Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Thronde posted:

Well I'm up for the LDO test in January, might as well try for NFO until. Thanks. Where'd you go to ground school? Murderidian, MS or Boring, TX?

Ground school is in Pensacola, initially you'll be with the pilots for the early academic ground school (IFS and API) before you go to primary. Primary for NFOs is all in Pensacola too.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wonder Free posted:

Mostly what everyone else has said wrt per diem and boat life. Not a lot of studs really know that MPR is full of huge dorks and has some weird culture issues. I still don't regret it though.

For the flight school guys, at least when I was there 9 years ago, everyone was falling over themselves to avoid 86 and the intermediate phase of 10/4. Basically the gouge was that jet guys hate NFO's and that 86 and beyond would be dealing with assholes at a time when cutting scores were jumping up and they were trying to cut guys out of the pipeline. Everyone wanted to flee to the safety of fat kid land basically.

Oh snap, I have a few instructors who were just getting in around that time. One of my LTs told me how in the API student pool they had too many people, so they offered ROTC and Academy grads the opportunity to drop contract and leave the military and not have to reimburse their education expenses. Whats crazy is at least right now they're still working overtime trying to fill a bunch of slots and vacancies that are getting ready to open up, so at least NFO-wise the cutting scores aren't as much of an issue.

That said apparently too many SNAs have been getting sent to their primary squadrons and just can't perform so the new policy for Primary/Advanced is to crack down hard on folks getting pink sheets out of schools command and in their squadrons. Basically now all of your pink sheets are cumulative, so if you got one or two in API, get none in primary, but then get one in advanced, it could trigger and automatic FPC. It hit bad over here at VT 4 and VT 86, FPCs have been going way up and a couple guys have been attrited (at least before, the word was that in 4 years VT-4 had only attrited 2 or 3 people).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mr. Nice! posted:

They already have the plans. They're taking new pictures to see if we've figured out how to keep them from slowly dissolving.

We use a mix of Simple Green, the tears of HMs who didnt pick up and the blood of nukes.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
For the Jacksonville area, are there any spots in particular to avoid for renting a place? A few of us in my flight program are looking to rent a place down there when we go to the FRS. I'm trying to figure out if it'd be better to be closer to base or downtown. Trying to pocket as much BAH as I can.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Sweet! Good to know, appreciate the advice!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Jesus christ, wouldnt have thought Numa-Numa caused so many problems :stare:

Also, just got my wings yesterday! :toot: Heading down to Jax in a couple days then off to New Hanpshire to get my rear end kicked at SERE.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wonder Free posted:

My advice is to never cross the road and don’t sign anything. Also eat and drink so much in Portsmouth the week before you don’t lose any weight during your outdoor adventure.

Thanks man, appreciate the advice!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

M_Gargantua posted:

Lies. There are no responsible sailors.

poo poo, should I be blowing my flight pay on a Bugatti instead of maxing out my TSP? Did I not Navy right?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Valley Stared posted:

Clearly not. You should have two Bugattis that you can't pay for, one divorced spouse, one current spouse, 4 children with one on the way, and the dregs of your soul crusted to the bottom of your shoes.

THAT'S how you Navy right.

Well poo poo, they didn't cover that at OCS at all, man I've been getting some bad training. First there was the Top Gun volleyball in Pensacola, now this?!? Man maybe I shoudln't hide a squeaky toy in my rear end at SERE like that one guy recommended.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

M_Gargantua posted:

Honestly sneaking a squeaky toy into SERE sounds like a good prank. Maybe not do the rear end part though.

One of my buddies knew a guy who did the Air Force SERE and snuck a roll a pennies up his rear end so when he got a cavity search he spilled change like a broken piggy bank.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

EBB posted:

...and then they reset the scenario anyways and dumped him in a buried 55 gallon oil drum half filled with piss for three days

And that SEALS name? Albert Einstein!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Back from SERE, Maine has some real beautiful scenery, a real undiscovered treasure if you think about it.

I never want to go back to that goddamn state even if you drag me and pay a million bucks.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Godholio posted:

SERE is the best thing I never want to re-experience.

Edit: and not only because I'm fatter now.

Oh yeah for sure, it was really worthwhile training, like a few of the guys mentioned, it was really well executed and instructed. Im pumped I never have to go again that said.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I can't even edit the "Unknown Event" to get rid of it, so for all I know I'm officially going to be UA for the rest of my career, having never returned.

Might as well steal and E-2 and go fly off into the sunset since you never came back to base.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

scripterror posted:

To add to the bit about buying out a stripper, don't let a stripper take you to her place. They're all pretty gross off-stage anyway. Most of them live in squalor in the stripper barracks.

You mean to tell me strippers don't have salty stripper master chiefs yelling at them for sweepers in the stripper dome?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Laranzu posted:

You've never met a Mamasan have you?

Nope, they havn't let me leave Florida in almost two years.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ded posted:

I still get mad when I think about my friend who shot himself due to the command treating him like poo poo and the fleet admiral threatening him with a courts martial if he did not give up the names of those who tacked on his dolphins. It's been over 22 years. Don't think I'll ever be over it.

:stare: Jesus Christ, what was going through that admiral's head? "Oh this guy who may or may not (I know things were different back then) have gotten hazed won't tell me who hazed him? I'm make him feel life poo poo and threaten to gently caress up so he fesses up!" For that matter what was that CoC thinking? Crap, sorry man that blows that happened, I'd be pissed about something like that too.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

CMD598 posted:

Maybe just build a new class with new bigger guns and not attach a million requirements that make it a cluster gently caress like the Zumwalt.

Instructions unclear, given Lockheed 50 billion dollars to make a one-off Navy super omni-ship.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

FrozenVent posted:

What if instead of having a two ocean navy, we had a two ships navy, one on each ocean? Think of all the money we’d save.

Basically it would have to be a submersible aircraft carrier that can do 50 knots and has AEGIS.

I'm not saying we should throw away billions of dollars at boondoggle projects, all I'm saying is Ace Combat/ Metal Gear over the top combat vehicles are our nations military workhorses of the future.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So one of my college friends just reached out to me to let me know shes going to OCS in January on a SWO package. Trying to ask in as nice in as way possible of shes really really really sure she wants to do that/see if her intel application didnt go through.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

My female friend got raped two nights in a row last year at OCS and her wife got raped a month later.

She tried to commit suicide.

:stare: What....the...gently caress?!?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Jesus gently caress, I hope your friend will be able to get the help they need. Did they at least throw the book at the rear end in a top hat who did that to her?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Valley Stared posted:

Jimmy, I'd be happy to speak to your friend about OCS and SWO life as a woman if she's interested in getting that perspective. I can provide email info over PM if she wants it. My OCS experience is a bit outdated (I left just over 5 years ago now), but I can offer some perspective on what she can expect. Just make sure she's prepared for Newport winters. It is cold as gently caress up there.

That's an awesome offer, thanks Stared! I'll check with my friend and if she says yes I'll shoot you a PM.

She'd also better say yes, talking to someone who was on the Fitz would be insanely valuable.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Also we're putting in our preferences for squadrons tomorrow! Anyone know anything about any of the VP (except VP-1) squadrons up in Whidbey? I heard all of them were alright, but wanted to see if anyone here had any insight?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Appreciate the advice. Thats interesting to hear the mixed opinion of 47, our class has two PXOs (one heading to VP-16 and the VP-47 one) and I really like the 47 PXO so I was actually looking at that one. I'll have to do some more snooping around.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wonder Free posted:

A lot of what was frustrating for the current iteration of Super JO’s is the weird place they sort of fit into in the squadron. With the P-8 transition, they were supposed to help to push new tactics and try to get the community to change up how we do things. The issue is that they have to push back against pretty much everyone senior to them in the squadron to do that. So that’s like 8 DH’s, a bunch of chiefs secretly, and the front office. They usually wind up just getting stuck with all of the poo poo jobs the DH’s can get away with pushing off on them. Experiences may vary but that seemed to be what I was seeing with the first wave or two of them.

WRT 47, I wouldn’t judge it based on anecdotal evidence from someone like my friend. Usually having a good front office can help to change things for the better. It’s nice to know someone like a PXO that may be able to advocate for you later as well if you wind up in the same squadron. Eventually you’ll be competing with your peers for Mission Commander and Instructor TACCO spots.

Awesome! Good to know

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

vulturesrow posted:

FYI it's pretty easy to be the cool guy when you're just a PXO doing a refresher.

I don't know poo poo about VP but VP-1 had a pretty bad rep while I was there (which was like 6 years ago so that doesn't really mean anything now). You're going to be a single dude in Whidbey, which isn't ideal for nightlife. Highly recommend you and some buddies spring for a crash pad in Seattle.

Good to know, thanks man!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Madurai posted:

I guess it's cool that they can do this but it sounds like a poo poo job to do it.

Mark VI patrol boats make 500 mi trip

DownByTheWooter posted:

that's a cool loving boat

I forget, are these what we're replacing the Cyclones with or is that going to be its own thing, or was that supposed to be the LCSs? I may be aviation, but I've always liked learning about the small ships in our inventory.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Or just recommend them to aviation rates.

Join the flight side! We have per diem and Tuesday cookies!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Commoners posted:

Sounds like a misdirection to cover up the fact that you disassembled the pipe. :thunk:

in navy-idiot news, I just took the non-flight portion of the ASTB and got a 65 for my OAR. Going to be putting in for intel and supply corps for when I graduate this summer and aiming for that retirement pension at 42 for being a desk jockey.

Are they as toxic as I know SWOs are, or are those two communities at least a little bit less poo poo than our surface/sub communities?

So if you took the ASTB are you trying to go for any flight jobs, or were you just looking to take the OAR?

For what its worth, the supply guys I graduated from OCS with seem to be enjoying it so far (though we only have two years in so far), and quite a few of the people I know who got attrited from aviation have also made their way supply side. All in all, it seems pretty chill.

Intel might be more mixed, there were some alright guys heading that way, but there were a lot more interesting characters there. I don't really talk with any though so I'm not sure, I never see them.

If you don't mind being a line officer, NFO so far isn't a bad gig, especially if you can get MPRA. Downside is depending on your timing you might get jet drafted and talking to my friends going fighter they all seem pretty miserable.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

To clarify, a lot of NFOs have MPRA or E2s as their big wishlist item, by the time we're done with initial flight training at VT-10 a typical class might have one or two guys/gals out of a class of 10-20 people that actually want jets but in quite a few classes maybe one or two people pick up those big slots, while everyone else gets shuffled to jets. The training environment with the jets is pretty meh, you have a high tempo of stuff to do, and the civilian and military instructors are mostly the kind of alpha bro dudes who don't do a whole lot to foster learning and do more to make students feel like crap. Coupled with the fact that one or two bad events can get you kicked out its not a fun place to be. On top of that, you also have most people in your class then panicking trying to get a Growler slot since according to a lot of the Hornet NFOs there not as good of a quality of life for them out in the fleet since a lot of pilots don't really see a need for them (owing to the fact the Hornet pilots train first as single seaters).

Of course, all that said they still are going to be able to fly in some really cool and badass planes, but I can understand it from the viewpoint of the guys who didn't really want to be there. Plus if there another OBOGs problem in the T-45 it'll mean more months of no training.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

vulturesrow posted:

Keep in mind Jimmy has had his wings all of about 2 minutes.

I feel pretty confident in saying that the MPRA community is overall a more miserable place than jets. Of course there are always exceptions and it's fair to say that jets probably aren't quite as fun as they used to be.

Very fair point, I'm still at the FRS so I'm probably talking out of my rear end. :saddowns:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

PneumonicBook posted:

Anyone ever been to Naples? I'll be out there for 29 days for AT this year. I'll take a weekend to go to Rome but other than that I dont really have any ideas of what to do out there.

If you can get further north, Florence has a ton of kickass museums and neat stuff to see. Tuscany also has a bunch of really cool towns to take day trips to. Siena was my favorite but I'm biased because one of their districts mascots is a snail.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
That ProPublica article :stare:

I'll just echo what everyone else here has already said, TVS you and the crew did one hell of a job in a terrible situation.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or, like my father, when he got passed over on his first O-6 board, used his position at PERS-202 to end the practice whereby Admirals could collect sea pay for spending a few hours on a ship at sea, as well as putting needless strain on aircraft to get them out there. Evidently was costing the Navy ~$120m *per year*.

He didn't get selected his second or third time up, either. ~I wonder why~. >.>

I aspire to be an officer of the quality of your dad. :cheers:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
They kind of look like the Coast Guard uniform, which is something people have been saying we should just use for years, so that's a plus. They'd only look too bad actually.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
There was some cool stuff in that video though I do wonder, who exactly goes to those conventions? Are governments literally sending dudes to the trade fair to scope out new stuff to buy?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Well, looks like my orders finally popped, I got VP-9 over in Whidbey. Can't wait to move back to the beautiful big grey skies of the Northwest.

Now I just gotta figure out how to move my cat cross country.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

MancXVI posted:

I had a good experience with Alaska Airlines when I got out, their pet policy is reasonable and they had a direct flight from SEA all the way to FLL. I don't know exactly where you're flying from but that's about as cross-country as it gets.

Good to know, my roomate and I got the same squadron and detachment times so we're going back and forth on maybe doing a DIY move since we'll have the time and collecting some travel doesn't sound bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel like he was born 200 years too late. Still can’t believe he made commander with his trail of destroyed careers in his wake.

See if I make 0-6 my power tripping will be limited to using wax seals on the flight schedule and sneaking a cat on the ship.

If I hit 0-7 I plan to drive by the Academy everyday and yell "Dweebs" at the Midshipmen.