Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I'm starting to miss going out to sea and working 18 hour days. I keep wondering wtf is wrong with me.

No you arent. You arent missing it. Just keep reminding yourself of the suck and you wont miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You can go underway again whenever you want. Just two years ago I went on a camping trip and a bear ate half the food we had packed. Consequently our day of rest around a lake was canceled, and no one had actual toilet paper until we made it back to Aspen.

Did you eat the shitter paper?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

God drat one of my buddies asked me what branch of service the dude served in and i guessed Navy offhand with no foreknowledge of whether i was right ot not. :aaaaa:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thronde posted:

Hooray, I made first. Rip my work hours now that I'll get to enjoy cpo365. :woop:

Enjoy wasting 2 hours every other day at CPO 365 and having to do more work as well, leading to you going home at 7pm or later most days even on shore duty.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Our post field exercise 96, which we would have gotten at least 72 of regardless due to the holiday, has been pulled due to two DUIs in two days and all hands formation at 07 tomorrow. Looking forward to some great training on how to continue not getting a DUI

YOU SHOULD BE THERE AT ALL TIMES READY TO TELL YOUR SHIPMATE THEY'VE HAD ENOUGH. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

My year group is over 100% manning now, I can not wait to leave this loving unit.

Still glad i'm out. Day to day I have less spare money than when I was in, even though I am making over 2x as much, but having less stress to deal with in the workplace as in no stupidass training, no all hands calls where they shame us for not stopping windowlickers from drinking and driving, and no having to clean the office ourselves and stand watch or dumb poo poo like that.

Civ life is the tits.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Geizkragen posted:

We suck at uniforms. I'd like to think a bunch of retired admirals are making beaucoup bucks off all of the changes we constantly make, but it's probably just incompetence.

Your first suspicion is correct.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Those would be org wear for the flight deck crews only. You don't really need high-vis orange/yellow unless you're working in an environment where you need everyone to see you. Plain fire retardant coveralls would do the job admirably for everyone else.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I support it as long as it's more breathable than the foot long turtle neck jerseys they tried to give us last year which aren't even flame resistant. :suicide:

Not many things are flame resistant when they're soaked in jet fuel.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Jet fuel has relatively high flash point so flame resistance still matters. :science:

A bucket of jet fuel won't light if you drop a lit match in it, but if you drop a lit match on soaked coveralls it's BBQ city because it will have more surface area from soaking through the coverall.

poo poo you could probably drop a book of lit matches in a bucket and be alright tbh. I'll stand 100 yds away while you do that though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey shipmate, the reserves is looking for a few good men.

lol enjoy your new life man

No joke had a reserve recruiter call me out of the blue last week, it was all I could do not to laugh on the phone at it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

loving :lol: they're seriously considering bringing the kittyhawk out of mothball.

Horseshit. The lovely kitty should have been razorbladed a long time ago. Bringing her out of mothballs to do what exactly? Take up a spot on the pier because her old as gently caress systems broke and they can't find the old as gently caress contractors who still know how to work on her?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They're going to pull her out, spend several billion dollars refitting and patching her up, and they'll maybe buy a couple deployments for it. She wouldn't be ready for several years anyways so idk why they're doing it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Lazy sailors can't find someone hiding properly, they need to learn to field day better. If a person can be undisturbed for days what do you think DUST and OIL are doing?

loving christ i am triggered so hard right now, you forgot the SHIPMATE though

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what's for midrats

Waffles and green beans because they've missed 3 scheduled RAS due to operational tasking.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

When will they standardize turbine engines so aircraft carriers can also have engine parts for DDGs?

Carrier turbines are a lot bigger than DDG turbines, no?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I think Nuclear Destroyers would be cool

Didn't they do a nuclear cruiser or something? Can't say they ever got as small as a DDG.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Actually if you want to get technical, USS Truxtun was a nuclear Destroyer Leader (DLGN-35). So technically, a nuclear powered destroyer. (She was reclassified to CGN-35 though during the cruiser realignment)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That usually means someone is lying, either the container ship crew or the Navy. The investigation will get to the bottom of it.

Though I guess if the container ship tried to turn to pass in front of the destroyer instead of turning towards it's stern, that would make a collision all but inevitable.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 27, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Internet VFW > Navy 2017: I would have rather been cleaning

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I've still got all my uniforms in a box :qq:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I gave my parents my dress uniforms and gave my Dixie cups to some friends. All I have left now are some coveralls I use for painting and my NWU parka I use as a raincoat (it never rains in Colorado)

I didn't say where the box was, it's in a shed probably becoming a mouse nest.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude youre all gonna have the screaming shits. Dont fuckin drink the water. If youre on a carrier youre in the same place where their sewers discharge and the carriers treatment plant wont be able to handle what youre gonna be sucking up from the anchorage. I wish i was kidding.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reverand maynard posted:

wait how does water work on ship exactly?

it gets sucked up into the ship and then filtered via reverse osmosis and desalinated, but the water off the coast of India is special water, it's probably some of the most polluted water in the world, they discharge straight up black water into the areas where ships anchor out, and their rivers pretty much classify as black water. If your potable water processing system isn't running loving perfectly, the entire crew will get very sick, because India has loving disgusting water.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rotacixe posted:

Would packing a lifestraw be a good idea?

The gently caress is a lifestraw? Is it one of those portable purifier things? I dunno, maybe? I mean, reverse osmosis is a really good system for purification, but my experience with ship water is if you anchor in a bad port (any African or Indian port), expect everyone to get the screaming shits from the water due to some nasties that got past the purification system somehow. Also goes without saying don't drink the water in town, this applies for pretty much any non-US port visit though. I didn't get sick in Europe, but any other port, most of the crew got sick if they drank local water or drank water from the ship's supply until we got back out of port. Booze is fine to drink though, nasties are killed by alcohol.

Really the worst thing that will happen is the entire crew will be incapacitated and everyone will be standing watch from the can. (I have heard of ships having problems meeting mission because the whole crew was sick with stomach bugs)

I only bring up India because when our DESRON made port there, the entire loving crew was sick and making GBS threads and puking their brains out when they left port.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 13, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Nearly all the issues were caused by one of two things: Indians not having services in place when we arrived, and having to anchor so far offshore (in waters that are known to be rough, combined with some intermittently sketchy weather). The ship has no control over any of that. Also, you really can't compare FDNF anything to stateside. Completely different OPTEMPO and way of doing business. Also don't forget you are on the oldest aircraft carrier in the entire Navy. I'm down for being critical where it's warranted but it really isn't in this case.

Wait, you went from oldest ship in the navy to the oldest ship in the navy? Wow you got hosed.

You were on Enterprise before she got decommissioned or was I thinking of another noble? You all look the same you know?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Geizkragen posted:

I was on the second to last Enterprise cruise. I 'missed' the last one. At least they got a poo poo ton of port calls. We had as many beer days as port calls the time before.

More beer days than port calls iirc.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I definitely lost some hearing running holdback on those F35s for a month straight back in August. Hook me up with them bluetooth hearing aids. :pray:

lmao you aint gettin poo poo. Do 20 then talk to the VA, you might get some.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

THey tell me I need to rebaseline my audiogram. I have no idea wtf that means other than it sounds like they are trying to cheat me out disability. Someone please explain.

Pretty much. You are supposed to get a baseline when you come in, and any hearing exams after are measured against your baseline and your hearing loss is considered service related.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

This needs to be posted like every month.

It should be eternal like the Marine thread OP, it is a thing of beauty.

If nothing else it will immediately dissuade any potential future sailors.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 19, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Geizkragen posted:

Yeah the best part of that Chennai visit that nobody told you was that the aircrew secretly got a stash of super anti diarrhea meds and Cipro to safely fly. So not everybody was making GBS threads themselves. (No kidding it happened in late night meetings in the wardroom.)

Could have figured that because planes were still flying off the deck, and unless the pilots were climbing out the planes with lovely drawers and puke everywhere, they were getting hooked up with decent meds.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So Seabees ever actually, like, build

I saw a Seabee standing next to LNs building poo poo. He had his hands in his pockets.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wikipedia posted:

The agents tested included chemical warfare agents and other related agents:[5]

Anticholinesterase nerve agents (Agent VX, sarin, and common organophosphorus (OP) and carbamate pesticides)
Mustard agent
Nerve agent antidotes atropine and scopolamine
Nerve agent reactivators (e.g., the common OP antidote 2-PAM chloride)
Psychoactive agents (LSD, PCP, cannabinoids, and Agent BZ)
Irritants and riot control agents
Alcohol and caffeine

One of these things is not like the others

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gut reaction is likely not because "gently caress you, Navy, thats why"

Mainly because Navy gets real hung up about black boots for non-nobles. Ask someone at your command.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

Did you see it in 70mm IMAX?

I didn't even know there were other, weaker IMAXes. Kinda shocked tbh because I've only ever seen legit IMAX theaters.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Remulak posted:

Indianapolis does have a Dolby cinema, which is better. Usually.

I don't see how. IMAX has a resolution of ~18k, vs what you get from Dolby Cinema (4k)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Yep, hadn't even opened the letter yet and looking at the visible logo and PO box return address just makes my brain scream SCAM

Its those chinese harvested SF-86's coming home to roost.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

They walked a second through it so he could walk us through it because they don't want to because they are busy.

If there was a better in unit option than asking you guys trust me, I already would have done it

Paging DustyNuts to find out who to bitch at.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

I just need to know how to get BAS for the time gone, can't figure it out on my claim. Our supply department handles DTS so, that's fun

Yeah, Supply usually handles DTS in most commands, but they're usually supposed to be semi-competent. You're AD so I don't get why your command's supply department has their head up their rear end about DTS, because they should be handling it fairly often. Seriously though, if you're not getting what you need, bitch louder. If the guy who is ostensibly supposed to be handling your DTS issues is not handling what you need done, and you are communicating clearly to him what you need, go over his head. Go to the next person up, go to your LPO/LCPO. They are there to ensure you get what you need.

I am dead serious about saying drag your LPO/LCPO into it because it is their loving job to make sure their sailors aren't getting hosed over.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Hey guys remember that Transgenders in the Military training we had to do a few months ago?

edit: Lol I always forget about my red text.

God drat you got a game winning AV there.