Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Thank you for this.

Also I'm hungover as all gently caress

I was DD last night. I think I won considering my friends I was with all feel like death and I'm bright and chipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ded posted:

Hey cool. My car battery shows 'green' but won't crank out a start and makes everything flash like its possessed. Oh and it has a bunch of loving corrosion and the car is less than 2 years old :wtc:

Most car batteries last a year or two anymore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Bullshit. Batteries are no less reliable than they have been for the past two decades. The problem is corrosion and a bad connection. There's enough juice, it's just not getting through. Scrape that poo poo off and make sure the terminals are tight on the posts.

Edit: Get a tool like this. Shove it on the post and twist until it's clean. Remove the cap and use the brush inside to clean the inside of the terminal.

Dude i'm just going off what I've had to deal with. The batteries on my diesel food truck last longest of everything, but as they get smaller they have to be replaced more frequently. You're right that corrosion may be the only problem in this case, but almost all after market batteries seem to die for me just outside of their warranty. I have to change my harley battery every year, my corvette battery every 2-3, and usually every 2-3 years for any other passenger car i own.

Roommate has a 2012 Toyota Tundra that the factory battery just took a poo poo and had to be replaced. Car batteries are not near as robust as they used to be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Remember that 2012 models began production half way through 2011. Even if your roommate's truck was built at the rear end end of the model year, that's still 4.5 years of life. My Kia battery is 5 years old and still cranks fine unless it's below zero.

Vehicle quality has largely gone up. Just because it's not as heavy or boxy or whatever doesn't mean manufacturers make poorer quality cars. Well, except Chrysler products, but if you're buying a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram and probably Fiat, you're already ignoring good advice from at least one car person you might know.

What's changed is that people are less willing to buy a battery with a 48 month replacement warranty because they cost more than the 24 month warrantied chinese battery from Walmart. Just don't buy lovely batteries.

It's like buying an alternator from a dealer parts department compared to one from autozone. It's going to do the same job, but the autozone one was rebuilt to solely make it one day past its warranty, and the dealer OEM part is new.

That was the factory battery with a 3 year warranty. It outlasted it's purpose.

I'm saying that when you go to O'Reillys, autozone, napa, or any of those and grab a battery off the shelf it's going to last up to it's warranty and then typically not a whole lot longer. A lot of places don't even have battery core charges anymore and actually charge a disposal fee because they go through them enough.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

After over 3 years, dozens of phone calls, and a congressional inquiry I finally got a call from the district review office regarding my appeal. They're just going to send me out for new exams since I got a copy/paste job for my C&P exams out in Hawaii.

It took forever but finally moving loving forward.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

holocaust bloopers posted:

Have any of you had any luck submitting a VA disability claim for other injuries/ailments after the initial round of claims?

I havent submitted anything new because ive been waiting on this appeal forever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

For choice you have to be over 40 miles from the nearest VA medical facility. If you are, its basically just insurance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just wake up whenever I wake up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

Also I hosed up today. I was collaborating with someone online and shared the folder with my resume and tax returns instead of the one we were using previously, and I left it on for 3 days until I noticed :doh:

gently caress the cloud

nice identity you have there. Be a shame if it was stolen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Does the house have a cement foundation? If they have to bust that up to fix/move pipes you're looking at a few grand just for dealing with the foundation not even counting the actual repairs needed or the costs of trenching up the yard.

Remember one of the most iconic :grovertoot: images involved a sewer repair.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Buca di Bepis posted:

It'd either be out in the yard or (worst case) under the street in front, since the offset is located at 107 ft along the run. I have no clue if this is a serious potential problem or if the inspector is just being cautious. Here's what he said: "Offset noted in main sewer line at a joint in the pipe at 107 feet. The offset appears to be over 1 inch. This can allow solids or debris to collect in the pipe causing blockage. This can also allow water to seep into the soil causing further settlement."

I mean if it's that far out then it may be just as simple as digging up that spot and repairing it. I was talking mainly if it was something that needed foundation work or if the whole line would have to be dug up. If it's just one spot way out, it might be a quick fix.

I'd say it would be worth your while to get an expert out to look at that specifically first so you have an actual dollar amount you can go forward with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I got 3 40" westinghouses from best buy a few years ago for $300/ea that have no smart features and are still trucking great minus lovely speakers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anyone have the link to the biden really good video handy?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's weird. So it's just leaking into the ground? Or is there some weird reducer fitted in there

the pipe is broken right there and yes it is partially leaking into the ground.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Buca di Bepis posted:

Realtor recommended I get a sewer scope and yeah it's probably gonna be worth the $125 extra I spent on top of the home inspection.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty with home ownership but as a first time buyer I was thinking more along the lines of recalking the window seals and not digging a trench in the street and paying the city to divert traffic.

If at all possible get the seller to fix this or pay to get it fixed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Buca di Bepis posted:

Oh yeah I totally intend to walk if they don't address the sewer thing. No way I'm loving with that.

Good deal. I've known people that have just taken on problems like that before and been burned hard. Which reminds me, I haven't looked at hoodwinked house in a minute time to check up on that.

Edit: haha he's been sued by the house flipper for having the balls to call him out for bullshit house flipping. He's got a facebook page where he just shits on every listing this guy is trying to flip and urges people to call the city on him.

If none of you ever looked at the poo poo, the guy behind the hoodwinked house blog is pretty much in the right 100%. He got hosed hardcore and in devious ways deliberately to hide things from inspectors.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 17, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Took Hector to the vet today. He's 6lbs already and just barely 4 months old.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Old man rant:

I'm generally opposed to "snow days", because gently caress these dumb kids praying to get out of the classes their parents pay tens of thousands of dollar for when they can't be bothered to get out of bed, put on shoes, and/or have proper tires in the loving winter. But both the city of Flagstaff and NAU are somehow incomprehensibly incompetent at preparing for, and dealing with snow. Like, at all.

It's genuinely beyond me how you can have a winter storm warning by NWS three days in advance (with up to 27 inches of snow predicted), not prepare for it whatsoever, engage in laughingly bad efforts clearing the snow during and after, and then be EQUALLY UNPREPARED AND INCOMPETENT WHEN YOU GET ANOTHER SNOW STORM WARNING TWO DAYS LATER.

Outside of maybe the main pedway, absolutely fuckall has been cleared, there have been a total of five injuries from people falling down the legit-snowslide-stairs just in my dorm (then again, maybe they should go out and buy a loving snow shovel and some rock salt like I did), and now that all the non-cleared snow has begun thawing and re-freezing over the last two days, we're getting another 17 inches on top of that.

I love snow and I have no problem getting up a half hour earlier to negotiate the lovely conditions, but the blatant incompetence is beginning to actually hurt my brain.

Its not that they're unprepared. Unique meteorological events can leave a place that is not used to them in a pickle. This happens every year. Everyone likes to :lol: the south when it comes to snow and ice, but the fact of the matter is they aren't equipped to handle it even with infinite notice. You can't suddenly make scraper trucks, salt trucks, tons of rock salt, etc materialize.

Likewise the same thing happens in other places too just not involving snow. Hurricanes don't really gently caress up Florida more than a couple of days if even that normally. Most places are completely functional in a week. Then you go to New Jersey that isn't equipped to handle a strong hurricane and Sandy comes in a wrecks loving shop.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

There's a big loving difference between an event like Sandy and getting 3" of snow in the south every 2-3 years.

I live in a city that has maybe one to two hard freezes annually and that's all. There was one winter here where we had actual ice on the road for an entire day or so. Some of those roads were just simply not safe to drive on. I've got experience living in a place with actual winters, snow, and ice but in those places they actually have salt trucks and snow plows. There is zero infrastructure here to handle any ice at all and there are tons of hills all around. 3" of snow would be devastating here and would be every bit as big an event as Sandy.

On the flip side, I get hit by storms just as powerful or more so than Sandy annually and they rarely cause more than mild inconvenience because we're equipped to handle them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

god clean/clip your nails holy poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

no bones about it posted:

We post here, we're probably all on the spectrum tbh.

But trains are cool.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just got home from my vasectomy. It sure is odd seeing smoke coming from your testicles.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Do you smoke after sex? I dunno. I never looked.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DownByTheWooter posted:

You get it done through tricare, va, other? I have Tricare Select, so I can get it for $50, but I'm p sure I can get one for free from the VA

I got it done through the VA. Initially I was scheduled to do it in house which would have meant two trips to gainesville for the procedure. I emailed them and asked if I could do the pre-op bloodwork done locally. They said no, but asked if I'd like to see someone local. I told them yes so they booked my appointment out far enough to trigger the choice program. Got it done by one of the best urology places around. VA covered 100%.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proud Christian Mom posted:

which one of you can i bring on to my Advocare team?!?!

I'm here to tell you about It Works! and how wrapping saran wrap around your stomach will cause you to lose weight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Become a MFC cam whore, Deathy

not MFC but I did that with a gal a few times on a camsite. Was lots of fun would do again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I know having sex with a hot woman for pay is insane.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ElMaligno posted:

Mr nice do you have any moto tats? I always loose my boner when i see one.

Nah, and odds are extremely slim anyone here ever saw me. I only did it a few times and none of my vids are even up on those camgirl aggregation sites. But yeah I'll never be president now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boy that's a bad day

If the sheep people on that one episode of dirty jobs are to be believed, the rubber bands gently caress up the animals for a few days until the process is done. It's much faster/painless to just cut them out apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKfgtjAJJMM&t=2643s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-udsIV4Hmc

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 13, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

joat mon posted:

I think the specific parts are teaching the goats to lead / lead off of you and getting them used to the pack frames.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490050#post404567349

We've never had a sheep or goat go down like described from being banded. Maybe if you messed up and caught the scrotum and testicle in the band instead of just the scrotum?
Then again, we don't generally eat lamb fries.
The cut/chomp/yank kind of has the feel of the old timer telling you to spit your tobacco juice down your dog's throat to worm him.
OTOH, if you're doing all the spring babies of a large herd at one time, cut/chomp/yank is probably faster and cheaper.

I appreciate that cut/chomp/yank is a part of your vernacular.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Could always go wicker man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think everyone's avatar could be replaced by nick cage in unique ways.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

AT&T has unlimited data but they tether you down to 2G if you use too much (like 20GB).

And if you get a plan (I think I'm on 6GB?) and go over, they used to charge you $10 or $15 per GB of overage. Now they just tether you down to 2G speeds if you go over, so you have to upgrade your plan. But I don't think you can downgrade your plan partway through your cycle so if you upgrade you're stuck paying more for an extra month.

Thats the old grandfathered plan. As of a few days ago unlimited with at&t is only available now if you also subscribe to directv.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

I know. I have DIRECTV.

Now ask me how I know they tether you down to 2G if you use too much.

:lol: not surprised those cocksuckers do that. I'm on a 25gb plan right now that hasnt ever been tethered but they're always trying to get me to upgrade.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hellboy is still young enough to train to not be an rear end in a top hat, right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just went into the kitchen and look what was crawling around near the handle of my silverware drawer. Pic is a bit blurry because it was on the move. It was about the size of a quarter. It's squished and in the trash can now. But always a nice thing to see crawling around where you typically blindly place your hands.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah i have a 77. I need to replace my valve cover seals though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've had just plain internet from comcast for $40/mo for 75mbps for a couple years because I only really need 40-50 and i can get that for $35 from the DSL people. Anytime they try to charge me more i call to tell them to cancel, they send me to the retention department and magically i get to stay at my current speed/price.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Oh man, just saw the movie Get Out. It looked kind of lame, but drat, if you're looking for a good thriller, go see it

Is that the Jordan Peele flick about the black guy dating the white girl and going back to the slave village to meet her parents? I've seen a lot of previews for that and it looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Please watch to the end:

https://twitter.com/ryxnf/status/837711835918893057?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Locked thread