Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Help, I'm looking at rx-8s on craigslist again. I don't care if they are the bastard child of the rotary family, it just makes me want it more. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Raluek posted:

There's nothing wrong with an RX8 that you can't solve with a change in religion

There is a $700 shell up thats just begging for a ~350 hp 5.3 to be slipped in. Anyone wanna buy a mazda 6 wagon? Ran when parked, plenty of tread left on tires, just needs starter! :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Just got off work, letting a doggo terrified of fireworks hide under the covers with me. :kimchi:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Oh god, that scotch is like getting a rusty trombone from an angel. So loving good.

Edit: Happy new year you neckbeardy fucks

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Some crashed into a house on the next street over and drove off. Looks like the remains of a shed that was attached to the side of the house is scattered all over their yard. Happy new year to them! :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I did not know that Felix Wankel was a literal nazi.

Edit: Like, He was an ardent one. Member of the NDSAP in the 20s, had a few meetings with Hitler in the late 20's, was released from prison by hitler in the 30s and joined the SS for 2 years in the 40s. :godwin:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 2, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah they fixed it supposedly but I have till 150k to get a new motor if it starts burning and fails the test. Haven't seen any reports of '12 models burning so far. Also have never heard of any head bolt issues, that's strange.

The guy I bought it from was a maintenance fanatic (I ONLY USE AMZOIL EVERYTHING ELSE IS DOGGSHIT) and said it doesn't burn but who knows, I guess I'll find out here soon :v:

Was he as fanatical about the rest of it, or just one of those oil and air filter only people?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

He showed me his garage. And his other brand new xB. And his cabinets FILLED with Amzoil products, he was a shill (ITS 30% BETTER THAN MOBIL ONE) and had all kinds of cool stories about living on a catamaran for five years, working with the Hell's Angels and wrestling polar bears.

He lived on a ridiculous amount of land in the middle of BFE Florida that had the most hills I have ever seen in FL in my life, and a giant bass pond right behind his house which he built by himself with his teeth.

Well those last parts aren't true but I would have believed him if he told me.

Meh, amsoil. Give me castrol or give me death. (Rotella is good too I suppose.)

What the hell are these hills you speak of and where? I must see them for myself. And drive any roads I can find in there.

Previa_fun posted:

I went into Radioshack looking for an adapter to connect my Playstation 2 DDR mats to PC via USB because I am a huge nerd and got the shittiest tone from the sales dude.

:neckbeard:: Do you guys carry a playstation 2 to USB adapter?
:goonsay:: Well first it's PS/2 not Playstation 2, there's a difference... :words:

To be fair to them it's not a common adapter and I'd probably react the same way if some kid came in asking for some weird rear end cable. I think I ordered one online eventually so my goony 16 year old self could play DDR without leaving the house.

I had the opposite problem in my local office depot. Went in, asked where their usb cables and adapters were. Kid asked what I was hooking up, I told him a usb keyboard I needed to connect to a ps2 port. (Was diagnosing an issue with a computer that didn't want to play nice with my usb keyboard during startup).

:downs: "Sorry, we don't have any adapters for playstation stuff, you need to go to gamestop for that."
:argh: "No, its a connector type for keyboards and mice that predated usb connections."
:downs: "Never heard of it before man, sorry. We aren't going to have anything like that."
:argh: "Just loving tell me where your usb stuff is already."

They had adaptors, just not the way I needed. On the way out, the manager had heard me getting pissed off with the kid and asked if I need help finding anything. Nah man, just loving train your people on basic connectors.

About a year ago, I confused 4 salesmen at the same store by asking for a 6' usb to micro usb cable. I made the mistake of saying I was using it to charge a phone. Cue 10 minutes of them trying to show me phone chargers and telling me that no phone uses a micro usb connection. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

slurry_curry posted:

I guess. Just talked to them again and apparently the damage that happened to the front and rear bumper(screwed up clear bra on the front and scuffed up/dented rear bumper) happened since they have had it and won't change the price at all. They will fix the damaged clear bra, but I would have to pay for it, or else they would just remove the damaged parts but not everything. Apparently they also use body filler on bumpers to fix the waviness from impact and "all dealerships do this". Am I the crazy one for thinking that you NEVER use body filer on bumpers since with a slight tap it will fall off?

I guess I got lucky when I bought my TDI(heh) since that process was completely painless.

Yea, I figured they are trying to pressure me into financing through them since they will get a cut of it.

I get the credit card fee side of things, and if they wold address it from that side I would be fine instead of just saying nope. If they would offer me a discount for not using a credit card that would be fine and I would jump on it. I only want to use my CC for the miles.

loving :sever:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend tried to get me to take the stupid Harry Potter house sorting test online and I refused because HP is loving stupid but she kept insisting and I said I was a man of science not magic so when she was in the shower I printed a bunch of PROPERTY OF STARK INDUSTRIES signs and stuck them on all her Harry Potter stuff and I don't think she's at all amused and also these painkillers are loving great.

So a ravenclaw, gotcha. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
New sockets arrived! 5 minutes after I shut the hood and did my first startup. Now I just have to figure out how to let the trans relearn procedure proceed faster. Its shifting so hard, Its chirping the tires going into second.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
My buddy bought a lancer/evo spoiler for his car. While normally I deride him for his ricey tendencies, this one I'm forgiving. Why? Because I get to loving drill holes in his car. :neckbeard:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I just helped a dude find all the fittings to plumb the brakes on his '59 Edsel Ranger with a mystery master cylinder, '77 Ranchero front disks, a brake proportioning valve out of a '79 F-150 and rear wheel cylinders out of a mystery year CJ5. It only took an hour and a half. Scratch that off the do it once and never wanna do it again list!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Three-Phase posted:

Worst I ever had to do was a battery change on a Honda Fit in about 15 deg. F.

Of course that battery is probably smaller than the ones used in Power Wheels toys. I'm not kidding here. The battery is so small.

During the second hurricane to hit florida this year, we had a dude come in requesting a battery change. Guy didn't seem to get why I didn't want to go out and change it while it was loving raining sideways.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Have you mentioned to his parents that their child is a well known poo poo head who constantly challenges people to races? And that quite possibly his retarded antics towards other drivers is why he was shot?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Rhyno posted:

When he was under threat of a massive rear end kicking I did tell her about his antics in the non-public FB groups. All his posts vanished the next day and he was out of both groups. Seeing as this is the day her son got shot in the leg I have opted to not be a jerk and tell her that her kid probably brought this on himself.

Well of course, today would be a pretty bad day to mention such a thing. However you telling them about the facebook stuff was a good idea. Hopefully between him getting shot for being a terrible shithead and his parents coming down on him for driving like a shithead (because you told them when appropriate!), he'll learn its a bad idea!

Also, got my first call to corporate today. :toot:

Customer was pissy I wouldn't take his return on this bondo stuff he totally bought from us but doesn't have a receipt for, because he totally does all his buisiness with us! Except any time I tell him a price is more than $30, he balks and goes to ebay for it. But its ok this one time because he's totally in a bind and needs the cash!

After the call to corporate where they kissed his rear end telling him what a wonderful person he was and how valued a customer he was, his wife came back in again to return the stuff saying she had talked to our district manager and he totally okayed it, we should return it! (He hadn't talked to them yet.)

Dude called up after all this to bitch whoever answered out, the driver who picked up the phone got an earful about it before he could say hold on and pass the phone to me. After the phone got passed to me, he started saying how he would rather junk his car that ever buy a part from me again amd he seemed really unhappy with my deadpan response of "alright sir, is there anything else I can help you with".

gently caress him right in his tweaker rear end. I hope his timing chain guide fails on his ecoboost f-150 now that its out of warranty. :colbert:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 10, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I somehow fixed my transmission issues by removing my battery for 15-20 minutes to confirm I had everything connected properly and no wires had been attacked by the rat in my garage. Next car I buy has a stick, gently caress trying to diagnose issues with autos.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You don't need vaccines because urine is sterile.

gently caress, beaten.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

mariooncrack posted:

What was he trying to accomplish by doing this?

I'm not sure I want to know the answer honestly.

Its the same bullshit line the tweaker who chased me down a road at 90mph while waving a gun at me gave the cops. It kinda fell apart when I told my side of events and correctly identified both types guns the fuckhead and his wife were brandishing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Rhyno posted:

Okay this right here, you shut the hell up. You're one of the smartest people on this forum, you just make a few bad decisions from time to time. I'm serious, I'm visiting DFW this summer and I will punch you in the face.

Stupid kid chat: his parents have decided to sue the news station for slander over the mention of the airsoft gun. They're really doubling down on the little angel thing.
And then someone just stepped forward and claimed he pulled it on them at a car show in August.

poo poo show continues.

Lol. Smart thing for the kid now is to find whoever he brandished the airsoft pistol at and say he won't press charges if they don't. Because he sounds exactly like the little shithead that won't because his parents have told him what a perfect little angel he is. And thinks he can't be touched because his daddys a cop. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
The world doesn't suck, but people are greedy, soulless minions of evil. Yes, even you. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Pham Nuwen posted:

How old is old enough for a sip outta the beer can when mom's not around?

I dunno, me and my cousin got busted breaking into my uncle's liqour stash by my dad when I was 14. His solution was to get us drunk on screwdrivers so we'd all have hangovers and not want to do it again. He failed.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
... my first customer today wanted tips to repair the paint on his girlfriends car after he loaded a 1200 grit sanding pad into a impact gun and tried to buff it like that. He then stole a 3000 grit sanding pad. I'm not paid enough for this poo poo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Darchangel posted:

How... What? Impact? Sanding disk?

It looked like it had been left in a field for 30 years to oxidize the paint, then driven through a mile of thorne bushes. I didn't feel like saying how bad he hosed up in front of the lady who owned the vehicle, so I left it at saying I wouldn't know where to even start fixing that. That car needs a full respray now.

This same guy has now warrantied 3 alternators, but refuses to fix the loving bare copper wires twisted together on the harness to the alternator, because he says its totally not causing the problem. Luckily, I came in after that part, because thats the last alternator he'd be getting under warranty and would be told to gently caress off when he demanded labor reimbursement for his time. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 14, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Darchangel posted:

That's impressive with 1200 grit. Sounds like he heard about color sanding and/or buffing, and didn't really understand. Also, he's a fuckwit.

Yes, yes he is. He also came back in and was rather unnerved by the fact that our manager suddenly appeared from around the corner while he was looking for more stuff to steal. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I've been going up to the local car meet that happens every few wednesdays down the road. Mostly hanging out with the dsm guys since a buddy of mine drives an Eclipse and talks to them. Went over to one of their houses today to help my buddy polish his eclipse. He had been at it for 3 hours by hand and it looked like poo. I brought over the 90's dewalt powered rotary polisher from my garage and tested a few different pads and techniques out. Figured out that the 8" foam pads on the polisher with meguires professional fine cut and mirror glaze was exactly what I wanted. loving had his hood looking shiny with 90% fewer swirl marks in no time flat. I don't wanna think how much work that would have been by hand. And I got to drool over a really clean 2nd gen eclipse gsx. :kimchi:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Moving dis convo to the chat thread to avoid making GBS threads up amc eagle chat:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Nailed it as hard as half of Dallas has nailed Cindy Scull.

The Edge has been in a downhill slide for years though - ever since they did away with locally produced shows. I was a big fan of Edgeclub and The Adventure Club, though Josh (of Adventure Club fame) doesn't even live in DFW anymore. DJ Merritt is still in the area, but he was just another DJ on the Edge after Edgeclub ended.

Scull is still on the air, but they have her on morning drivetime now. Not much talking, mostly music.

It looks like KEGL kept one or two KDGE DJs.

Its been like 10 years since I last saw her in person doing hosting for a concert, but I'd probably still tap that. And the edge was on a downhill slide before I moved to florida. Any time I tuned over, it was boring slow alternative bullshit and no really memorable DJs.

Though apparently KEGL they nixed Chris Ryan which is terrible and shows they don't ever learn. Dude's afternoon show was awesome growing up. :allears:

Bets on how long until the edge is back with a slightly modified format when they figure out every other radio demographic is completely oversaturated?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

my main motivation is bring home paper so i can eat

You should try exchanging the paper for items at a grocery store. They are much more filling and nutritious than paper.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I exchanged help polishing and waxing a '95 Eclipse GS-T thats pushing 26lbs of boost for a ride in it. Its hilariously fast until it hits the limits of the injectors and cuts fuel in 3rd gear. It isn't tuned either, so its rich as gently caress off bost, going lean on boost. And oh so violent the whole way through. :v:

And we made the 25 year old paint look good. Even with the clear coat peeling in spots and it having weird scratches where panels meet each other, you could see a perfect reflection in it by the time we were done. :smug:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I constantly scour outlet stores for levi 559s in my size. $25 for jeans that fit perfectly and last for a year.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Rhyno posted:

I get real good mileage out of these Target jeans. As I was brought up to buy things to make myself feel better I will probably go out and look for new jeans tomorrow.

I tend to blow through jeans like no other. After a year, the knees are blown out, its full of other holes and the crotch is juuuust wearing a hole in it. I live in my jeans. :v:

Edit: also, how much you want for the headlight assemblies off your speed 6 parts car? Assuming you aren't using them ofc.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I hope whatever electrical eniginerd was responsible for the loving wiring in the headlights of the mazda 6 falls dick and/or vagina first into a bed of fire ants. loving disintigrating bullshit that somehow shorts the tail lights too. :argh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Can't you measure depth with a standard pair of calipers? Why not use those?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
It depends on what you are measuring. If someone can die when you measure it wrong, mitutoyos. If it just needs to be good enough, harbor freight all the way.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I'm watching various v8 powered cars go screaming down the track. The gods should be pleased by their sacrifice.

Watching a cts-v run 190 mph, c6 vette do 200, lambo do 212/213/214/ and a viper do 223 in a half mile is insane. Top speed racing owns, go watch an event near you!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

Waiting for my next paycheck to arrive so I can finally have music in my car that isn't a tiny bluetooth speaker. And convincing a friend to buy a five oh moostang.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

i have a few friends that i have a great time hanging out with when we hang out, but the amount of effort it takes to leave the house after getting home from work usually outweighs my desire to go see them

my round trip to work every day is 3 hours and im burning out from it. we're going to florida in the beginning of march for the weekend so that will hopefully help

Where at? Also get you a cuban sammich while here!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Rhyno posted:

The seller says " It's only modifications are tokico blue struts and eibach springs from a fc rx7." He wants $1500 as is or $1800 with these wheels

"18x8.5 racing harts up front 18x9 enkies in the rear"

I have the money, just don't know if I want to dive into another car in this mental state or not.

Holy gently caress, that car looks awesome. Want dat car.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Rhyno posted:

I should dump the MS6 right, fastish cars just get you into trouble. A slow 80's sedan is the right idea.

Ms6 drivetrain in a 929 sounds awesome. I say do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
They came with 13Bs in at leasy japan. And a 2.0 turbo. loving mazda made my dream car, they just made it 30 years ago. :(

• Locked thread