Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Frank asking politely for a treat at the dog park.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He's great. Not entirely border collie, there's something in there giving him a few extra inches of height/length and that makes him comfortable at 75 pounds, but I wouldn't trade him for a home on Mars.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Apparently people set off fireworks on top of pike's peak.

Guess I'll walk Frank around midnight.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Pesticide20 posted:

It likes to brag about its property

Lol

It's flavored vodka, just mix it. Not like it's made from Russia's finest potato.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nice catch. I've never gotten to do any sea fishing, aside from a terrible afternoon in Qatar.

That said, have you considered only taking wire, bait and hooks when you go fishing? You've already got two perfectly good poles you walk around on all day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Chubby chicks are alright. It's when they weigh more than me and carry it poorly, or are just flat out knocking on Wilford Brimley's door, that I shut out the fats.

Speaking of the Brimley, he's 85 and still alive. Mark that old Northern Exposure fart down as my death pool bid.

I see Nashville is being Nashville with its christmas parade today. Because the local NBC affiliate is showing that instead of football. Goddamn you Nashville, already aiming to gently caress up my year.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lake of Methane posted:

Some kids on my street were doing the same today, was reminded of this and smiled.

I forgot entirely that I posted that. Brought a smile to my face too.

Haven't experienced howler monkey christmas in Colorado yet. Maybe I just don't live in lovely enough of a neighborhood.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't either. But kids will be kids or whatever. Why a pack of them would be walking around hooting and howling is baffling to me, but I grew up in the 80s so who the gently caress knows.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Remember that 2012 models began production half way through 2011. Even if your roommate's truck was built at the rear end end of the model year, that's still 4.5 years of life. My Kia battery is 5 years old and still cranks fine unless it's below zero.

Vehicle quality has largely gone up. Just because it's not as heavy or boxy or whatever doesn't mean manufacturers make poorer quality cars. Well, except Chrysler products, but if you're buying a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram and probably Fiat, you're already ignoring good advice from at least one car person you might know.

What's changed is that people are less willing to buy a battery with a 48 month replacement warranty because they cost more than the 24 month warrantied chinese battery from Walmart. Just don't buy lovely batteries.

It's like buying an alternator from a dealer parts department compared to one from autozone. It's going to do the same job, but the autozone one was rebuilt to solely make it one day past its warranty, and the dealer OEM part is new.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jesus gently caress, I smoke a stupid amount of weed and even I don't get time dilation that badly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

Yeah man. My most recent flare up in my back is finally starting to subside after about two months of isolation exercises and stretching, which is good because I'm only 27 and have had to move around like I'm 57.

Have you had to crip walk with a cane yet? I spent about a year total dragging a stick around. In my 20s. Five or so months after I ets'd and my back absolutely had it, another six months around 5 years ago when I was in community college.

It loving sucks having to walk with a stick, but at least you always have something to hit people with.

Last time my back went badly was about a year ago and holy gently caress I didn't do poo poo for two months but stretch and lay on the floor for hours at a time. Thankfully Fallout 4 helped with the boredom.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Still smoke a pack a day. Still drink soda daily. Still order a pizza once a week, but it lasts three days now instead of an evening because I get a big drat salad with it that's two meals alone.

I just don't stuff my rear end full of double cheeseburgers while sitting in the recliner all day. Work keeps me walking and Frank dragging me around helps me stay around 200 pounds. Might be fat for some of you skinny guys, but it's better than the 300 pounds I wieghed when I got married, and still above the 180ish I dropped to during the divorce. A nice jiggly medium.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm gonna have to say the slow cooker. You can spend a bunch of money on either of them, or buy either cheap, but better slow cookers are insulated and don't disperse heat like a dutchie would.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hey guys been eating real clean but just can't seem to lose weight, drat genetics

I only have four beers a night, binge half a bottle on the weekends, and have three sodas throughout the day, what gives? Any ideas?

Switch to light beer and diet soda?

I'm sick of this Panera sponsored clean food bullshit. Do you roll your food in dirt and poo poo and cat litter? No? Do you not wash your spinach or eat moldy food? I get it, no preservatives or dyes is the angle they're playing. But carbs are carbs, sugars are sugars, and flour is flour no matter what the gluten bitches say. If you're really fretting over poo poo like that and aren't diabetic or have an allergy, you're overthinking it.

Just don't eat a bag of cheetos for every meal and watch calories if you want to make a spreadsheet about it. Eat more salads and maybe start finding a passive way to exercise at work, like one of those spin bikes behind a standing desk.

I really don't have a lot of room to talk on the diet front besides simply smart about it and maybe don't go to the grocery store stoned (a task of monumental difficulty). I walk anywhere between 5-10 miles a day in a warehouse and then pick up a couple more miles with Frank. Doesn't really give me a free for all on my diet, but I can still eat like garbage once in a while without worry of bloating back up. Not that I really do anymore. No one told me there's no White Castles in Colorado. :(

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They use so much sugar in pasta sauce because it cuts the acidity and stabilizes it.

Just make fresh sauce, lots of easy recipes out there.

Or just switch to making chicken bacon ranch pasta salad. Mmmm. Ranch.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I never get VA emails. And it's not like they don't have my email address, I check and change contact info with them at every appointment now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd ask why you don't change your address with the VA to get your notices, but they sent all my appointment and other important poo poo to my old house in Memphis until last month.

Come on VA. Synchronize your loving personal information system so the Russians will have accurate addresses when they inevitably take over after Donnie gags out on Putin's cock.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

holocaust bloopers posted:

Have any of you had any luck submitting a VA disability claim for other injuries/ailments after the initial round of claims?

Yep.

Just go to the C&P office in your VA hospital (or sit on hold all day) and tell them you'd like an evaluation regarding whatever. It's going to be a few months before they give you an appointment and probably won't mail the appointment slip until the day before you're supposed to be there. Usually they do saturday appointments because????

Took about 6 months to get my rating increased on my back and they added my leg because of nerve damage.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ok I sent out an email to DAV

Oh yeah, definitely use DAV as your representative or whatever. I used VFW when I got out and DAV for my reassessment. Either is fine. I've been out of the loop long enough to forget that very important step.

I should have called a DAV rep when I found out I was getting reviewed by QTC this past month, but I'm a forgetful dumbass. If my ratings drops, DAV will be the first people I call.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hit and run? Dui? How'd you make the papers?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You have to live so far away or not be able to get an appointment within 30 or so days. You should get a "choice card" in the mail if you haven't already. Call the number on it if you qualify by distance or appointment scheduling problems. If you don't, well, enjoy using your work insurance or paying out of pocket.

The choice card was a feel good bullshit rollout. For most vets, it's absolutely useless. If you're hell bent on saving money so badly, just prepare yourself for health care on par with a troop clinic, because you're in the South. And because it's the VA. Also know that the Georgia VAs, as well as most of the south VAs, weren't following cleaning procedures on some of their equipment and passed around some HIV and Hepatitis C. Proctology and dental departments both guilty. Lots of lovely ER horror stories, plenty of people die in those waiting rooms.

Last time I went to a VA ER, it was in Memphis and the news was running a piece (on repeat, every 30 minutes) about 3 veterans dying in the ER waiting room while in queue to see one of maybe two doctors, if any at all. I sat there for six hours, no one moved, no doctors to be seen. I left and got a bottle of whiskey to help the back pain.

It doesn't get much better elsewhere. I'm in Colorado Springs, a bigger city than Atlanta, and we only have a clinic. There are four major installations surrounding us, and our "hospital" closes at 6:30pm. No emergency facilities. Closest VA ER is in Denver, and they're in a giant clusterfuck about running 300% over budget or something on the new hospital they're building. It's retarded.

On the plus side, having VA health care only still keeps the "no insurance" tax at bay. So yeah, there's that.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 4, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pretty much yeah. Odd numbered interstates run north-south. Even run east-west. Lowest numbered interstates would be farthest west and south.

Non-interstate US highways tend to follow the odd/even structure, but not the east-west, north-south gradients.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
4:30am, 5am, 5:30am, 6am, 6:30am, monday thru friday. First three to wake me up, last two are to remind me to take pills and when it's time to walk Frank.

Can't wait for daylights savings to die.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 5, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Elliptical machines are good too. Craigslist is def the place to get one for reasonable money, but if anything needs replacing, it can get costly quick.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My 10 year old Sony tv blew the projection lamp today. Went and got a 32" to replace the 37" Sony. Didn't realize how light tvs have gotten. My brother's 32" is heavier than the Sony, but this cheap tiny thing weighed less than 10 pounds in the box.

Going to fix the Sony because I love that tv. Lamps are $70~ and it's stupid easy to change. Just didn't want to wait until monday at the earliest before shows up in the mail.

McNally posted:

It's nothing like the M4 I carried in Iraq, though, because I didn't carry an M4 in Iraq.

Same. I drug a SAW around and it beat my back and legs to death.

Doesn't S&W still make good quality guns? I'm always tempted to drop money on one of theirs as opposed to paying the same for a bubba built gun.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The armorer in my unit would do poo poo like that. He was assigned an A2 and was constantly trying to lighten. When an officer or senior nco would take leave, he'd check out and carry their pistol and leave the A2 in the former cell we called an arms room.

He was nice enough to clean the pistols before reissuing them back to whoever. No one gave a poo poo because he was also supply and no one wanted to be cut from his class 9 gift list.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whelp my back is dead

Sucks, man.

Enjoy the next few days laying on the floor. Easy on the intake, nothing is worse than taking a brutal taco-fuelled poo poo after your back goes out, especially when it's the lumbar range.

Knees up, feet flat, ice, naprosyn. Hope there's a show you've been putting off binging, because that's all you'll be doing for a day or three or seven.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dead Reckoning posted:

They do, but there is absolutely zero reason to buy a new one. The world is swimming in used Model 10s (they've made about 6,000,000 so far) and it's easy to pick one up in good mechanical shape for sub $400.

Oh, I have a revolver already.

I was talking about the M&P15, which is why I mentioned Bubba Built guns. I've seen the M&P15 running from $550-700 for their bottom end example. I don't want all the extra bullshit attachments they charge extra for with higher end S&Ws.

I just figured, solid history, solid guns, surely their ar clone is just as solid and reliable. Better than buying a pawn shop example with a mix of branded parts.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That is a nice looking wheelgun.

I have a Rossi .357mag 4", and it hasn't given me any trouble aside from the rear sight flying off, but that's been over-fixed with a drill/tap larger screw and stupid strong adhesive. Shoots fine and straight otherwise, so it wasn't a terrible choice for $300 a few years ago. If I ever stumble into a pile of money, I might upgrade from that.

I'm not a big modifier of guns. The reason I'd go with a S&W AR is because it's pretty much what I want anyhow. I don't care about fancy rear end foregrips or stocks, as long as the trigger pull is reasonable and I can slap a small optic on it when I want, it's fine by me. I'd probably get one of those detachable carry handle rear sights because the bottom end S&W doesn't come with one.

I suppose I should have said something like, compared to other entry level ARs around the $600 price point, like dpms, windham, etc, how does the S&W stack up?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's pretty much all I'm looking for is a good entry level gun with a reputable company stamped on it. I don't shoot enough to justify spending more than that, someday maybe. Though I don't keep my ear to the ground on the matter and maybe the windhams or dpms's are better somehow. I kinda figure they're all about the same.

Not knocking the gear queer line out there, it just doesn't appeal to me to strap lasers and lights or scopes that outrange the rifle itself or whatever else in fancy camo paint to something that doesn't need it. I might find myself fiddling with a trigger kit, but nothing flashy or excessive (to me).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Rat posted:

I'd stay away from anything under the Cerberus umbrella, that mainly being Remington and Bushmaster. They cut QC a bunch. DPMS is terrible as well. My first contracting company issued those, and we had several new guns blow bolt lugs within the first few hundred rounds. Not sure regarding Windham. You probably won't go wrong with a S&W. (Again I haven't ever fired one, so take that FWIW.)

I figured Cerberus backed companies weren't worth a gently caress since they have a history of being absolute poo poo at owning/running any company they take over. I'm waiting for my brother's Remington 1911 to blow up on him someday, if he can ever afford to shoot it again.

It's not an immediate purchase on my list, but I'll likely buy one by year's end. Plenty of time to dig around. Even then, Colorado's 10 round limited magazines law has me also considering a bolt action. So I might wind up putting off an AR purchase until I'm absolutely nuts and sleeping in a mudhut west of the sangre de cristos. I'm just glad to know S&W hasn't gone to poo poo like some of their peers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well, sister in law isn't blood family, so don't feel too bad about it.

My exwife's family was full of people that made my family's behavior seem tame. Lots of DUIs, lots of getting caught spotlighting for deer, hunting without permits, hunting from the window of the house, the occasional bout of petty theft, and a few sex criminals (one a kid diddler).

Worst my family had compared was one meth junkie and a dumbass that falls for every mlm scam in the book, but being a sucker is no crime.

So yeah, it could always be worse.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Think his insurance will go through his twitter feed and deny his claim?

Because that's what I'd do.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When we circle back around to the 90s again.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's great that they're covering your transmission. Huge nuisance, but definitely nice. After my brother's Fusion engine grenaded itself (dealership shop double-gasketed the oil filter), he got them to cover a rental also, but that was tech/shop fault, kinda doubt they'll give you a loaner for a recall. Still, it's encouraging that they say they replace them often, just means they have the routine down.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're worried about it, get some of that silicone paint or liquid electrical tape (swear I stocked this poo poo once when I worked at home depot) and put a coat on the terminals.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Michigan is terrible and a no-fault state, correct? Which means even if an accident is your fault, your insurance pays for your car.

I mean, Michigan sucks for a lot of reasons, the no-fault insurance poo poo is just a bonus.

E: it's basically liability that won't pay for vehicle damages unless it meets specifc circumstances.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 11, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So the people whose dog bit me three weeks and change back have their insurance company calling me to get my end of the story. I'm pretty well healed from it, no infections and only a few small scars. Never got medical treatment, so no hospital bills to pay. Worst possibility now is rabies, because it takes so long to show up, but I'm thinking it won't be an issue.

I had almost let go of the idea entirely that I would hear back. I had limited contact info, didn't have the dog license number or even name. I figured if I got an infection, I'd be getting a lawyer and we'd be having a good ol' time at the courthouse. Now that their insurance is calling me, I'm half-tempted to still get a lawyer and let him have fun with them. I really don't give a poo poo about a settlement. My hand was hosed up for about a week before it was fully useful again, after the swelling and bleeding (that didn't clot for four days of seeping). I probably should have had stitches, but gently caress it.

I'm basically going to wait and see if they offer anything (doubt it), but if they do, I'll refill my first aid kit and sign the rest over to a shelter or the humane society or something. If not, and it gets accusatory, I'll lawyer up and let him have fun.

Stupid loving irresponsible pet owners.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This is injury law, I don't need to afford one, they'd take a chunk of the settlement after the fact.

E: I've been reading the dog bite statutes and penalties. Since my injuries were minor and the medical treatment I sought was useless (loving VA), I couldn't press for anything besides what a doctor would assess as compensatory for scars and any finger mobility issues. But, that minor bite opens the door to punitive damages, which I wouldn't mind seeing a shelter get after the lawyer sponges out his fees.

And I really, really want to see those loving morons pay through the nose, or in this case, their insurance. As long as they were ticketed and fined by the county/city.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Only thing I'll probably inherit is debt. I'm really scared as to how messy it's going to get when the time comes to address finances It's amazing how greedy some family members get and how their true colors really show when money is involved. Someone ALWAYS feels they deserve more. I swear every family issue ever stems from money. I've seen it all throughout mine

Working in healthcare it's really sad to see just how far along people string their parents or grandparents along. Christ, let them go with some dignity at least.

You shouldn't inherit debt, that dies with them and the lenders have until the estate is settled to collect, after that, they can get hosed, unless you inherit a house under mortgage and don't want to sell, but inheritance can't be paid out until the estate is settled anyhow.

Nursing home insurance is a thing and something you might look into if you're really worried, otherwise it gets expensive fast.

I don't like the money fights my family gets into either, and my grandmother is still kicking it dementia style, probably will for a few more years (her mother lived deep into her 90s with alzheimers for 10-15 years of it). When she kicks, the real fight will start over the remaining land and money and I want no part of their bullshit. It will get ugly because the will isn't split evenly since two of the kids burnt piles of money on bad decisions and mlm scams, and those two are the likeliest to get pissy over it.

I'll miss my grandmother when she goes, but her mind went years ago and I've made my peace with that. When my dad kicks it, he gets the cheapest trip to a furnace and bag in a cardboard box. My mom has money aside already. Once their gone, I can leave the east side of the Mississippi river to the wolves and go gently caress off on the west coast.

• Locked thread