Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm pretty sure that Stultus Maximus is senior to me.

It's primarily for fun, I've had this account since I was a midshipman and followed SomethingAwful for fun shenanigans. That's not to say that I haven't used GiP as a source of information from time to time, but mostly SA is for me to shitpost about tabletop gaming these days.

I sneak off with one of our Lt Cmdrs and play Warmachine and DnD sometimes. We have public board game days where it's mostly civilians and enlisted scum and then I schedule another day so he can get together with me and my civilian friends without worrying about someone on the ship crying about who he is spending time with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, some of my guys found out I play Magic and got all excited so now guys come up to me from time to time to talk about decks and card evaluations and stuff. One actually approached me about setting up a draft tournament for the crew because we have a lot of people who play, or are interested, for such a small ship. I gave him the thumbs up and also the go ahead to approach the MWR committee to to see if they'll pitch in some money.

Meanwhile, I actually got WOTC to donate a whole bunch of packs to the ship so it will end up being pretty much free for everyone, but don't say anything because I'm trying to surprise them. :ssh:

Yeah WOTC sent an absurd amount of stuff out here last year too. They sent like 30 prerelease boxes, 6 boosters boxes, 4 land boxes, and 40 or 50 intro decks. We held a big prerelease limited tournament and drafted the rest of the boosters. They are pretty good about making sure you can get people into their games anywhere in the world.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thronde posted:

LPDs are notoriously poorly built. Over worked crew. Maybe 26 is better. But 17 - 21 was hosed from the get go.

Sorry about sums it. What rate/rank?

Yeah even as a Marine on a ship I can see that the crew are worked to death and constantly undermanned in critical rates.

I have a good time watching movies in my office while they run around trying to fix stuff for our MCI though.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 11, 2017

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anita Dickinme posted:

I'm starting to miss going out to sea and working 18 hour days. I keep wondering wtf is wrong with me.

Buy a sailboat and go out for the day.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Boon posted:

Guys, as I sit at a Kyoto coffee shop, I can't help but think sometimes the Navy is okay... Reserves though, its key to find a forward supporting unit

I am sitting in Ogi-shi at a high school soccer field for my son's soccer tournament. He plays on a local Japanese club team. I have learned a poo poo ton more Japanese in the last year than anytime else I've spent in Japan because we are the only foreigners at any of his matches.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I've seen more Admirals this week than I've ever seen before. Apparently folks are real interested in keeping 7th fleet from playing bumper boats with their ships.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Omfg if I get called to the Chiefs' office and told not to make jokes about dolphin rape in front of the students one more loving time I swear to god, it was like nine months ago, and all I said was that it's racist to assume that all dolphins are rapists. They students were having their own conversation about dolphin rape that I interjected moderation into and I'm never going to hear the loving end of it.

Nevermind- I am dumb and the statement I wrote had nothing to do with your story about getting yelled at for talking about dolphin rape with students.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 19, 2017

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

How are you posting on SA from the ship? I got blasted the first time I loaded the site.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

vulturesrow posted:

I dont think so. It was sheer buffoonery.

And I didn't make it clear earlier; the Fat Leonard cartoons were not to suggest that there was some sort of that activity going on. Instead there were captions of pictures of him that said things "Miss me now?" and "No Leonard, mo' problems."

Yeah our trip to Thailand was similar. All of the port services folks were so used to skimming off the top that it was a gently caress ton harder for the new company to get anything done when they had to account for every dollar spent. Everyone had their hand out looking for kickbacks and when they didn't get them nothing showed up on time.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ded posted:

They don't actually have to keep poo poo stocked. The enlisted guys take care of everything. The CHOP just takes care of paperwork and approves/disapproves poo poo. Some of them get bored and qualify Diving Officer on subs. The one on my boat was the worst loving dive ever.

Supply is easy loving street.

The SuppOs on Amphibs own all of the staterooms both blue and green. Every time we offload Marines our supply spend the entire time we are back home trying to keep sailors on duty from dropping phantom deuces in shitters or on the floor. The space will go a month before it hits zones again and by then it's so foul no one wants to touch it. Of course it's some poor supply E-3 that winds up scrubbing everything out before we bring Marines on again so actually I guess SuppO isn't all that terrible.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If you like riding on ships but not actually having to do anything while on them, you should join the Marine Corps. Your job on ship will be to spend every waking moment playing videogames, at the gym, or standing in the passage ways in line for chow at least 2 hours early.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I like hanging out with sailors because it doesn't matter how bad my dad bod gets, I always look fitter than most of the Chief's mess.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MancXVI posted:

Do you owe somebody money? Is there a problem you think you’re going to solve with that signing bonus? Are you one of those people who believe there’s honor in suffering and that you need to self-flagellate in order to find your truest self?

I wonder if his recruiter told him that the tax on enlistment bonuses is like 38%.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MancXVI posted:

Unrelated: I have been out for three and a half years. I have a degree and a career and not a care in the world now. My IRR time ended in 2016.

At least once a week, I have a dream that I’m either on the ship, late for something, or that some paperwork got hosed up or some legislation passed that results in me having to reenlist and go back to the ship. Usually it ends up with me being bitter as hell during the dream because I thought I finished. I have to wake up before I’m convinced it isn’t real, even though there are ridiculous elements like traveling forward and aft via a water slide on the mess decks. Is this my dream life now?

edit: poo poo, I've posted this before. It hasn't gotten better, I guess

If it makes you feel better, it's been 6 years since I've been to Iraq or Afghanistan and sometimes I wake up with a feeling of dread because I can't find my rifle. It's a lot like when you were in High School and you'd wake up thinking you'd forgot your homework or forgot to study for a test or something only to remember it's Saturday.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Marine boot camp is a little different but one thing I took away from my time was to keep it in my head that a lot of the times the stupid games we played were rigged against us and there was no real way we could win. We were supposed to fail and it's all designed to stress you out. Try to accomplish the things you can but don't lose any sleep over messing things up or getting told what a piece of poo poo fuckup you guys are.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Geizkragen posted:

No it's because we're in a growing Navy. Nothing to do with terrible retention. Nothing at all.

I went to Iraq when we invaded back in 2003. We had a Master Sergeant (E-8) who got stop lossed because of the pending war. He spent 6 months in the desert in charge of making Marines burn poo poo in 50 gallon drums we cut in half.

Thank you for listening to my totally relevant story.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Has this jumped from rumor to reality?

Yes. Keep same rank at same duty station until separation if you can't pass pfa. No early out for failing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Boon posted:

Effective immediately or what? Because I got two dudes who gonna get processed after this cycle.

E: Can you point to the navadmin? Won't believe this till I see it.

I am on the khaki distro for the ship I am on. Otherwise I wouldn't know anything about Navy PFA regulations. Bunch of folks from 7th Fleet and comnavsurfpac have been sending emails for the last week about it. Everyone has been up in arms because they think that this will suddenly let sailors fail all of their PFAs until they want to get promoted and then they'll suddenly be competitive when they pass one. I have the message at work and I can forward it but I won't be back there for another 16 hours or so.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Bring back impressment.

Start by Shanghaiing homeless in San Diego. Put them all in deck dept and I bet most wouldn't notice the difference.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dingleberry posted:

I spoke with an active E-6 the other day about a Chief who’s prolly going to Court Martial; I mentioned he’ll most likely get busted down and booted out(medical as his foot was pulverized). The E-6 trumped out that “it takes an act of Congress “ thing about busting chiefs... I told him he should google that.

Yeah I am pretty sure this is the same across the board for Marines and Navy. It's the first 0-6 in their chain of command that has court martial authority.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MrMojok posted:

I’ll probably get run out of the thread for this but can I be the inaugural member of the Marine Det onboard?

We can take a 4 man state room together.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Laranzu posted:

While doing anti piracy operations we worked out how many ships per month we would need to pirate to pay for the LHD and crew salary.

It wasn't that many.

Yes but what about the rear end ton of Marines on the ship too? Do they get a cut?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Null Integer posted:

“Look, it’s not a fitness test, it’s an intelligence test,” said Master Chief Petty Officer Martin Gallagher. “If they can’t figure out how to get someone to lie about push-ups and sit ups for them, they don’t’ deserve to stay in.”

It's uncanny how close this is to an actual conversation that took place yesterday when talking about how we all of a sudden have a poo poo ton of sailors on FEP because they did the bare minimum on their PRTs.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lol we had someone feign chest pain during DRB today so they'd stop getting yelled at for underage drinking.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

The Bees would just replace PRT with washing cars for Chiefs' fundraisers

I know you are being slightly facetious but this is something I never understood about the Navy. They fundraise for EVERYTHING and the only people who buy poo poo from those fundraisers are the same people who do their own. So it's the same group of people swapping money back and forth over and over. I see lovely car wash after lovely car wash and terrible looking hot dogs and all kinds of other poo poo for sale all the time. That means that Sailors on the waterfront are being forced to come into work on during their off time and made to sell hot dogs or car washes or whatever.

I see it over and over where 10-15 people will come in for an entire day and raise like 150 dollars. That means each volunteer could have just gave 20 bucks and kept their day off while raising twice the amount they did washing cars. I finally convinced our Chief's mess to stop with their dumb things and instead just buy a gently caress ton of frozen pizzas, wait til Marines are on the ship and we've been underway for at least two weeks, cook pizzas and sell them for 10-15 dollars each. We pull in thousands for a single evening's work and we are all stuck on the ship anyway. Any other fundraising will have to happen when I would already be working or there is zero chance I participate. I will give them 20 bucks or so and stay home with my family since I spend the other half of the year underway.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

We have a small troop berthing below my office on the 3rd deck that gets so loud when the ship steams that we have to issue earplugs. Everyone thinks it's a joke until we stop turning squares and start to move somewhere new. Sounds like the drive shaft is slamming against the side of the berthing over and over and over.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's avoided by just buying excess booze and the chiefs hang onto it and use it at any other chief function.

I've seen them mostly use it to pay for raffle prizes to give away at the ball. iPads, Xboxes, Apple Watches, etc.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

Which is still loving bullshit to pay for with the hard earned money of junior sailors.

gently caress chief fundraisers.

I am not disagreeing. It's definitely different than the senior enlisted culture in the Marine Corps.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

M_Gargantua posted:

How much astrology and planet alignment have you had go perfect for you in your life?

Regular Division Chiefs don't really do all that much compared to E-7s in other branches (then again across the board Navy E-6s are completely underutilized) but DLCPOs do a lot on the ships I've been on. I've seen the difference between a lovely CMC and a good one and it's very much night and day in how much influence and how much of an effect on the operation of the ship the Chief's Mess has.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

7th Fleet SWO on vacation...
https://gfycat.com/VapidBruisedBarbet

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LogicalFallacy posted:

Alright. Headed to Chicago tomorrow. Hopefully I don't die or piss off my RDCs.

Tell them the pizza is better in Detroit.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

piL posted:

I've always assumed that life at places like Atsugi were just like life at neighbouring bases (ie Yoko or Sasebo--neighbouring is relative) but better.

And actually Sasebo was pretty great.

Sasebo is pretty awesome unless you are young and single and looking to party every night and the I imagine itd get old making the trip to Fukuoka all the time. For someone married with a kid it's been one of the best places we've been.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yes it is.

In other news, it turns out that water, is infact wet.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CMD598 posted:

Protip: Nobles get mad when you fail MCI.

Lol yeah I bet that messes up liberty for a bit.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Blackchamber posted:

You mean in regards to teaching Marines not to wash their hands to strengthen their immune system? You've never heard that before? Ask any marine, they teach that as far back as boot camp.

What the hell are you talking about? That's not a thing Ive ever heard or seen in my 18 years in. If nothing else marines get taught that historically poor hygiene killed more troops than the enemy. They don't usually listen but it's certainly something that's taught.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Found this document near where my Marines were standing guard.

Still trying to decode it.

Looks about right.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

vulturesrow posted:

Retirement orders in hand (in spite of BUPERS fuckery). poo poo is gettin' real.

How far out did you drop papers? My current enlistment only takes me to 19 years and 8 months but I've been led to believe I can just request a retirement date past 20 and it can be approved without any additional paperwork.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

boy are my arms tired posted:

got the switch already hooked up but yeah thanks for this, vegging out after the past two months is sounding pretty solid right now

I haven't stayed down in San Diego in 12 years but there used to be a really cool corner sandwich place in Old Town that served yards of beer too. You could go get a bite to eat and drink just enough beer to make the trip worth it without spending your entire paycheck in the gaslamp district.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anita Dickinme posted:

This week’s training: how to keep your clothes on and stay away from the woods when black out drunk.

A couple of years ago we had the SgtMaj from the Air Combat Element of the 31st MEU get relieved for getting drunk and pissing all over the tables on the mess deck. When the mess cranks told him to stop he said "this is Sergeant Major's dick and Sergeant Major's dick pisses wherever it wants to."

He was on a flight to Jakarta the next day and we never saw him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still remember trying to mount Harpoon and Tomahawk strikes on Red Navy fleets in Harpoon 2 and having to spend hours coordinating multi-vector strikes with jamming and tanker support - so the ship and sub-launched weapons reached the target area at roughly the same time as the strike packages, and still burning through hundreds of weapons for what still often turned out to be a coin toss.

Have you looked at Command: Modern Air Naval Operations? It's the spiritual successor to Harpoon and super groggy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command:_Modern_Air_Naval_Operations