Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I don't know but I am assuming they keep putting more and more poo poo on guys belts to carry. I remember vividly a chief jumping into a pool with the entire required boarding kit, standing on the bottom, pulling his "positive" inflation and not moving an inch before dumping his belt and swimming to the surface. Carrying 50 lbs of poo poo with 40 lbs of buoyancy is insane.

Oh yeah, all the bullshit that the VBSS teams are required to carry will make you sink like a loving rock. You gotta ditch everything as soon as you hit the drink, and honestly I'd hope that VBSS dudes train on ditching their gear, but I don't think it's super emphasized from what I remember.

They could carry more buoyancy/bigger lifevests, or meet in the middle with slightly less gear and slightly more vest, but I'm sure the Navy won't do that, preferring instead that you frantically ditch your poo poo as you sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I’m glad to see that the navy is adopting the merchant marine philosophy to MOB situations: if you hit the drink, you dead

Isn't merchant marine fairly lightly manned so that if you go over the side it would be a while before they notice you gone?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wait you are guys really pretending to be on this poo poo? You can’t think of why the Houthis would be particularly sensitive to the issue of genocide and enforced famine?

Frankly this is a bunch of racist Islamophobic bullshit, and you should be embarrassed.

loving skim a Wikipedia article about Yemen or something, goddamn.

They said explicitly they’re attempting to enforce international law and that they will stop shipping until sufficient aid is let into Gaza or there is a ceasefire.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/15/cargo-ship-near-yemen-reportedly-hit-by-missile-as-fears-grow-conflict-could-spread

Are you dense, that's the literal slogan of the Houthi movement. Revolutionaries say revolutionary/inflammatory/literal bog-standard anti-Western poo poo, news at 11.

Also, random indiscriminate attacks on merchant shipping is not enforcing international law. Were the Houthis actually ensuring that the shipping they were attacking was actually benefiting Israel, vs just happening to be transiting the Gulf of Aden, they might have a fig leaf to hide behind, if you squinted hard enough and were rabidly biased towards the Houthis. As it is, randomly launching missiles at civilian ships violates the UNCLOS (Which is in fact binding international law governing maritime activities the world over) due to not respecting the right of merchant ships to "Innocent Passage" through EEZs and territorial waters.

Say it with me, "Attacking innocent merchant ships is not enforcing international law."

"Attacking innocent merchant ships is not enforcing international law."

gently caress out of here, dumbass.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 18, 2024

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Y'all ever get woke up by the messenger, go eat, head on back to the engine room for watch, and one RO unit's overfilling the RFTs, the other's dumping brine in the bilge, the LOPs are geysering 2190 out of the water seal, one condenser has no vacuum, and ERUL doesn't know what he hosed up so he's cowering and crying in a corner, the EP is in some hosed up lineup with no procedure for recovery, the EWS and ERS are shooting the poo poo in maneuvering, who just have all the alarms cutout, and ERLL is literally just missing somehow?

Because that's how I feel getting off work and reading this thread.

Please translate appropriately for your rate.

My eyes loving glazed over but I'm thinking it goes something like the guy walking in with pizza and the whole loving room is on fire. That about it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That's literally navy and marine corps medal territory what a crock of poo poo. Homie literally saved two people's lives which is what that medal is generally awarded for.

If they think that running into a burning house is not at the level of a Navy and Marine Corps Medal, a Bronze Star (without V)may also be awarded for heroic action, and is lower in precedence.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 24, 2024

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

no no no. the NAM is for when the yeomen file paperwork on time

No, a NAM is not a Navy and Marine Corps Medal.

A NAM is bullshit candy, a Navy and Marine Corps Medal is awarded for heroic action at risk of ones own life to save lives. It's pretty high precedence but warranted for running into a burning building to save people's lives.

Crab Dad, literally both of you should be getting that awarded.

You have a compelling case to get that medal, and a loving captains coin is a cop out.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 24, 2024

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Worst that happens is they say no, after all. If there's a documented report stating that servicemember(s) entered a burning building to rescue victims, at risk to themselves, technically it fits the criteria for the award.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Took my chiefs exam and I was actually quite surprised that the test felt like it was 40% IT, 40%crypto,15%publication memory and barely if even 5% radio questions. Big difference from last year.

Totally stupid test for reservists ultimately. Had like 30 CANES question s. I could count on my dick how many reservists I’ve heard of being sent to a platform with it. I don’t believe they actually ask reservist IT what they do and just copy the active duty test, which would be fine if we actually ever supported them on ships.

So you got your board package prepped future MCPON Crab Dad?

poo poo I remember when you were just a wee baby crab ITSN.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

I don’t even have gold chevrons yet! Let me enjoy this for another decade before I get serious.

lmao you're going to the goat locker

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

https://imgur.com/a/YRg1rJG

Without a doubt the best feeling thing I’ve done for another sailor.

Hell yes this owns, the system works, sometimes!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

King of Bees posted:

Is NDAWS still a thing? Is it CaC access only? I have no idea...

NDAWS is a thing still but you gotta be AD or reservist to use it. Civilians can also use it with proper authorization and requesting an account be created (also needs a SAAR-N from whatever unit they're supporting)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad going to somehow find himself appointed CNO through a series of unfortunate events

loving lol someone already got him the khaki cover and the coffee mug

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo I didn’t realize this was just a board announcement. Maybe my av update was premature.

I mean you already know Crab Dad is going to get selected to Chief. It is foretold already.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Deus Ex Macklemore posted:

I appreciate this, thank you. I think my chances were greatly reduced when I retired 13 years ago, but I still look at the list hopefully

So seriously, congrats :)

:haw:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wibla posted:

I think we all know how they are going to write it up :laffo:

crab dad bout to get the same award the 2nd class got
orrrr he will get a floc, the navy is a land of contrasts

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Any day I don't have to shower in a cramped rear end moldy shower stall aboard ship where the water oscillates between ice cold and literally coming out of the shower head as steam (our water heaters for the heads used steam heat exchangers, and their temperature control was not the best) is a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I made board first time up, I responded by telling them I wasn't reupping and forfeiting my reenlistment quota.

Turns out if you have a bunch of EPs and the percentage is in your favor you can accidentally slide over the bar to make it into the board list. Whether you get anywhere after that is entirely up to you, and I chose to GTFO.