Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My understanding is that there is no FC reserve, if you get out as an FC, you have to go back to Great Mistakes to do the last 9 weeks of ET A school to get reclassed ET.

That's odd. I cross rated from aviation TO FC about a year ago. 10 years as a PO2, and made First on my first FC exam.

As for what the POINT of FCs in the Reserve is? No clue. I'm holding an EM's billet in SurgeMain. There were a couple of E1 and E2 Reserve affiliates in my A school class, and nobody anywhere could tell us what our reserve time was going to look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I did paper travel claims for everything until it was specifically illegal.

The first time I had to do DTS, I just called the help desk and had them hand-walk me through the procedure once.

Now it's just like paper travel claims: super easy 'cause I've done it a few times.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I think the worst GTCC thing is with rental cars. I'm up on AT in the Seattle area now, and the rental car company told me "any tolls you incur will be billed to the card on file about 45 days after you return the car." So, worst case is that I liquidate my travel claim, split disbursement to the GTCC, get my 30-days-later CYA statement saying "0 balance" on it, and three months later be on the 90-day delinquent list for $8 in tolls.

Solution: don't go over any toll bridges, I guess.

Also, my GTCC expired at the beginning of the month and they sent it to my old address, even though I'd updated my address on Citi's website (in October, even). I got to play "guess the new expiry" on the phone with SATO on Friday before flying out on Saturday. Good times.

While we're bitching about DTS, we had a guy with funded tickets and hotel get CANXd from his AT because he didn't have a DTS profile. His orders got approved and everything, and he just called the SATO number on Friday and got everything set up. Pretty studious for an E3 about two months out of boot. He comes to Drill on Saturday (leaving for AT on Sunday) to have the rug pulled out from under him. I tried to reassure him that everything would be fine and he'd just do a paper travel claim once he got back, but it was not to be. Had to call his job and cancel his time off, everything. He's fairly pissed at the Navy now. I can't say I blame him much, either. The whole stick-in-rear end attitude about all of this and the complete unwillingness to perform the alternate procedure just because "it's more paperwork" really puts a bad taste in my mouth, and a bad shine on the Navy in the eyes of new sailors.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Thronde posted:

Here in VA at Little Creek for the most of May for school. Anything I should definitely see or do for my first time in the VA?

Great Dismal Swamp for walking around in the worldwide orignator of cholera and probably the Venus Flytrap.

Hit up the Aquarium and the Zoo, both are fantastic and should still give pretty deep military discounts.

Go down to Nauticus and see the USS Wisconsin. If all you want is to walk around the battleship, it's free. There's a nifty memorial park down there, too, as well as some plaques about the first battle of the ironclads that happened within sight.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

It's is. People's at orders are getting cancelled left and right, forcing them to do at locally. This might be part for the course though, I've only been in the reserves for a year.

No, this is a problem that's been getting worse every year. Admittedly, I've only been reserves for five years, but it's bad now. First few ATs, I got 21 days AT, 7 days IDTT no problem. Then 21 AT was a problem, so 14AT, 14 IDTT (this is better). This year, it was beg and plead for 28 days of ANYTHING, and accept 14 AT and 7 EAT and I had better like it. IDTT is right out. People with 4th quarter ATs are sucking hard.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

That to me reads as a way to gently caress over people on the eval side who 'choose' not to go.

Now make warfare pins voluntary, too, and we get to actually select people who genuinely give a care.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sounds like a great time to drink the radar cooling water. That, or drink the stuff in the bottoms of the -40 air traps.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Laranzu posted:

"GPS is down! Does anyone know how to navigate?"

*Crickets*

"Find me some nerd loving CT or nuke who does"

I found a sextant on our "museum shelf" at the NOSC. I took it back to the classroom so QM1 could lead some old-timey instruction. He said "I know what that thing is, but not what it's called or how to use it." Yay naval reserve.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LordNad posted:

Ah I see the problem now

Having worked both sides of this fence, yeah, contract maintenance is more expensive because those guys won't risk potentially losing their job for doing something out of compliance. All maintainers know "what will fly," but the active duty guys will say "Sir, this thing is held together with safety wire and speed tape. She'll get you there, but be careful" while contractors will say "I don't have the parts to complete this task. The aircraft is hard down." They then won't budge. Because the AD guys are right 95% of the time, but when you're sending 70 jets somewhere, 95% right means that there's even odds one will fail, and now your not-congresionally-guaranteed-job is on the line.

Boon posted:

.... Maybe they'll luck into effective minesweeps....

Every ship is a minesweeper once. More than once if designed well for it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Taking Business Best Practices is a wonderful way to run a military!

The whole organizational/intermediate/depot-level maintenance thing is supposed to keep a pool of ready spares in the local area. The more commonly broken a repairable part is, the more of them are going to be at your intermediate maintenance shop. Unless the part is under warranty, in which case the manufacturer has all the parts and can take an unlimited amount of time to repair them.

Running a military flight program like a part 91 flight school may be far far far cheaper, but it directly leads to situations where the entire fleet is down for the same part being broken.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It's also Norfolk Naval Shipyard, which is a whole other onion-layer bureaucratic nightmare of competing agencies, military and civilian. I could totally see something like this going under everyone's radar at NNSY.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, for it to be true you'd have to have a command triad more concerned with sweeping and high dust than basic safety and mission accomplishment.

I cannot tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LingcodKilla posted:

Tell your fellow 'bees that buying sex slaves is not cool.

Reinforce the point that animals aren't sex slaves under the UCMJ, but are still not cool to buy to use as sex slaves.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, I'm now officially a Reserve Career Counselor. Worst AT ever. No per diem.

The records review was a surprisingly-not-at-all-surprising cold appraisal of the fact that yes, every NOSC I've ever been to has screwed up my record. Missing evals, missing awards, double eval overlap, missing NECs, missing education, etc etc.

But now I have The Juice. All it took was six SAAR-Ns and approval from the NOSC SEL and XO.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

There's also the nonzero possibility that he's exactly the type of person that fits in perfectly as a nuke, for whom this life is not stressful.

A robot or something. Idunno, not a human, that's for sure.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jimmy4400nav posted:

For skipping the PRT next cycle does that happen automatically if you made the right score or do you have to get cleared by someone first? Wanted to make sure I was reading BUPERS right.

It's an entry in PRIMS, and you just gotta pass the BCA.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Laranzu posted:

I generally gave the fatties whatever numbers they needed as long as they tried.

If they flat out quit or gave up whatever man I'm not going to force you to stay in.

Our CO told us "don't self-select" for separation. Our CFL did his best to make sure everyone passed. Then we got a guy who walked for the mile and failed. Ok, called a bad day, no problem. Come back in six weeks and retake. No harm, no foul. Six weeks later, walked the mile and failed again. Ok. We gave you six weeks to prepare and you told us to screw ourselves; ADSEP for you for PFA failures. He calls JAG, and now there's a NAVADMIN. We're going to have to find something else to separate him for now.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Red Crown posted:

There are a surprising amount of awesome (but not at all secret) things in buildings where no cameras are allowed, this unfortunately was one of them.

The art on the walls of reactor rooms is pretty awesome.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

CMD598 posted:

:hfive:

What kind though?

If there's one thing the Navy has taught me: you can take anyone with a 40 ASVAB and give them sufficient manuals and procedures to follow that (assuming they read and give a care) they will perform literally any job satisfactorily.

Literally any job. It doesn't matter what your rate/designator is or was, you can do EVERY job in the Navy to some minimum standard.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrMojok posted:

I’ll probably get run out of the thread for this but can I be the inaugural member of the Marine Det onboard?

You'll only have yourself to stand in line with, and nobody to spot you.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Boon posted:

Can someone point me to the regs regarding reenlistment?

I have been asked to reenlist one of my reserve sailors this weekend but with the shutdown that has been thrown into disarray. I want to know what my options are so that I can provide them to him.

MILPERSMAN 1160

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Got anthrax, no smallpox.

I did however get all my childhood vaccinations a second time because I didn't know I needed my medical records for boot camp. Could be why I find repetitive behavior so calming

When I reaffiliated with the reserves, my medical record got sent hard-copy to my NOSC. Someone did something when entering immunization records, because come pre-deployment, they marked me off for anthrax and smallpox, even though I'd never had either.

In the record, I'm listed as having "ANTHRAX BOOSTER 3 of 5" as my only shot in the anthrax series, and apparently NMPS thinks that's good enough. Also, "SMALLPOX ADMINISTERED" with no dates or lot numbers (or visible scar) is good enough to get sent into a warzone.

But I got typhoid again, and the live typhod in phenol messes me up for a week after....

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

You could do what all of my shithead E5s do and send me garbage which means I get to spend hours nostradamusing some stuff up.

Currently in the process of doing this now.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I Am Not A PS, but you can usually extend a shore tour if you intend to separate prior to the minimum service requirement that another PCS would entail (i.e. they're not going to PCS you just to have you retire six months later). I don't know how far you can press that though, like if you were trying for two more years in your current tour.

As I understand it, you can extend a maximum of twice on an enlistment, for a maximum of 23 months, with no more than 12 months(?) on a single extension. Basically, if you need two more years do do something re-enlist for that. Obvs, you can't re-enlist past your 20, unless you don't have enough years of qualifying service for some reason (break in service, reserves), which is why HYT is 22.

If you have 20 years of qualifying service, you can retire. If you're an E-6 with 22 years of service and only 19 of them are qualified retirement years, then you can submit a HYT waiver. Or drill in the reserve VTU (volunteer training unit) where you show up in uniform, get retirement points, and don't get paid for it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

maffew buildings posted:

How many times have I told you your child isn't a pet???

If it's got a SSN, it's a dependent, right?

Wait, are we talking dogs or kids, again? Foreign tax fraud is so complicated anymore.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

orange juche posted:

Yes you can but then you miss out on the wonderful experience that is the US Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmGuy0jievs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mpve4VvJV0

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

M_Gargantua posted:

enlisting is the start of a string of bad choices

After five or six bases, you really get to appreciate the little things. NS Jax traffic uses clean fishhooks to rip off your eyelids, but NAS Jax uses rusty ones, for example.

Then you go to an Air Force Base.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Got a call last month from the ESO.
"Hey PO1, didn't see you at the exam Sunday, what's up? You were at drill."
"Um yeah, I wasn't eligible. I've only been PO1 for a year."
"Oh, we ordered a test for you. What gives?"
"I was tryin to take it early for LDO?"
"Oh, ok, come by the NOSC and take it tomorrow."
"...."

So I read the non-classified parts of my BIBs and take the test.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, another call from the ESO.
"Hey PO1, congrats, you passed your exam. Get your LDO package ready."
"Cool beans."

Then Sunday at drill, the NOSC Chief pulls me aside. "Hey PO1, according to this list you were (somehow) actually Chief's Board eligible, and you passed. Get a Chief's Package ready. Deadline is 31APR."

Great, I guess? I'm only missing one eval? I was expecting to have to get this all straightened out by October, not in the next two weeks.

Then yesterday, my medical rep says "we just put your LOD on hold so you can go on orders in May and June. Good luck!"

Jeeez guys, it's not like my job needs more than 10 days notice that I'm not going to be there for MONTHS. (Also not like my blown-out-on-AT shoulder doesn't always hurt)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nick Soapdish posted:

Information Warfare Marines are cool and good. All other Marines just stood in lines an hour before chow stared, filled up the gym constantly, and hosed under HMMWVs. 1/10 would not recommend Gator Navy.

From my very limited time in the same place with Marines, if you got more than four people standing somewhere, Marines would start forming a line behind you. They'll stand in line for no reason.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Two weeks of AT in glorious Bremerton.

The weather here is perfect.

I didn't have time to pack fishing poles. I wonder if the MWR rents.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Anybody have experience in Norfolk living in Ghent or downtown? Since Norfolk is the heart of Navydom on Earth, I figure the odds are pretty good. I'm moving there this summer and looking at apartments in those areas. Currently leaning towards downtown, there are some nice places available for single O3 bucks. Or O4 bucks, depending how the board goes this month.

e: poms for the pom God

My friend lived in Ghent area when he was stationed there as an O2/O3. Affordable, easy walking to pretty much everything. I think he was in Pembroke Towers or Hague Towers or one of those. Anything in that area is going to be more expensive than most anywhere in Norfolk, but it was SUPER convenient to hit up bars and shopping and Nauticus and places like that. I haven't been over there in a couple of years though, and last time I was, Waterside was headed downhill and kinda pulling the area with it.

In other news: Shore Duty West Coast Submariners are remarkably chill (for submariners). The weather and scenery in Bangor is absolutely top notch.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LingcodKilla posted:

It really is. Did you try out the lakes on base for fishing?

I'm goin tomorrow, with MWR rented poles. I'm thinking of doing "worm on hook under bobber." What kind of fish can I expect to catch.

What kind of tackle do I need, in general? For what fish? The MWR page says "the lake is stocked twice a year" but not with what. I assume some flavor of trout.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ManMythLegend posted:

Leave Naples and go anywhere else. Sorrento is beautiful.

Concur. Take the train down the Amalfi coast. Get off anywhere.

I strongly recommend you walk into literally any restaurant anywhere and get the special with the house red. If they ask if you want lemoncello for dessert, yes; they probably made it in the back room.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

One could only hope to achieve such a lofty position.

Realchat: Don't let the AD guys shelve you as a reservist. You were AD for 10 years, let them know you know stuff about stuff and can actually do things. Absolutely be proactive on your AT, and you'll get things accomplished and feel worthwhile.

If that doesn't happen, then good news: you never have to go back there, and you can publicly shame them without fear of repercussions. It's not like they're writing your evals.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Fangthane posted:

I just need to rant for a second.

I'm bitching like some seaman right now. Maybe I had it real good in the 10 years I was active, I don't know. But this is the most rear end-backwards place I've ever been in. It's stressing me the gently caress out and I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Glad to hear it. Your NOSC sucks, and that's typical. The US Navy does not allow its best and brightest into NOSC shore duty. How many DCs do you have doing IT work? Is a YN, PN, or LS your admin LPO? Do you have any career-counselor trained personnel attached to your NOSC or unit? CFL? Pick the worst answers to any of these questions, then just wait six months and the staffing will change.

Right now, you're in a bad spot, but it's not your fault. The way to get some relief is to realize that 1) this isn't your job, and you can let it safely slide with no repercussions. If you have 10 years active in, you know what you REALLY need to do to survive. The reserves aren't active duty by any stretch. 2) learn how to do your job to the best of your own satisfaction at your own pace. Right now, I hear you champing at the bit because people are asking you to do things you don't have training on. That's just fine; do the YN books on NKO on your own time at your own pace. That'll teach you some stuff. Any time you don't know how to do something, research it and its instructions, then do it literally verbatim to the instruction. You will have done it wrong. This is a learning opportunity. You just say "I did it in accordance with OPNAV/NAVINST/NAVADMIN XXX.X(rev J)" and then the person who knows better than you teaches you how to do it right. This is much like the internet: nobody will tell you how to do it, but they'll tell you how you're wrong. 3) If you feel strongly that you're right, stick up for yourself. Do everything important by email. This is so you don't forget this is so you have proof when someone's screwing you later, and you can hold their face to the fire for it..

You will get tasked with doing things you don't know how to do, with no training, and then get crapped on for screwing it up. That's cool. You do the best you can, or at least the best you want to do, or possibly the best you're willing to make time for. The whole system is penalty-free. You keep doing PFAs, attending drills, and not failing your exams and they can't kick you out! Good luck, and godspeed.

Figure out how to get a 45-day AT/EAT/IDTT and only come to the drill center four periods per year (two exams, two PFAs).

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

You dumbshit, did you murder someone for their 9502? I had guys like you when I was at FC a and they all ended up with p's helping the maintenance guys. Like we had to fire retired master chief's for saying things similar, if that student puts it on a critique and the co sees it you're hosed lmao.

When I went through FC "A" a couple years back, I thought the kid gloves were on the whole time. I had to tell students in the smoke pit that it's not hazing when you get room inspections every day because you keep failing room inspections.

If a behaviour shows a pattern, that's one thing. Slipping up and calling something "retarded" and being asked not to then never doing it again? Yeah, people make mistakes and (theoretically) learn from them. Maybe the armed services wouldn't have such a manning problem if they stopped kicking out people who are actually doing their jobs and making mistakes thereby destroying motivation and morale and encouraging bare-minimum compliance and keep-your-head-down mentality.

Note specifically that I want tolerance for on-the-job human errors. If you get a DUI? Yeah, that's still a thing you should get ruined for, as well as drug stuff.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

King of Bees posted:

My perm limdu was a granted request "to achieve 20 year mark" and retire normally after a med board found me unfit to deploy any more. It's a thing you can request when you have over 18 years and the med board puts you on the permanent disability retirement list. (I've been told you can also request 75 vice 50% pension because who's to say you couldn't have done the 30 years if the Navy hadn't hosed you up. So I'm researching that) For important people and specialists it's probably a duty status for the needs of the Navy and at that level no one gives a poo poo about your fitness.

We have a reserve E-5 whose EAOS was 19yr 10mos (early next year). He hurt himself in his civilian job and got put NPQ. They weren't going to let him extend the extra two months to get his 20. His PRD is this month, and we are FIGHTING the detailer to let him extend for the six months he needs to get his 20 and depart. Because he's a Seabee filling a non-seabee rate, their detailers are forcing all seabees back into their community for lack of manpower. We're trying to use logic and common sense to not steal a billet from someone who actually wants to fill one instead of just coming to drill twelve more times and retire.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Norfolk commissary was slammed this afternoon. Fortunately the package store had no line so I grabbed a case of water along with some booze.

This is pro-level hurricane planning.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m sorry but it’s just not up to my usual all you can eat seafood buffet at the Sheraton on Waikiki beach. I’m gonna have to lodge a complaint somewhere.

Make sure to route it up an Air Force Reserve chain and you'll get hazard pay because there's no golf course. Hardships man, the Air Force knows them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

What's preventing the US from putting an MLRS launcher and a stack of reloads on the deck of an AOE and using that for shore bombardment? Have an AEGIS air-defense picket ship nearby to protect that asset, and win?

Take something like a Nansen-class Frigate or that Spanish AEGIS frigate, load it with AA/ASW in the VLS, then have it protect the modern-day bomb ketch.