Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hey my dudes, if you're ever in NZ during the summer and don't have enough time to road tour down, you could do worse than to wait a day and then fly from Auckland to Queenstown when you're fresh. Book a window seat that will face east for the trip. The flight is less than two hours long and is v. cool.

First you fly over my house

Then down the coast of the North Island, making landfall over New Plymouth then tastefully flying over the sea so you don't have to see Wellington.

You hit the South Island near Farewell spit and cruise down 2/3rds of the length of the west coast.

Then you cut inland and start descending into the mountains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQYKLW__yc

Approaching the Airport, you fly over the crown range, do a 180°, and descend into the valley, follow it round a couple of bends before landing. There's a place on the crown range road where you can park your car and look down toward the valley floor at the jets flying below you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KsIzPMqRsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElrVZQXqD00

I love this flight, it's not a chore like so many others are, and it costs like $90 USD.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea, it was a couple. They had a pages-long thread. Baffling.

Blue Story thread in E/N. They were incapable of even the most basic poo poo. The thread that inspired me to roast a whole chicken for the first time in my life just so I could be less like them. Unfortunatly by the end she was pregnant when they were pretty much incapable of cooking anything more complex than a sandwich (She was literally living on deli store sandwiches)

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Buca di Bepis posted:

I had a sewer scope done on a house I put an offer on as part of the inspection and it revealed a 1" horizontal offset at one of the pipe joints in the main sewer line and a couple areas of root growth. Since it was just a private inspection the guy wouldn't give me a quote to fix it or even a good estimate of the severity, but so far what I'm getting back from actual plumbers is that they want to run their own scope before giving me any kind of consultation. How the hell do I deal with this when the deadline for inspection negotiations is 2 days from now? Lean on the seller to figure it out and hope they don't say no?

See if you can get the inspection guy to put the inspection video on a dvd and give that to the plumbers.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

If someone makes an avatar of the guy goosestepping behind the CSM, I'll buy it for literally anyone on the forums.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811345

I love threads like this so much

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Reagan is from King Lear and before, you uncultured helmet fillers!

But you americans probably all named them after St Ronnie anyway

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Do Red Storm Rising next!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Coward Dr Cox in Platoon is one of my favourite movie characters ever.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to defend ACDC's song, it's holding up pretty well considering they've recorded it under different titles 9000 times.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

So... Them Japanese can sure pack an engine bay, huh?

:suicide:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

haha nah just my toyota corolla. Trying to replace the clutch on the weekend. I guess a real mechanic would grab a rattle gun and have all the bolts out in 30 seconds.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

orange juche posted:

I'm able to get at everything I need to under the hood of my MX5 :shrug:

As far as getting at the transmission? I'll bet thats a loving blast, since there's a chassis rail running down the centerline next to the driveshaft that i will bet interferes with something or another.

Yeah, there's a support member (now known at the 'loving member') running under the engine bay that sits on top of the subfame and then an engine mount on top of that which is the big sticking point. You can get a hand to most of the mount point bolts but there are several of them where you can't get enough room to break them out because of the manifolds, random struts etc.

The proliferation of cables, struts, rigid lines and rubber hoses is massive compared to the '84 mitsi mirage that I helped with years ago when we did the clutch on that car. In retrospect I should have parked up earlier and spent a few hours pulling off parts just to make the access easier.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Clutch Out!

Yeah, not enough meat on that to feed a starving ethiopian.

My brother put the new clutch on while I was at work. It's still at this stage and we probably won't get a chance to put the transmission back on until Sunday.

Probably not the worst engine bay to work on, but there's wires and poo poo everywhere.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Idk, hitting 6k rpm while trying to climb a gentle incline is a definite sound

haha yeah, it's been noticeably slipping for about 6 months. I could live with it but you don't want it to go when you're pulling across a heavily trafficked road or something. yes, 4A-FE engine.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 4, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tastefully arranged labia posted:

So what does your average Kiwi twentysomething look like?

Pasty white (red in summer) to light brown, tallish, range from dad bod to morbidly obese, crooked teeth, might be yellow from tea drinking. Might be ginger.

It varies through where you are and who is around, ofc, like on ANZAC day last month we were joking in one thread about the affluent suburb of Ponsonby, where everyone is sculpted into beauty or at least a special kind of ugly.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 4, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Rail thin ladies with pinched, squinty, wrinkled faces and teenager fashion is another good average person.

But for real, I was only young when I was in Canada and the US but I didn't notice all that much difference in how people look, local factors make a bigger difference than the national ones.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 4, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The day after I got out of basic training, I was in Taupo with my family going to hot pools and stuff. There was something weird about the place that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Then as I saw the michelin man waddling down the road in sweatpants and jandals, I relized that I hadn't seen any fat people for two and a half months bar the occasional warrant officer with a pot belly.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Bedded in the new clutch and brakes on the corolla last night, figured the speedo wasn't connected but nope, the joint on the cable's hosed. gently caress me and my brother, we're both redneck mechanic morons who should just leave this poo poo to the experts.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My grandfather got concussed in a motorcycle accident in the 1930s and was ever after prone to migraines. So of course, come the war, he got assigned to the 10th Heavy Artillery.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Even with the malware I'd rather have a Lenovo than an HP. Never again.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

CGC No Prayer For The Dying ah gently caress, it was like the first one nvm

CGC Ride The Lightning

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Incredible. I always intended to write a SAclopedia entry for that

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Jesus Fuckin Christ, I never saw this bit of it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

suboptimal posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

One of my favorite threads, from start to finish. Every twist and turn in this thing just takes things in a new direction, each more absurd than the last.

From this thread, dude was probably the least suitable hiker to ever attempt to cross the USA.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

In the skellington army, the dental corps is larger than logistics, finance and signals put together.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Lighter rucksacks, no one gives a drat about picking up brass and free meatsack removal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I only ever had to do that once, and it was for my pre-Army physical. Did it at a private doctor's office since it was for ROTC and the exam was done by this smoking hot cougar. Good day.

:same: only it was an Air Force doc. The chick who did my hearing test was also smokin'

• Locked thread