Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've thankfully managed to avoid getting sick so far this winter. Just the very minor runny nose every now and again, but between getting a flu shot and actually remembering to wash my hands frequently I've staved off the worst of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah if he had landed JUST slightly differently that article would have been about his family's fight with the life insurance company.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

My back/groin injury this week has reminded me that I'm totally not in my 20s anymore. When I went to urgent care on Friday to get some serious anti-inflammatories and a muscle relaxer they offered me vicodin. Being a white male owns.

(I didn't take the script)

Yeah man. My most recent flare up in my back is finally starting to subside after about two months of isolation exercises and stretching, which is good because I'm only 27 and have had to move around like I'm 57.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Have you had to crip walk with a cane yet? I spent about a year total dragging a stick around. In my 20s. Five or so months after I ets'd and my back absolutely had it, another six months around 5 years ago when I was in community college.

It loving sucks having to walk with a stick, but at least you always have something to hit people with.

Last time my back went badly was about a year ago and holy gently caress I didn't do poo poo for two months but stretch and lay on the floor for hours at a time. Thankfully Fallout 4 helped with the boredom.

Nothing that bad, although for a while when I first injured it in Afghanistan, bending over to lace up my boots was unbearable. When it flared up earlier this year I decided to not be an idiot this time around and actually went to an orthopedist. Two months of physical therapy made it a hell of a lot better. The second time two months ago was just me being dumb and thinking I could do deadlifts again since it felt fine. lol nope.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

I can't drink more than two beers without getting terrible acid reflux. It's like something that started in the past year or so.

I get this from liquor. Beer just makes me sleepy at this point.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's amazing how much random poo poo (especially straight up sugar) is added to a lot of prepackaged foods, including stuff like spaghetti sauce. Cooking meals from scratch can shave off 400-500 calories a day.

Here's a good NY times article on how much effort goes into it: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

just lol if you don't accidentally turn your alarm off when you're disoriented in the morning instead of placing it on snooze and then fall back asleep for another hour

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You guys need to discover the majesty of working from home. Wake up at 7:30, shower, and eat breakfast after logging in at 8 while watching TV.

Also I schedule all of my on-site customer engagements for 10 AM so I can still do this and miss the morning rush hour.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

no bones about it posted:

Hey how about that time your boss told you to move a 12 foot long, 7 foot high, 6900 lb disk array from the data center raised floor to the warehouse area 500 yards away, and you only have yourself, and one other guy to do it and no, a pallet truck will not fit under it.

I almost became two of me when i tried to stop the thing rolling down a ramp

Also one of the tires on your hand truck is flat and the rack on the other side has been set for fixed length rail kits so you have to readjust it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Untagged posted:

Anyone else catch the dick and balls drawn on the auction card. Show is very good.

I cracked up when James hit the fire alarm.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was recently chastised on SA for being paranoid and stealing from poor website operators because I ran an adblocker to prevent XSS attacks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just lol if you didn't ditch all of your blanks at the first opportunity and turn in you weapon unfired, only to have the armorer complain about how dirty it was.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

IDK, I've never had the desire to go on a cruise. I'd rather spend the money on something else.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Syrian Lannister posted:

Ford finally confirmed that both the Ranger and Bronco are coming back during the Detroit Autoshow

Ranger in 2019
Bronco in 2020

http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-auto-show/ford-confirms-bronco-and-ranger

efb

Here's hoping they don't make the Ranger into a massive loving pickup like the Tacoma has become.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wanna wait a few years and buy one used with 150k miles and no AC.

The only acceptable way to buy a truck.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

man I can't complain about salaried positions all that much, I work my 8 hours, sometimes go to yoga class on my hour long lunch, peep some yoga butts. If I come in for 3 hours on a weekend, I get an entire day off in lieu. There are worse fates.

If I have to leave work early for something, I still get paid.

My company doesn't care about how much you do or do not work, so long as everything gets done.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

You drive a Focus right, the one with the dual clutch 6-speed auto? Drove one of those for a few years, recently got rid of it, and heard second hand that the new owner has pretty much exactly the same problem as you. There's a Ford dealership close to where I work and I was told they replace the transmissions in those Focuses on a daily basis.

Glad I have the 6 speed manual, then.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'll be at Hanscom for work the day before St. Patrick's Day, which is on a Friday this year. Is it worth sticking around in Boston for it, or is it an annoying shitshow?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

There is no way I'd leave Boston prior to that.

St Patrick's Day is one of only three reasons I'd ever go to Boston in the first place (the others being the USS Constitution and wearing pinstripes to a Yankees-Red Sox game at Fenway).

Yeah I booked the return flight for Sunday morning so I can spend Saturday exploring revolutionary era history while walking off my hangover.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the freedom trail is cool, and made cooler by the amount of bars in the area

the boston aquarium and science museum are rad too

Which area should I stay in to maximize food/drinking/lesser-well-known touristy stuff? The North End?

e: All of my knowledge of Boston comes from Fallout 4 and Mark Wahlberg movies.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 15, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Haha well right outside of Hanscom's main gate is a Liam Maguires Irish pub which is a lovely chain, so there's that.

You're about 25 minutes from Boston with no traffic if you're staying at Hanscom during the weekend. If you plan on driving in and are active duty/reserve/retired, you can drive onto the coast guard base and get free parking for the day (no overnight though). Otherwise expect to pay a ton for parking.

In the north end, I would hit up Ernesto's for awesome pizza-it's about .5 miles from the coast guard base. Otherwise if you want a great sub, go to Dino's or Monica's. Really in the north end, you can't go wrong picking a place.

Driving in Boston can suck-most of the roads are narrow, but hopefully the snow is all melted by then and you can fit more than one car down most of the side roads.

I don't really drink in Boston so I can't help with that-I stay outside of the city for that.

Also: the T (subway) is free for military as well. Just find a worker near the turnstiles and show then your ID.

Edit: Hanover street is the north end is where most of the touristy (but still pretty good food) is at. The places I recommended above are one street over on Salem street.

I'm staying in Boston after I'm done at Hanscom, so that's not an issue. Where's the best drinking, then, if not in the city?

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 16, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm going to London in a week and a half for work. What area should I stay in/what should I see while I'm there? I don't really give a poo poo about touristy stuff, and I've been to the UK before (albeit in the North, which is probably entirely different) so I've done the majority of "British" things. Side note: northern England is great and everyone should rent a car and spend a week or two driving on the wrong side of the road to explore it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Someone called the HOA on my neighbor for having sticks in their yard, so now my entire street gets inspected.

So, I walked around the yard today and picked up the sticks before mowing (my grass wasn't that long, but I could see them throwing a fit over it, since they're apparently angry at the existence of trees). Apparently I missed one, because the mower sheered off a chunk of it, which embedded itself in my shin. My EMT neighbor (same one who got Three Olives'd) removed most of it, but now I'm sitting here like an rear end in a top hat in the urgent Care clinic waiting for the local anesthesia to fully kick in before they go digging around for the rest of it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

gently caress Colorado Springs lol who would yell about being a vet there that's like 95% of the male population

The only people I know that like Colorado Springs are people that like being in military towns.

So basically milspouses and medically retired E3s.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

Just work for the government again. Duh

Accepted an offer last week for a position that will involve zero interaction with the federal government; purely commercial with maybe the occasional SLED customer tossed in. Don't even give a poo poo about my SCI going inactive.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

House chat: the county came by today and cut down a tree in my front yard that was in the process of dying. Apparently there's an invasive species in the US that's completely wiping out the Ash tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMfORKbEivc

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I rewatched every episode from season 1-18 in Afghanistan. Season 14 is the last "good" one, but it was at it's funniest from like 4-10.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My new job is with a startup and they don't offer ST/LT disability insurance. Anyone got a recommendation for a decent ST/LT plan?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That'll happen pretty routinely once you start to build credit. Interestingly, it actually helps your credit score assuming you maintain the same level of utilization, since your overall utilization will be a smaller percentage of your overall available credit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

It's a trap. My limit is like 40k but I'll be damned if I ever go higher than I can pay off with my next check.

I had two international trips that fell in the same billing cycle last year and I ended up owing something like $12,000 (which I was reimbursed for before the bill was due, thankfully). Cash back from that was nice, though!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had this week off before starting my new job on Monday. I made a list of poo poo to do and it felt good to do it all. Still had time for fun, too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

Yes. Its still a thing racists complain about, while completely ignoring the stupid poo poo white trash name their crotch parasites.

The good thing is people seem to have gotten past the "parents were hippies, weren't they?" when someone turns up with a reasonable name like Athena.

I make fun of stupid names given to people of all races.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Munich's mass transit system confuses me, what with the two subway systems and whatnot.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

I got my first IT certification today and I guess working toward advancing in my career is pretty Dad woo

Congrats dude. Always feels good to knock a cert out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I got my CISSP so I let my Sec+ expire. Feels good.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Isn't that a major violation of professional ethics and presumably the code of conduct? 3 weeks seems kind of light, especially since the patient was still alive at one point while they were doing it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Was he still alive? Local news made it sound like he was dead and they had unzipped the body bag to admire his majesty.

quote:

“Multiple staff members viewed the victim while he was incapacitated, including after he was deceased,” a Denver Police report says. “The complainant, Risk Management for Denver Health, made a mandatory report.”

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Did you all not know that, or are you marveling at the fact that he didn't? It's pretty damned useful if you use a lot of rental cars, but yeah, it's not too widely known.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have to go to Oman for work in a couple of weeks. Still waiting to hear back from the customer, but I'm pretty sure I'll be in Muscat. Anyone been there before that can recommend some stuff to see/do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm going with my scottish coworker, so I think we'll be able to expensive most of the booze. Hiring a tour guide might not be a bad way to go; I'm thinking about spending an extra day or two there on either end to make the 20 hours of travel time worth it.

• Locked thread