Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If they wanted me to stay in they would've given me more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

Reserve update: I've had to do some kind of eval writing every single drill due to evals disappearing, transfers no one knew about, frockings, etc. Maybe it's because it's a big command but there's not enough time in a drill weekend to get all of the bullshit shoveled onto the average sailor done. You'd think the FTS people would help? I don't know.

From my FTS experience they are too busy trying to keep everything from burning down around them to help reservists deal with reservist stuff. If you're in an operational unit then they are likely being given all the equipment that the unit would need when fully mobilized, but then none of the manning to actually maintain that equipment or train people on it. If the reservists are then using that equipment to train with during the drill weekend, they will usually do something to gently caress it up that requires more man hours to be spent fixing it after the drill weekend, because the reservists didn't fix it after they broke it.

Having the FTS there on the drill weekend is just so that they know first hand where they have to start sifting through the ashes to speed up the rebuilding process after the reserve people burn everything down around them.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

KetTarma posted:

Nope. Not their job so they definitely won't.

Most FTS people learn to not touch the stove that is reservist affairs after about the third time of getting burnt after trying to help them or finding that the help they gave out was wasted because most reservists are professionals at being irresponsible or not caring at all.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 9, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The only thing I got out of it was all the email addresses and some instructions on how to do benefits and stuff. It was all information I could've been given over the course of a single day or one big email.

The job interview portion was kind of okay, and I got some actual feedback that I think helped a little bit. I just baby boomered a bunch of college kids out of a part time entry level job as a leasing assistant for an apartment complex that I'm going to be living at while here at school, and was one of the two applicants out of fifteen that got picked for the job. $10/h but the work is poo poo easy and I actually get paid if I have to stay over the planned hours to finish stuff out.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

hogmartin posted:

I got cut loose at noon once (day after duty) and went back to the barracks, completely forgetting that there was a maneuvering watch briefing scheduled for 1430. The feeling of running down to the boat knowing that I was holding up the whole briefing, from the captain on down, was nothing compared to the existential dread of waking up from an ordinary late-for muster boatmare a year after getting out.

Whenever I'm having a Navy dream I always default to "Huh, I thought I was out of the Navy. At least they're paying me for this poo poo that I'm loving up. What're they going to do, kick me out?"

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The only thing I miss besides friends is pretty good pay for a job I can completely gently caress up and/or not do at all and have no risk of being fired as long as nothing expensive blows up and no one dies.

And when that happens I would MAYBE get a slap on the wrist.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Thronde posted:

Perk of not being fleet, and being at a CRS HVA unit: We don't do that poo poo.

Oh man are you at CRS1? That place has had so many goons pass through it.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Do the back in the military dreams stop at any point? I think it's funny that during my dreams I instantly go into a resigned "Do whatever the gently caress you want, I'm not even supposed to be here" mindset and then I just watch people gently caress everything up.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I thought the whole point of most of the impossible tasks in chief initiation is so that they reach out to their fellow selectees and actually network to get things done. Dude doesn't know BM linework, so he should reach out to a BM selectee or a BMC to either learn or get it done.

Also to get poo poo on for a few weeks so that they come back with a koolaid IV jammed firmly in their arm

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

MancXVI posted:

Unrelated: I have been out for three and a half years. I have a degree and a career and not a care in the world now. My IRR time ended in 2016.

At least once a week, I have a dream that I’m either on the ship, late for something, or that some paperwork got hosed up or some legislation passed that results in me having to reenlist and go back to the ship. Usually it ends up with me being bitter as hell during the dream because I thought I finished. I have to wake up before I’m convinced it isn’t real, even though there are ridiculous elements like traveling forward and aft via a water slide on the mess decks. Is this my dream life now?

edit: poo poo, I've posted this before. It hasn't gotten better, I guess

I still have regular bitter dreams about it. Mine are usually me going "I'm not even supposed to be here, you guys do whatever the gently caress you want." I was land navy so most of my dreams are just hanging around our equipment and stuff with the overbearing feeling of everything is broken and they want me to train these people to fix it.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

5 MONTHS TO OUT OF IRR FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Lurks Morington posted:

Oh god, ban me it’s not even fun anymore.

~ me while still in the navy except irl

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I got to live on Coronado because I worked at NASNI and I loving loved it. If I ever become a rich retiree I really want to live there. :smith:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The command I was in was small enough that I'm almost certain that the chiefs were rotating the EPs throughout all of us E5s to try to get everyone promoted as fast as possible. It generally worked too, with most people hitting promotion within 1-2 periods of being eligible.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

YOU GUESSED loving WRONG, IN THE BEES THEY'RE GOING TO SIT AROUND FOR MONTHS ON END CLICKING "OK" ON NEW INTRANET ACCESS ACCOUNTS THEN GO SET UP TENTS AND CONCERTINA WIRE IN THE DIRT AND WOODS

This and they may also get to touch radios sometimes.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

EBB posted:

Why not send the Seabees to the Mexico border? :thunk:

because they're trying to build their poo poo barricade in a timely manner and have it last longer than a week.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Flikken posted:

Then why is the military building anything?

because we're a nation of good ideas

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah but the drug tunnel they built would collapse on them and they'd make no money and have to do training about not building drug tunnels into Mexico :(

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

shovelbum posted:

For your what??

thats the thing you get disability for after getting out right?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

No, I did not shoot the pipe while disassembling a weapon.

Sounds like a misdirection to cover up the fact that you disassembled the pipe. :thunk:

in navy-idiot news, I just took the non-flight portion of the ASTB and got a 65 for my OAR. Going to be putting in for intel and supply corps for when I graduate this summer and aiming for that retirement pension at 42 for being a desk jockey.

Are they as toxic as I know SWOs are, or are those two communities at least a little bit less poo poo than our surface/sub communities?

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 22, 2019

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

next time you have guests over and they see that I'm gonna burst out from whatever hiding spot i can find and tell them "He didn't actually EARN that certificate this man's entire life is fraud" and then they'll all stand up and clap for me and you'll have to leave.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

simplefish posted:

I have certificates from lots of people's mothers on my wall, just hang it

They're all so proud of their handsomest, young man in their lives

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Thronde posted:

I know that even in NECC commands manning is an issue. My unit is currently supplemented by reservists who just came off a mob to HOA/JEB. The experience is handy, and bodies immensely helpful, but it's a bandaid on a bullet hole. My unit is tasked with mission in 3 locations, but our equipment is 2008 original never overhauled, one of my engines reads over 9000 hours and has never been rebuilt.

I regularly buy parts like connectors and whatnot because our OMMSNG and supply system is so hosed and archaic that even if the part was in OMMSNG, we may never see it because it sits on a shelf at group for years. Case in point, we recently received a pallet of trailer tires we ordered 2 years ago. Several other sailors have to do the same to keep the boats and trucks running to complete mission.

The trucks need replacement badly. Massive safety hits like the rear view mirrors on our stake trucks used to tow our boats across town to the launch ramp falling off mid-traffic. But we've been told things will improve in 4-5 years when the PB40s get here. I don't hold my breathe.

We have 24 bodies, OIC included. To move boats to prep for a mission we have to ferry them around town the day before. Then we still muster at 0330 some days to pick up comms, weapons, and ammo from 3 separate locations while trying to launch boats at a public ramp. So with just those 3 must have items the launch team in down 4 bodies. In a perfect navy I would grant this command 40 bodies OIC included, that would allow rotating crews for maintenance and launch/recover use, and allow those that are actually riding the waves and getting beat to poo poo on mission to show up, operate, and roll.

So largely, yeah, manning is a massive issue. As the unit's lone ET, I can't get schools needed to provide the command the support it needs, I get leave approved only if there isn't a mission because no one else can access the comms as easily as I can; which is my own fault because I should train others, I understand. Even training falls to the side in favor of maintenance and putting out the little proverbial (and occasional literal) fires that come with mission days.

The Navy is a wreck. Overspending on useless pet projects, enforcing frankly stupid requirements for advancing sailors (here's looking at you mandatory specialization pins like ESWS AND EXW), burning out reliable sailors while first classes aren't capable of holding gently caress ups accountable for being gently caress ups. The list goes on. My unit bases a good year on having less than 3 major investigations. That's loving pathetic. But the pace and expected scope of work dropped on us doesn't allow us the time to train, maintain, and enact the poo poo needed to actually fix the issues haunting us.

All of this sounds like my experience when I was at CRS1. I was considered a pain in the rear end (and was later appreciated after stuff started getting better) for constantly saying "No," and raising poo poo fits when CRG held onto our stuff or didn't process our requests. I got them in deep poo poo for circumventing them and sending radios straight to Harris and they threw a shitfit and when people started looking deeper they receded back into their holes and started talking nice because they realized any real investigation would end up pointing back to them.

During maintenance inspections I constantly dragged them under the bus with us, etc. etc. I lumped almost our entire inventory into cold storage and focused on training up a strong core of reservists over a one to two year period before we even started getting close to the path of recovery, and I'm almost 99% sure that the dipshit, lazy turd that took my position probably immediately reversed all of that effort.

Command climate was a nightmare with something like half or more of the people there having to go see a therapist to verify that things were just awful and that they weren't going insane, the other half just coped with it by not investing too much care into it.

Hang the people from Group from the castle walls if you need to, because they're not going to do poo poo for you until they know you'll drag their career through the mud just like they're doing to you.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

McNally posted:

Has the Navy explicitly told you not to strip naked, light your pubes on fire, and run through the wardroom while screaming "THERE'S A SKELETON INSIDE ME!!!!!" or is it more implied?

You dumb gently caress.

so we aren't supposed to do that? :thunk:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

ded posted:

Blowjobs for quals is time honored submarine tradition!

and letting women into the sub fleet will ruin it :argh:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

Too bad no M9 questions on your exam though

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

FTS was a soul crushing experience for selecting billets and opportunities to get out of those. I got fully selected for the whitehouse communications agency at one point with welcome aboard packages and what I was going to be doing and everything, and then I got told I wasn't going because they slashed the single FTS billet they had while leaving an unoccupied active duty billet in the same shop.

My chief, my recruiter, and the shop's boss were all sending nastygrams to the detailer and he basically told them to gently caress off. So I didn't get a cool opportunity, my recruiter was embarrassed for indirectly giving me the runaround and ended up emailing me what amounted to a brokenhearted apology, and the shop was left undermanned by three billets in a shop made of five or six people.

You not getting to do anything except work at severely undermanned commands (because they're reserve commands) and going to NOSCs is the FTS fate. It's great if you want to cruise and basically do nothing while no one cares that you're doing nothing, terrible if you want to actually do anything. It's why NOSCs and the reserves are such shitshows.

I didn't know what FTS was two years into being in the Navy because no one knew what it was.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 20, 2020

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wanna know what's even better for readiness? Not having to replace 40+ sailors who become permanently dead and probably 400+ crew who will potentially not be fit for duty for the rest of the deployment, or maybe ever. Shut up, old man

Commoners fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 2, 2020

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah doing a 2k isn't bad at all because you can just go ham the entire time as far as rowing is concerned. I'd definitely need to retrain for it because untrained I can only get like an 8:30 because I haven't seriously touched a C2 in ten years and I gas out, but my old relaxed split when I was actually rowing would put me at 6:40. That maxes out the cardio by a pretty fair margin without beating myself to death.

Fastest I ever ran the 1.5 was an 8:30 and that made me want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

You're talking about PQSes and he's riding a firetruck to go eat dinner. Further evidence of the real winner here.