Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Valley Stared posted:

I'm in for at least a few more years. I've had at least 4 people tell me that I should stay in and really reconsider getting out.

I don't think they fully understand the levels of BS the Navy has subjected me to, especially this past year.

It seems bizarre to me how unawares many people seem. I can't tell if the blinders are intentional or if their experience was just really that different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I'll lat transfer to MCWO and stay for 8 years if I can have an outlook mailbox >50mb

Edit: no I wont

piL fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 22, 2023

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Chronojam posted:

It's not the worst strategy

Vhat are you sinking about?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Eb/N0 or Eb/YES-YES-YES?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Man, flying boats are so drat cool.

Yes they are.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2020/december/give-amphibians-second-look

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/09/shinmaywa-and-ussocom-comment-on-the-us-2-seaplane/

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Crab Dad posted:

For fucks sake how does this benefit the Houthis just randomly terrorize world shipping.

It's important to remember that there isn't ever some singular entity constructing machinations, even in large hierarchical structures that try to focus it (like the DoD), much less within loose confederations such Houthi rebels.

It may be contrary to some big picture Houthi goals since a common purpose will likely start healing the divide that started to form between Saudi Arabia and the US, but for the individual Capo on the ground, the people that do this are go getters, are getting results, and have beaten back the economic militias of the anti-islamist west. To their audience, these victories lend credibility to further victories even if potentially strategically risky, and that yields support from benefactors, advancement among peers, recruits and morale for the Houthi Team.

And this might just look like the best time to take that risk, so it's not being policed. Anti Israel and Anti Hamas sentiments are booming. Intervention in Yemen will read to the American people as American intervention for Israel--or could be bent that way, which can paralyze an administration. Many westerners want to keep their sensitive parts out of that beehive. Despite intense proclamations each way from those within and around government, the current White House team and its leading competitor in 2024 are competing to see who can be the most out of the Middle East, whether it's a pivot to the Pacific or protectionism.

America may be perceived as unlikely as any time in recent memory to seize the initiative here, and a good opportunity to earn some home field wins. I think that could be a dangerous misstep, but I'm not a Houthi terrorist.

piL fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 19, 2023

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Jimmy4400nav posted:

The Seychelles are showing up for the coalition efforts to protect shipping, it would be hilarious if the Egyptians never eventually show.

I'm very curious as to what specifically The Seychelles is contributing to a coalition.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I didn't mean to specifically call out the one ship I linked to, but to the whole list of ships, and was thinking about air defence and strike roles.

If the coalitions efforts include antipiracy efforts, that does make sense.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Slashrat posted:

Radical/Radical - The attacker is a missile defense

Offensive Air Diefense.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Thread frequented by people who have previously or currently do work on the sea and who hadn't just heard of Ansar Allah 4 months ago are not stoked about missiles being fired at random people on the sea or particulary trusting of the relationship between actions and stated objectives of Ansar Allah.

The world wonders.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Cerekk posted:

P.s., you can disapprove of the policies of the government of Israel and still disapprove of indiscriminate violence towards random civilians, in the same way you can disapprove of the policies of the government of the United States and still disapprove of the Oklahoma City bombing.

This is correct. To support my statement earlier with less snark, I think the audience of this thread in particular is going to be uniquely sensitive to a few factors:

- What happens to Sailors if indiscriminate attacks are worldwide accepted as an appropriate strategy to oppose nearby wrongs? Will a genocide in China or Burma permit Malaysian Non State Actors to start taking swipes at shipping in Malacca? Should uninvolved Sailors die as protest to a South American flare up if that pops off and becomes particularly horrific?

- The downstream effects of inflation and trade cost: increased food prices lead to decreased food availability. The threat of economic impacts preventing war goes away when economic impacts hit.

- Non fans of Saudi Arabia were happy that the US resisted fighting in Saudi wars for a few years and rising anti Israeli government sentiments building, but sees that it would be incomprehensible for the US to not respond to indiscriminate attacks on shipping as they have for decades--meaning that despite growing sentiments, the US has been backed into a corner of providing greater support to Saudi Arabia.

- Middle East watchers went through a similar hemming and hawing three years ago when the Biden Administration said they would stop fighting UAE/KSA's wars for them and had to consider what happens when they don't materially oppose child soldiers, arbitrary arrests, and guardianship laws.

To me, it makes sense for GIP and the Navy Thread to be, overall, less supportive of the Houthi methods than people who aren't terribly involved in the considerations listed above.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’m not justifying their actions, I’m asking people to stop repeating what seems to me to be pretty naked racist bullshit and to take seriously that we are a significant party to ongoing and recent genocides in the region.

Really, please, I’m asking you to take what I’m saying seriously and in good faith. I know my first response was a bit harsh and I apologize, but I’m asking you to engage with what I’m actually saying.

I engaged with you in good faith. As stated above, I disagree with Houthi maritime strike policy because it:

- Sets precedent dangerous for those who work on the sea.

- Has economic effects with the potential to motivate further violence and cause undesered suffering way beyond the current sphere without being likely to motivate the change it aims to.

- Draws specific actions commiserate with US policy across decades that are easy to anticipate, driving the US to work closely with the entities it hopes to somehow separate with its violence.

- and also, I disagree with Houthi policies regarding journalism, women's rights, child soldiers, moral laws and targeted killings, which makes it difficult to see it as a negative if their position is made less stable.

Are any of the above reasons naked racist bullshit? Please let me know, because I do actually endeavor to avoid naked racist bullshit. Thank you.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

THEY SAID NOT TO gently caress THE STUDENTS, I DIDN'T gently caress THE STUDENTS.

GAWD.

All the corpshorses and all the corpsmen couldn't put the students back together again.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Crab Dad posted:

https://imgur.com/a/YRg1rJG

Without a doubt the best feeling thing I’ve done for another sailor.

Hell yeah :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Cerekk posted:

Selection messages are on the ALNAV page https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/References/Messages/ALNAV-2024/

Most recent is https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Messages/ALNAV/ALN2024/ALN24032.txt?ver=4wJlY4zHfhnuW0p-iQ5qoA%3d%3d

Confirmation/date of rank messages are on the NAVADMIN page https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/References/Messages/NAVADMIN-2024/

Most recent is https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Messages/NAVADMIN/NAV2024/NAV24059.txt?ver=3Ofo3abK-YKJDw-8S76u5Q%3d%3d

The people selected this week still have to go through senate confirmation and wait for date of rank; most of them will put it on April 1 2025.

There's at least one good CO on there.

There's also an EDO I don't know soon to be named Captain Kolbold which sounds like a dungeons and dragons themed superhero.