Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The Chief's Mess: The cause of, and solution to, most of the Navy's Problems.

Could also be "the wardroom" or "the admirals" or "the enlisted."

Conclusion: the Navy, since the beginning of time, is a world of contrasts, and many agree there are no solutions.

Deep sixing the entire fleet like the class D fire it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We had a frocked AT2, busted down to ATAN, picked up AT3 again and frocked, busted again, adsepped as ATAA. Quite a roller coaster, and he was mainly a decent guy, just didn't handle alcohol well.

e: also, I have escaped Norfolk. :toot:

Now to just avoid running into a wild fire while driving west.

Around 2008 in the "Squeeze" era where they had all these things to kick people out, there was an LS1 I knew who was a swinger-type, didn't come back to the ship on time during a port call to Hong Kong after news his wife was doing more swinging than he was. They called it an ARI, then looked 15 years back into his history to the mid-90s to find another ARI, and that counted as 2x and adsepped him OTH.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Was talking with someone the other day and got reminded of the Navy getting rid of the Postal Clerk rate in mid-00s. Like with most things in the Navy when rate mergers happened then you no longer that experts in a field but generalists who suck at everything. Thank you for attending my TEDx talk.

My buddy was trained to be a PHAN for VP squadrons.

He's an MC1 now after 14 years because he didn't know anything about journalism or videography when all that occurred.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Sounds about right. Always had either a jumper or that one stowaway in 2008 per deployment on that ship.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
CID Corry and NAS Pensacola shut down tonight and tomorrow. Sandbags are up infront of the compounds/schoolhouses. Students had to put trash bags around all the equipment.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
haha get hosed
https://twitter.com/Vahn16/status/1305630270243188737

for the record

Vriess fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 14, 2020

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
NAS Pensacola is COR 1 until the week is over.

The eye of the hurricane literally ran right above us. Hell, 95% of the county is still without power and it's gonna take all weekend for just that to come back.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
NAS and CID are both going to be open for business Monday, says them.

We will see what level of operations substantiate open for business then, I guess.

Utilities project 95% Connectivity to the grid by Tuesday night in Escambia county.

Which means that people might be coming into work without the capability to have taken showers since Monday before. Let alone access to power or clean water.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

AlternateNu posted:

The bolded part is what made me laugh the most. Who the gently caress would want to get sent TAD to a NOSC to qual on a PQS that means absolutely nothing anywhere else?

Of course, truth is always stranger...yadda yadda yadda.

Just as there's people who will visit every command on the base, or every squadron in the air wing to get more coins, there will be people who want to go to commands, even TAD, just to get the shinies.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

titties posted:

If you never drank until you passed out and then woke up in a hostel / phone booth / under a park bench and had to be carried onto the boat were you ever really in the navy?

not me personally, but I've had to rescue such people

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Bunch of fuckery with orders.

Students report to JCAC,, get put into holding for a month, get into class, some go through all 7 months of it, and graduate to be placed back into holding for 2+ months without orders.

By the time they hit month 5 its pretty apparent their GPA is going to push through the last 3 modules.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Crab Dad posted:

At leas the weathers nice in Cory.

Mid-20s last night.

Starting to see 3rd generation instructors; my former students finishing their enlistment and coming back to teach ad I did when I went through in 2010.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Crab Dad posted:

Just one more mob.

I can stop at any time.

I lived in south Odenton and didn't have any issue going thr backroad to Waaaaaagh Chapel or Crofton for late night eats at the Nautilus.

LPO lived in Columbia before moving to Glen Burnie.

Other dude lived in Ellicott city until it turned to Atlantis. Then he moved to Tampa last year and that went underwater.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Nautilus always had lovely coffee for me. Go here. It's still open since I moved away.

https://www.grumpscafe.com/

I didn't go to get coffee because I don't drink coffee.

I go because it's nearly 3am and they have a 10 page full menu with huge huge serving sizes.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Younger sailors have always drank that sugary poo poo. Coffee is generally an e-5+ drink.

I know on deployment I’d supplement coffee with rip-its when we’d get them from the platform.

When I was deploying on Nimitz between 2005-2009, the airwing were filling their camelback with monsters, so it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

I had to go through caffeine withdrawal from a chemical dependency when I was 21, so I do what I can do keep the tolerance low.

If I really needed focus/energy, I used B vitamins. Spent 4 years as an E-5, but when I went into R&D, and left operations, needing artificial sources of energy stopped becoming a thing.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Nystral posted:

Wait USN ships have espresso machines?

Pay off the taggers and you can bring aboard and plug in anything you want.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
I got an ET1 to sign off and tag a wireless router and I'd put them in berthing to create a wireless LAN so people could boot up their laptops in their racks and play games together.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/spawnofKahn/status/1613327011799306241?t=BZ7BPeK0NQaMXEFM41sGDw&s=19

I only visited ONI once during active duty for a predeployment thing and man did that place just reek of depression

Used to routinely visit the NMIC. Good cafeteria. Pity it is out if the BAS budget for daily consumption.

There's a gym there that's outside of the SCIF area so people could workout with their personal electronics, but they kept forgetting to take them out and bringing them into the secure areas.

Buncha dipshits.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Army used to sent WO1s and WO2s to our school and the Navy leadership would get so so mad when soldiers would call them "chief"

Our QA DIVO was a CWO3 and he seemed to really enjoy life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Give him a written question on diagnosing a faulty roller in the admiral's desktop laserjet not something about fixing a broken antenna.

Timed Practical exam of setting up a Lexmark 5165dn on SIPR laptops, none of which are yet connected to a ships network yet.