Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I still maintain that they never explicitly told me not to take my gun apart on watch.
This. This right here is why we're treated like loving infants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Madurai posted:

Mentioned over in current events, but Very Stable Genius Alert:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1133882529335980032
They gave all personnel not directly participating in the visit the day off and basically told us to stay in your home/the gently caress away from base. 4-day weekend during my AT :toot:

Does anyone have experience with or can point me toward the regs governing a spouse staying in my hotel room during an AT or TDY? I looked through the JTR but didn't see anything. I assume it would definitely be prohibited if the room rate was higher for 2 guests vs. 1, but I couldn't locate any specifics.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 30, 2019

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

I took my wife to Hawaii twice for AT. Command found out and let me off early on a Friday.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've had my wife visit during AT in Washington DC, ADT in Rhode Island, and TDY in Norfolk. Nobody said anything.

How'd you handle the price differential for 1 lodger vs. 2 in DTS? (was there a difference?)

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 30, 2019

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

King of Bees posted:

First appointment for my VA rating is a general exam and.....the VA outsourced it to a loving chiropractor out in town instead of a Dr at the VA clinic down the road. Lol. Just lol all day everyday.
They had me drive 2 hours away to a Walmart for my optical exam.

There are no less than 3 Walmarts in the town I live in, each one has a vision center :iiam:

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

DTS voucher for last month's AT routed successfully through my NOSC, then was rejected by wherever it goes after that for payment, SABRS maybe? Rejection email I got just said "Insufficient Funds at Appropriation Level / Living Lapsed Appropriation".

All I could get outta the NOSC travel po over the phone was "DTS is having issues" and confirmed that yes, I'm gonna have to come out of pocket 3 grand to cover my travel card balance due in 10 days if I don't want late fees or interest charges.

gently caress me I'm still in.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I'm not pleased about having to do it, but I can come up with 3k to pay off the card for now without putting a strain on day to day finances.

Is there a realistically nonzero chance that I pay this and then DTS never unfucks the problem and I never get paid the 3k for expenses + 2k per diem from my completed orders?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

What do you guys do for healthcare after peacing out entirely? $210/mo family Tricare coverage is literally the singular reason I still pretend I'm in the Navy for 38 days a year.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Part of the answer would also depend on how many people you have, what your income level is, etc.... I would imagine you are working now, aside from the reserves? Does your employment offer any healthcare coverage? I imagine you elected against it, if you are going tri-care. If you are in relatively good health and your occupation offers a Health Savings Account that is probably a better option. Give us a few more specifics/details of the situation and perhaps we can figure out some advice that would fit your situation?
I'm not working now, wife is and her employer's insurance is like 3x the premium for less coverage. I'm graduating in the spring with a CS bachelor's, so hopefully on the upper end of the employability spectrum. I'm in good health, wife has chronic issues and we have a kid.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Tricare Reserves has the ~$210/mo premium, and some kind of cost-sharing or copay structure each time you are seen or treated.

After you've paid up to your family cost-sharing cap for the year which is something like $1100, you don't come further out of pocket for anything but monthly premiums. We've hit this cap about 2/3 of the way through the year, every year since I've been a reservist. So our max annual medical expenses are something like ballpark $3600 and as much as I dislike the inconvenience of still technically being a sailor, I expect that will be tough to beat in a private plan.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

NOSC is cracking down on IDT reschedule requests. They're now apparently being categorically denied without a Navy-related justification, where before they didn't give a poo poo and almost always approved them.

Small fries compared to the problems faced on AD, but still a nice little reminder why "gently caress you if you're still in" is a thing.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I feel like we owe the American taxpayer a huge explanation and loving apology.
Reserves.txt

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone that identifies themself as "<Rank> ret." is just bound to be a tool

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

By the time I get out I will have been in for 9 years. I'm looking for the healthcare, and to make an extra k on my retirement.
I think you should take a close look at a reserves retirement calculator.. 9 years might get you slightly more than 1k monthly total, in 2019 dollars, and it won't start until your mid/late 50s. By all means do it for the Tricare if you don't have a better healthcare option -- it's great -- but reserves pension is a joke unless you do a pile of active time/mobilizations beyond your minimum drilling requirements at which point why not just be AD.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Navy Thread: expecting basic competence is a bit much

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Nothing, but if you have a good civilian job why the hell would you join the reserves?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Idk man, I'm not denying that TRS is great insurance, but I'm graduating after spring semester and planning to dip out the reserves just as soon as I can get on a decent employer health plan. Will it be more expensive? Most likely. Will it be worth it to no longer have to sacrifice my free time to deal with the headache of the reserves? Absolutely.

FTN

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

fair enough. I just recall being a high risk pregnancy and being told they didn't give appointments until mid second trimester, so here's some prenatal pills you could have bought over the counter. Have a nice day.
Are you talking Tricare Reserves Select, or Tricare Prime? Because despite the misleading naming scheme, they are very different animals. TRS actually results in much better medical care in my experience. You can go out to any civilian provider without getting your visit pre-approved, and you aren't forced to see "doctors" in military clinics.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 20, 2019

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Let the reserves take this summer off.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m still getting payed to sit here and do nothing.
Reserves.txt

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I'm so, so sorry if you're still in but goddamn if it doesn't warm my cockles to watch this kind of bullshit unfold from the right side of a DD-214

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What a bunch of nerds loving lol.

Why do nerds love swords?
Anime fantasies have ruined hearts and minds

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

fuuuuuuuuuck you if you're still in

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

e: nm

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 9, 2021

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You wouldn't happen to know the name of the turtle neck would you or how I might be able to buy one online? I obviously can no longer get to a NEX.

https://www.mynavyexchange.com/navy-nwu-mock-turtleneck/12840623
these things own and I still wear mine in winter
e: hm I guess you can buy stuff from the NEX website after separating, but not uniform items?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 26, 2021

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

My one beer day was O'douls for us enlisted pukes. Was extra lovely having been one of the LS crew to see and onload the pallets of MGD bound for the wardroom.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I was in the Navy
A great place to be from, a goddamn awful place to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

The best bonus the navy ever offered is an all-expenses paid STEM degree once you gtfo after 4 and never look back