Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

Sounds delish. Pork that's been smoking for hours upon hours is heaven.

What are the New Years traditions people here do?

I am, as per tradition, working until midnight or so then going home and welcoming the new year with bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

I had strep, wife got it...then somehow she got mono.

That was in November. She's still sick.

That said, back in East Texas for a bit. Jesus loving christ I remember why I left.

There's only one brewery! I can't even get decent loving beer. For a place full of alcoholics you'd figure by now that someone would have wised the gently caress up and would sell poo poo not labelled bud, Miller or coors but nope.

So nice to eat whataburger again though.

I recall that being related to the State of Texas being loving terrible about getting a liquor license to bottle from.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

slurry_curry posted:

I guess. Just talked to them again and apparently the damage that happened to the front and rear bumper(screwed up clear bra on the front and scuffed up/dented rear bumper) happened since they have had it and won't change the price at all. They will fix the damaged clear bra, but I would have to pay for it, or else they would just remove the damaged parts but not everything. Apparently they also use body filler on bumpers to fix the waviness from impact and "all dealerships do this". Am I the crazy one for thinking that you NEVER use body filer on bumpers since with a slight tap it will fall off?

I guess I got lucky when I bought my TDI(heh) since that process was completely painless.

Yea, I figured they are trying to pressure me into financing through them since they will get a cut of it.

I get the credit card fee side of things, and if they wold address it from that side I would be fine instead of just saying nope. If they would offer me a discount for not using a credit card that would be fine and I would jump on it. I only want to use my CC for the miles.

Everything you're posting screams 'DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS DEALER', man.

Seriously, no matter how much you want the car, you're signing up to get hosed over by the poo poo they know but aren't going to disclose, on top of the poo poo you have knowledge of.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

I can't figure out why Lampert keeps pumping money into it.

Probably using the losses for tax purposes in some manner.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Better sooner than later, dude. Healing time goes up by a lot with every year that passes.

He's not kidding, I had mine done last May and the pits in my lower gums where they had to dig around are still not filled all the way in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My pay was locked at 9.60/hr since 2006, now it's locked at 10.75/hr until SEP 2017.

Thanks, Arizona!

Your whole profession needs a goddamn raise, that's almost criminal for the work you do.

I made $18k in 2013 as a baker.

I cleared $50k this year for vastly less effort.

Getting out of the job I loved but was killing me, and into monotonous computer janitor work again has worked out. I'm still pretty deeply in the hole though as all the medical issues I put off thanks to being too poor to do anything about them are catching up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Biodome posted:

In non political chat, I may be moving back to Seattle for work. My girlfriend and I each have a car and have decided we won't need both if we settle down in Seattle so we're selling mine and keeping hers since she has a one that can carry more poo poo. I've never sold a car before so I don't know how it works. Do I toss it on Craigslist? Call one of those WE BUY CARS numbers on the side of the road? I'm thinking I just search for the average selling price of my car and toss it up and just take what I think is fair?

Can I sell it to a dealership and have them cut me a check? I assume this will be the least hassle but give me the lowest value.

Don't bother with those 'WE BUY CARS' ads unless it's a busted-out huge pile of poo poo that nobody in their right mind would buy. They will low-ball you furiously.

I've had decent luck with Craigslist.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I've commented to friends and family similarly: who the hell do all these goods and services providers think they are going to be selling to when they keep lower wages, laying off folks, and sending the jobs overseas? Your declining profits aren't because you're not making it cheap enough - you've left no one enough money to buy your poo poo.

Shhhh. Don't tell retailers. It's an inside joke just now that they haven't realized that three years of continually declining sales despite expanding the 'Holiday Shopping Season' all the way back to Halloween aren't a temporary thing. Once the housing market tanks again later this year, the tech startup bubble pops and the economy goes back into free-fall it'll set in that a consumer goods and services economy crashes as soon as the workers can't afford to participate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I would like to clean my 'new' transmission a little bit before I install it. What's the best way to get old nasty grease off without making a huge mess / killing all my grass / etc? Purple Power and a rise? If I work on a concrete slab, will it stain the fucker?

If there's anything I've learned lately it's that Panther Piss is some kind of loving magic for this.

It's also likely to give you all the cancers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

keykey posted:

That is pretty awesome, but in a bittersweet sort of way. I'm about to get 65k more in debt thanks to student loans. The first time I went to school I should have just completed my poo poo then since It was affordable, but noooo I had to take 15 years off instead of just paying my way through initially with a 40 hour a week job, and a masters that would have been close to 8k over 2 years. I now get to take out a 65k loan for just an 18 month program for a masters. The ROI should be worth it though, hopefully.. :homebrew: :suicide:

I hear you. Would have cost me ~30 grand back when I started school, looking at going back now galls me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Its actually super goddamn serious if you get it in writing.

https://cyber.harvard.edu/trusting/unit5all.html

Just remember, no matter how goddamn serious it is, it is only as serious as your ability to take them to court to enforce it.

Contract law is ever in the favor of the man with the best lawyer and deepest pockets.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure millenials would be into cars just fine if they could actually afford them like one used to be able to. The days of working a summer job to buy your Camaro SS with cash are long gone, and I think that's the biggest factor, rather than any actual shift in values.

Yeah, a new sports car is roughly 50% of what I'd pay for a 2 bedroom house here, these days.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I still think nothing says freedom like a full fuel tank.

A full fuel tank, a couple days off work, and a few hundred bucks to blow because gas is triple what it was when I got my license but wages are flat when adjusted for inflation.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 15, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Am I the only person who is getting more progressive(*) the older they get......?

(I know there's plenty but GG some days the mind loving boggles how yesterday's hippies have become today's conservative fucktards)

(*) And I dont mean Liberal. Liberal to me means Libertarian and that poo poo is no loving way to run a decent functional society

You're absolutely not. I used to be bog-standard Midwestern stick in the mud conservative. 9/11 and the cynical abuse of public sentiment and patriotism afterward, and learning enough about the economy to understand that if there's such a thing as a just world, we sure as gently caress aren't living in it changed my tune.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

the spyder posted:

Random question of the day: What keeps you motivated?

I have my own issues going on, but I realized a while ago I have no goals. I wake up each day wondering why I keep going when there's no point. Yet somehow at the 10% of normal I'm working at, I'm still more productive then my friends. It's just so crippling. I'm not trying to jump on the millennial "I need to do something meaningful bandwagon", but gently caress it sure feels better when I feel like I have a purpose. Right now, I'm just standing in a dimly lit field, wondering why am I here?

Inertia. I get out of bed and go to work because that's what's expected of me. Then I come home, turn on a video game, and rot in my chair until time to sleep 5-6 hours and get back up to do it again.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Ah, yes, because Microsoft is the epitome of quality and benevolence.
At least from a hardware standpoint, Macs are built like a brick house.

Really, I don't get the hate. They're powerful and easy to use consumer devices. As a nerdy friend in Network Ops said, they run UNIX and also run Office. The work with Active Directory. Anything you can't do from the GUI, you can come in sideways and do from the command line.
They even run Windows.
Apple is making some decisions I don't like regarding ports and the lack thereof, but the hardware itself is still solid.

(Every OS sucks).

"Solid", but I can replace the business-class Dell I beat up every day every two years for the cost of replacing a Mac every 5.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Is there a polite way to respond to Craigslisters who are only smart enough to ask "how low will you go"

Yeah, respond with a price 20% than your listed price.

It's like 'gently caress YOU', but more polite.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I don't buy new jeans because I inevitably mess them up working on cars, so I just get them from Goodwill

That's what I buy cheap-rear end Walmart jeans for. I inevitably tear the belt loops off at work anyway.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was originally going to leave some recommendations on who I thought would be a good fit but then I realized that quite frankly I wouldn't wish that poo poo on anyone right now.

Glancing at the linked thread? Yeah, no question. That looks like a woodchipper the likes of which 14" might hesitate to stick his dick in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

WTF is going on? Political crapola elsewhere?

So far as I can tell, bunch of offsite poo poo over Lowtax having once employed Shmorky, who has turned out to be a terrible crazy person in his private life apparently. Offsite people assdamaged because SA's not really cool with hating on trans people and openly trying to troll them off the site. They started doxxing mods and trans thread posters in the lamest, least actually effective 'doxxing' possible, and the screamy bits since have caused some drama among the staff that I don't know poo poo about and don't want to.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 20, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo just took a turn.

I just had a visit from the police about my friend's death. Lots of uncomfortable questions. So I guess I'm a suspect?

Rhyno, I say this in the nicest way possible, but have you ever considered just packing a backpack and walking west until you hit water?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

^^^ Listen to this man, this is EXACTLY what happens.

Does AI have a mod yet Y/N?

Nah. More mods are dropping off, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Whoops. There's a word for that isn't there?

Poetic justice?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I love that the same site that was all 'come and have a go, Lowtax, or we doxx your mods' got wrecked by one dude quoting their webhost's mom.

This is the kind of Internet I remember.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 21, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Galler posted:

That fried crust dripping with grease on a Pizza Hut pan pizza is a guilty pleasure of mine. I only have one a couple times a year and the rest of the pizza is pretty bleh but that crust is magical. Firehouse Pizza is my least favorite chain pizza. It's pretty standard chain pizza but with candy sweet :barf:

For actual good pizza I either make it myself or go to a really excellent local place with a proper wood fired brick oven.

There's a proper Chicago-style pizza place here that does pan pizza right. Two inches deep, crispy crust without being super greasy. Gotta call in advance before I go over there, though, as it's a ~45 minute wait for the oven.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 22, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/01/24/2017-01798/special-observances-national-day-of-patriotic-devotion-proc-9570

Check this poo poo out. Y'all ready to celebrate Dear Leader's ascension? Because he's already signed an EO to make the day of his inauguration a holiday.

quote:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United
States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by
the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby
proclaim January 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic
Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to
our country -- and to renew the duties of Government to the
people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

I'm about halfway down a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel 'cause I can't sleep, and it's pretty good for cheap-rear end bourbon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

I'm really enjoying running my Automation challenge right now...sounds lame I know but watching people build virtual race cars is still a lot of fun for me. :unsmith:

Speaking of which, AI, why haven't I heard from y'all yet? :v:

Has Automation stopped being a sack of crap? :v:

Adiabatic posted:

Yo the world needs strong and stoic people to break down around. Your memory of your friend's dad towering high is the way a majority of people view you. Keep on doing what you're doing and certainly don't feel bad about it.

Quoting this for truth. People cope differently with death. Some need to grieve and vent it out, some people keep it emotionally remote and just get on with what needs doing.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 25, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

Generally yes. All the save bugs are gone now, and it generally runs pretty good overall. There is a fair bit of new content (including a light campaign mode, mostly put in to try out all the math they are going to use in the real thing), and starting with the next version, they're going to be running on the Unreal Engine, which has dramatically improved the appearance and, well, just about everything, from what I can tell. This is their most recent dev update if you're wondering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOtRWv0Mi4U

Also, the challenge I built should be a little more friendly too this time around, even if it has gained more complexity.

I'll have to reinstall it then. The save bugs especially were making me an angry loving creature last time I tried.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

RIP the War Doctor (last role I saw him in. Of course, I remember him as Kane in Alien, Winston Smith in 1984, and in Snowpiercer, too.)

I just spent an hour or so solving the riddle for the Jindosh Lock on the mansion in Dishonored 2. A logic puzzle involving 5 ladies with 5 Heirlooms, from 5 countries, wearing 5 colors, drinking 5 alcohols at 5 places at the table. The matrix to solve it was pretty good sized, and I'm out of practice with that type of puzzle, but I got it right, without resorting to help, in game or internet. There was an achievement for doing it without learning the answer elsewhere in game, it turns out. Go me! Just felt like I wanted to exercise my brain - it's been too long since I worked a puzzle like that. Felt good!

He was so loving good as the War Doctor. In half an hour of screen time he made a more sympathetic and emotional version of The Doctor than Matt Smith managed in several seasons.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How the gently caress is the bolded part in any way shape or form legal? I cant see how it would be constitutional

Edit : Isnt citizenship supposed to be an uncontested right of entry?

It's not, but it'll be next week at least for a court to smack it down, and meanwhile those people are stuck out of the country, ie not at their jobs, making money to pay their rent and bills, and separated from any US family.

11 people currently detained at JFK because they were in the air on the way here when the order was signed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

When loving cracked dot com has an accurate article about what would happen when the US eventually gets into a civil war, you know everything is hosed

The loving White House Press Secretary quoted the Onion on Twitter. Specifically this post talking about how his job is going to be to provide robust misinformation :

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/825546280034201600

On top of that, this whole EO regarding travel bans was never run past the DOJ or DHS before a couple hours before signing. It's just something Bannon and company cooked up and realized they'd never get past anyone with a legal background, so pushed it straight to signing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

ugh i gave yall a south park reference and everybody ignored it

this is truly the worst timeline

Still watching South Park in The Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand And Seventeen is the worst.

• Locked thread