Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

This is really good, and should probably do one myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TBeats posted:

I stopped drinking. I don't smoke weed very much anymore (I was going through an ounce a week to deal with my depression and now I smoke maybe once a month).

I solely produced an EP for a local guy that has sold ~75 copies through various digital outlets. It's not exactly platinum but it's one of my biggest accomplishments in my lifetime. Although listening to it now, I think it sounds like poo poo simply because I've made leaps and bounds of progress with music production.

I had the best semester of my life in the fall. And when I say "of my life" I am including all the way back to high school, which I graduated from ten years ago.

I made it a year without a single bill being late. I am 100% out of debt. My credit score went up 160 points. My financial situation is better now than I can ever remember it being (I even had money to buy decent Christmas gifts this year!). I'm not in a mansion but I have almost everything I need with some spending money to boot. I almost have enough for a car and should be able to afford a nice one in another month or two. I could get one now, but I live in a small town and it isn't necessary so I'm saving for something a little nicer.

Oh, and Monty. He's the best part of every year and every day. He turned 2 in August.

I am finally at a comfortable spot and for the first time in as long as I can remember, it is going to be somewhat difficult to make next year better than this year was for me.

Thanks for reading my end-of-the-year-jerk-off session.

Please do that goddamn thing I tell everyone to do and your score will go higher.

Also you and I are super loving similar at times.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TBeats posted:

The thing about challenging everything on my credit report?

If that was you then I got a few questions for you.

1) what are the negative consequences, if any?

2) where specifically do you dispute everything? My bank that I may get a car loan from uses equifax, just FYI.

If this works I might apply for a car loan. The credit union here does a little over 2% financing for people with great credit (720+, I'm at 690 at the moment, but it's not solely based on score -- I have two years or so before things start falling off) and I wouldn't have a problem with a ~$10k loan with that type of rate.

1) no. I have had one company reply back and it basically said "um, no dude you owe us money" but it is passed 7 years and that company is sharky as gently caress so gently caress them. Never paid them, just ignored them. Fell off my credit score a while back.

2) either of the 3 should work but use Equifax because ymmv thanks to that info.

USAA has a great program for car buying. I ended up getting my car at a great price (3k under market. 14k for a 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport with 15k miles.) and Ingot money back. Their home buying program is hit or miss. I'd just shop around.

After having my score drop down to 670 it's back at 780 the month after my house payment cleared and absolved my debt.

Also debt free is amazing but you need revolving debt and a car is ok but strive for about 20% your total amount of credit. A personal loan is a good idea and USAA should have a credit score type program to help.

However you are just fine. That score is good though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TBeats posted:

I don't owe anyone money except for my credit cards. I don't consider that "debt" in the sense of "I am 100% out of debt" because I use it responsibly and it isn't a burden to me like having to spend the next year paying it off. It gets paid off monthly in full or very close to it. I have two capital one cards and I use my one that has the best cash back rewards for purchases and I use my other one for automatic monthly charges (Netflix, Apple Music, etc). They report my stuff to the credit bureaus around the 9th of every month so I make sure to have my balance below 20% of my total limit as soon as I get paid on the 1st, and I make sure I don't go over that 20% until a few days after the 9th just to be safe.

USAA declined a loan for me because I have unpredictable income, or something of the sort since my GI Bill will be done next spring (when I graduate -- I'll still have some benefits left but I'm not sure if I'll take another semester just because, it really depends on where my life is at at that point.

The credit union here that I plan on applying for the loan for will work with me on a more personal level than USAA will. With my current credit, I was planning on getting a 12 month loan on $4-5k, with $2000 sitting in an emergency account in case something happens and for some reason I can't pay my bill out of my monthly income. I'm trying to find a balance between putting that $2000 towards the loan, keeping some of it in the bank as an emergency car payment fund, and keeping some set aside for repairs. I will be driving MAYBE 6000 miles a year with one road trip to and from Florida per year, so it needs to be reliable, but it doesn't need to be pristine. My school is a six mile round trip, the grocery store is a mile away, and anything worth doing in this town is somewhere in the middle of those two distances.

I have no idea why I'm saying all this, but this is the situation and any advice would rule!

So immediately I can tell you that keeping money just sitting in a savings account is losing money. Go to Vanguard.com look at their index500 fund and invest the amount required to start. They have other ones that have a lower entry requirement but you wanna look at high risk, short term.

Why?

Look at their history. Almost (going off memory and I think 2007 is the only year they went down) every year they made around 8% increase. Compare that with the paltry 2% IF you are lucky that your bank will give you for a savings account. 6% is a lot. 180 dollars off of 3k.

You are barely making inflation with a savings account. You can withdrawal your money at any time with no penalty because you are investing and not doing a retirement plan. Money takes 1-3 days to go back to your account. I have had good success with 2 days at the highest.

Be patient. Money goes up and down. I have moaned when I have had lower than my investment and am happy as gently caress I have essentially made 400 bucks in a few months that I have been investing again. Touch it, you will lose money. The market will always recover. You will have bigger problems if it doesn't.

And I get it. Finances are tricky and you have a plan and that is important. You also know a lot already. Don't forget to get your tax breaks for school poo poo if you need anything or aren't in vocational rehabilitation. I don't have a lot of training in finances but my buddy is a personal finance accountant and has a masters so, I trust his advice.

Remember that banks are businesses. Period. They are there to make money. USAA denied me a personal loan to pay closing costs and instead forced me to max my credit cards, cash advance, smashing my credit score and pissing me off. Not buyin a house with them again.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Way to loving jinx yourself right out the gates.

And for the medboard guy.

take the medboard. I am still within 3 months of my official termination date and dude, it is so much better.

You know what I did today? I woke up, smoked pot, let my dogs out, played with my sons, played video games, played with my wife's butt, smoked a lot more pot, vaped pot, took a nap, looked at my calendar and realized I don't have to wake up at 6 or whatever until my first day of class which is loving easy by the way and that's at the end of Jan, took a shower, and smoked more pot. Now I am making AVB brownies because vaping doubles your mileage with pot and cooking a really loving good bacon potato soup that I'll post the ingredients too in the cooking thread.

Life outside the military exists. The fact that I am still institutionalized means that you are waaaaaaay off base if you think that staying in the military is the better option.

You are being handed a ticket that is saying "you know, we hosed you up so here is a paycheck for the rest of your goddamn life."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So does Cali

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

2016 saw me leave service after 9 years unceremoniously and getting hosed over. I saw my friend of two years and personal confidante die due to an overdose. She was treated worse than I was since we were squad mates. Like my commander tried to get me to spy on her and narc so they could chapter her instead of let her medboard. They tried to do the same with me. I almost failed the last class I needed to graduate and passed with a D- a 62. It was the fifth class of the semester in the second college which I am fully attending now and while still in service (technically) and having just moved. I made the drive largely by myself down the west coast bringing my family with me. My father in law was diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer, a good old commander died from insurgency as a civilian contractor. My PTSD has gotten so bad that I am actively seeking more compensation because if I don't, I will probably end up fired from all the jobs I d because I can't make appointments to save my life. It's so bad that I have stopped trying to convince myself that I don't need to die at my own hand, but I thought about doing that dance. A lot. I can't because of my kids, but that desire still persists. I can't sleep before 5 AM most nights and get up when my kids do mostly at 8 AM. I have 0 friends.

However comma someone just got sprung by that.

I am optimistic. 2017 is going to be my year. My family's year. We are planning on buying a house, I was just accepted for Voc Rehab at a private and expensive school. My wife is the pregnant with our third and final child, we live in the last big city we will live in before we try for Europe (years down the road) and live the life I have worked hard to get. Even as a teen, I wanted my own house in a location that I liked doing a job I like without being called a piece of poo poo on a daily basis. I am a functioning disabled person despite the setbacks and am aware of the problems I have and am actively trying to fix them.

• Locked thread