Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I went on a game show. That was about the only cool thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pretty good group of guests at this house party I'm at

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Going home for the first time in more than three years over Christmas and realizing how much being around friends and family helps your psyche has broken that one lingering thought in my head of "maybe I should stay in." It's also made me reconsider not getting the med board that I was offered the last time I saw my doctor. I've got less than a year and a half left, but every second of not being in counts.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Take the med board. It streamlines your VA benefits if you'll get any.

If you never follow any advice that anyone gives you, please follow this.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Med boards go a lot quicker these days (usually) so you could get out sooner!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My medboard loving sucked. It took about 19 months, which is admittedly abnormally wrong based on what I saw with every other soldier in WTB with me. When I got there it was one group of people getting medboarded and by the time I left the entire platoon had turned over twice. It made me miserably lonely and suicidal on a regular basis. I got hooked on the drugs that the doc was giving me because being stoned took me out of my own mind and provided me the comfort of not really being in reality for a few hours. A few times I was tempted to try and OD.

I hated it. I wanted to die.

It was 100% worth it compared to what people who get out and apply for disability compensation go through. My story is probably a little more on the obscene side as far as the process goes, and I would do it again even if I knew it was going to be even worse.

Seriously, take the medboard. The military has probably hosed you in one way or another. Put yourself in the best position to get something beneficial out of it.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 1, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
For comparisons sake, mine was really quick and I think it was just over 4 months from start to kickin' back on terminal leave.

So between mine and TBeats you've got a pretty good chance that you'll be out sooner, and have your benefits sorted out.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Chiming in to say take the med board. Mine lasted for eight months and was slightly longer than the average med board at Bragg when I went through. A buddy of mine just finished his in six months.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Way to loving jinx yourself right out the gates.

And for the medboard guy.

take the medboard. I am still within 3 months of my official termination date and dude, it is so much better.

You know what I did today? I woke up, smoked pot, let my dogs out, played with my sons, played video games, played with my wife's butt, smoked a lot more pot, vaped pot, took a nap, looked at my calendar and realized I don't have to wake up at 6 or whatever until my first day of class which is loving easy by the way and that's at the end of Jan, took a shower, and smoked more pot. Now I am making AVB brownies because vaping doubles your mileage with pot and cooking a really loving good bacon potato soup that I'll post the ingredients too in the cooking thread.

Life outside the military exists. The fact that I am still institutionalized means that you are waaaaaaay off base if you think that staying in the military is the better option.

You are being handed a ticket that is saying "you know, we hosed you up so here is a paycheck for the rest of your goddamn life."

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
You guys are right. I actually have an appointment with my doctor this week, and had a minor panic attack because I couldn't remember if it was tomorrow or Tuesday, and I'm out of town so if it were tomorrow I'd end up missing it and getting hosed up at work over it. gently caress any job that does that to you over potentially missing a doctor's appointment.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The first 10 months of 2016 were pretty good. I got involved with the community theater around Ramstein and I found something that really clicks with me. I really enjoying singing and acting onstage and it's great. I met a pretty fantastic gal who was working backstage and we started dating and I thought things were going really great. We talked about getting married, I thought she was really the one. It was great.

The last two months have been particularly rough. She couldn't communicate and tell me we were having problems until it was too late to do anything, and the way she finally communicated them was by blowing up out of nowhere two weeks ago. This set me on a lovely road where I started drinking more and turned into a drunken belligerent at a Christmas eve gathering, which made her really "rethink" everything. The day after Christmas I'm sitting here freaking out because during Christmas at her parents' house, she told me the way I was acting reminded her of one of her uncles who got drunk and molested her as a child. I don't remember everything I did Christmas eve so that really hosed me up. I've got nieces, I was really worried I did something unforgivable. Like I've got a child molester hiding inside me waiting to get out. I couldn't convince myself I was a good person. This led to me having a nervous breakdown where I really did not want to be alone at home for fear of doing something stupid. So I asked if I could go over there instead.

I went over there and she finally talked to me about things while I was a crying wreck about being a possible child molester. Turns out I didn't do anything, I was just a drunk idiot who kept repeating himself and saying stupid poo poo. But she's been having stress for two months and chalked it up to school, her parents, and theater work. Now she thinks it's the relationship. She told me part of her doesn't want to have to be responsible to someone else for what she does, since she's been hanging out with another dude and I get understandably jealous. She told me she doesn't see a future with me anymore. But she didn't want to break up with me because of the holidays, because of my mental state. She was feeling trapped in the relationship. So I broke up with her, because I wasn't going to wait for the other shoe to drop waiting to be let down easy, and I'm not going to make her be in a relationship she doesn't want.

Sounds to me like she just doesn't want to try at all, after I was willing to do almost anything to make it work. Things got hard so she quit. It hurts a lot. I've sat around questioning my worth and why I wasn't good enough. The worst thing is I've been off work and most of the folks I know are out of town for the holidays, so I've had nothing but time to myself to sit and think and hurt.

I finally got back on my feet the last few days. It still hurts, but I don't think I'm a child molester. I still miss her and I'm going to but I elected for a hard sever, since nothing else is likely to get me over it. She was somehow surprised that I didn't want to try and stay friends immediately. So hopefully 2017 is more like the first 10 amazing months of 2016, and less like the shitshow of November and December.

e: on a semi-funny note, I told her if it's between her or alcohol, it'll always be her. Looks like it's not her so I'll probably pick that back up when I'm not feeling sadbrains and broke up.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 2, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
What the gently caress

Normal people don't "have a child molester in them" that just casually comes out, that was a horrendously lovely thing for her to say, don't put that bullshit on yourself.

From what you've written, it seems she's been looking for an out, and you need someone better than such weasly bullshit. Tell her she's finally become her mother, and ride into the sunset.

Wait, nevermind, you've already dumped her, good loving riddance.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
10 out of 12 ain't bad.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I felt like I wasted an entire year of my life. Moving to a flat frozen tundra of a state was a horrible idea and I'm getting the least amount of exercise I've gotten since... gently caress, I don't even know. I've been pretty active my whole life and now I don't even want to go outside.

Good news is I'm moving in less than two weeks to a state with mountains and poo poo. The pay is better and the rent will be cheaper. I want to get back in shape and volunteer for stuff outside. I want to climb all the mountains and get good at running up hills so I can run the race to robie creek again and be competitive. I want to eat In-N-Out burger after hiking 18 miles and declare it the greatest meal there ever was. I don't want to poo poo off the side of a mountain but knowing my luck it'll probably happen.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Where'd you move to/from?

I moved to Central oregon from southern NM, where it's sunny about 350 days a year and mid 50's is the lowest it gets all year to a similar frozen tundra.

15 lbs gained and I guess the summer doesn't really start until mid may around these parts...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

dscruffy1 posted:

The first 10 months of 2016 were pretty good. I got involved with the community theater around Ramstein and I found something that really clicks with me. I really enjoying singing and acting onstage and it's great. I met a pretty fantastic gal who was working backstage and we started dating and I thought things were going really great. We talked about getting married, I thought she was really the one. It was great.

There's always someone better out there, man. 7 billion people, you're going to find someone that shares your brand of crazy.

And if not, there's always cats.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

MurderBot posted:

Where'd you move to/from?

I moved to Central oregon from southern NM, where it's sunny about 350 days a year and mid 50's is the lowest it gets all year to a similar frozen tundra.

15 lbs gained and I guess the summer doesn't really start until mid may around these parts...

Went from Idaho to Minnesota. There's a lot of people here who thoroughly enjoy it, almost every one of them was born and raised here. I'll be moving to Utah.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

Went from Idaho to Minnesota. There's a lot of people here who thoroughly enjoy it, almost every one of them was born and raised here. I'll be moving to Utah.

I spent a lot of summers up in Sauk Center MN working on my uncles farms. The summer's are out of this world there, but gently caress those winters....

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hotel Kpro posted:

So you're planning to trade Scandinavians for mormons?

Sounds like a loss to me, but the scenery will be much nicer.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Utah has In-N-Out burger. I think I'll be alright.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So does Cali

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

and Arizona

Phoenix is nice this time of year

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

and Arizona

Phoenix is nice this time of year

Thousands of snow birds can't be wrong.

Also In 'n out burger is the poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

2016 saw me leave service after 9 years unceremoniously and getting hosed over. I saw my friend of two years and personal confidante die due to an overdose. She was treated worse than I was since we were squad mates. Like my commander tried to get me to spy on her and narc so they could chapter her instead of let her medboard. They tried to do the same with me. I almost failed the last class I needed to graduate and passed with a D- a 62. It was the fifth class of the semester in the second college which I am fully attending now and while still in service (technically) and having just moved. I made the drive largely by myself down the west coast bringing my family with me. My father in law was diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer, a good old commander died from insurgency as a civilian contractor. My PTSD has gotten so bad that I am actively seeking more compensation because if I don't, I will probably end up fired from all the jobs I d because I can't make appointments to save my life. It's so bad that I have stopped trying to convince myself that I don't need to die at my own hand, but I thought about doing that dance. A lot. I can't because of my kids, but that desire still persists. I can't sleep before 5 AM most nights and get up when my kids do mostly at 8 AM. I have 0 friends.

However comma someone just got sprung by that.

I am optimistic. 2017 is going to be my year. My family's year. We are planning on buying a house, I was just accepted for Voc Rehab at a private and expensive school. My wife is the pregnant with our third and final child, we live in the last big city we will live in before we try for Europe (years down the road) and live the life I have worked hard to get. Even as a teen, I wanted my own house in a location that I liked doing a job I like without being called a piece of poo poo on a daily basis. I am a functioning disabled person despite the setbacks and am aware of the problems I have and am actively trying to fix them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

2016 saw me leave service after 9 years unceremoniously and getting hosed over. I saw my friend of two years and personal confidante die due to an overdose. She was treated worse than I was since we were squad mates. Like my commander tried to get me to spy on her and narc so they could chapter her instead of let her medboard. They tried to do the same with me. I almost failed the last class I needed to graduate and passed with a D- a 62. It was the fifth class of the semester in the second college which I am fully attending now and while still in service (technically) and having just moved. I made the drive largely by myself down the west coast bringing my family with me. My father in law was diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer, a good old commander died from insurgency as a civilian contractor. My PTSD has gotten so bad that I am actively seeking more compensation because if I don't, I will probably end up fired from all the jobs I d because I can't make appointments to save my life. It's so bad that I have stopped trying to convince myself that I don't need to die at my own hand, but I thought about doing that dance. A lot. I can't because of my kids, but that desire still persists. I can't sleep before 5 AM most nights and get up when my kids do mostly at 8 AM. I have 0 friends.

However comma someone just got sprung by that.

I am optimistic. 2017 is going to be my year. My family's year. We are planning on buying a house, I was just accepted for Voc Rehab at a private and expensive school. My wife is the pregnant with our third and final child, we live in the last big city we will live in before we try for Europe (years down the road) and live the life I have worked hard to get. Even as a teen, I wanted my own house in a location that I liked doing a job I like without being called a piece of poo poo on a daily basis. I am a functioning disabled person despite the setbacks and am aware of the problems I have and am actively trying to fix them.

That's loving rough man, I feel ya. I had a close family member pass from cancer shortly after having been declared cancer free less than a year prior. 2016 was an awful year, made all the worse by the world going to poo poo, effectively limiting any kind of external sense of improvement or benefit. 2017 hasn't exactly started with a bang of improvement, though this entire experience has provided me with alot of perspective about what in life is worth struggling and working for. My relationship with my girlfriend has been on the rocks a bit as a consequence of everything that's happened, and honestly I don't blame her. Trying to get hot though, and make sure that 2017 is a year in which I dictate the terms and pace of my trials as best as I am able.

I hope you get your sleep poo poo under control, I know quite well how lack of rest can effect every other aspect of your personality. Sub life instilled in me a deep, deep hunger for rest and sleep. I have no clue how I used to do poo poo after 72 hours on 4 hours sleep. I hope I don't ever have to figure it out again

• Locked thread