Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
TVS or McNally (hell, any Navy thread regulars), if you're ever in Vancouver, BC, I'll buy you a nice dinner and let my baby smile at you.

In other news, the VA will pay for service-connected conditions abroad. In Canada they coordinate with the Canadian VA!

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Gray Matter posted:

Got notice today my disability claim was finished and rated 50%. Anything I should be particularly aware of as this relates to me, school, or the reserves?

If it's VA disability, they deduct your disability pay from your reserve pay. My experience was that neither bureaucracy could cope with it and it was easier to drop a chit to get out of the reserve. I have heard of those who want the retirement or insurance staying in, despite the zero paycheck. Seems like one of those things where unit/NOSC admin competence matters a lot.

If it's DoD disability, I have no idea.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Don't marry anyone unless you've been shacked up for at least a year. Get a cheap car and a cheap place to live away from the Navy. Do your quals and don't get fat or drink too much. Start a savings or brokerage account to save for when it's time to Get Out.

Take a lot of photos.

Not in your classified spaces.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

McNally posted:

Calendar or cumulative?

You raise a good point. Time deployed might not count, I dunno.

Seriouspost: I waited until I got out to get married and I don't regret it.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
And then the parade is over and you hit the bar in your dress uniform and a nice lady takes you home?

I guess if you're married and hate being bought drinks.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I guess it could be horrible if your unit expects actual drill instead of vaguely-in-step straightaways.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Or get mustered afterward, put right back on a bus and driven out. But yeah sure you go spit some game bro.

The chain of command who perpetrates that evil deserves to be relieved for loss of confidence.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

PneumonicBook posted:

They're loving a school students, they're not going anywhere after the parade except back to the barracks.

Even if they weren't students, anyone advocating for marching in a military parade has brain worms.

Your point is a good one. I can barely remember A-School since I did one of the dumb computer-based ones and was done inside of three weeks.

Too bad we can't treat junior enlisted like adults until they gently caress up. C'est la vie.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I'm still pro-marching in non-military parades. Astoria, Oregon puts on a good regatta.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Guys I got diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall

Enjoy the free calorie burn. Watch you don't start grinding your teeth. Welcome to the Naval ADHD club, it's almost as cool as Naval Sleep Apnea club.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Night guards are good.

If you have actual sleep apnea and don't want to deal with the PITA of a CPAP underway, ask about getting an Oral Airway Dilator. It's like a night guard with a bit more structure and helps hold your airway open. It'll probably require some doing on the part of your doc but it's nice to have a solution that doesn't need an outlet.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Yep, TAP is one brand, mine is a SomnoDent, they're all OADs.

Yes, I got fat.

Voc rehab is great tho, they let me go to university in Canada on their nickel. Now my daughter is a dual citizen.

So I guess the lesson is... Go to medical, or if you're like me, be grateful you got sent to medical instead of mast when you fell asleep on the chart table.

Edit: FWIW it was inport, doing chart corrections, or maybe deck log review... I don't even remember. Still a pretty big foul to fall asleep on the bridge.

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 22, 2018

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Ditto. To clarify, I got fat after I got out.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Think Priebus needs the health insurance?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Acebuckeye13 posted:

enlisting as a nuke when she had literally just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering

That's a hell of a near-miss.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Does anyone know much about becoming a "cyber" officer? I'm finishing a Computer Engineering degree, starting a master's in same, and always kinda wanted to fill out frequent flyer forms with "Commander".

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
TVS, I would chip in for your court martial private defense fund if you quoted Godholio at such an all-hands. Good on you for keeping your dignity, though.

Too bad the civilian leadership is obviously coasting and won't calibrate the dickweed admiralty.

Still unbelievable that FFG(X) is considering Freedom-class and Independence-class ships.

Makes a guy want to flee to Canada or France.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

buttplug posted:

Also, the relationships being fostered in Silicon Valley aren't going to directly benefit the fleet today in ways most Sailors will see or understand, but there is a lot of work happening that will make things significantly easier behind the scenes, or on the cyber defense/acquisitions/supply chain management standpoint.

I'm prior enlisted and now doing grad work in computer architecture. Connect the dots for me?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Well thanks, and it’s probably best since I phrased it pretty aggressively. I’m still not entirely over my time as a deck seaman.

Never forget.

As for "cyber" defense, I am of the opinion that DoD needs more organic non-contract capability.

buttplug, is that coming? After this degree, I would hire in as a cyber engineering officer (at a slightly advanced grade?) to be or lead 'sploits and mitigations people but it seems like that track doesn't actually exist for entry?

How much of their minds did your Silicon Valley posse lose over Meltdown / Spectre?

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 15, 2019

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Welp, guess I won't get an answer for a while. Let's go back to talking about how the admiralty are useless dicks who cover bad poo poo up until they transfer.

I went to a party at a Canadian regiment house recently. Being in the same unit for your entire career seems to engender real military cultural differences from the US system. People take care of their poo poo, though I guess the trade-off is that bad cultural stuff is even harder to evict.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

CMD598 posted:

I disagree. You can just literally evict the problems either somewhere else or out and replace them with fresh personnel.

I... said that? Apologies for not being clearer.

I'm not saying you can't be a homesteader in the US military, just that it's not the default. Also that the incentive to cover busted stuff up until you leave isn't really present if you never leave.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Any guesses on FFG(X) winner?

I feel like FREMM would be the nicest to serve on. Staterooms for everyone! I'm sure the chiefs would find a way to ruin that quickly. FREMM or the Spanish one with the SPY radar are probably the best combatants. I can't believe the Freedom-class has any shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFG(X)

edit: fix url

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
*enlists because his family is too jacked up to fill out FAFSA and too poor to afford state college tuition*

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

FrozenVent posted:

Put baby in the box.

This seems like genius. Especially if you put the baby in crackerjacks.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Good luck, Kalessin! You're doing a good thing.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
FTS is silly and shouldn't exist in a modern computer-driven personnel system. The reserves should be more-closely integrated into regular manning, at least for surface. Ships should just have reservist billets and be used to having guys rotate in.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Edit: Lol posted in wrong thread.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Only because he flew around the world to step on his dick. Careerist admirals know better than to do their rear end-chewings over the 1MC.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Dingleberry posted:

I dunno, if i was some E-3 on a .50, I might just start shooting, I mean can’t go on liberty anyways, and Donnie intervened in a war crime trial...

Plus you get a free ride on the Republican grift train afterwards! Enjoy spending the next year of your life calling the rest of your crew cowards who are afraid to fight the enemy on Fox, Rush, and whatever else.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I'm amazed they actually picked the reasonable small boy design. Good job Fincantieri lobbyists!

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Sure, it's big. Sure it's expensive. That's the American Way now!

At least it'll be able to Do Stuff! And when the planning failures inevitably come, it'll have a fighting chance; being able to contribute in missions where the LCS is mostly just a target with poor survivability.

... suddenly I wonder about the FREMM med bay.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Well, that was the LCS plan, right?

We saw how that worked out.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
The report makes everyone above and below Crozier sound like a circular firing squad.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Here's the report

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
What's Ling's rating? Skate Repairman?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SquirrelyPSU posted:

When we did shipboard firefighting training, it was at a civilian place in Bothell (WA).

I did that training! It kicked rear end. My favorite parts were plasma cutting and the box lunch.

Here's hoping nobody dies on Bonhomme Richard. 🤞🤞

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Past SECDEFs ought to take some chunks of the Bonhomme Richard and make a desk for Trump.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I agree with the sentiment that it would be nice to have GOFOs who were cool and good.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Canadian Navy tries to swap 1% of its homoeroticism for inclusivity, chuds upset: https://globalnews.ca/news/7219615/navy-admiral-seaman-hate/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

piL posted:

"Why are MRC cards so difficult?"

Genius and actually good question. Navy 3M is often needlessly incomprehensible, and even if it's not that admiral's portfolio he ought to have enough connection to this core competency to have an opinion.

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 10, 2020