Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Probably gonna go to a bar to get out of the house. A week with family followed by a 3-day weekend...not gonna complain, but I need a change of scenery for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TIL the guy that wrote the Game of Thrones theme also did Westworld's. Of course he loving did, it's amazing. But he also did all the piano covers in the show. I'm gonna have to pay more attention, the only one I noticed was Black Hole Sun.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most car batteries last a year or two anymore.

Bullshit. Batteries are no less reliable than they have been for the past two decades. The problem is corrosion and a bad connection. There's enough juice, it's just not getting through. Scrape that poo poo off and make sure the terminals are tight on the posts.

Edit: Get a tool like this. Shove it on the post and twist until it's clean. Remove the cap and use the brush inside to clean the inside of the terminal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was the factory battery with a 3 year warranty. It outlasted it's purpose.

I'm saying that when you go to O'Reillys, autozone, napa, or any of those and grab a battery off the shelf it's going to last up to it's warranty and then typically not a whole lot longer. A lot of places don't even have battery core charges anymore and actually charge a disposal fee because they go through them enough.

This I completely agree with, but that's a far cry from 1-2 years like you originally said. My Vette is still running the cheapest battery OReilly's had in 2008 when the previous owner replaced it just before I bought it. I just replaced the OE battery in my Jeep after about 4.5 years, which is actually the shortest-lived battery I've ever owned.

Vasudus posted:

My back/groin injury this week has reminded me that I'm totally not in my 20s anymore. When I went to urgent care on Friday to get some serious anti-inflammatories and a muscle relaxer they offered me vicodin. Being a white male owns.

(I didn't take the script)

I'll take it.

Smiling Jack posted:

fuuuuuuuck

Don't get obese kids apparently it permanently fucks up your metabolism and makes it extremely hard to keep the pounds off

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

Yeah no poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

not caring here posted:

I always take heavy hitter painkiller scripts because you never know when you or someone you know gets a toothache from hell or throws out their back or something.

Joking aside, this. I get small kidney stones every few months, and there's roughly a day of serious pain that OTC stuff can't touch. Leftover percocets or norcos end up being a lifesaver, and keep me from just cashing my paychecks at the urgent care. I think I've only really mentioned the one big stone I had (the first one) that led to the surgery and threatening the idiot in flight med who tried to turn me away, but I've gone in for treatment for three stones (2011, 2015, and two months ago), and had 4 or 5 others that I just dealt with.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I quit soda *mostly*. I still have a 20oz coke once or twice a week with my lunch.

I switched to Spindrift and LaCroix instead. Much better for you since it's just water with a little bit of flavor.

I've given up trying to cold turkey my way out of soda. Aside from the crippling caffeine and sugar addiction, I just like it with certain foods. The new rule starting this week is 3 per week (a couple of months ago it was 2-3 per day most of the time). After a month of that, down to 2 per week. The real trick is going to be finding more stuff to cook that isn't going to induce cravings, and that I can make in small enough portions that I'm not eating it for more than 3 days in a row and getting thoroughly sick of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Watched what my parents went through when they quit smoking in the late 80s/early 90s, so I never picked that up. A couple of cigars a year, that's it.

I don't much like drinking alone either, so aside from a beer every few weeks, I don't drink much alcohol. Soda's my big weakness, no question. I've definitely been drinking less lately, and a lot more water (Mio and the others are great), though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Syrian Lannister posted:

I had one of the original keyboard based kindles, and ended up giving it to my parents.

I'm using an app for my tablet now.

I've still got my 3G Keyboard...probably ought to try to unload it since getting a paperwhite last year (which is loving wonderful).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

good thing you're charging your phone

I disagree.

McNally posted:

I got an Amazon Echo for Christmas, so every morning I'm going to wake up to Jeremy Clarkson screaming at me to wake up.

I think I posted this in the drunk thread but not here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5p0gqCIEa8

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 5, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:shrug: I thought it was funny.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TBeats posted:

Apple Music is stupid and having to sync my iTunes library with my phone via wifi with no other option is stupid.

Thanks for listening.

To anybody with an iphone, make sure you enable this before your OEM cable frays/gets lost. You have to be plugged in to do it. And most cables out there, including a lot of supposedly "certified" cables even by companies like Amazon, don't actually work for syncing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'd like to have a replica of my AF BMT-issued rubber ducky.

Here and here.

Edit: I do want an A1 clone, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's been an AR15 megathread in TFR for the past few years. There's probably some good info in there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wait where do you find a $300 cruise?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

repositioning cruises like say from doing alaska runs to doing panama canal or whatever

That would be cool.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I had about 6" of snow left from last week's storm. Yesterday we got so much rain that it's all gone. Along with access to an entire subdivision because somehow there's literally one road in/out, and it was under about 3' of water and wasn't clear-ish until late morning today.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Syrian Lannister posted:

Ford finally confirmed that both the Ranger and Bronco are coming back during the Detroit Autoshow

Ranger in 2019
Bronco in 2020

http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-auto-show/ford-confirms-bronco-and-ranger

efb

Everybody fell in love with the renders like that one, but they weren't even made by Ford. They're off some random dude's deviantart page or whatever other site "artists" use when they can't sell their poo poo.

LingcodKilla posted:

After 89 they had to keep the top permanently bolted on due to the third break light. For the life of me I cant figure why they just didnt stick a light on a pole so the top could come off legally.

Literally what Jeep did.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I have a feeling you're gonna be disappointed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He won't get a loaner for a recall, but if the transmission is being covered by warranty work he should. I got one when my Focus' fuel pump died at like 10k miles (this was in 2002).

Granted, it was a brand new Suzuki Aerio which remains the shittiest car I have ever driven.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I have a crack extending the full width, but I'm procrastinating until warmer weather or a rock shatters the entire thing into my lap.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Holy poo poo. Glad she's ok.

My mom's closing in on 60 and I figure in the next couple of years she'll be looking to move into a smaller, single-story home. The current split-level was great when there was a family of four plus pets, but now it's just her, a small shiba mix, a 20 year old cat, and gradually another cat with a hosed-up eye that was abandoned by neighbors when they moved a few months ago.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 11, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've got a couple of my nicer things hanging up (commission, DD214, a couple of farewell lithos). Everything else is in a tote or a box somewhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I actually use my aircrew aids at work. Mostly for eyeballing transit and loiter times and for the pages of contact info for a poo poo ton of squadrons across the country. And a bunch of my patches are on the wall over my desk.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

That's cool man. My 965th AACS flying scarf hangs on a doorknob in my room. I never got a 962nd AACS one.

And my leather jacket? No idea where that went.

Mine's in the closet. Comfy as gently caress, but even though I wouldn't be the only non-uniform to wear it, I just can't go that far. I'll stick my patches on the wall and go by my callsign, but can't do the jacket.

Edit: I wear my godawful Oakley gascans when we're working out on the ranges because they're reasonably good eyepro for dust, and I have no idea where my Wiley Xes went. I've got two spare sets of lenses, naturally.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 14, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Forgot about thermals...I occasionally wear them. I wear the hell out of my boot socks though. Fox River for life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TBeats posted:

YouTube found a way to gently caress with my ad blocker. Instead of it skipping the ad the video just won't play for 10-15 seconds.

Yeah, this has been going on for a while. loving irritating.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

WOAH. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry HollyBloops.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My pork chops aren't defrosted. :mad:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah this. Or knock the estimated amount off price.

gently caress no. Because the estimated price can skyrocket astronomically if there's additional damage or anything doesn't go according to plan.

This is my favorite baseball card. I've got one in an LA Gear shoebox somewhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

History.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

How many of you dads have given up drinking for at least 30 days? At the end of the 30 days, did you notice anything different? Did you loose and inch or two off your waist? Feel better? What about soda?

I've gone from vast amounts of soda to 2-3 per week. I'm down 7 lbs since 3 Jan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I've been subbing in flavored seltzer water for soda.

Like the Kroger brand version of LaCroix since I guess even diet soda is bad for you.

I've just gone straight to mostly water. I've got a supply of mio/crystal light/walmart's brand, based on whatever's in stock at my lovely local store. A good side effect is that there are certain foods I really like with soda...naturally they're mostly junk. Since I'm not drinking soda, I'm eating less garbage.

Edit: Catte that was abandoned by mom's neighbor when they moved a couple of months ago. :mad: Mom started feeding it in Nov I think, but as the weather has gotten colder he's become a bit more trusting.

Still not thrilled because there's already a catte and a dogge in the house.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 19, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Anyone who abandons a pet should have their loving teeth kicked in.

Take good care of that catte.

She is. He still wants to live outside, only comes in to warm up if he's feeling secure enough. Apparently he likes to watch tv while he's in. She has a little dog igloo thing that her dog has always been terrified of, so she put that next to the front door and puts some cat food inside. If the cat wants to hang in there to get out of the weather he can, but he seems to prefer to chill under the neighbor's camping trailer.

Concur on rear end in a top hat pet havers. :mad:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

not caring here posted:

New Logan trailer out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xeRfV04RNg

I'm probably gonna take the days of headaches and go see this in the cinema.

Holy loving gently caress.

Is it too early to call this my favorite movie of 2017?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's not his kid.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

It looked like a hyper agile, clawed, little girl wolverine. May as well be.

Why they decided that whatever secret lab injected Logan with the metal man skeleton should do it again but only to a girl with aspergers is dumb.

Not to get all nerd.txt because I never really got into comics as a kid, but he was one of several people they did similar experiments to. He's not even the only one to show up in the movies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

No no, get all nerd.bmp

We're pretty much at my limit for X-men lore. :shrug: I watched the hell out of the 90s cartoon, but only owned like 3 comic books in my entire childhood.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I have never heard of probably 80% of the bands you guys talk about.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

how do you feel about iron maiden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxcou2Hqer0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: What were you expecting from it?

• Locked thread