Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Godholio posted:

I mean when I was still active. I had an issued A-2 jacket, but no fun allowed.

I wear a uniform sometimes at work and usually rock an entertaining patch or two, including this pen tab:

Usually the AWACS chemtrail one too.

Want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

Seems like that should be an inherent red flag by now.

I've been wondering for a while when this was going to happen.

And as a former instructor I can say that Saudi students were by and large a complete waste of space. And I truly hate to generalize like that but I guarantee you any instructor would tell you the same.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TidePods4Lunch posted:

I have a Saudi onwing right now who is better than many American students I’ve had. In fact, as much as I hate to deal with their language barrier, the ones I’ve flown with at Whiting have been by and large better than average, very respectful, and down to earth (I always jokingly ask if they are Princes and every one has come back adamantly that they aren’t).

That's good to hear. I was an NFO instructor at VT-86 and I generally did not have good experiences with Saudi students and I was not alone in that. There were a few outliers of course. The German and Singaporean students were much better in general.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

The Saudis I've taught have been, amazingly, both good and bad students, almost as if their nationality doesn't matter, and they're individual people.

Crazy I know.

I advocate treating individuals as an individual. But that doesn't mean you can't make useful observations about different cultural groups. I work with manufacturers and material suppliers from all over the world on a weekly and daily basis and I'd be a lot less effective at my job if I didn't take cultural differences into account.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hoo boy. Sat on my first ADSEP board today. I'm glad to have seen it from a professional standpoint, though it makes me very glad I'm not a lawyer. Nothing too crazy but it's still pretty heavy stuff when you're dealing with it up close.

I sat a couple and was in charge of one. The one I was in charge of led to my XO calling me from deployment and berating me. I then found out from one of my buddies that was on detachment that he was telling the members of the wardroom out there that the outcome of that ADSEP board was "borderline insubordination." Then in the next fitrep cycle I was ranked behind a dude that was only in the command for four months. The only reason I didn't report that fucker to the IG was because his wife was battling a serious illness and as much of a dick as he was I didn't have it in me to add that complication to his life.

It was not a fleet squadron, it was my OP-T DH tour. And he was a P-3 guy, go figure.

Welp, thanks for listening to my TED Talk.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

No gently caress that. His personal life has nothing to do with professional standards, especially if he is in a leadership position.

You are objectively correct but I'm too much of a soft touch.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Not to pry too much, but how was your XO so invested in the outcome of the board? I thought the whole point was that you get board members from outside the command so there's no potential for that kind of bias; at least that's how I've always seen them organized. The one I did was for one of the other squadrons on the line here, none of the board members had ever heard of the guy or anything about the circumstances prior to walking in.

I don't think there is any stated requirement in that regard, I think maybe you are supposed to have one member from outside the command if possible. We had two from my command and one from our sister command. The outside member was a friend of mine and is a really fair dude so I knew his opinion would be objective.

It was a drug case and of course he was found guilty at Captain's Mast. I had been TDY so I knew nothing about the case until right before the board. When we got done hearing everything we were all kind of looking at each other like "how can we separate this guy?" Of course in the XOs mind it was a done deal because he was already masted. Never mind the ADSEP board guidance explicitly stated that you can't consider the result of NJP in the decision.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Huh. That seems like it would open up a huge conflict of interest can of worms, but Navy's gonna Navy I guess.

Yup, especially with P3 guys in the front office.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Beat Army!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

If you are somewhere that it is offered I highly recommend USFHP.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

An oldie but a goodie. Written by an acquaintance of mine from Prowler-land. He is currently a Growler CO

https://link.medium.com/cm8BCoKyK2

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Red Crown posted:

Not every skipper who writes stuff has the virtues they preach, but I can confirm this one does.

Agreed.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Unfortunately, your work will probably never even pretend to give a poo poo, but being far away from any military base and spitting at the very mention of the world's finest navy while you bank vet's bennies is really cool and good

I'm sorry for your loss and your divo sucks poo poo

I actually disagree with this. There are plenty of great organizations to work for in the civilian world.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

it’s a commander whose a prior enlisted corpsman over 20.

Problem identified.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

10bux says it would be a 5/4 split allowing the Constitution to get shat on until further notice regardless of any legal precedents.

10 more bux says your definition of "shat on the Constitution" is wholly informed by your personal politics.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Aren't you like the only extant senior noble

Geizkragen or however tf you spell it might still be in.

I got out in 2018

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

While I admire CAPT Crozier's regard for his crew and other embarked Sailors, if it the situation sent down the way the SECNAV said then his firing was justified.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

So... since I’ve already got a rep in this this for controversial opinions about leadership (aka omg how dare you care about peeps, how dare you intermingle between the classes, how dare you be a pleb who rose to the patrician status)... just wanna say Modley was a spineless piece of poo poo from day 1. Current acting SECNAV is a spineless piece of poo poo. Hey until we get a SECNAV that actually values their oath to support and defend they are a piece of poo poo

I think your rep is more along the lines of drama Lord.

CMD598 posted:

So glad I saved this.

I was on the deployment where this patch was created. I even know the story behind it ..

That is an actual quote from one of the Nimitz TAOs. That is the part I'm 100% sure if.

The context, IIRC, was during a COMPTUEX and one of the evolutions didn't go so well. Said comment was made to one of the evaluators by said TAO. I could be completely wrong about that part though lol. I was on Flag staff at the time.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Reagan had that. O2 port side aft a bit iirc. All the ships kinda blend together though.

Called it 7-11 because it was open late for night shift. We did a *lot* of midnight snack runs.

On my flag staff tour I assigned myself the midwatch a lot so as to maximize my avoidance of flag staff bs. We (assistant IWO and myself) spent a lot of money in the 7-11. And got really loving good at bop-it. Bonus to standing this watch was saying no to people who called in the middle of the night to request permission to break whatever condition was set. The answer was always no. 😁

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I spent 5 nights on a USNS ship during fleet week.

Complimentary beer after the admirals party. Nice touch.

Tried desperately to get my boss to cross deck me to one of our USNS ships for a few days. He didn't agree with me on the necessity of teaching them about EW.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Gotta turn those red boxes green shipmate. :chiefsay:

The cynic in me says the Navy and DOD are banking on the upcoming economic downturn to get warm bodies in positions as soon as they can recruit.

You should preface every one of your posts with "In my experience,"

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

For me it should probably be "In my experience, as a JO who knows nothing..."

Yeah that was the joke....

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Sometimes you just gotta take the piss outta brown shoes.

That movie being a clarion call for every jerkoff bro type to fly probably did more to prevent me from going air than anything else. I really wanted to fly fixed wing going into ROTC. After my week with the airdales during CORTRAMID, I knew I wouldn't be able to stand working with guys like that on a daily basis.

The air detachment on my second ship confirmed my theory.

Show me on the doll where the mean aviator touched you.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Geizkragen posted:

Last CO didn't give a gently caress. Went with the Army policy of 'doesn't hurt your feet and is coyote brown or black 8" boot' and he was cool. He also wore Nikes and I wear Merrells.

New CO also doesn't care. New CMC though? He is loving mad that people have different boots. For once as XO I get to be the good guy and tell him to calm down. (The previous CMC completed the Triad boot rodeo and rocked his desert tan Belleville flight boots)

Whoa you're an XO now dude?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Yo for my fellow carrier bros instant ramen was also a legit midrats purchase from the 7-11.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

We had an ADCA get a letter of reprimand and removed from his role because he edited an MRC card and made someone use it.

During 3M inspection.

This made me laugh so hard for some reason.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ded posted:

American Descendants of Slavery

what

I thought it was Actively Desecrating Other Sailors.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Every flight I flew as an instructor NFO I had a tablet with me. I still had everything I needed in my nav bag but flying with a tablet was so much more convenient.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I think it was a typo but he's not wrong. 🤣

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

I would add gas.

My wife still makes fun of him for his horrible speech that was mandatory attendance prior to our 2nd deployment.

I seriously wish that man nothing but ill and pain in his life.

He inspires hatred across the entire rank structure.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Hey Navy thread.

I'm active duty at 11 yrs, I'm about to transfer back to a sea command (submarine type) in a few months for my last 12 months of obligated service because I'm a loving idiot at managing my career.

I meant to get out after my first, miserable, sea tour, but my COB asked me if I'd reenlist if I got shore duty orders to a sick shore tour and I said "lol, yeah sure" because I figured he had no power to do so.

So yeah, very interested in EOT chat. My buddy works at my dream job and has 100% disability from the VA because the Navy hosed both his knee surgeries up. Figure I should tell medical about my crippling knee and back pain that keeps me from sleeping much most nights huh?

You should tell medical every single thing that is wrong with you no matter how insignificant it seems. I cannot emphasize this enough.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

gently caress Mypay, am I right fellas?

An SoF Marine

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I didn't even do the whole thing, I just joined them in October to "probably just transit home, maybe 7 or 8 fly days left" which turned into four months at sea. People were saying what a long and lovely deployment it had been when I showed up. So yeah, not gonna be a big win for retention.

I did the previous Nimitz deployment and it was a pretty big dumpster fire. But drat it they outdid themselves. Are you doing a training O tour?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Nah, just wrapped up the training O tour, now a full blown dirty hinge. Time definitely flies.

Eww ;)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Oh hai guys, long time no post. Hope none of you are still dumb enough to be in (says the lifer). Can confirm being a civilian is still great, 4 years into it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

The Valley Stared posted:

Oh no. Still dumb enough to stay in. Just got an Ord-Mod regarding how long I'll be staying on my next ship too. On the one hand, Rota! On the other hand, several years as a CHENG.

If it works for you, that's all that matters. And as Mr Nice pointed out, you still being in will probably be a huge plus for Sailors and JOs that end up working for you. I'm pretty comfortable saying the Navy is better off having you in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm looking for my next orders as well, I've been told I have a spot at the new MQ-25 squadron if I want it. And maybe even if I don't, our commodore seemed really excited to get me in there. Seems like a cool gig, albeit based in Pax River. :awesomelon:

The El Centro Air Show was pretty nuts. Not a very big aircraft showing, but tons of people. We were the centerpiece of the static displays (and a welcome source of shade for people to park their chairs under). Blue Angels show was cool; one of the diamond jets went down in the line so it was a 3-plane formation, but they adapted very well.

What's the billet?