Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am no sailor but wouldn't it make more sense to use the reservists in their rates in order to free up others to do lovely things like be mess cranks or whatever ? That way you cover down on what needs to be done and don't piss off the guys loaning you free labor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Google's Project Fi would be the easiest way to have overseas coverage almost anywhere in the world. Otherwise you can try taking an unlocked phone and trying to do prepaid with one of the big 3 cell providers but Japan has archaic requirements for cell phone registration and you might run into trouble not having Japanese bank account if you try somewhere in town not directly next to a us mil base.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lou Takki posted:

I feel like you've never lived on a ship...

Three years on a ship with the Navy has taught me that they mostly work them until they break a bunch and then have a safety stand down and talk a sweet game about work/life balance and how everyone cares about their mental well being. That usually lasts a couple of weeks or until the next inspection is coming up and they repeat the process.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

So you weren't in or around a division that had underway watchstanding.

I was around a bunch of divisions that had watch standing. Not being a sailor, I never stood any watches though.

Not really sure which way you are going here. Are you trying to say watch standers get more sleep because of their need to be ready for watch? Or are you trying to say standing watch exasperates the lovely sleeping schedules on ship?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Between tails and a kid who wouldn't stop running around in his spiderman costume our CO had to write specific instruction prohibiting the wearing of costumes outside of command sanctioned functions.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh man why didn’t anyone tell me you have beer night on navy ships? This poo poo is awesome!

Apparently it's been beer night every night since we pulled back in for Deck's male berthing on our ship. There were also two NJPs on Friday that may have been related.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Realchat: Don't let the AD guys shelve you as a reservist. You were AD for 10 years, let them know you know stuff about stuff and can actually do things. Absolutely be proactive on your AT, and you'll get things accomplished and feel worthwhile.

If that doesn't happen, then good news: you never have to go back there, and you can publicly shame them without fear of repercussions. It's not like they're writing your evals.

Yeah our command is pretty vocal about utilizing reservists within their rates and doing something that helps both them and the ship. If the AT guys get hosed with, all they have to do is tell their command and we stop getting guys.

I mean I am no sailor so half of what you guys talk about is greek to me but I sit in all the dumb meetings where idiots propose things like making AT guys mess cranks and stuff.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Geizkragen posted:

You give me hope that I can grind it out for two more years. Enjoy standing around in the aisles at the commissary.

I am right behind you. Counting down the days while I prep for my final PCS.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

As a Marine on FDNF ship I agree with this plan. Bonus points if you have to go to DRB twice as a DivO and have your base driving suspended permanently and still somehow make LT.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

Here I am. Two weeks in one of the smallest, shittiest bases the Navy has. No transportation.
And now, 600 British sailors and marines show up. Hooray.

Where are you?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

White Beach, Okinawa.

Also: The British don't make their sailors any hotter than the US does. Yikes.
Also: Note to the British - you are British. Accept it. You cannot spend more than ten minutes in the sun without going all lobster. It's not a good look.

I spend lots of time at white beach and agree it's the shittiest navy base I've been to. When the MEU is doing their onload they have shuttles that go to Kadena. Not sure about other times though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The northern part of the island is actually pretty cool. There are plenty of tropical beaches and places to get away from the mass of US Military. The problem is that if you've spent any time on a ship in the Pacific you've spent a bunch of time on tropical islands. Once you've seen one beach, they start to all look the same and the scenery doesn't offset the rest of the stupidity you are forced to endure while you are there.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I've only visited for a few days at a time but I always had fun in ghetto Hawaii. Decent bars, beautiful beaches, good food, and easy to get around. Not much more I'd ask out of a small island in the Pacific.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CMD598 posted:

In other news 7th fleet actually managed to pull into Manila, for once. Third times a charm I guess.

We went there several times out of Sasebo. It's just the DDGs that try to play Rock em Sock em Robots on the way in.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1024835798712180736

The Gator Navy is broken down; I am shocked, shocked I say :geno:

BHR just rotated from 7th Fleet. Op tempo is very hard on ships in that AO. It's of surprise to no one that the ship needs work.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wait navy ground combat treated like adults? Do you mean marines, seabees, or SEAL/EOD? Cause i don’t think you have a good idea what goes on in the navy’s army if you think marines are treated like adults, and you definitely haven’t been reading any of our local seabee posts if you think that about the bees.

Pfff, being restricted to walking around with five liberty buddies at a time and only permitted to consume one alcoholic beverage a day is just the cost of being such bad rear end shock troopers.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

These are lifers, they aren't fit for high level civiliam employment

I hear stuff like this from guys who got out all the time. But here you guys are hanging around a thread about the US Navy. For guys who did four years or so and supposedly moved onto much better things, you sure don't ever shut the gently caress up about your time in.

My second re enlistment was in the middle of my tour as a usmc recruiter. I hated it so much that I absolutely would have walked away had they not thrown forty some odd grand at me. I used that money to buy a house so it wasn't totally wasted.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m active duty and I think I speak for everyone when I say nobody really gives a gently caress if you think anyone hasn’t been in long enough to just talk and bitch about it sometimes.

No one has said anything about someone not being in long enough to bitch. I half jokingly posted that the same people who tell others how stupid they are for sticking around the military are still hanging around talking about the military long after they supposedly moved onto better things.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anita Dickinme posted:

Anyone got any experience with blue to green? Navy sucks Army seems a lil better.

You should give up all of your rank and join the Marine Corps. You can go to Parris Island as an E-2 and show your drill instructors your sea service deployment ribbon and the three NAMs you got for restocking the vending machines.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

I would rather be stuck on a raft than at most army bases.

I can't speak about army bases but as a marine who spent three years on an amphib, I can tell you that US Navy quality of life is better in almost every way than USMC. The only areas where the average usmc junior enlisted warrior is better off is in their work load while on ship. That comes at the cost of almost everything they do being more dangerous and having higher injury and mortality rates than their navy counterparts.

I've been with nine different units in my career and my time on ship was one of the best times I've had in the military.That includes the months spent turning squares off the coast of Okinawa.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PneumonicBook posted:

Oh my god, shut the gently caress up.

:agreed:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

It's the same way when Marines live in Navy housing. USMC regs give a married E-6 a 3 bedroom house on base. Navy regs on Sasebo say an E-6 rates 2 bedrooms unless they have more than one kid. Same thing for a CWO2. Marines would give him 3 bedrooms but on Sasebo my old CCO had to prove he was Gunny before he got his commission in order to get the better housing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wait til your admin gets audited in a year and you wind up owing 5k.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

"Mr. Bad Guy" posted:

Redacted Post

I'd be mindful of doxing myself if I were in your shoes. Writing stuff like this out has a way of biting people in the rear end if they can pin down the origins of the comments.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 11, 2018

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Feel free to ignore my recommendations. I have just been doing this long enough to have witnessed several folks get burnt. I am far too close to retirement to risk anything myself.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fred Dawes posted:

Thanks for your helpful tips! I'm not much a drinker, so my main focus after getting qual'd is finding a high-achieving peer group and learning as much as I can about my job(s).
In the mean time, I need a new phone. What carrier is best for Europe / South-West Asia? The Google Pixel 3 looks really nice right now...

Just buy an unlocked phone directly from the manufacturer. International models come with more than one sim card slot. I just bought cheap sim cards when I pulled into random ports. Otherwise the Google Fi thing isn't a terrible idea.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I also got $40,000 to re-enlist, have a #blessed day.

So...after taxes you got a down payment on a slightly used V6 automatic Mustang at one of those "Buy Here, Pay Here E-2 and Up Financed" places outside the gate?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

King of Bees posted:

Seems to mean finalize or finish something. It makes me irrationally angry. Or rationally I suppose.

Yeah we use it to indicate when something is finalized and no further changes will be accepted.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm way more concerned about having to eat galley food for two weeks and what the gallons of texas pete to make the food edible will do to my rear end in a top hat.

What would you do if you ever had to actually go out on a ship?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

M_Gargantua posted:

Having lived at both Guam is massively superior to Edwards. Edwards is much further than 90 minutes. and even living in Palmdale was nearly 2 hours to get to The north edge of the city. It’s a miserable place in the middle of the desert.

Guam is a beautiful tropical island.

Diego Garcia and Kwajalein at least aren’t places where you could spend your whole career.

I only visited but I'd take Guam over Okinawa any chance it were given. It's like ghetto Hawaii with less people.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Four for four of you dont count an AA as a degree!

Only ever got one case of down right bad advice with asking for Mahu in Hawaii.

There’s some wind of orders to the admirals staff on the Blue Ridge for over 100 days. Should I throw my hat in the ring? My coworker a reaaaaal sailor is scoffing at it because it’s a soft job not like his time on destroyers.
Jerk, I didn’t join the Navy reserves for a tough time, wtf.

Not a sailor but I've seen the Blue Ridge a few times while stationed on amphibs in Japan. 100 days isn't enough time to really hate your life and getting a chance to hang out in Japan is always cool. I had a blast both times I was stationed there.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Not a sailor but I've seen the Blue Ridge a few times while stationed on amphibs in Japan. 100 days isn't enough time to really hate your life and getting a chance to hang out in Japan is always cool. I had a blast both times I was stationed there.

Also if Blue Ridge puts reservists to work like we did, you will be freeing someone up to get snagged for poo poo work while you do in rate stuff. That way the reserves stay happy and keep sending folks out and the ship has another person to do things no one else wants to.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Commoners posted:

because they're trying to build their poo poo barricade in a timely manner and have it last longer than a week.

So we sent a bunch of Army and Marine Corps Infantrymen.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CMD598 posted:

Speaking of bees, the guys here are apparently getting work for Christmas.

That looks a lot like Iwakuni with all of their new housing they've built over the past ten years or so.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

when was the last time someone got restricted to bread and water

The last time they put Marines on an LHD?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

that was a legit question btw I wasn't trying to be lovely I just never did a float

My answer was serious too. In three years on an amphib I saw people confined with bread and water maybe three or four times.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Good luck in San Diego. Might want to get a motorcycle and ride into work because traffic is a motherfucker.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I cant decided whether or not to make a joke about reporting this post for telling me to kill myself, because I honestly cant tell if you meant it that way or not, lol

(Mrs. Bad Guy absolutely forbids me to get a motorcycle in SD, incidentally)

So I regularly ride from Temecula to Camp Pendleton and 32nd St or Temecula out to March ARB. I ride a motorcycle everyday because the 5 and the 15 are pretty much perpetual gridlock. Lane splitting halves my commute and I figure it's not the most dangerous thing I do on a regular basis so win/win for me.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Gray Matter posted:

It is 2019, surely there can't still be people that legitimately believe "contact high" is an actual thing that happens?

I felt like I was getting a contact high riding behind a group of stoners yesterday. Three of the four occupants of the vehicle were blazing up Cheech and Chong style and I was stuck behind them for ~5 miles or so on a twisty road. I wonder if DWI for smoking weed is a thing that CHP does now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DustyNuts posted:

Speaking of that, it looks like there isn't a Marine thread anymore? Did they all die/get out? Future Navy threads should be DEPT of the Navy threads from now on maybe?

It's the motorcycle forum but no one posts and I don't want to talk to myself so it sits unused.