Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Agree, slow cookers are well insulated and have an internal heating element so you're not wasting energy out the coils/burner if that's how your stove works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TBeats posted:

I'm just doing hard syncs now. I ditched Apple Music in favor of Spotify.

My options were:

1) not be able to sync songs I manually put in my iTunes library (and when you make music for people this isn't an option)

Or

2) turn off iCloud music library, which eliminates the ability to download any music from Apple Music, forcing me to use data if I want to listen to anything other than the songs I manually put on my phone through a hard sync. I pay $4.99/mo for music. I don't need that artificially inflated because of data usage.

Or

3) ditch iTunes and get Spotify. Which is a small inconvenience because I enjoyed having everything consolidated into a single app.

As an "ecosystem" all the Apple offerings are garbage. You get a lot more usability out of Spotify and Dropbox and Apple can't even claim to have better user interfaces because those also suck dick.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

Crossposting from AI

Almost got killed on the highway the other day by a giant bro truck doing 90 mph when the rest of the traffic was going 60. He passed me on the right and then cut me off after nearly rear-ending the truck in front of him

Guy was going so fast he rocked my car. 2 days later it still gives me chills thinking about how that loving retard nearly killed my girlfriend and me

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 10, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HANCHORPE

LOCTOPUSVE

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can never get my cast iron steaks to come out right

Maybe I just need to do it more

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hello dad chat, long time listener, first time caller (I do have a Weber tho):

I am entering first house considerations/discussions. I've been living in apartments for 15 years, because I am a lovely transient person. Please educate me on VA Certificate of Eligibility obtaining and utilization and ways to make my life less lovely other than what I have read so far on the internet.

Just went under contract on a house with the VA loan -

Getting the certificate of eligibility is not a problem. I'm still active so I had to get a letter signed by my commander (delegated to his staff), but all former members need to give the lender is a copy of their DD Form 215. Once you find a house and put an offer in your lender will handle the rest.

Be prepared for a bunch of out-of-pocket expenses. Although they won't require a down payment, you'll still have to cover expenses and fees that can run over $5k. You'll also want a lender that's used to working VA loans so they don't screw you by forgetting to schedule the appraisal visit or something

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had a sewer scope done on a house I put an offer on as part of the inspection and it revealed a 1" horizontal offset at one of the pipe joints in the main sewer line and a couple areas of root growth. Since it was just a private inspection the guy wouldn't give me a quote to fix it or even a good estimate of the severity, but so far what I'm getting back from actual plumbers is that they want to run their own scope before giving me any kind of consultation. How the hell do I deal with this when the deadline for inspection negotiations is 2 days from now? Lean on the seller to figure it out and hope they don't say no?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does the house have a cement foundation? If they have to bust that up to fix/move pipes you're looking at a few grand just for dealing with the foundation not even counting the actual repairs needed or the costs of trenching up the yard.

Remember one of the most iconic :grovertoot: images involved a sewer repair.

It'd either be out in the yard or (worst case) under the street in front, since the offset is located at 107 ft along the run. I have no clue if this is a serious potential problem or if the inspector is just being cautious. Here's what he said: "Offset noted in main sewer line at a joint in the pipe at 107 feet. The offset appears to be over 1 inch. This can allow solids or debris to collect in the pipe causing blockage. This can also allow water to seep into the soil causing further settlement."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

i just dont want to pay extra for something i dont need. an xbox does all the stuff that a smart tv does.

Smart features are standard now, not extra.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

Isn't that the city's responsibility once it's left the property?

Apparently you can have private sewer line going under the city street. The city is only on the hook for the city line.

I do have a YouTube video of the sewer scope that I linked to in my quote requests. I'd hoped that the plumbers would look at it to give me a quote instead of just telling me to pay for another scope to show them the same poo poo.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Turn off smart TV poo poo asap. The ad industry has software that will actively listen to your conversations. We use keywords to trigger ads and track what you're watching and for how long.

This all exists on your phone too but good luck disabling that.

I don't give a single poo poo about this stuff. Reddit would hate me lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Here's what I'm talking about FYI:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Realtor recommended I get a sewer scope and yeah it's probably gonna be worth the $125 extra I spent on top of the home inspection.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty with home ownership but as a first time buyer I was thinking more along the lines of recalking the window seals and not digging a trench in the street and paying the city to divert traffic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

If at all possible get the seller to fix this or pay to get it fixed.

Oh yeah I totally intend to walk if they don't address the sewer thing. No way I'm loving with that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Making some Panang curry in the Instant Pot tonight. Best Christmas present ever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shim Signal: How's Pikes Peak in the winter? I've got a guest coming in and I want to see if we can drive up it this weekend. How do you turn around if they close sections of the road?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

joat mon posted:

They try to keep it open, and will tell you if it's not. Call (719) 385-7325.
As for turning around, it depends on your vehicle. For automatics, usually second position for the shifter. For manuals, usually forward and left or rearward and right, but always demarcated with the letter 'R'

Yeah that was a dumb thing to ask, I had it in my mind that it was a single lane death road or something haha.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I've been subbing in flavored seltzer water for soda.

Like the Kroger brand version of LaCroix since I guess even diet soda is bad for you.

All the dumb controversies over artificial sweeteners are made up. The only meaningfully bad part of diet soda is how the acidity can damage your teeth.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 19, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ded posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXDBFpOHBE4

Too bad the singer died a few years back.

rip peter steele

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don't loving talk to me at the gym.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm dying

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm almost a homeowner and man it feels weird. I posted before about the sewer offset issue I found - the initial estimate for the repair was $1800, but when the contractor went back to see exactly where the issue was and saw that it was under the sidewalk they increased it to $5000. The seller's covering everything before closing and I absolutely would've walked if they hadn't agreed to that.

Get the sewer scope. $125 up front can save you a lot of money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TBeats posted:

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be the guy who rained on the parade.

If there's $5000 of work that needs to be done to fix something like that, I can only imagine what other Grover-like work has been done to it in the past.

It's a sewer line. It was installed when the house was built and done in a perfectly acceptable fashion. The only time anybody even thinks to touch one is when it breaks.

The inspector I got took 4 hours to look over the house, entertained all my questions, and helped me out a ton over the phone when I was working on getting estimates for the repair work. He even offered to talk to the contractors for me to tell them what he saw when looking at the home. Good dude.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 26, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I usually just wait for the driver to come by and unlock the vehicle before I make any moves

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haha that's so weird twitter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MurderBot posted:

Maybe it's because I'm secretly anti American but I really didn't enjoy hacksaw ridge. Like 2.5 erect penises out of 5 in my opinion.

It was formulaic and shallow as poo poo. Watch Major Payne instead imo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

I feel like I'm the only member of my peer group that's extremely happy getting tiny tax refunds.

Everyone I know is expecting hundreds of bucks/$1000+ and I'm over here with a $33 return thinking they're all idiots for paying way too goddamn much in income tax. Fix your fuckin' withholdings for fucks sake

Edit: also I do my taxes immediately after I get the last required form rather than put that poo poo off forever

They're not going to fix their withholdings because the people who do this treat tax overpayment as a vacation fund that surprises them every year when the government returns it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Do AirPods have noticeable latency? I couldn't stand the Bluetooth headphones I tried since the sound would lag behind games and videos by up to a full second.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Worth cross-posting this poor paralyzed dog

http://m.imgur.com/LP2ouxu?r

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wow even the dogs are hustling for handouts now, smh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So how does it work when you hire moving help but provide your own truck (uhaul rental) and packing? Anything I should watch out for when hiring a company, and what are they actually liable for if they break my poo poo? I've only ever had the military move my poo poo and they covered everything, but this time I'm just moving across town.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok yeah, I've already packed all the small things in boxes and arranged for the UHaul rental so hopefully it'll be an easy loading/unloading job. The last movers I had complained when I offered them pizza so I dunno maybe I'll get some loving cold cuts and a loaf of bread for these fuckers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've considered power line adapters but all the reviews say you only get like 10-30% of the performance that the manufacturer claims. A gigabit adapter might only get you 300 mbps even with perfect wiring.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think it's ok if the people I like aren't perfect humans

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gettin' heart palpies from stress with closing on the new house, mom visiting, girlfriend-dad visiting, work, etc.

Lord give me a vacation that's actually a straight up vacation without having to please anyone besides myself

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just started doing the safety razor thing with razor blades and it actually no poo poo works on my thick & curlies. I used to get a rash and bumps on my neck every time I shaved before I tried this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wood shouldn't bother it much, but pipes, ducts and big metal objects like fridges can. I used a wifi repeater for a while in my place and it was a decent solution - if you end up doing that make sure you get one with two antenna so you don't halve your bandwidth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hail satan

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

do you mean the vvitch?

i will never stop pronouncing the name of the movie "vuh vitch"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Talk is that Petraeus could replace him.

Cool, replace a traitor with a traitor. Good stuff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i have a nicolas cage pillow cover

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

How dad is it to spill a bottle of 500 CVS brand ibuprofen pills because I just did that.

it's pretty mom if you accompanied it with a bottle of wine

• Locked thread