Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010
RE: Dutch Ovens

If the choice is between a dutch oven and a slow cooker go for the dutch oven. IMO they are a lot more versatile, and honestly, how many times are you really going to take the effort at 7:00 AM to get a meal put together for that evening? I can tell you from personal experience that it won't happen on a workday. If you want a "slow cooker" meal, get yourself a decent pressure cooker, you can cook up a batch of chicken soup in 40 mins or so, chili in like 20 etc...
Plus you can actually cook down those tough rear end pork and beef cuts and they turn out pretty moist and tender!

My wife got a Rachel Ray brand enameled dutch oven like 10 years ago, and the thing is a work horse. Having said that, the enaml is starting to crack so I would guess that it maybe has 5 or so years left in it. I don't "love it" mostly because its an oval shape instead of round, but whatever, I still make some pretty bad rear end stuff in it.
Whenever I get around to replacing it, I will probably get a Lodge or Cuisinart 7 Qt one, but I will try to convince myself that I need a fancy Le Creuset one. Apparently they really are worth the money.

If you watch Williams Sonoma, sometimes they will clearance out the seasonal color Le Creuset dutch ovens, but you have to be pretty quick to grab them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm really regretting taking vacation last week. I've spent the last day and a half playing catchup :negative:

:agreed:

I'm on the road the whole week, and I'm so lost trying to figure out what I need to get done.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Anyone here use sling? Is it any good? Can my husband watch his BS network sitcoms (The Middle :barf:)? Is there DVR-like functionality?

We had satellite and dropped it due to them price gouging and cutting channels. We were paying 90 (??? I don't actually know????) and they kept cutting channels and adding them to premium packages, like we literally couldn't get any sports channels for under 115, so gently caress them, we cut the cable.
I
I don't have anything to say about sling, but we have PS VUE and it's pretty great.

All network programming is available and can be favorited for viewing later, plus some stuff is available on demand. We even get local CBS news, if that's something you care about.
I would look at both and compare them, I can't remember why we went with VUE over Sling, but I'm sure there was a reason.

Also if husbear watches his shows when the broadcast just get an antenna. We have one antenna and besides regular network TV, we also get CREATE, which has all the PBS cooking and crafting shows, plus a sitcom channel that pretty much just plays Sanford and Son, and Good Times. And there is another channel that plays really bad westerns and it's pretty great too.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

So sorry.

Anyone in the construction/house contractor business?

*INSERT GROVERHAUS JOKE HERE*

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I like my regular wrist watches too much to ever get a fitbit or Apple watch.
I've used some combination of the SS app, MFP, and Fitocracy for keepign track of exercise stuff and they are all fine.

I've got nothing against those things, I just like having this dumb thing on my wrist instead.

https://www.tradesy.com/accessories/tissot-prc-200-chronograph-blue-dial-stainless-steel-men-s-watch-11928235/

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I feel bad for the person that has to dig through my viewing history, I have to be one of the most boring people on earth to track.

Websites I view:
SA
Reddit front page, don't really gently caress with any subreddits besides r/fishing
Twitch
Amazon
YouTube for fly tying videos

Although that would explain why the internet wants me to buy LL Bean waders so badly....:ohdear:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hey is a sports coat or blazer appropriate with slacks when an invitation requires "business formal" or am I pretty much just going to have to get my suit tailored?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Was looking at entry level drills and stumbled upon this one and, uh, ordered it

BLACK+DECKER BDCDMT120C Matrix drill

There's a ton of rad attachments for it I'm researching a bit. Definitely gonna get the saw, maybe sander? and impact

Do I really need an impact gun attachment?

If you aren't sue if you need it, then you probably don't. Impact drivers are nice for automotive stuff, but if you need one you would be better served by a cheap air driven one from Harbor Freight.

It's your money, but I personally would cancel and consider getting a more traditional drill. Like for $150 or so, you can get a Milwaukee combo pack and you will be more happy with the quality of those tools than that Black and Decker one.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I'd mail you a jar of piss but we all know how that will turn out.

:bustem:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Hey Dad chatters, I'm looking for suggestions for simple and healthy lunch options for the work week.

Do you have access to a microwave?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm a big fan of making a pot of soup and taking that for lunch. Or go crazy and make a couple different types, and freeze individual portions, and thaw as needed. I'm partial to split pea and tomato bisque.

If you hate your coworkers bring sardine and onion sandwiches and "forget" them in the fridge for weeks at a time.

I don't have regular access to a microwave, so I bring lots of sandwiches and stuff that goes well in a thermos, like pasta and teriyaki chicken.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Spent the last couple hours cleaning out my inbox. Had like 15k unread emails and 20k read.

Currently sitting at 0 unread and 3.2k read emails, feels like progress!!!!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Hey, check this poo poo out.

http://veteranstofarmers.org/

Dudes are legit, I've met with them, and was going to do their program, but I couldn't make it work with my work schedule, and as much fun as being a hydro hippie would be, I unfortunately can't take the pay cut to learn this stuff.

They are for real legit, and the guy who runs the program is pretty cool, and probably isn't embezzling tons of money and blowing it on strippers, which now that I think about it may not actually be a good thing....

Fake edit: you can go check out their CSA farm at Denver Botanic Gardens Chatfield center. As a bonus, next to their plot of land are a bunch of old tractors that some grandpa looking dudes mess with on the weekends.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I would like to add, that last time I talked to them (about a year ago) they were working on securing funding for housing grants so they could bring dudes in from out of state and put them up somewhere, not sure how far they got with that though, but they do have more program sponsors than they did last year.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Yeah. I'd heard tell of the snow accumulations in the Springs aren't that impressive, generally. Obviously it's worse up in Woodland Park and Cripple Creek, but the most I've seen at once this winter is three inches.

Then again, I also hear that March/April are the worse snow months for the Springs up to Wyoming, so who the gently caress knows?

Yeah, snow should start picking up towards the end of the month. Nov-Dec were a little drier than normal, but late winter/spring snow typically makes up for it. Honestly, what we get doesn't matter as much as what hits the mountains, which have had tons of snow so far.
I could do without another ice storm though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My big beef with the weather is that it makes it loving impossible to plan a garden. Like, I should be starting stuff like cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower in the next few weeks to transplant at the end of March, and it's always a gamble if you are gonna be able to get out and cover the poo poo in time for the snow or hail. I think last year we didn't get any snow after the first week of May, but the year before we had snow right into the first week of June.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Buca di Bepis posted:

So how does it work when you hire moving help but provide your own truck (uhaul rental) and packing? Anything I should watch out for when hiring a company, and what are they actually liable for if they break my poo poo? I've only ever had the military move my poo poo and they covered everything, but this time I'm just moving across town.

Based on personal experience I would pack everything in boxes yourself and then hire them to load the truck and unload.

I did that when we bought our house because my wife was pregnant at the time. Dudes did a good job, but i would be money on them not being bonded or insured.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
One of my customers breeds pigmy yaks, little fuckers are adorable.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I grow a no bullshit Afro if I just grow my hair out. My retiree ID card has a very stoned very Afro'd Shim pic on it.

Please confirm that you look vaguely like Jeff Lynne. That's the image I've had at least.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Been losing my hair since I was like 20, and I've been finding grey hairs EVERYWHERE for the last year or so.

If they every invent a cure for male pattern baldness I am going to have the most amazing pony tail...

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Jesus Christ what are you guys driving that you need more that regular oil changes? I've got two honda's that are more than 10 years old and all I've needed is scheduled maintenance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

it weirds me out don't make me melt down tonight i just want to play nightcrawlers

What's nightcrawlers?
Also, there is a greater than 0 chance I end up living in Idaho at some point in the next 2 years. You are in the general vicinity of Spokane???
Don't worry, as a general rule I try not to meet up with other internet weirdos IRL.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Coeur D'alene.

It's ok me neither it's just weird but whatever I'm not against it just a huge flake and I hate myself

I would probably meet up with dudes that post on here, but in apprehensive as I had an awkward experience helping a goony goon neckbeard try to find work in my field.

I have thought about trying to put together an game group or a poker game or something but I don't know...

I mean I shouldn't be too picky, I have pretty much no IRL friends that I can hang out with on the regs, and life gets pretty depressing when you have no adult interaction outside of coworkers and your spouse.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

at the date posted:

Large sections of I-35 between Austin and Dallas are definitely 85.

I could have sworn Montana had some 90 mph roads the last time I was out there.

There are parts of Montana that are basically "speed limit optional" during clear daylight hours.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The real question:
When's the next season of Silicon Valley start?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I pity the foo who doesn't like chicken, bacon, ranch anything. Pizza. Pasta salad. Sandwiches. Regular salad. Casseroles.

And there's something I generally don't care for about pizza hut that I can't directly put my finger on, but it's the only pizza that gives me heartburn. Papa Johns has a bland tasting dough that ruins anything you top it with by spreading the overwhelming blandness over every bite. And the owner is a huge douche from Kentucky.

For what it's worth, I usually order from a smaller chain called Blackjack Pizza. Pizza and a salad and I'm set for two days.

Blackjack is so good.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

It really is.

I'd kill for some mellow mushroom but I don't think there's one within 100 miles of a stones throw of me, so that will have to wait until I travel east again.

Not super close to you, but there is a Mellow Mushroom in LoneTree and another one in Denver on the 16th st mall.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Thanks for the heads up. I might have to place a carry out order next time I go to Denver.

I never actually paid attention to where Lone Tree is. Isn't it that vast emptyness that's south of Denver but north of Castle Rock? I would only know it from driving by on I-25.

Kind of, its where the big mall is.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

SquirrelyPSU posted:

After many years of fighting this fight, I think I agree. They both shouldn't be called pizza, and I think the flimsy foldable crust should carry the title. Just call it deep dish, drop the "pizza" and be done with it.

MAGA

Also, if you are on the east coast and don't want to deal with bread and water nonsense you should probably go to the store today (e: I forgot its 6AM) to stock for Tuesday. Basically the same alignment for the 30" storm from last year, just depends on how far west the L tracks off the coast. (Applicable to Roanoke, Winchester, Hagerstown, Philly, NYC, Connecticut, RI, Boston, Maine).

So the one thing that bugs me about Denver is that everyone judges the gap between the lower fringe of Denver Suburbia and Castle Rock like its this huge loving thing and took maybe 15 minutes to drive?

Boulder to Colorado Springs might as well be one big metroplex, you can get from one place to the other* in like an hour and a half.

*I get that Denver rush hour sucks dick.

In non rush hour traffic I can drive from the capital to my house in Castle Rock in like 25 minutes.
The same drive in rush hour takes almost two hours.

Also the void south of Denver is pretty loving terrible and I wouldn't recommend that anybody live in it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Goddamn that Guzzi is a beauty of a bike.

If I had money I would love to get an old Italian or British bike, but :homebrew:

I had a late 70's Yamaha for a few years. I loved that stupid bike to death.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Honestly if I were in the market for a daily round town bike, I'm pretty sure I would get an Aprillia Mana. No good reason, except they are fairly comfortable, they don't really do anything another bike can't do better, but I like them.
I like the theory of a Ducati, but I don't know if I would like owning one.
I would like a Kawasaki dual sport, but my secret most lusted for bike is a Yamaha TW200

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ded posted:

Haven't looked into it yet. It's way out of warranty. Guess I should check.

They sell parts for pretty reasonable prices, and they will send you instructions to repair it yourself.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Man I wish I had a clue what the gently caress you guys are going on about.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
RE: Corned Beef Tacos.

Any SD goon owes it to themselves to at least go to Hooleys and try them. They are pretty good!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

So this is Sheetz. Not sure what I was expecting.

WaWa is overrated too, having said that, some of the salads are good, and the Tastykake selection is astonishing.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

TBeats posted:

WaWa and Sheetz are gas stations and when you call them "overrated" I question if you realize that they are gas stations.

People act like WaWa and Sheetz are the greatest culinary experiences on earth. I think calling them overrated is acceptable, even if they are just gas stations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

they're opening a golden corral in ct

http://openingdates.com/golden-corral-milford/

i can finally see the horror for myself

Good place to go if you want food poisoning, or you have to consume 4000 calories RIGHT NOW.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The smaller subreddits can be ok. I post in regional gardening and jerkoff group fishing subreddits and they can be pretty good, but the rest of the site is just for looking and there is 0 sense of community, which may or may not be a feature, now that I think about it....

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hey dudes,

I'm stuck in Frederick MD all weekend with no responsibilities and a rental car, what should I do?

thinking about heading to Philly for the day? Worth it to do tourist poo poo there or no?
Been in DC and all over VA thanks to the navy, but never made it north of Baltimore, so I'm trying to fix that this weekend, anything in W. VA worth seeing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I like the AV swap.

• Locked thread