Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah no poo poo but hearing "this man needs to run a 800 calorie a day deficit to maintain weight" from an actual scientific study is still kinda shocking

It really does remind me of all of the heroin/fentanyl stuff right now. Seems like the only way to not be fat is to not get fat in the first place and the only way to not be an addict is to not start using in the first place.

Sort of the same reason I generally turn down the heavy-duty painkillers if everything's still bearable, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Was checking the work address book for someone's phone number and some contractor is listing his job title as "Supr 1337 h@x0r".

I want to reach through my monitor and grab him by the throat. I think that's pretty Dad.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Buca di Bepis posted:

I can never get my cast iron steaks to come out right

Maybe I just need to do it more

https://youtu.be/7QmCVjSoY_w

I season the hell out of it, sear it, then the key is getting the oven timing right to pull the steak out at 140-145. It seems that a strip steak takes longer to cook than a ribeye, so the video's 4 minutes in the oven is likely right for a ribeye, but more needed for a typical strip steak. I personally use Lodge's ridged pan for steaks.

Using my BBQ grill is obviously preferable though, but gently caress, the timing really does depend on the steak thickness.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Y'all need to see the PresidentialTrump twitter feed. Someone takes his tweets, adds coherency when possible, and they drat near sound normal.

https://twitter.com/MatureTrumpTwts/status/821702703860645888

It's kinda creepy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
To make up for that, and Grand Tour coming on in ten minutes, this was a thing for the past few days as the statue heads ran around the LA area. There are even dad-tier puns in this article!

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-gr...-massive-heads/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

Holy loving gently caress.

Is it too early to call this my favorite movie of 2017?

John Wick: Chapter Two is out February 10th.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Ultimate Dad Game is My Summer Car.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Quick carchat story, coworker bought a Ford F-150 about a couple years ago, drove it home, and it completely died the next day. Dead transmission. Someone in the factory didn't connect a transmission line or something and all of the transmission fluid came out and the transmission basically ate itself to death.

Ford fixed it and extended his bumper-to-bumper warranty a few years, but that's the craziest new car story I've heard.

He now drives a PT Cruiser because of the better gas mileage to/from work.

Edit:

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Home ownership is cool and good

The best is buying a move-in ready, but slightly neglected house that's had a low-level groverjob on it. Fixing random problems is actually a lot of fun in a strange way.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 28, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I get the feeling that I'm going to watch that Rick and Morty episode multiple times and STILL not catch all the jokes and poo poo in there.

There's even a REALLY subversive statement in there and I had to rewind the part with closed captions on to make sure I heard what I heard.

It's also really weird that they censor dick and gently caress, but not poo poo.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TBeats posted:

Something I found that I didn't know I need in my life: a local honey dealer.

A coworker brings a bunch of containers from a local honey dealer and I swear I see people shake when he's not at his desk and they want to buy some.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Two Finger posted:

i mean it was a few years ago now, like hell must have been 2006 or 2007 but i dropped about 500 on a 5.1 system which i still use to this day, makes good sound and loud as hell with a kickass sub

that an option for you?

Around that time, I also got a 5.1 Home Theatre in-a-box and then bought better speaker wire because what was included was lovely 18-gauge. It was nice to get everything together, receiver, speakers, and subwoofer together all for around $400. Unless you're turbopicky, or already have a receiver, it's a serious option for a $500 budget and amazon has a few to pick from.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Many people can't move and are bed bound on their back and or can't control their bowels what you think the poop fairies take it away my goodness

Look, it's well known in the movies that hostages never piss and poo poo up their windowless, toiletless jail cells for their weeks and months of captivity, so why wouldn't old people be the same?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Had a dream that an exterior-type outdoor faucet (that you would connect a garden hose to) blew in one of the rooms of my mom's house when I was trying to fix it.

Woke up, realized how insane that was, but my homeowner dadbrain wouldn't shut up about fixing the problem. Should I go to Lowes, or Home Depot? Do I need a specialty plumbing shop for that part? Should I bring in a picture of the faucet with measuring tape showing the diameter? Where's the master shutoff for the water inside the house? Is there an exterior water shutoff? Will my mother/brother need to come over while they wait to get that fixed? How expensive is it going to be? Is that plumbing contractor I know available for emergency work?

It never occurred to me until just now that the drywall might get soaked and could use replacing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Y'all are missing that this was a dream and only grover would put an outdoor spigot/faucet on the inside of the house. That dream I had just triggered all of the I MUST FIX IT I MUST FIX IT OH GOD THERE COULD BE WATER EVERYWHERE impulses and once those start, good luck getting back to sleep.

Unless there's some way to take pictures of dreams, that'd be rad as hell.

In realdad world, I'm super-pumped to sharpen my rotary lawnmower over the weekend. Got the instructions and everything, just need to find a brick-and-mortar place that has lapping fluid (looking like an auto parts store trip).

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I think we just got the origin story of a United States Marine.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The temporary promotion putting me into middle management just ended, but they still dont have anyone else yet. Nobody else wants the temp promotion. I'm still doing the exact same job without the pay.

As a boss and as a lineworker, I have to tell myself to suck my dick from the back.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
On the subject of mowing lawns, I go nuts when I can't mow on Saturdays due to rain, but this dude takes that to a whole new level.

https://twitter.com/DavidNelsonNews/status/871343143597355008

I checked and that newspaper is Not The Canadian Onion.

quote:

Cecilia Wessels snapped the picture of her husband, Theunis, on Friday evening as the twister passed near their home in Three Hills.

She said cutting the grass was on her husband's to-do list, and as he started the task, she went for a nap.

Wessels said she was woken by her nine-year-old daughter who was upset that there was something like a tornado in the sky, but her father wouldn't come inside.

Theunis Wessels said the tornado was actually much further away than it appears in the photo, and that it was moving away from them.

I will never, ever be able to rise to that level of dad.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
That's a ton of dad in your dad and it's dad-building time.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Apologies for that derail.

Kuroyama posted:

92 degrees today. 5 minutes outside and I was dripping with sweat. Didn't help I was in a suit for those 5 minutes.

All funerals need to take place on rainy days.

It was 95 and sunny out yesterday, which was a really lovely time to find out my car is only blowing out cold air from one side. That "Max A/C" button is a lying motherfucker when you're low on refrigerant.

Rapidly approaching the time of year when mowing the lawn needs to be done pre-shower instead of post-shower.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There's some kind of Rick and Morty live event today at 9PM EST and a marathon currently ongoing.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams/rick-and-morty

Information is sort of sketchy about what the event will actually be, but they sold tickets for it: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rick-and-morty-live-stream-tickets-35607571204

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zeris posted:

Username/post combo

Randomly came down with Bell's Palsy Tuesday. No history in family, lots of people saying "oh yeah, my dad had that".

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Rick got his szechuan sauce.

https://twitter.com/JustinRoiland/status/891521911460470784

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Jane Wick Atomic Blonde

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Find me the gently caress scene in German. You know the one.

The scene was so loving good that they barely fuckin touched it.

https://youtu.be/hHsD3K_Kn8Y

Kind of a letdown though, gently caress.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Woof Blitzer posted:

Anybody ever written a fed resume before?

Are you in the government already and/or is the posting on USAJOBS? The bottom line is to tailor your resume to the job announcement. Don't submit a generic resume that you sent elsewhere, custom-make one tailored to the job position.

If you're inside the government already or if it's like what I'm used to, if you get a word limit, stretch that poo poo to the word limit. My understanding (which could be wrong, there are shitloads of rumors) is that every resume gets read by some no-namer at OPM, just to see if your qualifications hit the necessary requirements for the position. If the position needs A, B, C and you cited in your resume A, B, and C, congrats, you make it through the first cut from thousands of resumes down to hundreds. Also, if the requirements say "must upload a picture of applicant loving a horse" and you don't upload the horsefucking, you get autorejected, even if you mentioned being a master horsefucker in the resume. OPM doesn't give a poo poo, they're just looking for an excuse to not read the resume and insufficient documentation is their easy out.

Then, the pile of resumes gets into the hands of the poor bastard that actually knows what the job is about, and they sort it down and try to find a natural "cut" line based on a scoring structure. For instance, if a criterion is based on expertise in loving, you get 9 for being married, 6 for a steady relationship, 3 if you dabbled one time on a cruise, etc. If done right, there will be piles of resume scores in the 30s, 40s, 70s, and 80s, the cut line is set at a nice 69, and everyone above that gets the interview call.

Lots and lots of screens, all dependent on how well the resume is written to the job announcement.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

Part of the problem is that very few people actually know how USAjobs screens anything, and there's so much conflicting information out there it's all completely worthless.

I've always heard about the automatic screening, which looks for keywords even though KSAs are supposed to be gone. The workaround for that is to copy/paste the relevant text from the posting into an invisible tiny text box on the resume; a person won't see it, but it's still searchable in a .doc/docx/pdf. But there are plenty of sources saying there is no computerized screening at all, so that step might be worthless.

What I'm saying is gently caress usajobs, and gently caress OPM for not explaining how any of this actually works. Their FAQ might as well say butterflies transcribe your documents and carry them to the unicorn city, where the jellybean king throws darts at them to pick who gets hired.

Yep. The worst is that after the resume upload, you get asked a bunch of questions about your expertise in whatever. There's apparently a huge problem with people just maxing out their answers, being completely full of poo poo, then getting the interview specifically because they maxed out their answers.

It's more of a problem for promotions and internal stuff where bullshitters and liars get promoted, while truthful people have more of a hurdle. Supposedly, the time to bust someone about lying on a questionnaire or resume is during the interview process, which is great solace to the person that got bumped from the interview due to the lying rear end in a top hat.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Vasudus posted:

i remain skeptical of all this bwade runnah talk

i refuse to believe that something can break the random sequel 20+ years later curse

I don't know how they pulled off some of the technical poo poo in the new Blade Runner, so worth seeing just for some of the Magic of Movies stuff.

Someone also brought a baby or a small child into the theatre for my screening. There would be explosions on the screen and the kid in the back row would basically coo UH OHHH UH OHHH!

That kid is going to grow up perfect, or hosed.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Since this came up earlier, there's an official OPM training class on federal resumes coming up. I have absolutely no idea how good this training actually will be, but there's a session online on October 18th, 2017 at 11AM EST - 12:30PM EST. It's an official OPM virtual presentation and they're going to walk through a job announcement and tailoring your resume to it.

I was given the link https://writingyourfederalresumedetroitfeb.eventbrite.com which redirects to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/writing-your-federal-resume-detroit-feb-morning-tickets-37241488294

The OPM Wizard blessed sending that poo poo out to "friends, family, community partners, and dead gay forums" so it has been cleared. Registration is required so they know where to find you and your guns. :nsa:

Edit: gently caress running, lift stuff

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Is the Costco gas line ever not an insane mess? I guess if you have a big car you might save more than $2 waiting in like for 15 mins with A/C blasting

I just want to get TO Costco gently caress out the way

Weekends are almost always a lost cause, you mostly have to stick to weekdays or off-hours. I've had some luck with lunchtime runs. Around this area, premium tends to run $3.75 and Costco always has it for $2.99 or less, so I'll accept the long wait.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Wrong thread, oops!

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ElMaligno posted:

So for the same and above square footage I might be paying a lil more per month if you add utilities to the mix. ofc I would be paying for the house for a lit longer. :shrug:

A lot of it is going to depend on how much money you have on-hand ready to go for closing costs / down payment and what kind of reasonably affordable houses are available in your area. Also, how your local market generally handles those closing costs (does the seller pay, does the buyer pay, is there a split, etc).

It's absolutely true that rent money gets "wasted" instead of building equity in a house, but you're also not generally dealing with the costs associated with appliance poo poo breaking all the time in a place you can't quickly move from. Home inspectors don't catch everything and inevitably some major appliance or structural aspect will take a poo poo in the first few months of owning the house, right when you're at your cash-poorest from all the initial costs. Don't forget that a lot of places are due for a recession soon, so a house might shortly end up only being worth 80% of what you paid for it. Or, it could go up up up!

Rent if you're not too sure about the future. Buy if you're reasonably sure and you have a chunk of money ready.

• Locked thread