Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Noble is like the gentlest ribbing you can possibly give an officer. I called a 4 star a noble once at an all call and he laughed his rear end off. Be more like him. If people were really trying to upset you or rag on you we’d have chased you off by now. The guys and gals on this sub forum can be the kindest most supportive people on the net- or they can just as easily write you off as an uptight tool and you can be our new m0t and be ostracized for your trouble. Just to educate you, the woman that was giving you advice earlier- The Valley Stared, she was the DCA on the Fitzgerald when it had that collision at sea. She’s a loving super hero, and if she’s being kind and generous enough to give you a little insight about GiP you should definitely listen to her. I think you’ll like it here, you just gotta lighten up a bit. You’ll always be known as a noble here, just laugh and remember you make the big bucks compared to your average petty officer. It’s like... a tiny price to pay, compared to the benefits of being an officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ManMythLegend posted:

I wish we weren't nobles. Having to constantly put down peasant uprisings is a real distraction from the cocktail party circuit.

Listen, we all know that the E-4 mafia runs the military. The nobles are just figure heads. ;)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know what helped me a ton with PTSD, Anxiety, and Depression? Weed. Pull your waiver package while you can and take whatever medical separation and benefits they’ll give you. I can promise you that walking the path of being Trans in the military will be loving awful in every possible way. With a medical sep you might get a retirement and keep TRICARE and a pension. Plus then: Weed. Klonopin and Zoloft ain’t got poo poo on weed. Neither do breathing exercises or Yoga.

poo poo just works.

Not sure if it would make going through gender dysphoria any easier, but I gotta imagine it’d probably help that situation for you to- whatever help you may need, not that I’m trying to imply that your in need of any help re: Your gender.

So make it easy on us so we can be easy on you: How do you identify and what are your preferred pronouns?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can’t see the real harm in overweight sailors. Honestly, I can’t. You guys live on loving boats in the middle of the ocean- being able to run a 6 minute mile doesn’t loving matter in the middle of the ocean when your on a destroyer that’s primary job is firing various guided missiles. Or a submarine. Or an amphib. Or a carrier.

Not being retardedly fat, I can understand, but honestly, I cannot fathom the harm caused by the navy being a little fatter than it’s sister services. It makes sense, it’s not like the navy’s ability to fight has honestly been impacted by being the “fattest” branch.

Just not seeing the problem, I guess. Obviously your SEAL’s and USMC assigned corpsman etc, that’s different. But they’re fighting in entirely different domains and poo poo than the vast majority of sailors.

Ya’ll need a tiered PT system or something, because there is absolutely loving nothing that’s one size fits all, or even most, with the Navy.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

Portable Submersible pumps weigh 75 pounds and you have to carry them up "stairs" that are practically vertical if not use an outright ladder. And when you're carrying them its because something is flooding and you need to hustle.

Firefighting gear isn't light, fire hoses aren't light. Fat guy in a fire suit even without a real fire get overheated and exhausted pretty quickly.

Also especially on submarines most areas are just wide enough for two skinny guys to pass if they turn sideways.

Maybe a focus on functional fitness? Like the heavy equipment carrying and firefighting, you can train to that without running 3-5 miles a day. A simple stationary bike or elliptical and doing functional strength training should be more than adequate for everything you described.

Sounds like you need strong sailors, more than skinny or fast running ones. Like I said man, a tiered a system makes sense- and being obese isn’t compatible with military service regardless of branch, but overweight? I don’t find that to be a huge issue for the USN.

Keep in mind I’m being specific with overweight here, I.E. higher than a BMI of 25 but less than 30. I’m not talking egregiously fat folks, just your normal not skinny but not obese overweight types.

I understand why fitness is good, I do. I enforced and lived that poo poo for years, but I also know for a fact that being overweight isn’t necessarily inherently bad or a disqualification for being good at your job and being able to execute your duties.

You’ll find that if your service goes full retard in response to these studies, that it will result in hilarious (to me, the uninterested outsider) consequences. Hell, the last time you guys cracked down on PT big time I had to help our command separate 3 IS’s and 1 CT who cost the government insane amounts of money to train, let alone clear. Two landed jobs as contractors doing similar stuff like they did while on AD. Except now they cost way more to pay, don’t deploy or go on ships, and they’re all as fat and happy as can be. That’s loving hilarious, to me at least. No idea what happened to the other 2. But it was all honorable discharges, nobody lost benefits, I’d have had a goddamn litter of kitten if someone had tried to give anything besides honorable, but luckily no one did and I’m pretty sure the regs say that if the only thing wrong is failing PT than it’s an honorable. But you just know if you crack down again there’ll be Khaki’s trying to gently caress people.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 5, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, let’s just ask The Valley Stared.

Statistically speaking, you had overweight sailors on the Fitz, and they had to have been part of saving the ship- what role would you say physical fitness played in the saving of the ship? Were there issues? Were any overweight sailors a limfac or straight up impediment to saving the ship? If you have the time or inclination could you speak to how you feel physical fitness is or isn’t important for DDG sailors?

I’d be very interested to hear your take, if you feel like joining the discussion.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He uh, he med retired as an E-5 or E-6 and is below 60% VA disability rating with those numbers.

That’s the opposite of “FIRE”. I’m in a similar boat but I’m in school, I’m 100% w/ the VA, and I also got a wife earning the big bucks. Also: We’re DINK living, and I still don’t consider myself to be financially independent and retired early. I just have $45k a year tax free for not dying yet. And cheap TRICARE insurance. That covers the bills, and naturally the mortgage. My GI bill money is just paying for dumb poo poo like vacations or random house upgrades. I never see the money because the wife put dibs on it. My wife’s income is totally hers, like I have no access to it, but she spoils me. I don’t want for much.

There’s no secret to retiring young. There will be fights between you and miss six figures a year, though. I don’t care how evolved or woke your relationship is. I’ve been with my wife since we were 15 and we actually split up right when I retired, and almost didn’t make it. We have a strong relationship but before I went back to school the resentment radiated at me was loving thick.

Plus if you truly retire young, you can pretty much expect to die the same way: Young.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Put simply, collecting disability while your spouse earns six figures isn't "retired."

Exactly.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

vulturesrow posted:

Assuming you weren't married, could you or could you not live on 45k a year?

I couldn’t afford my current life on just my 45k but I could easily live nicely on 45k a year in different circumstances.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Just found out my future ship is certainly in dry dock just not in the continent I was told it was in. Was looking forward to an ocean crossing oh well.

Ah yes, the navy is catching up to you. Sorry crab man, I was looking forward to stories from the med.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
TRIcare beats the gently caress out of what my wife’s job offers, and I doubt I get offered anything better starting out in IT / Programming in 2021.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Casualty != KIA

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are you the P-3 Nav or the P-8 Nav?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Be an officer and get poo poo on part time in NG where I want to live versus get poo poo on full time enlisted in the Navy seems pretty straightforward.

The milpers also requires a commission to be eligible for most types of inter service transfer.

You know what’s better than being an officer and getting poo poo on in the military?

Being a civilian. Full stop, it’s better.

You gotta learn to think outside the military construct. The Army National Guard in almost every state is so much more hosed up than the USN it’s not even funny.

You 👏🏿 don’t 👏🏿 have 👏🏿 to 👏🏿 stay 👏🏿 in 👏🏿 the 👏🏿 military 👏🏿 to 👏🏿 be 👏🏿 happy 👏🏿 or 👏🏿 successful 👏🏿

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CMD598 posted:

So I just some locally done surgery and now I apparently have orders to San Diego because apparently limdu disqualifies you instantly for being overseas even if you're being treated overseas. :V

Pro: I can get out of the F18 community
Con: The NLT is next month and I have a family, pets, and of course goods to move and a car to dump for what wouldn't surprise me to be a temp gig.

What’s wrong with the F-18 community?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

No loving kidding.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Holy loving poo poo. A 2,000lb bomb couldn’t hope to do that much damage. That’s loving nuts.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What in the wide world of gently caress, Navy. New frigate class named after a goddamn confederate? In loving 2020?

Jesus.

Edit: There’s other good non confederate naval figures named Brooke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mercer_Brooke

Maybe they’re naming the class after him?

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 18, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wonder Free posted:

We launch ashes out of our plane into hurricanes sometimes. I usually do about one a season. Generally just old hurricane hunters though.

Oh poo poo that’s awesome, if I were a hurricane hunter I’d totally want that as my funeral.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh boy Souda. Just arrived and I’m already chasing pussy on the pier.

Can’t wait to get to the NEX to buy some kibble to treat them with.

Keep it in your (I think I remember this correctly) married pants, Crab Man. It ain’t worth it. Trust me. I mean it- Trust me, brother.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s literally cats man. There’s a poo poo ton of cute feral cats and dogs all over both bases and I just want to cat nap them all.

Oh phew, I was so disappointed when I got a bad read on that. I love cats too. My bad, sorry Crabman.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He’s gonna be a master chief with 16 years TIS. Watch.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

maffew buildings posted:

Did I ever tell you guys about how the dude who jumped off the Lincoln last summer was engaged to a girl in my unit who wrote him a letter about how she cheated on him right before he went DUSTWUN? The story of how deep she went on losing her poo poo is remarkable. Can amplify if you guys want but also understand where maybe that's not a go.

I’m always up for a good Jody story.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

This. Officers are commissioned and in until they are either separated for some reason or they resign and the resignation is accepted. The president is under no obligation to accept a resignation, though, and can keep officers working until they're done with them. I believe Obama denied Gen. McChrystal's retirement more than once because he needed him for the continuation of operation useless dirt.

Haha, nooooope. Barry and McChrystal famously did not get along. Barry fired his rear end after he gave less than flattering remarks to a Rolling Stones reporter.

The army Chief of Staff during peak OIF was returned from retirement and got age and time in service waivers to keep serving. Can’t remember his name, but it’s the closest situation to what you describe that I recall.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please don’t hunt bears.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Posted this in the Cold War / AirPower thread but it’s relevant here.

quote:

So I read an op-ed today about the navy’s upcoming procurement crunch.

The gist of it is: Columbia class SSBN’s must be procured and there’s no if’s ands or buts about it.

At the same time the USN is working on it’s own Next Generation Air Dominance (Same name as the USAF but often referred to as F/A-XX) aircraft. Additionally our cruisers and destroyers are hoping to be replaced by a DD-X that’s focused much more on naval warfare. Finally, while the Virginia SSN’s are good boats and are capable especially given their price- they’re not the answer to future submarine warfare scenarios though, and an SSN-X is in the works too, likely to be more in the vein of the Seawolf class than Virginia.

Here’s the rub. With Columbia and it’s sister ships being locked in, the navy can pretty much afford only one of the above NGAD, DD-X, and SSN-X.

I feel like we can get the most bang for our buck with the new submarine or destroyers, but NGAD is a compelling program none the less.

Thoughts?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They tend to have outsized positions of power and authority compared to their other SOF contemporaries.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nick Soapdish posted:

Just saw that the HM that was killed graduated HS in 2017 so he was only like 21 or 22 :smith:

gently caress.

:smith:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

Sorta kinda but not really but also yes.

This.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The invasion of the Ukraine is gonna be livestreamed. I think at a certain point the absolute massive amount of quality cameras that are incredibly small is just gonna change the face of the game. I mean, it already has.

It’s just Ukraine. Not “The Ukraine”.

Since 1991, at least.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Howard Phillips posted:

The Ukraine is literally half Russians, if that wasn't true there wouldn't be hundreds of thousands of ethnic Russian speaking separatists fighting for their freedom.

:stare:

You being serious, man?

Because… :stare:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That’s true enough, so:

Stultus Maximus posted:

gently caress off tankie.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ded posted:

Tradition.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Commoners posted:

You're talking about PQSes and he's riding a firetruck to go eat dinner. Further evidence of the real winner here.

Goddammit I’ve been trying for hours to put it more succinctly but I can’t. You are 100% on point, all meat, no fat.

I had a charmed Air Force career but nothing that approaches crab dad level of of charmed careers.

More people have won the Powerball than have had Crab-Dad level of charmed military careers. Like, a lot more.

I’m not jealous, I’m in loving awe of the guy. I tell random strangers about this navy reservist I know who’s playing part Forrest Gump and Part Gandalf in the Navy Reserves. None of the vets believe the stories. Neither do the civvies.

It’s just all so drat improbable. You lucky bastard.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crab Dad posted:

If the mission is still going I’d volunteer for the USNS Trenton again.

You could always try for a mob to a combatant command. You’ve got a TS and you are an IT right? J6 at PACCOM (Pearl Harbor) or EUCOM/AFRICOM (Germany) are the best COCOM locations. A close third goes to NORTHCOM at Peterson SFB Colorado. CENTCOM and SOCOM are in Tampa Florida, and SOUTHCOM is in Miami. Second to last place is USTRANSCOM in the St Louis area and last place is loving STRATCOM in Omaha Nebraska.

I can’t recommend SOUTHCOM with a good conscience- the cost of living is such that you’ll go broke to not be staying in a literal crack den. Plus, the loving entire command has been an exercise in navel gazing for decades.

The missions at USTRANSCOM and STRATCOM kind of make up for their locations.

Honestly I feel like a NORTHCOM/STRATCOM/TRANSCOM would be easy to swing for without competition and would be rewarding. EUCOM is probably desperate for bodies- but I can’t imagine it’s as easy to swing a Germany mob. There’s got to be competition for that. CENTCOM and SOCOM are hell, I won’t lie. Unless you didn’t get your fill of operation useless dirt I’d avoid these two. Especially since SOCOM is more of an administrative command than combatant command, 4 star commander or not.

We had navy IT’s that worked in our J2 as J6 liaisons and they were almost all reservists. Seemed like a great job.

As long as you’ve got that TS some of the combatant commands are a great place to do your mobilization.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

Just found out I was selected for O5.

Now, I have to deal with APPLY board bullshit. >_> Wooooooo.....

Just found out I was selected by my weed guy to get a free half ounce of Afghani Kush. I win.

Condolences about that whole commander business. At least you’ll be making pretty good scratch as an O-5. They better, for all the fuckery you are in for.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
“Hello fellow Sailors, let’s have a seaman filled day!” - John Paul Jones, probably.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was gonna say he couldn’t be a TM as they haven’t been on subs since 95, but then i saw he was 47 so he may have started as a TM before getting merged into STS.

Dude left the navy in early ‘03, so that checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Woodchip posted:

Drones are boys though.

If my dick has been in it? It’s a chick.

Drones are chicks.

Also I’ve noticed that a lot of the holes in the wall at truck stops are chicks.

Am I right?

Guys?

…ladies?

Well gently caress ya’ll.