Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think I got sick from the doctors office. My nose is full of icky smelling snot and I'm running a low fever, so probably a sinus infection.

gently caress 2016, it just had to get one last dick punch in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've never really done New Years. I probably would this year, if DC had anything remotely like NYC in the form of a centralized event. I'm not going bar crawling, or paying through the nose for a meal that they rush me through.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I had a teacher in high school who went to Times Square. He said it loving sucked, and that was probably pre-9-11. You stand around bored out of your loving mind except when they send the skycam by and then you act like you're having fun. It's probably worse now.

They do a big local thing here but the one time I watched it, in 1999, it looked like the lanest thing ever. They probably don't even bother televising it anymore.

Yeah, everyone I've talked to that's done it said it was a miserable experience. I still want to do it once though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My back/groin injury this week has reminded me that I'm totally not in my 20s anymore. When I went to urgent care on Friday to get some serious anti-inflammatories and a muscle relaxer they offered me vicodin. Being a white male owns.

(I didn't take the script)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TBeats posted:

I've drastically changed almost everything about my lifestyle to try and be healthier. I used to be able to shovel down an entire pizza from dominos and be fine but I ate four slices about a month ago and about an hour later I noticed my fingers were all swollen.

My lunch today? Strawberries, carrots, raspberries, grapes, apples, and almonds and 20oz of water

And no I'm not on a fruit diet. Just fruit and veggies for lunch.

Turns out that I'm a stress eater, who knew?

The instant I got the source of 99% of my stress out of my life, I stopped eating garbage. I'm on a self improvement spree right now.

I'm getting a rowing machine either this month or the next.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was about to say "I have a stash of them for emergencies including doxycycline" but upon inspection of my medicine cabinet, I apparently do not anymore. Goddamnit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I have one of those water rowers like frank underwood and it will kick your butt. Great exercise and oddly relaxing at the same time with the water sounds "wooosh...... wooosh...... "

literally the reason i wanted to get one

"oh man that looks cool"

then it turns out that yeah it's great exercise but i was already sold on it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I quit soda *mostly*. I still have a 20oz coke once or twice a week with my lunch.

I switched to Spindrift and LaCroix instead. Much better for you since it's just water with a little bit of flavor.

That WaterRower is cheaper than I thought, I might get it sooner rather than later. First on my list is a new bed, probably gonna get the Casper like I wanted to like four or five months ago. And maybe a new couch.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Godholio posted:

I've given up trying to cold turkey my way out of soda. Aside from the crippling caffeine and sugar addiction, I just like it with certain foods. The new rule starting this week is 3 per week (a couple of months ago it was 2-3 per day most of the time). After a month of that, down to 2 per week. The real trick is going to be finding more stuff to cook that isn't going to induce cravings, and that I can make in small enough portions that I'm not eating it for more than 3 days in a row and getting thoroughly sick of it.

Yeah, basically if I get a sandwich and chips, I have to get soda. It's a rule. Like water, or dinosaurs.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm lucky enough that I somehow never managed to pick up dip/smoking while in the Army. Thank gently caress.

I don't drink alone, and I don't drink to excess. I bought a few sixpacks when I broke up with my ex and was like WAIT A MINUTE so I stopped.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm mega glad that I work with a bunch of doctors and my government boss is an athletic trainer. I got a shitload of useful advice for nothin'

I mean, I hate them for other reasons, but at least they pay off whenever I'm sick or injured.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I'm not resizing poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
just got my Casper, it's comfy

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Doing my annual security training. I failed all the pre-test sections. Because I safeguard information too well.

The gently caress?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I drink Spindrift Raspberry mostly now. Whole can has 2g of sugar. Downside is that it only comes in 4 packs and that flavor sells out like crazy at my Trader Joes. I like most LaCroix stuff though.

At work I have 3 20oz bottles of Coke a week, for the days when I get soup and chips.

I'm getting a rowing machine in like two weeks. Genuinely excited about that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

no bones about it posted:

I just got a job offer in Annapolis Junction MD, how much am I going to hate the commute?

(Its smack in the middle between DC and Baltimore)

Live close to work.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My garbage disposal died, causing a problem with the unit's sewer something-or-other. So my sink is full of water and it stinks to high heaven. There's two dudes trying to fix it right now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i drink yerba tea now in the morning

it's pretty good

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have soup every day for lunch now, at least until the cafe near work stops doing that when winter ends. It's pretty good because it's some artsy fartsy place and I get the low sodium options most of the time. I also switched to drinking Yerba mate tea instead of an early morning coffee.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I loving despise the lighting in my apartment so I'm going turbonerd and getting a Hue setup and an Echo.

It's me, the rear end in a top hat with more disposable income than sense.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It was 25 today. I think snowfall in my area of NoVA has been under an inch for the whole season.

I don't even know anymore.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

3Romeo posted:

Anyone else been out for ten + years and missing it?

lol gently caress no who am I kidding

I've been out for almost ten and a half. Every time I start to miss it, I remember that it's my stupid brain trying to put on rose colored goggles and that 90% of it was horrible poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mike-o posted:

I know we all like to poo poo on the military because honestly it sucked and was retarded.....but the poo poo deployments I had, the guys I deployed with were the best people I've ever met and I miss them more than I can even describe. Combat makes you close, and losing friends just makes it grow even more. I got to see three of my close friends last summer for one buddy's wedding. I can't even describe to you how loving happy I was to see them again. I feel that way about practically my entire company that I deployed with. With the exception of my old platoon sergeant. He no joke deserves to loving die. He should have loving died. But....that's what I miss, the guys that I'm closer to than anyone else. I kind of miss some parts of the military in general, but I know my time has passed and there's too much bullshit to outweigh the few good things. It's the memories and the people that I miss, not the army. It's a big part of my depression , anxiety, anger and PTSD. All I want to do is hang out with my war buddies and drink some beer and shoot some guns and bullshit together and tell war stories and then when we're pretty hammered and open up we can let out all that pain and sadness to each other, because we trust each other more than anyone. That poo poo builds up inside, and I don't feel like anyone but them really understands what it feels like.

It sounds really loving hokey but time makes it better. I was a complete loving wreck of a person emotionally for two+ years after I got out, and didn't really "recover" to the point of being a mostly functional person until the last few years. I'm glad that I worked with vets at the school for four and a half years, because essentially that was my emotional decompression chamber that kinda equalized things over time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zeris posted:

I am currently watching guys from our sister company, who we fought alongside in Wardak, tear each other apart Lord Of The Flies-style on facebook in response to someone sharing a "Islam is a peaceful religion" protest pic. It's really bad. It's on facebook, but still. These dudes were losing limbs next to each other 8 years ago and now they're cutting off all contact and calling each other traitors.

This is reason #356736 I don't have facebook or any other social media.

Want to make someone you've known for years question you? Mention you're dating an Arab.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
After packing and moving a ton of poo poo a few hundred miles by myself I will never do that poo poo again.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I grew my beard back in a month or so ago, first time I've had one in like 3.5 years. I have hella grey hairs in it now but whatever. I'm keeping it short and neatly trimmed with some trimmer kit I bought off amazon.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's a ton of bespoke artisanal burger places around here so I haven't eaten at a chain burger place in 2.5 years.

The pizza here is still rates from abysmal to 'eh' though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
my area is flooded with high end cars driven by foreign nationals

if you get hit by any of them and they have a diplomatic plate, lol @ you

the only time they won't drive off is if the car is too damaged for that

then they call someone who picks them up and they leave anyway

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Maybe I'm weird, but I don't like having roommates. I can thank the Army for deciding that one for me. And for the last year and a half of my relationship with my ex.

Like I totally get why people get them for a number of reasons, but if I'm ever in that situation again I would choose to eat less food or something to have my own place.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have my own washer and dryer in my unit. It is well worth it.

My lady is going to earn close to double what I earn next year. Gonna DINK so hard.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I pay 2k/month for a 2/2 in a really nice area. If I want to be on orange or silver line that's the going rate.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I grew my beard back in after a few years of hiatus. It's kept very short and I like it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Monty peers into the camera

it's a living

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Son of a bitch, I broke another part of my busted rear end wisdom tooth. It doesn't hurt, but it's sharp.

Gonna have to go to the dentist on Friday I think, this is like the 15th time a small piece of it has broken off in the last few years.

Why yes, I did live most of my life without dental insurance, why do you ask?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Pesticide20 posted:

Why didn't you get them taken out in the army?

Because I was told they wouldn't be a problem for years when I was in 43AG, I never saw the dentist in Korea, I deployed and got hand waved through without an exam because I was torch party, I came back and pulled my name from the lists because I was in operations and didn't want to go to a guy nicknamed "the butcher" who would routinely use the absolute minimum anesthesia to "save the government money".

I had one of them pulled in 2012 when I split it open, and it cost like 700 bucks because I had no insurance (and had 200 bucks left to my name after the fact ho ho ho) and I never bothered to get the second one taken care of. I have really good dental insurance now, I just need to take the time off work and get it done with.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just send them your offer letter for your new place.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm ditching cable service this week because I don't watch regular TV and my ex was the one that insisted on having it. I pay 180/mo for basic poo poo. Gonna drop the hundred dollar garbage TV and up my internet a little.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
oh my god i've been so gassy today

i think i got a turd lodged up in my intestines somewhere and it's just letting the poo gas run right out

it's horrific

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I wouldn't buy a house to save 300 bucks a month and be suddenly responsible for fixing broken poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In my part of CT a 3BR would run around 300-450k.

In my part of VA a 3BR would run around 1-1.25m.

• Locked thread