Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Crustashio posted:

Not in canada :v:

I heard K-Mart was doing well in Canada. Is this true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Got a new (to me) car today. First car I've ever owned with a key fob :3:

Oooh what did you get? Congrats regardless.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Holy poo poo for truth. I've had to explain to multiple guys root cause analysis and how to do it. Do they not teach this in Comp Sci? (I didn't go to school for Comp Sci, I went for Math and Physics)

I shouldn't have to show college grads how to debug. I'm the newb, not them.

I graduated in 2012 with my CS degree. I can't speak for all programs but I can safely say that they never really taught me how to test software. Not a word about security either.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Locator posted:

I work in QA, and about half the time I can figure out pretty much what is causing an issue and include that analysis in the defect before handing it to Dev. A good portion of the time they argue with me for quite a while about how whatever I tell them isn't possible, yet somehow, about 95% of the time, I end up being right. Doesn't matter, next time the cycle of arguing and trying to blame something else other than the code will start over again. It's a never ending cycle of having to prove to Dev that they are wrong, and it's not my data or my test case causing the issue, it really is a problem where they didn't meet the requirements.

Luckily I don't take it personally, and get some sort of twisted enjoyment out of the whole thing most of the time, and on those rare occasions where hey, it really was something stupid I did when testing, I have no problem manning up and taking that responsibility. Strangely none of the Devs seem to hate me, and some of them even go to lunch with me and the BA's on most days.

Edit: My favorite Dev response - "It works fine on my local!" :rolleyes:

Not sure if that's embedding correctly. Sorry if it isn't.

CommieGIR posted:

Until I can pull it fresh from Trunk and build and deploy on my machine, I won't send it to QA. I may be new to this, but I'm not putting broken poo poo into circulation if I can avoid it.

Good on you, please don't break the build. My company has guidelines for checking in code that include not checking anything in and then leaving for the day or vacation. You should be around for at least an hour just in case you accidentally break the build.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Biodome posted:

In non political chat, I may be moving back to Seattle for work. My girlfriend and I each have a car and have decided we won't need both if we settle down in Seattle so we're selling mine and keeping hers since she has a one that can carry more poo poo. I've never sold a car before so I don't know how it works. Do I toss it on Craigslist? Call one of those WE BUY CARS numbers on the side of the road? I'm thinking I just search for the average selling price of my car and toss it up and just take what I think is fair?

Can I sell it to a dealership and have them cut me a check? I assume this will be the least hassle but give me the lowest value.

What kind of car are you trying to sell? Selling a <5 year old car would probably make more sense to say CarMax than a 10+ year old Honda. For craigslist, place it a bit higher than what you're trying to sell it for. People will lowball you ridiculously.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Found out yesterday that baby #3 is going to be a boy. That makes for girl, boy, boy. Really had no preference either way. My inkling thought it would be a girl which was wrong obviously. Pretty stoked and looking forward to my wife not being sick anymore.

Congrats!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

quote:

Studebaker said at some point a white female passenger threw a drink at his vehicle. He said he then removed an airsoft gun out of the center console and laid it next to him.

He told police he never pointed the airsoft gun at anyone, nor did he display it.

What was he trying to accomplish by doing this?

I'm not sure I want to know the answer honestly.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geoj posted:

Hate to say it but in that case he's likely going to skate. Dad makes a call or calls in a favor with a supervisor who then calls the prosecutor and gets the charges dropped down to disturbing the peace or similar (if not completely dropped under the auspices of "I'll set him straight myself"), and he'll get a slap on the wrist in the form of community service and a small fine.

This may be true but if I were to guess he'll probably gently caress up again and he may not get so luck.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Wrar posted:

My wife got me a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990s for my Birthday and I have to say, the sound stage on these things is loving awesome. I'm using them at work because I need to be able to hear the techs on the floor around me.

I have a pair of DT-770s at home and I used https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ to make them a bit more neutral.

Is anyone else a bit of a mid-range headphone slut?

I keep thinking about picking up a pair of the 770s. What amp are you using for your 990s?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Wrar posted:

I'm really happy with both, especially after a gentle EQ. I'm not using an amp with the 990s, just plugging it into the 2014 MacBook Pro I use for work. It seems to be fine for my usage.

Oh, I suppose I should've asked which model you got. I have the 250 ohm ones and they really need an amp.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are HP laptops good now? I remember about a decade ago that everyone who had a HP laptop had them overheat in about a year.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Lawyer up?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Local pizza can be better but as far as chains go, Papa Johns ain't that bad. They have a lot of 40-50% off coupons which helps.

Do Pizza Huts still have the lunch buffet? I remember being really excited as a kid during the summer because I would get to go there for lunch sometimes.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

I don't know why but I've been playing a lot more video games as of late. I haven't done this in years.

In a lot of ways, my violin playing is getting a lot better too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

ugh dude I just picked up the guitar recently and it's really made me wish I went orchestra in highschool instead of band. Srtinged instruments are so calming and soothing! Do you have any recordings?

Unfortunately I do not. I don't really play gigs or anything, just play for myself for fun.

Since others posted pictures of their guitars, I'll share some of my Violin:

The top is Italian Spruce and the back is Romanian Maple. Pictures don't do enough justice for the top, it has much more of what they call "bearclaw."

I have a viola from the same maker but I don't have any pictures on hand.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I am an animal lover, I love my cats and would be crushed if one died.

But somebody just equated the death of their cat with the murder of my friend and I'm pretty sure I'm going to burn their loving house down.

http://emilymcdowell.com/collections/empathy-cards/products/hamster-empathy-card

Wish I could send this to you now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

That's what I figured. I'm really hesitant, I'd like the extra money but after building quite a few cars, I know what it takes as far as investment in time and effort.

What kind of cars would you be fixing to flip? Mostly I hear of people doing this with beaters and it's a question of how many times can you be asked "what's the lowest price you'll go?"

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_U-w0NpIYM

Did someone say we should listen to more concertos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWPGC6o7X-M

I listen to plenty of Bach too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...omepage%2Fstory

This is a pretty good summary of what's going on right now for anyone interested.

They even detained one man who was a former interpreter for the U.S. military in Iraq. They've since let him go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Sauces mailed, I got tracking if you want but it's more fun without it right?

I'm pretty stoked for this.

Regarding adiabatic, maybe he's got an open relationship?

• Locked thread