Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

In time you will become fat. So it's all good.

Lol.. “will” I quit dipping and hurt my back in the same year. Hello extra 50lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Look you want nuclear powered ships? This is the price you have to pay for nuclear power.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

the vast, vast majority of watercraft are barely functional and crewed by people with only a bare minimum of understanding of what they're doing..

The jokes write themselves folks.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Superintendents house at usna is still named after the confederate captain of the former USS Merrimack who sailed it out of Hampton roads and sank two US Navy ships. Buchanan would have been in command for the famous duel against the USS Monitor had he not been exposed on deck shooting at American sailors with a carbine when he got shot in the leg by a marine.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I always wondered about that one-winged insignia. Are they supposed to wear it centered, or deliberately off-center

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Having never served on a carrier, I can't confirm.

But I've always been told the most accurate portrayal of life on a CVN is the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica. :v:

Are we counting the PBS mini series where the sexual harrassment PO gets busted for frat and that poor doughy seaman gets his heart broken by the teenage girl he met at the drive through?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, there are things on there that do burn hot enough to melt steel. There will be metal fires, and those may be part of the reason this got out of control. If you have a delta fire raging and cannot smother it or get it overboard, you will be hosed.

When you have an interior space that could have a class delta fire, a metal shop or something? Do you have to make a DC plan to get the material out and up and over the side? How does that work?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Even if I had just seen the pictures and not heard first and secondhand accounts of the situation from this thread, I would still probably find his statement intentionally naive with the understanding that the next statement will be "well, we didn't have all of the information at that time."

I have to imagine that he thought his audience for that comment was the families looking for news about their sailors and that he wanted to give a chin up and firm resolve kind of comment.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

‘24 is finally getting a real plebe summer

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

After graduating from food stamps I was just grateful to have three meals a day

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

piL posted:

The trick is to get into QA at one of those factories.

Look bud, you’re doing that all wrong. Scoot over and let me show you how it’s done.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It depends on the length, really. If you're UA for missing duty because you overslept or something, you'll probably just get chewed out by your chief and given extra duty days as a punishment if it's not a repeat offense. If you repeatedly miss duty, or you gently caress off for a week that's gonna be more serious, so your marine buddy probably got a UCMJ Article 15 non-judicial punishment (NJP; in the Navy it's also called Captain's Mast or CO's Mast, I think the Marines just call it an Article 15 or NJP). That's a more formal process where you go in front of the CO and get charged with various UCMJ violations and the CO decides if you're guilty, and if so, what punishment you get, which can include loss of rank. Even for that they're probably not going to kick you out, but it's not going to be good for your long term career prospects.

And if you go UA for more than 29 days, you get listed as a deserter and the command can put out a warrant for your arrest. That's when you get into court martial territory.

If your character gets his plans derailed for going UA, that's basically painting him as a gently caress up who torpedoes his own ambitions by being dumb. And worse, it's a really mundane, boring kind of dumb. It's not much different from being fired for missing too many shifts at McDonald's. If that's what you're going for, I'd say it works great. If you want something a little more tragic or sympathetic you'll want a different reason.

I always wondered about the arrest thing. Is the 30 days thing requirement to haul some dude in? Like if seaman schmuckatelli lives off base says gently caress you chief I’m not coming in to work so I can play Xbox, does the command have to wait 30 days before they can send the civilian authority to get him?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cerekk posted:

we had a SEAL detachment onboard for one mission and their OIC started 90% of his stories with "When I was in the NFL..."

he was on a practice squad for part of one season

I had a boss who “played for the rangers” (...single a affiliate one summer)

Is Great Lakes important to the story for some reason? I’m trying to put together a reason this guy would be there at all.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

This completely hosed me because I got out at Great Lakes and my HOR was southeastern Wisconsin.

I grew up in Hawaii but enlisted from California. I got hosed both by not getting my poo poo shipped home when I got out but also by having to pay Hawaii state income tax.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

lightpole posted:

That was before carrier supremacy and I thought the German ships were heavier than the British. If they had been able to operate in an area beyond shore based aircraft they would have slaughtered merchantmen.

It was after carrier supremacy, Graf Spree just didn’t know it yet. TBF the British didn’t either. Just ask the prince of Wales and the repulse.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Repulse and Prince of Wales weren't sunk by carrier aircraft and until late in the war there weren't enough carriers to cover every square mile of ocean with air cover, so there was a place for surface raiders in naval tactics straight through until almost the end of the war.

They were sunk by naval aircraft from a land base three days after Pearl Harbor but ok fine. Yes it’s remarkable how far the surface raiders got, but intimately they were a waste of men and material compared to submarines of all navies. The Germans knew they couldn’t compete on the surface against the Royal Navy both because of treaty and economy, but they built big dick swinging surface ships anyway because that’s what a navy was back then.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because it's the best use of a loving Lt Col staff officer to shovel sand in bags

Sounds like the best use for them tbh

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

“Cmdr. Azzarello was relieved due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command. No one that cool could possibly be a CO. “

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I almost want to catch it again to experience the gel cream. It was like the most satisfying scratch of an itch I’ve ever experienced in my life.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The synthetic line snapback video still haunts my dreams all these years later.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

orange juche posted:

I'm pretty sure someone's written a pulp mil-scifi book involving this

It has a 99.999...% chance to be bad

I want nothing short of Star Blazers

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

we live in a cool era where Eisenhower would be called unpatriotic by these loving psychos

They literally did though. Eisenhower was accused of being a communist stooge by the John Birch society.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Cargo cult patriotism seems to be more of a thing these days.

California has a thing where you can get “veteran” on your drivers license in the corner i the same way you might see organ donor. It makes me uncomfortable but I want my discount at Lowe’s.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Children of a zero percent or more rated veteran get their tuition waived at all CA public colleges and universities as long as they don't have income above the national poverty level (which is easy for a full time student). I don't have GI Bill because Annapolis didn't qualify at the time.

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/pages/college-fee-waiver.aspx

The zero percent is news to me. I thought it was 30% or higher

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My first counseling chit was for sexually harassing a usmma cadet. Not super proud of that but it shook some of the bro out of me I think.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The main problem with academies is they’re full of the kind of people who wanted to go to academies.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’m shocked. Shocked, I say, that this guy lost his clearance.

quote:

He said instead, "we need to fight back, but with smarter, more effective means," including "guerilla-style methods of resistance." But Miller said he wasn't referring to using violent means.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

lol if youre still in

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Godholio posted:

Reminder that Constitution is the only active USN ship to have sunk an enemy in combat.

The Greeneville was just fighting the last war

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Before I enlisted, i was working at a kinkos on the graveyard shift. My recruiter told me “you know, we have printers and copiers in the navy. We could get you a job working on those.” I always thought he was just blowing smoke up my rear end.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

:perfect:

Waikiki is pretty nice, I'm pretty biased towards Lanikai though since it was a quick hop over from Kbay whenever our squadron detted out there.

Waimanalo Beach is probably my favorite. Plate lunch at kenekes or waiahole poi factory. Though being haole as all hell I’d probably live in lanikai if I ever win the lottery.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Living on Oahu with my employees being from Japan was like a fuckin post-doc course in racsim

Took me a while to see this objectively growing up there but once you see how the character of racism follows the plantation structure, it’s harder to see racism as a aspect of culture instead of labor. For instance, wasp plantation owners would change their source countries for labor intentionally to prevent workers from organizing and brought in a white but not really “white” group Portugal to be the overseers. Generations later those structures still show up in the culture.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

I would not have left PSD without a signed DD214. The promise of one magically down the line does not thrill

This. What are you going to do if it’s wrong when you’re receive it in six months and you live nowhere near a base? Raise a fuss.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

feel free to piss people off because gently caress every idiot that's still in the military, you gotta get what you need.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

His assignment was overseeing electronic equipment associated with weapons such as missiles and torpedoes.

TM is the dumbest rating.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bring it back

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Like what’s the problem with the tweet? I’m clearly missing come context here.

Cynicism is the same as criticism in the eyes of some rear end in a top hat. And that rear end in a top hat will always see your tweet. So never real name tweet poo poo.

Thou shalt not criticize, but obey is seared on my soul forever.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rename it the USS Red Hill

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

My CMC said after I got back to my command after beating my charges that he would follow my transfers everywhere and make sure my every new command knew about me, even after he's retired. He was still somehow surprised when I told him I was getting out.

Did you gently caress his daughter?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Maybe a list of the chillest ratings would be helpful. I was a Coner ET and it was ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

slurm posted:

Also most things on a ship can be identified by taste and are, whether voluntarily or not.

Yep, that is definitely senior chiefs rear end in a top hat.