before I did it - ie, "My wallet is in a side pocket of my pants, I am going to reach for it with my right hand - is that OK?"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Stolen might not be the right word but wasted is.

Who the gently caress thinks that diverting rivers so people can grow loving grass in the middle of the desert is a good idea? It's probably just a matter of time until the southwestern states start talking about how we should drain the great lakes so people there can have cheap water again.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
We just found out today that my wife's 15 year old nephew unironically believes the earth is flat. Also wants to be homeschooled because "the teachers are all part of the conspiracy to keep the public in the dark that John Glenn never flew in space because allegedly he wouldn't swear on a bible that it actually happened and the moon landings were fake."

It was kind of interesting hearing my wife's sister and her husband try to argue against him when they're both unironic Trump supporters and spent the past year parroting every batshit insane conspiracy theory coming out of the alt-right. I find it amusing because the kid is essentially the product of his own upbringing and his parents don't seem to realize it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Door Frame posted:

I need to be ready to get a real job with real benefits by the time that the ACA gets completely gutted, otherwise it will be too expensive to get the meds that allow me to work, or even see my psych, and that will be the end of things for a while

This is really the only thing I'm truly worried about with Trump. Prior to the passage of the ACA my wife couldn't get insurance unless she was able to be "cured" of hypothyroidism. Which you cannot be cured of - it's a lifelong condition, but is easily managed by a $10/90 day supply generic prescription and a $250 annual blood test.

If the pre-existing conditions clause is struck down she might get booted off of my employer-provided insurance and will be right back to "we will not write you a policy - even with an exemption for your condition - for any sum of money."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

At least from a hardware standpoint, Macs are built like a brick house.

To the point of replacing your hard drive means running the risk of breaking your monitor, as you earlier demonstrated ITT:

Darchangel posted:

Yesterday, I hosed up.

I managed to drop the screen on an iMac I was replacing the hard drive in.
For those that don't know, to replace a hard drive in any of Apple's iMacs since 2012, you have to use a tool to separate double-sided tape, and remove the display.

Honestly my biggest gripe with Apple is their insistence on only allowing their OS to run on their hardware. If I could (legally) load MacOS on a system I built most of my complaints with Apple would go away. But instead I'd have to buy an overpriced computer that (as demonstrated above) is a major pain in the rear end to replace or upgrade components, and aside from the aesthetically pleasing case is little different from PC offerings, since Apple switched to an x86 platform.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm now the proud owner of a 2006 Ford Fusion with 160k on the clock and which started life as a rental car. $800 with tax & (clear) title :getin:

And with rod knock, but that's OK because I'm swapping the 2.3 out of my wife's previous previous car (an '03 6) which ironically started life as a Fusion engine - from the head down its pretty much identical, only major difference is the VCT ring on the exhaust cam. Only thing I'm really worried about is the transmission, but they're plentiful in salvage yards with relatively low miles if it shits itself.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

funny Star Wars parody posted:

No reason to lawyer up if they're grasping at straws

During a murder case? I'd be absolutely terrified to speak to the police without an attorney present.

Its not like we're talking about a traffic ticket that is off your record within 5 years here.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

funny Star Wars parody posted:

What I'm saying is don't lawyer up until they take you downtown

Otherwise you look guilty to idiots and big mouths

Not lawyering up could be the reason they take you downtown - after you inadvertently say something that incriminates you.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Enourmo posted:

Withdraws us from the UN and forbids any contribution to UN military/peacekeeping missions, anywhere, for any reason.

That's bad enough, but remember we have a permanent seat on the security council, with veto power. If we leave, we lose that seat, and the veto; even if we came back later and got voted back onto the council as a regular member, we wouldn't have veto, which means we'd effectively have a massive power deficit to the remaining permanent members.

Two of whom are Russia and China.

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, pulling out of the World Health Organization, because fighting disease tramples on American sovereignty or something.

Hey guys - stop being so condescending.

Bitter white working class voters' concerns about black helicopter sightings and the WHO are just as legitimate as anyone else's :rolleyes:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

What a weird tradition, but obviously nothing to call out the Trumpster for I guess.

I think its the wording of it.

"National Day of Patriotic Devotion" sounds like it would be a national holiday in the DPRK, during which citizens found to not be devoting themselves to patriotism enthusiastically enough would be rounded up and sent off to work camps or shot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Ah, found the cache.

I'll spoiler the whole thing so people don't need to read it if they don't want to.

Just filled out my "LIEBERAL MEDIA" bingo card :stonklol:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Got the Dewalt DCF899 lithium ion impact wrench I ordered yesterday (if you don't live in a city with an Amazon "store" its pretty great - free next day shipping on 50-75% of prime eligible items, you just pick it up instead of having it delivered), only zipped two lug nuts off and back on so far but I'm already itching to do some work to my car.

I have a lower front suspension kit waiting to go in and its really hard to not go get started on it right now - probably would have already if we weren't currently down to one functional car.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Enourmo posted:

He banned all national entry to people from terrorist Middle Eastern nations (except the ones where he has golf courses lol), including legal immigrants with green cards and people with dual citizenship.

Heil der Cheeto-Führer.

I'm the deafening silence from the pro-life conservatives who voted him into office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
HID bulbs slowly shift color temperature over their lifespan, then right before failure it ramps up considerably and you'll have one bulb change to some off the wall color (like pink/purple.)

As long as both bulbs appear to be the same color you're fine.

As far as generics go...I bought a pair of generic D2S bulbs about 10 years ago (when brand name bulbs were in the hundreds of dollars range) and they're still working fine today. YMMV but if they fail you're only out $15.

• Locked thread