Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Does anyone have some good tips/knowledge about resolving PCS travel claims? I've currently got a sailor who's getting screwed to the tune of ~$6000 over the course of a very i-stop heavy PCS process that I would love to help with but I don't have a lot of experience un-loving PCS stuff. One issue seems to be that at some point, they re-calculated her reimbursement to use GMR and a lower lodging rate versus the CMR and lodging rate that she was actually charged/authorized for several weeks. Our local admin support kind of sucks and I know that PCS stuff doesn't ultimately go through them anyway, so any pointers on who to call and yell at would be appreciated.

Wonder Free posted:

I would check the JTR to see why they’re doing it. I don’t know what their orders say but if they were in government lodging and had a galley available for all meals then they may be stuck. If they couldn’t get 3 meals a day there they can probably submit a memo saying which meals and why to get a proportional rate at least.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"They" in this case is... PERS, I guess? That's part of the problem, PCS travel funding doesn't go through your local admin chain, it's all done by some office in Millington. There's no DTS authorization or anything, it's all just derived from your PCS orders.

And I wasn't clear explaining the recalculation thing; she got an full breakdown of all her charges and reimbursements once her travel was finished and she was working on her claim. It had the accurate per diem rates but was missing some major things like her rental car. As she was trying to get that corrected, they sent her an updated breakdown that retroactively had lower rates. This was for group travel as part of a det for the class she was doing, all the lodging was booked by the school and I imagine they have a CNA letter if we need to cite it. It makes me suspicious because I know DTS has an issue if you're making adjustments after the travel started where it will revert an approved CMR and full lodging rate to GMR and whatever the on-base lodging rate is. I wouldn't be surprised if the PERS system or whatever they use has a similar problem.

I've never had to do a complex PCS like this with months-long i-stops so it's out of my area of expertise. If it were DTS it would be easy.

:eng101: I did a stint as an assistant AO for a year, so after six years creeping on this forum, I might finally have something useful to say!

Alrighty, so first off, she'll want to triple-check her order and make sure there was nothing specifically spelled out in her orders to use the government logging and meals in relation to any I-Stops required to be taken as part of the travel, if there was and there is no corresponding CNA if no base lodging was used, she'll be SOL. Since this is a PCS with an I-STOP, the actual M&IE Per Diem rate might be weird depending on if she was on a det portion of the PCS versus the travel portion of the PCS. Like Wonder Free said, for the schooling portion of the orders, they might be out of luck. However, if a memo can be submitted to explain a lack of availability for getting three meals a day at the location they were at, due to duties or schooling, then they should be able to get at least a PMR.

Per the JTR:

At the very least, for the daily travel of the PCS, per the JTR the service member won't be given GMR (unless orders direct it). For PCS travel the service member should be given the CONUS per-diem rate. For their istops, once they double-check their orders and cross reference any CNA's they have that should give a firmer footing to take the next steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They do periodic command climate surveys where they literally ask people "what is your morale level? Very High, High, Neutral, Low, Very Low". Attach a % value to all of those, feed into spreadsheet, make green boxes for the admirals to look at.

I remember the first time I saw a skipper explain the command climate survey results to the squadron. The triad broke out the fancy bar graphs to show where numbers went up and down over the past year. Where the morale numbers went down, to boost morale and reassure the sailors, the command broke down the data and said that the squadron's complaints about the subject were invalid and they could prove it with numbers. It might be shocking to hear, but this presentation did not in fact reassure the sailors and boost morale.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elviscat posted:

The VA finally finished my claim after a scant 9 months, verdict is the Navy hosed up my back, my brain, and both my hands :confuoot:

Maybe I'll buy a decommed Freedom Class with my back pay, what're they going for, $5k?

If you want more bang for your buck, a 20-year-old used Boston Whaler would probably be more seaworthy than an LCS.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

US Berder Patrol posted:

nah, it's not uptight, your attitude is appropriate. "Male-dominated" career means it's full of disgusting creeps and we need more men taking and assigning accountability to change the way men act towards women.

It's wild how many folks seem to think other people share their rear end-backward views of gender/race/etc when they either work with them in the military or find out they are in the military. Some of the poo poo women sailors and women officers have had to hear/put up with/endure is really sickening.

Saw this story a couple of days ago and it reminded me of all the terrible experiences some of my friends talked about during flight school

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Arione, congrats on the move to civilian life; hope the transition is smooth sailing for you. I probably missed you in my brief window in Hawaii, were you over at Pearl or in Kbay?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1699115969480724967?t=H_RaT9hmJDSH8nXk0P9-lw&s=19

Lol dude got a FLOC for saving a dozen of his shipmates, the Navy always remains the same

I got a FLOC as an IS2 for helping the embarked one-stars flag writer master chief

So this reminds me of a story...

I was speaking to one of our contractors at the RAG and it turned out he'd been with my old squadron for a few years before I got there, back when they'd been a Hawaii squadron. We got on the subject of people getting NAMs from random stuff, and he told me about how, one day, they got a new nugget at the squadron, and he'd been assigned to bring him up to speed. The new guy had never been to Hawaii before but looked forward to being there. So after getting him checked into the barracks in K-Bay, the contractor took him out to a beach party the AWs were hosting for one of their own for someone's birthday. My contractor buddy brought the new guy there to introduce him to everyone. The party is going well and everyone is having a good time when a grandma starts screaming that a rip tide has just dragged two of her grandkids out into the sea from the shallows, and the folks on the beach could see them out in the sea. Folks were winding up when the new nugget ran out and grabbed someone's swim fins and jumped into the sea, swam out to the kids and grabbed one, and sims back into shore before striking out and bringing the other kid back in. The AWs are keyed up and giving kudos to the new guy, it turns out he'd been a BUDS dud and was an insanely strong swimmer.

Of course, folks in his chain began singing the guy's praise and recommended him for an award for risking his life to save those kiddos. A couple of months passed and nothing happened, by then the squadron was deployed to Sigonella. One day an awards quarter is held, and it's the usual assortment: "LT whatshisnuts gets his good boy end of tour NAM", "YN2 routed paperwork really good" and "dude who was on restriction and was punished with sweeping the hanger gets a NAM for sweeping the hanger real good", they then call up the nugget, and he gets... a letter of appreciation from the commodore for risking his life to save two children. Suffice it to say there was a bit of an uproar, and the nugget's letter of appreciation was also supplemented with an appropriate award at the next awards quarter.

Throughout all this, the contractor never mentioned the nugget's name until the end when he was talking about him getting what he deserved, when he finally name-drops him, it turns out this junior guy in his story was one of the senior AWs at the squadron who'd help teach me a ton of helpful things about the plane and missions. Never knew the guy had been partway through BUDS or had saved some kid's lives, the guy was super humble and awesome to work with. He's now living his best life in the reserve MPRA squadron in Whidbey.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Arione posted:

Are you suprised? Nobles are never held accountable

Speaking of nobles never being held accountable...

Pro Publica just did a decent expose of the messed up development of the LCS

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elviscat posted:

I prefer Skinny Man on a Vriginia* on a fog*HOOOONNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKK*

"Skinny Man", a 24 man berthing, so called because it's so narrow that my shoulders do not fit straight between the racks, and have to leave to turn to face the other way, and has special panels to stick firehoses in, because you can't fit safely in an SCBA, is where Control would be on an '88, directly below, and directly aft the bridge access hatch, so on foggy, surfaced, days you get blasted by the ship's whistle every few minutes, especially the fwd racks. I think this is why my ears are ringing, sitting in a dead silent house posting

E: EAB markers for scale

:stare:

Ooof

It's always fun doing a repo on a P-8 with a full maintenance detachment, as soon as the fasten seatbelt light is off, it looks like a scene out of The Happening in the back, all the crew grabbing engine coverings and seat cushions to make makeshift beds. A couple of big big-brained shorter guys would sometimes manage to rig up full-on hammocks in the back.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Crab Dad posted:

They named carriers after a bunch of politics clowns. Nimitz should have been the end all of that poo poo. Forrestal and Kennedy were mistakes too but at least Kennedy was a president.

Washington and Lincon, I can kinda get considering how important they are to American History.

Kennedy, Ford, G.H.W. Bush all served an active component in WW2 on carriers, so I can at least understand why they got important ships named after them.

Eisenhower was the supreme allied commander in WW2, while in not Navy I can understand why he got a pass and got an important warship named after him.

Teddy Roosevelt was Army, but served as an undersecretary for the Navy and definitely promoted the cause of the Navy. Definitely in the Forrestal camp though of, eh maybe not necessarily full carrier worthy (also, too there's already a destroyer named for all the Roosevelts already, so he basically gets a free double dip).

Truman...Yeah, no clue. (especially since it was supposed to be named the U.S.S United States).

Vinson and Stennis prove that you can be a massive segregationist piece of poo poo, but as long as you bring home the bacon for the Navy we'll honor you with a massive warship (instead of a garbage scow like they deserved). For Reagan, it shows if you waste money reactivating old World War 2 ships and if you make boomers happy and nostalgic we'll name all kinds of stuff for ya.

Cerekk posted:

The SECNAV has more or less free reign to name ships whatever he wants, so it's a) somewhat impressive we manage to ever maintain a theme across multiple SECNAVs, and b) rarely get ship names that are egregiously political.

For destroyers I just want us to settle on what naming scheme we want to use for people. Are we going for full names, full first and last with a middle initial, full first and last, or just the last name?

We just launched the Jack H. Lucus, but the latest ship to commission was the Lenah Sutcliff Higbee. But the last ship to carry her name was just the plane ole USS Higbee. With John Paul Jones, used to just use Paul Jones until after WW2 then switched to using his full name.

I just want to know which version of names we use!!!!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Cerekk posted:

Bring back giant fuckoff battleships so we can name one after Alfred Thayer Mahan.

Also isn't the reason they stopped naming submarines after states because they ran out of states? They even reused Arizona.

We'd have to wait for the current one to retire. Also it should have a ship cat named Meowhan.

And yeah I think its a combo of running out of states and going back to the old heritage since the changeover happened when Rickover was around.

I do wish we'd get another Kamehameha

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Valley Stared posted:

USS ROOSEVELT the destroyer is only named after Elenore and FDR, not any of the other Roosevelts.

However, trying to explain to people that the Theodore Roosevelt and the Roosevelt are complete different ships, and that no, the TR's shorthand is NOT Roosevelt, it's Teddy Roosevelt or TR is a nightmare.

Right now the trend for destroyers is to use the person's full name, though almost all of the FLT 1s through FLT 2s were just last name. Roosevelt again, being an exception, but it is named after two people.

Interesting! Didn't realize that about the Roosevelts vs the TR, I always thought it was for the whole family.

Elviscat posted:

Excited to go back to city names for the Columbia class, the lead ship of which is to be named, of course, USS District of Columbia, because naming the ship simply USS Columbia would be highly sacrilegious, implying that the ship is the physical manifestation of Christopher Columbus.

Considering if a Boomer ever has to actually do its primary job, untold numbers of lives will be lost in a calamity of blood and horror, the Christopher Columbus name would be a pretty accurate description.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

McNally posted:

This isn't toxic masculinity, it's frugality. If I want to get drunk, I'm drinking cheap booze with stuff in it to mask the flavor of cheap booze. If I want to drink good stuff, I drink good stuff. I prefer good stuff but I also can't afford to go out and get loaded drinking good stuff.

Orange Mio and vanilla Smirnoff creates an alcoholic creamsicle for the budget conscious drunk. If you feel fancy mix it with some Sprite Zero for the bubbles!

M_Gargantua posted:

Dukes has the best Brunch

Kalapawai Deli has the best breakfast burrito

Lanikai is the best beach with the best rotating volleyball crew.

If you're in Lanikai, Over Easy is a pretty solid brunch option also. Parking is a pain though.

Also Temura's has the best liquor store poke if you're feeling that for a lunch.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

1.5 litres of blended scotch is a bargain I tell ya!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elviscat posted:

John Paul Jones was a pirate,

Modern Sailors dress as pirates when they go to anime conventions, same thing.

John Paul Jones was also the first navy skipper to be poo poo canned due to a negative command climate survey (the Ranger threatened a mutiny of he was put back in charge).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Welp, it looks like I already got verbals for 2025, Ops Admin on a San Diego carrier. :c00lbutt:

I still have no idea what I'm doing

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The classic muffin-top hull form, its an elegant shape built to mirror the physical appearance of the fleet khakis.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

To fight the sub, one must think like the sub!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

A.o.D. posted:

What are the odds that shutting down traffic through the Suez pisses the Egyptians off enough to get involved?

The Seychelles are showing up for the coalition efforts to protect shipping, it would be hilarious if the Egyptians never eventually show.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Flyinglemur posted:

Anybody know what the Georgia's skipper did other than "lost faith in his command" by the big Navy?

https://www.stripes.com/branches/na...xbPfABeEtiLYfBQ

RUMINT on Reddit was that it was a DUI.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elviscat posted:

Y'all ever get woke up by the messenger, go eat, head on back to the engine room for watch, and one RO unit's overfilling the RFTs, the other's dumping brine in the bilge, the LOPs are geysering 2190 out of the water seal, one condenser has no vacuum, and ERUL doesn't know what he hosed up so he's cowering and crying in a corner, the EP is in some hosed up lineup with no procedure for recovery, the EWS and ERS are shooting the poo poo in maneuvering, who just have all the alarms cutout, and ERLL is literally just missing somehow?

Because that's how I feel getting off work and reading this thread.

Please translate appropriately for your rate.

Feels like taking over and getting the passdown from the weekend duty and finding out you gotta push multiple sitreps.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
See this wouldn't have happened if they' just said the Sailors Creed kept the daily rum ration.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Flyinglemur posted:

This is really low level trolling. Hasn't even brought up the Liberty incident.

2/10

What was LiMu Emu doing in the East Med on June 8th 1967?!

I'm just asking questions!!!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
One of my sailors asked me to reenlist them tomorrow! Its my first time doing this! :)

Making sure I have the oath memorized for it so I'm not reading off a card or a smart phone like I've seen at others.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Cerekk posted:

While you're correct about this, it's not just that it's "too much work". The other part is the political side where O-6 squadron commodores regularly get annoyed at O-5 COs for submitting too many COMs. So even if someone else does all the work to put together an immaculate award package, it may still not be submitted based on how recently that commodore has gotten annoyed at that particular CO.

But, if you want to try anyway, pages 2-68 through 2-71 and 2-75 through 2-78 of SECNAV M-1650.1 are your starting point.

Note that any nomination for the NM must include at least two notarized witness statements, each from an individual who personally witnessed the servicemember performing the act of non-combat heroism.

Not empty quoting.

Also, for NMs, typically, those aren't handed out as much, so if legwork was already done to get the info for the package and it gets routed, a commodore might be more inclined to take a look.

When that one buddy of mine almost drowned in Deception Pass, and the MTOC guy swam out to save him, it took about a month for all to get signed and routed, but that sailor got the award he deserved.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Crab Dad posted:

https://imgur.com/a/YRg1rJG

Without a doubt the best feeling thing I’ve done for another sailor.

Hell yeah, good on ya, Crabdad, for helping that sailor out!

The Valley Stared posted:

Yes, as an officer, if you are Detached For Cause that is the death of your career. Even if it's overturned, you then have to go through the effort of getting the paperwork removed from your record.

The Navy's removed several COs in the last few months. I just saw that a SEAL CO was relieved, a Commodore was relieved a few months back, then you had the Cruiser CO. That's just three off the top of my head. Never mind the Submarine COs we've been discussing in the tread.

At least with the Seal CO and the two sub-skippers, all three got the boot for DWI/DUIs.

This could have been avoided if the admirals asked them what their weekend liberty plan was!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo I didn’t realize this was just a board announcement. Maybe my av update was premature.

We use avatars as something to aspire to! :patriot:

Also, congrats on making board Crab Dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Don't forget to do your annual "Don't go to Russia to meet your online date" GMT due by COB at the end of the week! :chiefsay: