Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
New year, new thread, new commander in chief, same sailors, and gently caress you if you're still in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm hoping Sir Lucius will link to the reddit thread.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&pagenumber=2138&perpage=40#post468070727

So on the one hand pointless military worship and jingoism are awful, but on the other hand you've got people like this.

Reserve update: I've had to do some kind of eval writing every single drill due to evals disappearing, transfers no one knew about, frockings, etc. Maybe it's because it's a big command but there's not enough time in a drill weekend to get all of the bullshit shoveled onto the average sailor done. You'd think the FTS people would help? I don't know.

Better hope you have ATP funding.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dingleberry posted:

Im thinking this in baby blue with dixie cups...

Pls stop posting pics from my streetwear blog.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DownByTheWooter posted:

yeah but who doesn't these days

- A SOF Marine

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Year group 98. Do I win? ;)

:corsair:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

AAR: TAP Class is a colossal waste of time if you have even half a brain

-- 90% of the poo poo they cover is available on the internet through the VA/DOL website and have you heard of GOOGLE
-- You will always have a handful of idiots who think they know better, who are loud, and who ask dumb questions, so that when you're sitting there in TAP class listening to some shitbrains instructor who retired as an E6 who needs that poo poo Fleet and Family Services job to keep maintaining their crappy lifestyle they will keep interrupting you

Forrealz I thought I was going to get a week out of work but after day 1 I realized that I'd rather be routing CASREPs and sucking dick on the ship than sit through this slow and methodical lobotomy.

At my table sat not one, not two, but three obese "WHERE MY BENEFITS AT?" land whales who hadn't done anything for the Navy on LIMDU. Seriously gently caress this gay earth.

During TAP, I had a back spasm, totally unable to change posture. So I went back to the ship to see medical and that was a better use of my time than anything else the whole week.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I miss being out at sea all the loving time.

I don't miss the navy.

:same:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Why is is always cruisers?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thronde posted:

In other news, gently caress the GTC. Why do we even need this poo poo. Why isn't it like the old days of "Here's your orders, flight itinerary, and hotel info. Be there." This isn't a cost saving measure and it sure as gently caress doesn't make poo poo easier.

I really hate that they force you to use it.
I almost got orders cancelled because between when I put them in and when the funding got pushed, my GTCC expired.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Partially and it is a thing which I have on my to do list, yes. To be fair, I wont administer a PFA for 6 mos. The current PFA is run by the NOSC after the last CFL and staff shadily changed some numbers.

It doesnt sound too hard and it was a CO personal request. I'm just leary of what I don't know about it.

Get the course, they have it at every navy base so you can do what I did and take a week in san diego because "it fits my civilian schedule best.'

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Anyone who still has their coveralls (lol if you're still in of course) can, with basic hemming skills, be on the cutting edge of this year's fashion.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Shim settling into delusional old shut-in mode at breakneck speed.

I haven't seen a fidget spinner IRL and I live next to a college campus.

I collected 12 of the drat things in the last month.
I teach in middle school.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

A bucket of jet fuel won't light if you drop a lit match in it, but if you drop a lit match on soaked coveralls it's BBQ city because it will have more surface area from soaking through the coverall.

poo poo you could probably drop a book of lit matches in a bucket and be alright tbh. I'll stand 100 yds away while you do that though.

Surface area is not the issue, flash point is. The liquid doesn't burn, the vapor does and JP5 doesn't have combustible vapor until 140°F.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Just visited the Navy Memorial here in DC. Everyone needs to come visit DC and see the sights.

Coming up for two weeks starting Sunday. because gently caress me I'm still in (part time).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Same here. We're all dumb!

Although the weekend in the middle, my wife is flying out to visit. Hotel paid for by the Dod!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thronde posted:

I'm so dumb I went back active (but FTS) so I'm extra dumb!

So that means you're like an EN2 or something doing YN work?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Valley Stared posted:

So, I was on the collision yesterday. I am the FITZ DCA. I'll put that out there now for everyone. I don't care.

The collision happened around 0130. I remember looking at my watch when I felt the ship do a strange maneuver. It woke me up.

I know that basic damage control saved my ship yesterday. We battled to keep her stable for 19 hours. The first 8 were the worst and fastest of my life.

If you guys have questions, I will answer what I can within the guidelines I have.

What was your first call when you realized what happened?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Valley Stared posted:

My first call? I grabbed the 1MC and said set general quarters. after taking control. Going down to CCS I was yelling down and aft port up and forward starboard because people were going against the flow in confusion. I also yelled that if people didn't have a repair locker to go to the messdecks.

I'm really interested in how you dealt with all the initial stages. Like 99% of sailors, major collision at sea is not something I've ever experienced and I've never been in a DC drill scenario of that situation. I honestly have no idea what the procedures would be.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zeris posted:

Would anyone mind breaking down the acronyms/meanings above for general readers?

General Quarters - aka battle stations
Damage Control Assistant - directly in charge of damage control
Central Control Station - where all engineering and related functions can be directed from
1MC - general shipboard address circuit

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=101120

PRT now matters in the only way it should - do good and get rewarded by not having to conduct the next cycle.

excellent, not good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

The reserves are the literal worst.

But that healthcare and sidepay is not.

True on both counts. As a teacher, I actually need the sidepay. Unfortunately, that also means that I was unwilling to spend an entire weekend's pay to travel for a "career enhancing" billet and I didn't get picked up for O5.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Truth.

My entire gameplan:
- Be awesome, make O4 this year
- Don't gently caress anyone over, stay O4
- Retire

The downsides are
- fewer years with the extra cash
- lower retirement
- no cool scrambled eggs hat

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reverand maynard posted:

wait how does water work on ship exactly?

The ship floats on saltwater and the ship's engines make heat so the ship takes some saltwater and some heat to make non salt water, with the addition of JP5 as a germicide.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol I took ADT orders to work at my NOSC.

What depths of despair or drink led you to this decision?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

My grandpa was a seabee in ww2 at Guadalcanal.

They had him do stevedore work unloading the ships.

He was an experienced framer as a civ before and thought he would be doing that.

Actually surprised. The military used to be a lot better at using civilian skills. Like, my father in law was drafted in Vietnam and when the draft board saw that he was a chemist, they put him in Chem Corps and he spent his enlistment in Maryland assisting in crimes against humanity.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reverand maynard posted:

thats cool that he got to make napalm

Oh, it wasn't napalm.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Virginia Slams posted:

Anyone know if either pair of Marine corps hot or cold weather brown boots are authorized in type 3s with no ega? I have both pairs I was issued from a few years back and trying to be cheap

Depends on if your chief gives a gently caress, really.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

So I was skimming through orders and I noticed a set for 200 days with the USNS Trenton.

Pro: It's in the Med. It's not a ship that can stay out at sea long.

Con: I know nothing about that class of ship and for all I know it could be a floating hell. I've never heard of anyone talking about being on one.

So does anyone have a story about it or a sister ship?

If my wife and boss wouldn't have murdered me for it, I would have jumped on those orders (there was a request for an 1115 put out a couple weeks ago) the instant I saw them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Is the Reserve worth whatever effort is involved to become involved with it? For being "such a good deal" it really isn't marketed as heavily as the Army counterpart.

Things that would draw me to it:
-Cheap healthcare for a young family
-The potential to go find some job that is exciting or fulfilling in some way (change of designator?) I want to think that maybe there's something I would've enjoyed doing in uniform....this might be naive of me, admittedly

-Things that would not draw me to it
-I was not thrilled by the people I found myself working for on AD and the idea of reservists lowering the bar further scares me
-It's like teasing yourself with the idea of being a civilian, but not 100%

I'm looking at myself attending school full time while working full time with a newish babby if it makes any difference.

Tricare reserve is seriously cheap for a family plan.
Look at what units are near you to see what your potential to find an exciting and fulfilling job is.
Why, specifically, were you not thrilled with the AD people?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DinosaurWarfare posted:

I was/am a SWO.

I mean, more than that, my experiences in the last 3 years seem to fall more in line with people who were SWO's like 10 years ago with the lovely bosses who throw things and are not rational.
There are actually a lot of people I've met the genuinely enjoy it and are okay people so the "I'm a SWO this sucks rear end" thing doesn't seem to get as many nods of acknowledgment as you'd think it would.

I am also a SWO.
My reserve units have been with:
aviators (awesome)
NECC (worst ever)
Intel (pretty good)
and now SWOs, but I've only done one weekend with them so TBD. Spending all that time away from the "SWO Reserve Pipeline" ( :jerkbag: ) probably isn't helping my chances at O5 but it sure is better than doing SWO stuff every month.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

I know why my corner of NECC totally sucks, curious why at your reserve spot

Basically, our gaining command didn't give a poo poo about us, took all of our funding and let our manning dry up, never communicated any sort of mission or requirements or really anything - they even had a change of command they didn't even bother to notify us about. My OIC mobilized, leaving me the only officer and when I contacted them to introduce myself they told me to gently caress off and never talk to them again because I was not the OIC.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Holy poo poo...

So yeah, after that I mobilized myself. When I got back, we had a new OIC. Pretty cool dude, he's the one who told me that it was three months after the change of command that they finally let him know that his emails to the CO weren't going to anyone useful any more. I signed up for some good ADT orders and they got shot down because I didn't get permission. I told them that my OIC gave me permission and they said that he didn't count, that they had to. I picked up the phone to the detailer that day and got a new unit.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

No. The Navy pays SWO O3's $75k+ dollars to agree to do two department head tours on a ship.

Edit: It's called "Blood Money" colloquially because being a department head sucks pretty badly.

And even with that big SWOCP payout there is still a huge attrition rate.
Because being a SWO sucks pretty badly.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I make less than an Ensign yet there has never been a time where I wondered if I made a mistake getting out. SWO life is no life at all.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

Officers sure do complain a lot about how hard their lives are. What's the hardest part: the extra pay, the private room on ship? Seriously though, how is being a dept head worse than something like LPO?

lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DinosaurWarfare posted:

You know those specialized skills you have or the "fun" of doing your specific in-rate job?
Imagine that those aren't there and your job consists of updating excel spreadsheets and being poo poo on by people who cannot function anywhere else and are also landwhales who scream and throw poo poo.

I also generally don't like bitching as an officer but that's the most general way I can describe it.

Also second most despised thing for me is many/most officers I have met have absolutely no personality. A deployment with them as liberty buddies can feel like solitary.

Edit:
Also preponderance of "work harder not smarter. Always appear to be doing work and make it clear that you're not <some shitbag> because of how much work you're doing"

Someone please tell me if this hits the mark at all, I want to know if my experience was unusual.

I almost never revealed anything about my real personality at work. Never give another SWO anything personal that can be used against you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What do you think was worse - Big Navy court-martialing the captain of the Indianapolis to cover up HQ being too drunk, incompetent, and/or stupid to respond to a distress call and notice that a heavy cruiser was missing, or Big Navy blaming the Iowa explosion on dead gay sailors?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Two collisions in DESRON 15 this summer. I wonder if any admirals are getting attention for optempo and training now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LordNad posted:

Absolutely. My tacco thought I was just being an rear end when I told him I wouldn't do a surface plot of that. I called him back to look at my scope and he agreed. Would have locked up the computer before I even got a quarter done marking contacts. Busiest part of the ocean I've ever seen