Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMD598 posted:

Apparently there's a new NAVADMIN trying to get everyone on their first sea duty enlistment to extend wherever they are because everyone from FY13 is either out, getting out, or about to hit shore duty.

LMAO retention problems. They didn't want me back, said my knees were too hosed from prior service, I am glad of this, as I have a much better schedule and stress level now that I am out.

I didn't fail the stupid physical checks at MEPS, but when I went to do the thing where you are on your knees and have to smoothly transition into a standing pose, my knees apparently "sounded someone had put Rice Krispies in them" and the doc wouldn't OK me. Thank you anonymous MEPS doc, you saved me from making a bad decision for the second time :peanut:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Calus posted:

Oh hi thread where I belong. Didn't see you till now :)

Who the gently caress are you

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I can't even remember great lakes except for one sole experience, wherein I realized I was in a frozen hell. The weather went from almost 70 degrees one day to <10 the next, and about 6 feet of lake effect snow fell overnight.

Seriously though dude, are you like a boot washout or something?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Calus posted:

I was going to ET school when they were going to merge it with IC so I had to do both A schools. I got kicked out of A school for some poo poo I did outside of class, but it was literally the last week. They crucified me and sent me undesignated to a carrier. That sucked for 2 years and then I went back to Great Lakes again to do FC school since it's the same loving thing as ET except the last month or so. That worked out and I was FC2 when I got out in 2012

Which carrier?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Calus posted:

Ike Ike Baby

Eisenhower, The old 69

I am sorry for you. I spent 4 years on the Mobile Chernobyl and was on her decom crew.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Have you even seen Top Gun? Such manly vigor on display, very Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmfd9etbXGE

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh dear. Reporting for a long drill weekend in San Diego and my MC says to wear our digies "cause you gonna get dirty".
I am clueless what that even implies to an IS unit. I'm guessing janitorial work.

gently caress that wear coveralls, poo poo is comfortable yo, and it is also the dirty work uniform that doesn't cost 110 bucks to replace.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm guessing painting, and seconding the recommendation to have a set of coveralls handy.

Though I guess if aquaflage is going the way of the dodo soon, it probably doesn't matter much if you get them paint splattered.

Soon is still plenty enough time to have an inspection and WHY THE gently caress DO YOU HAVE A PAINT-SPLATTERED UNIFORM SHIPMATE?!?!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh absolutely, if someone's enough of a douche to make people paint in aquaflage, they're more than enough douche to do a uniform inspection (is that even a thing for aquaflage? Seriously?) the next month.

It absolutely is a thing, all of your uniforms are supposed to be inspection ready. poo poo I've had ive had inspections in coveralls when I was underway.

Surface Navy sucks poo poo, I am glad I spent the last 3 years of my AD commitment ashore at an aviation command. At least we didn't have quarters more than once a week if that, and inspections only on uniform shift.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 19, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey shipmates do us all a favor and don't slam the gat-damned doors. It's hell on the bushings and gasket!

Can't wait to start replacing them on my AT!

Suck it up I was DCPO of my division when I was AD for almost 3 years and I probably can still perform most of the maintenance on a WTD in my sleep.

It was hilarious walking through the ship and being able to easily spot doors where people hadn't bothered to do the maintenance properly so there were gaps in the seals after they replaced them, and poo poo packed in the hinges.

Also, lingcodkilla, knife edges are no joke, one of my friends lost all his fingers on both hands doing maintenance on a hatch over a trunk and the (not properly secured) hatch slammed shut, I think they may have been able to reattach some of them, maybe. Never have your hands just resting on a knife edge, because something can happen and they will gladly bite your fingers right off with no mercy.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 20, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

One time we went for a whole month without flour.

Flour you say? You mean that stuff you need for almost all baking? Why yes!

Luckily we had absurd quantities of two life saving ingredients: canned cornbread mix and honey. We made very clear that our four cooks ability to make acceptable cornbread was the kinda important, and surprisingly they rose to the challenge. We had good cornbread, and warm cornbread and honey is delicious, this was good for the first two weeks. Then someone had the bright idea to mix it up, they tried making jalapeno cornbread and other nefarious concoctions. Those didn't work well.

Cornbread is good and makes me happy.

Jalapeno cornbread is poo poo and I hate it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Try green beans and waffles for dinner because we missed 3x unreps in a row due to poo poo weather and scheduling.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Eh? What's caco?

The people who bring your wife the folded flag, and the support system for your widow after the fact.

I would never want to do that, i wouldnt be able to handle it tbh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Get help sea ghosts.

No kidding, suicide doesn't solve any of the problems that would make you consider it, and unless you are literally not of this earth, you will leave people behind who have to pick up the pieces. Get help, if not for yourself because you don't think you're worth it, do it for the other people who are a part of your life, your family, friends, co-workers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

Terminal countdown: 9 days

Rather than doing turnover, checkout stuff, and kickin' it for the duration I get to run around putting out fires and frantically trying to tie up loose ends until the last minute. Between the 2 large aviation programs I manage, one of my reliefs is in school until March and the other has been on leave for the past two weeks.

It is about to be Not My loving Problem real soon :feelsgood:

Why did you not throw your hands up in the air two months ago and drop all your programs on your reliefs? Like seriously you hosed yourself.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

I'm just waiting for that bomb to drop. As far as why I didn't drop my programs on my reliefs, its because the chain didn't even identify who was replacing me until about 2 weeks ago. One of them is a recent gain who I have never even seen cause he's been in school since arriving.

I returned my CWAY quota last spring.

Too bad you don't get to spend time in purgatory Bremerton. It was nice getting paid to skate for 8 hours a day in TPU for two weeks while I waited for my terminal leave to start.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Whoops i was thinking of another guy.

Yeah yer hosed. I don't see why anyone would want to hire a noble.

Try chik filet. Guaranteed sundays off.

They'd much rather hire someone useful :rolleyes:

No seriously what was your major and or what are you interested in doing? This is your chance to re-invent yourself so to speak.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Some days I miss the Navy, but then I realize I don't miss the Navy, I miss my ship and the friends I had on her. Hell, I hated the ship because everything was always broken but the people who were on her really made her what she was. When I was walking around the spaces after they inactivated her and moved everyone to barges and cut the power so they could start cutting things out, it felt weird and wrong, like the ship had lost her soul, because she had no crew anymore.

Related: decommissioning a ship sucks, it's hard work, and it's really surprisingly emotional watching your ship slowly get cut into a bunch of pieces over months and hauled off until there's nothing left above the deck.

Still really glad I'm out and would never volunteer again.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 22, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Never ever horse girls.

E: sorry about the weird post last night i was a bit buzzed and sitting in a dark room and posting

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 22, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Iron Prince posted:

Aw, gently caress. I'm coming back to this thread. Did nine years active before quitting like a bitch, and now I have my papers in to go reserves also like a bitch.

Don't do that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This actually sounds like the cushest job on the boat.

Knew a guy who did it (CTA) as an E4-E5, he basically did all of the SSOs work while the SSO lazily rubber stamped everything. Its a fuckload of admin paperwork without the advantage of having other poor fucks to distribute the workload.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thronde posted:

Go to a small enough mission oriented command and you don't do that bullshit anyway.

I didn't do CPO365 and it was good.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

No. Stop. Don't. (I'm at ten. Not getting out til 2020 at the earliest)

Your rear end is done, once you're over the 10 year hill dehumanize yourself and face yourself to retirement.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arione posted:

gently caress that, worst recruitment spiel ever.

And yet it will still find some suckers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Was anyone not religious in boot camp

Pretty sure everyone went to church services in boot camp just to get the gently caress out of cleaning the barracks the the umpteenth time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Our hot water heater was busted. Our div caught scabbies and it spread rapidly due to lack of hot water to clean clothes. Made shower times very short.

Lm loving ao what nasty gently caress brought scabies to boot camp

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

My next goal is to be a competent JO who doesn't bumble through everything or screw things up badly for the people I might end up in charge of.

Lmao good luck bud. All butterbars gently caress poo poo up, just try to not gently caress it up too bad. Your saving grace is being an aviator, you won't have to deal with enlisted for a while.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

The only way to go wrong at this point is by picking P-3s.

Somebody is jealous of that huge TDY dosh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Your bad. I'm currenwnrtotiyn. At moooder mgyikldcuufyidsn either a a woworkkwrr. Having fun. Sshdhdb. Sftenntybdyjne etnenen.
I'll

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LordNad posted:

Bad news, pretty sure P-3 radar gave me a brain tumor.
Good news, I managed to avoid navy butchers and have Mayo clinic surgeons pull that poo poo out. Plus I instantly went to 60-80% disability so that's good right... right? :suicide:

Anyone a flight surgeon? I know I'll probably need a mountain of paperwork to throw at NAMI to keep my aircrew and I want to get a head start while on conv leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeOnLwi9CtQ

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Some of reservists on AT getting a little nervous...

Hey dude you wanted to get mobed now is your chance.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

yeah, gently caress the navy. btw, if they stop loss me im coming for you fuckers.

Shoulda got out when you could, best time to exit is between wars :q:

It's been 247 days since I got out of the navy, still feels good.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I really should have a hell tracker that shows me the time since I've been out.

5 and a half years, and the Lincoln is still in RCOH. Lol.

How much worse do you imagine it sucks now as compared to when it went in? I remember when the Lincoln went into RCOH, it was pulled up to the pier next to us prior to it going into the yards. It looked like a rusty piece of poo poo for the entire loving year it sat pierside while its RCOH schedule was in the air.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 12, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Hey bro. No beard, because welp. But I'm out too. Y'all need to get Rick from the outprocessing unit in WA to do your VA portion. The actual VA reps were poo poo, but he got me fixed up. Dude's legit.

Seconding Rick as being the top dog as far as information. :hf:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Woo. Got a job working at Bangor as a dirty civilian computer janitor.

:hf: good job, now you get to do the same poo poo you do for the navy for 3x the pay.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

squarerandom posted:

CTT3(possibly picking up 2nd?)

My buddy whose a CTR loved it on a LPD, so who knows. But I did find out they have a grip of CTTs on board already so who knows. I'll report back after I get aboard :shrug:

On an unleaded note, I made hazelnut coffee at my NOSC and my department hated it. Mhmm a whole pot of coffee.

Flavored coffees are crap though? :confused:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Have you tried mumbling "gently caress the police" while brewing coffee whenever you drat well please? That seemed to work when I was in.

Same thing with loving sonar techs 'cleaning' the heads (playing on their loving DS's) trying to tell me I can't shower when i've got 4 hours to catch sleep before I need to be on watch again.

Pretty much this, if anyone busts your balls over the coffee mess 24 thing they are a massive cockbag with a serious anal blockage.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

:lol: Like I'm gonna loving do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAfnC3N-_E

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Also since we're talking orders chat I just got a verbal to head to Fort Meade. Time for me to be officially stationed at Navy Nerd HQ.

Im literally down the street as a contractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I saw people get shot in VA Beach last night. Would not recommend trying to recreate that event, though.

Huh. I figured VA beach was full of hipsters and poo poo.

Had a dude get snuffed a block down from my apartment at 4 am last week, which is weird as gently caress cause there hasn't been a murder in Fells Point in 2 years.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 1, 2017