Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Null Integer posted:

Treat everyone like a normal human person who has issues/problems/a life outside of work and you won't be an annoying fuckstick.

Yes, it's this. Don't let them blow your head up, be normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I'm sick with fever and poo poo on the end of holiday standown. I feel like a shitbag for not coming in after 4 days off (and 2 weeks of half-days before that) so I guess I'm gonna take some motrins and suck it up.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

maffew buildings posted:

Woah, hold on there shipmate

Did you change your socks and hydrate?

Turns out I have the flu! I called in sick.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Did you at least bring your own laptop so you could gently caress off during the class?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

vulturesrow posted:

TAP Day 2. DoL contract instructor is a retired NCC. :suicide:

You're retiring, you can just attend days 1 and 5!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Right here my man: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2013/NAV13053.txt

Para. 3, A.

They tend to avoid telling this to retirees, because everyone would peace the gently caress out until the VA Benefits brief on Friday. In Norfolk you get a memo stating you attended days 1 and 5, and skipped the DOLEW. You still meet all of the CRS requirements at the end.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Sarkazm posted:

Hey ladies, you probably don't remember me, but I stalked these forums a few years ago as a disgruntled and very bored Chief. You shits even wrote me a NAM for my retirement that is still on my dresser at home. Anyway, I'm back.

So, here's the skinny. I'm retired, bearded up, keep my hands in pockets at all times and don't give two shits if you vape on ships. More importantly is this: The reason I'm here. I worked for almost two years after retirement as a Dept of Labor Employment Workshop Facilitator and now work at a Fleet and Family Service Center in the San Diego area where I help military peeps learn how to be people again. If you have questions about transition, job searches, LinkedIn, interviews, resumes, and just life in general after EAOS, ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

If you've ever been in one of my TGPS classes, I'd like to apologize right now because you're probably homeless.

Ayyyy I'm an NC eligible for retirement in a few years. How do I get your job? I want to be in San Diego also.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yo, here's some (probably) upcoming stuff:

Market place detailing - Combined C-WAY and CMSID. You compete for a billet to stay in the Navy. Currently, you're asking to stay in the Navy (C-WAY), then competing for a billet (CMSID). Lots of Sailors get a reenlistment quota, then decide to separate. A combined system means that you're asking to stay in the Navy to transfer, doing both at the same time. It'll probably be years before this is all worked out, because it's an IT nightmare.

Elimination of E-4 exams for 20+ rates that will advance out of A school.

E-4 through E-6 +2 years HYT (now 10, 16, 22), happening soon.

YN/PS/NC rating merger (HR rating?).

Expanded CMSID window, three 2 month long windows starting at 12 months to PRD. (Ties into C-WAY, where you request a reenlistment quota 12 months prior to PRD/EAOS)

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 28, 2017

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Not clear on details, but it'll probably be a matter of months after a Sailor arrives to the command before they can request advancement to E-4.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I was in DC for a long weekend in April. The Newseum is really great, definitely a must visit.

You can even touch the Unabomber's cabin!!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

vulturesrow posted:

Yes you should get BAS for the time you are TAD, if I properly understand what I just read in the DoD Financial Management regulations. And hey, I have a Financial Management subspecialty code so I must be right!

e: I keep reading this and I'm not sure if I'm right or not. Maybe DustyNuts will show up with the right answer.

e2: After talking to my LPO I'm reasonably confident I am correct.

Its been many years since I worked travel stuff, but I think that as long as you're not required to use government messing at the TAD location, then you should receive full BAS + the per diem rate. But you're not going to get paid the BAS until you file your travel claim.

As far as that IRR ID card goes, based on my understanding of the instruction, you don't need to be in uniform since ID card photos are supposed to be just your face (most offices don't issue them that way). If there's a uniform requirement, then it's local policy. You are supposed to maintain uniforms in decent condition during IRR time, but I know a lot of people that dumped all of that stuff off at Goodwill on their EAOS.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Laranzu posted:

Impromptu Type 3 NWU boot opinion poll:
What we have been authorized to wear in non steel toe are the:

Rocky S2V
Belleville C333

Any horror stories or major failings anyone has had with these?

I've worn that Rocky model for like 6 years, they're solid. Just replace them every couple of years or when they get too dirty/torn up. Make sure they're loose when you slide them on, I've had a pair lose the padding in the heel because I yanked them on every day. The Belleville's look goofy, no idea about those.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Mail buoy reminds me of other pranks. We had an OS that would do ESWS training in CIC, and he'd have you stand across from him over the DRT, which had these waist high panels that came down on either end. After showing how to operate the DRT and stuff, he'd tell you to open the panel on your side and look in for a piece of equipment called the DRT snake. You'd bend down, open the panel and look inside, and across the way he had his dick out all waggling around. Then everyone in Combat would laugh at you. Just a little light, semi-gay hazing. nbd

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 5, 2017

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I've talked to a couple of guys that did the three days bread and water who said it sucked really really bad, and would have preferred any other punishment. Plus, you're sitting in the brig where they deprive you of sleep and all you have to read is a Bible.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I work at a command with fairly relaxed grooming standards. When I went to the NEX today for a haircut, Geronimo the barber asked me when I had retired. I told him I have at least a few more years, and he told me to come to him every two weeks until then.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

Holy poo poo.

So many tears.

Wonder if uniforms are going to be offered in bigger sizes now.

The new policy is bananas. But hey, the CNO or whoever did say we were a "growing" Navy!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

ded posted:

I bet if you could find an eval from 20 years ago it would sound nearly the same as they do now, just with slightly different 'point' scales.

I looked up my eval from 2001 and had a good laugh.

code:
Seaman DustyNuts is a mature, motivated individual with a desire to learn.  He possesses the
qualities and potential to be an outstanding Personnelman.  His accomplishments include:
- Expediently completes service record entries with minimal error.
- Contributed to the success of Admin Department receiving a grade of "satisfactory"
during the Division in the Spotlight review.
- Assisted the DCPO on gasket replacement and valve maintenance throughout the Ship's Office
spaces, thereby making them fully inspection ready.
- Completed at least 20 percent of his ESWS qualification, a testimony of his initiative
and desire to broaden his professional knowledge.
- Provides "outstanding" customer service to the crew.
Seaman DustyNuts has the attitude, ideals, and military bearing to succeed in today's Navy.  He
is strongly recommended for advancement.
I'm the use of both present and past tense, minimal error, 20 percent ESWS, and quote "outstanding" customer service. :laffo:

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I'm a CCC and super looking forward to my first real working day tomorrow after the Navy released 1000 new sweeping personnel policy NAVADMINS over the holidays. :suicide:

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

OBLISERV changes, extensions to match assignment, SRB update, oh and it's BRS opt-in time too.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Oceana/Dam Neck snow daaaaaayyyyyy

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The Fitz and McCain CO's have been brought up on homicide charges:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/16/politics/ex-navy-commanders-criminal-charges-collisions/index.html

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Well, I got mine in 2004, so I'm kinda bummed I didn't get the super improved version.

Related: One of our HMs was administering smallpox to crew members for a few hours, walked over to the sink, and rubbed his eye with a gloved hand like a total idiot. He developed a nasty infection in that eye, it was all swollen and oozing and gross for a week. Way to go.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

How far out did you drop papers? My current enlistment only takes me to 19 years and 8 months but I've been led to believe I can just request a retirement date past 20 and it can be approved without any additional paperwork.

E-6 can request 12 months out from desired FLTRES date. E-7+ is 24 months out. It's also subject to your PRD. Sometimes NPC is going to want you to complete your tour before you peace out.

Edit: "additional paperwork" - with less than 20 years on contract, you'd have to extend your enlistment to meet the FLTRES date.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 10, 2018

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah now I have nostalgia cravings for this little guy right here

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Lou Takki posted:

Does anyone else get unreasonably pissed off that the commissary can't loving pay baggers an hourly wage?

Like gently caress off, bagging for tips is so hosed up.

I bagged my own groceries at the Sigonella commissary because gently caress that tipping noise.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey guys I’m trying to punch up my eval as a reservist since I don’t do poo poo.

Volunteered to observe urinalysis for
30 sailors across 4 units.
Resulting in a 100% completion.

Anyway to make this more verbose without getting in trouble?

COMMAND INVOLVED - Volunteered to take on additional responsibilities as urinalysis observer for 30 Sailors across four other reserve units. His efforts helped to ensure 100% compliance with Navy policy while enforcing good order and discipline.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

If you're willing to make the trip, this is the best BBQ I've ever had (ever): http://pecanlodge.com/

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The Perot Museum of Nature and Science is really great. The Sixth Floor Museum is also pretty cool, you can go stand on the "X's" they painted on the street below that marks where the bullets struck.

I'll stress again that the Pecan Lodge is really really good.

I'm from Dallas, so I can probably help if you have any specific questions.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Retirement is still 20 years, regardless of HYT policy changes.

NAVADMIN 307/17 explains that minimum tour lengths are now matched to the OBLISERV (obligated service) required. Used to be TOS (time on station) 12 months minimum for sea duty, 24 for shore duty. Now you have to commit to the full 24/36/48 months or whatever to be able to transfer. Refusal or failure to OBLISERV prior to transfer results in separation. For those eligible to retire, they retire.

Extensions on an enlistment can only be done twice per enlistment, for a maximum aggregate of 23 months. The divide between the two doesn't matter (12 x 11, 3 x 20, 1 x 22 x 1, etc). Reasons to extend can be limited, normally to match EAOS to PRD. There are exceptions to policy available, but they're situational. This applies to AD. USNR rules are different.

Ask all of your random Navy personnel policy questions ITT.

Hail satan

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I've been on Dam Neck for 3 years now and can say that as far as coastal Virginia bases go, it's the best one I've had anything to do with. Once you figure out the timing on the front gate, you're golden. I'm out of my front door and at work in about 13 minutes. It's full of students that don't get in your way. The facilities are decent. It has a private beach.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Senior Enlisted firings will still include photos, NJP results, and lurid details.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

At the place I work, we routinely screen and select "wall walker" semi-autists from the CT community. Mostly CTN and CTR. Put them in a little box with computer and equipment, let them tip and tap away. Very special people.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I'll just post this in every related thread

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Othin posted:

Anyone been to Naples and have any suggestions for places to eat/stuff to do? Only there for a week and not really sure what our schedule will be like so I kind of want to skip learning on my own where the avoid at all costs touristy type stuff is. The week before we'll be in Bahrain (during Ramadan no less :cry:) so drinking will obviously be important.

Thirding go to Rome. You can go there without a plan, wander around, relax, have an espresso at any bar. All the food is good.

Naples sucks and my liberty buddy got robbed there.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Echoing the others to state that a chit doesn't ever stop going up until the CO/OIC approves or disapproves. Everything up to that point is a "recommendation". Your SEL should know that, it's in the loving SORM. Super basic poo poo.

That said, if you're serious about the program, you need to find an LDO mentor. They may be able to advocate on your behalf, especially if your chain of command isn't playing along.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah dudes, check out the suck sick new crest *SCREEEEEE*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Someone has died on a motorcycle at every command I've been stationed, except my current one. We did have a guy that got wrecked on his sport bike by a drunk lady in a big SUV. It's been a year now and he's still regaining all of his motor skills.