Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Spending New year's on call for work.

At least one car vs pole in the wee hours is almost guaranteed. =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My pay was locked at 9.60/hr since 2006, now it's locked at 10.75/hr until SEP 2017.

Thanks, Arizona!

Jesus Christ dude. You're way too clever to be working for that pittance.

In related news, I'm in the power utility business, and we got a new HR director about 1.5 years ago, and she dropped starting pay to barely above minimum wage (I started at $10/hr, 10 years ago).

There has been quite a few rumblings about it and the crew leaders who spoke up were shot down. Well, we've also been trying to get some new linemen hired because we're grossly understaffed especially considering how long training takes and the number of upcoming retirees we have. Anyhow, they finally ok'ed 2 new hires, did interviews, called them back to inform they were hired...and BOTH guys turned the job down with stated reason that pay rate was too low. LOL.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cage posted:

I deactivated my facebook account a few weeks ago. Can still use messenger, which I still do and is nice. Feels good man.

My fb app was on the 2nd home screen on my phone and for days afterward I would constantly try to open it. Just wasted so much time checking my feed and then feeling bad about myself because anyone only ever posts good things.

I deactivated mine almost a year ago, and now I stay very caught up on AI.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Geoj posted:

Still waiting - present your non-condescending case to the guy who works for $8/hour at the local sawmill and thinks that's a perfectly acceptable wage because he also believes that through nothing but hard work he will someday be in charge and in a position to benefit from our horribly lopsided in favor of the employer labor laws.

"Raising the minimum wage is for sawmill workers."

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Are there places that don't outsource ambulances? I always thought of them as private companies.

My shop was once rented out to an ambulance service. My shop used to have a cantilever crane with an electric winch that reached both bays, and said ambulance service cut it off at the concrete because I guess it was in the way.

:colbert: private ambulance services, I don't know.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Worst I ever had to do was a battery change on a Honda Fit in about 15 deg. F.
It doesn't get that cold here usually, but on a cold night I hit a deer on the way home and popped the radiator in my old Tundra.

Made it home but had to use it the next morning, called around and o'reilly had one in stock. Had my wife pick it up and changed it in the yard at about 10° F that night. No wind though, so it really wasn't bad. Worst part was that I had replaced that rad only a year before when the original started leaking.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Re: synthetic oil prices.

The 5qt jug of Mobil1 is regularly on sale for 15 bux-ish at Wal-Mart. Some weirdos on bobistheoilguy say it's a different formula but they are full of poo poo.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Modus Man posted:

I've been buying m1 at Walmart for the last 3 years and haven't seen it on sale once, I guess I have terrible timing?

I dunno, but it's not all the time.

Also it may be on the endcap or somewhere else with the sale price, but the normal aisle location says regular price. Seen that too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I wouldn't put anything but the finest mobil1 in my precious 12 year old Yamaha motor my friend. :v:

Naw I'm pretty sure it was 15-16 bucks. If I see it again I'll take a picture.

Edit: maybe it's regional? Looks like our regular price is $25.47.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 9, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kastein posted:

The thing that annoys me most about those sorts of things is the drat screws into the outlet box are always a little stiff going in and I freak out wondering if I cross threaded or chowdered the threads,
I never use the device screws to pull the device into the box. Push it in by hand and then thread the screws down to the device.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

I am confirming and affirming this advice. Even if it's just one session.

I am also having a hard time understanding how it could ever add up to be better for an individual to keep a bigger tax deduction via paying mortgage interest, vs eliminating the interest payment outright.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I agree with that, if that's the situation. Definitely need to start saving for retirement asap.

(Edit: I thought TT was saying he could pay it in full or pretty quickly.)

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 11, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

What I mean to say is if Sally has $196k chillin and decides to take out a $200k loan and then one year later decides to pay it off with the $196k she still has, in total interest paid she comes out the same as taking a $4k loan out at 130% interest.

Your example assumes the money was chilling in the bank account of the mortgagor. Generally the opportunity to pay off a large compound interest debt like a home mortgage is because of an unexpected windfall as in our case. You aren't accounting for the other ~$106000 interest saved in your example, by paying off after 1 year and not paying out the 30 year term.

If TT is able to pay off the loan and put $1500 monthly in retirement investment starting immediately, it's hard for me to see how that wouldn't pay out more, on balance. Also the loan is brand new, and I'm guessing it's his first home, so as someone else pointed out, it remains to be seen whether he'll be able to itemize anyhow.

Also I really really need a CPA. I've been turbotax-ing it for years and I really think I'm not taking advantage of the tax code.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Apparently It's possible to be certified to work on a/c systems in this province with little more than a cursory glance at the concepts of superheating and subcooling with zero info on how they relate to what's going on in the system. lol no wonder everyone I meet is terrified of this stuff.

It's the same in the southern U.S.

And most techs that I've met are woefully undereducated.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

There's a reason why there's a million and one AC companies down here in Florida. I said I can confirm that most texts are dumb as poo poo.

And I work in commercial and residential is even worse.

To be fair, all the trades are terrible here. There is no pride or work ethic among electricians or plumbers, and no accountability either.

So I guess it should be expected that hvac follow suit, being a skilled job that should require knowledge of both electrical and plumbing, besides specialized knowledge.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG, 10pm and it's 39.8C

gently caress that.

We had a low of 95f (35c) one night, it was humid too and drat miserable. Had a (10 MW iirc) substation transformer die cause the cooling fans quit.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Kiwifarms is actively doxxing transgender people from our forum after some drama happened centered around shmorky

I believe it had something to do with them doing something, then lowtax posted a picture or a link in order to grab someone's IP address and it spiraled from there

I don't understand any of this or what it has to do with AI.

I'm also confused by your use of 'interstitial'.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Powershift posted:

Anyone older than me is an ignorant greedy boomer. Anyone younger than me is a lazy feckless millennial.

Only people born within 10 minutes in either direction are normal, functional people.

:perfect:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Everything will keep going just fine.

You think the previous or current generation had a loving clue? Pffttt.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My greatest joy comes from making myself miserable. With every day comes fresh opportunity to stoke my masochism.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I guess lowtax prefers Boolean algebra

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I get dominoes sometimes, because we live waaaaaay out in the country, and they still deliver.

.....I have no illusions that it is quality. It's junk food that drives to my house, which is a luxury I've never had before.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I heard a piece on npr yesterday about Holland of all places becoming anti-muslim immigration.

They worry about conservative religious persons not fitting in with their established liberal values. That's an interesting spin, I thought.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

My wife found these things today which amuse me

And I thought of your question

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

the spyder posted:

She might be delivering this weekend or in 45 days. Now accepting bets. Winner gets booze.
March 7th, 9:42 pm

Good luck with everything!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Maybe it's my being raised in an apocalyptic cult, but I'm strangely comfortable with the events of the last few days

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Reality is happening man. Distractions are nice, but we live here, and our neighbors are being attacked.
I am actively wringing my hands what more do you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

ahahaha the missus randomly met up with an ex on the slopes. they went and hosed on our lunch break

headed to the coors factory tonight. what a fuckin vacation

:captainpop:

• Locked thread