Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

So I get a phone call asking me if I am intersted in some ADT orders. Ok sure. On a whim I go check out DTS to see how my rejected voucher is doing from last December. You know, the one where they refused to pay out my flight home from Norfolk and my stipend due to it not being submited by NOSC correctly because it straddled two fiscal years? The one were I've been in contact with people left and right trying to get cleared up?

Manually dropped and archived without so much as an email notifier.

WTF.

DTS.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Best part is all three people who are a part of the email chain are out of town on vacay until next Monday.

Use your recall card and call them. Assholes (try to) do it to me all the time

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I am currently experiencing what is easily the worst port call I've had in my almost 20 years. If you're ever told you are going to India, just go ahead and lower your expectations, especially if you are on a carrier (and thus have to anchor out).

Our liberty boat sank in Brazil.
Did India top that yet?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Dude youre all gonna have the screaming shits. Dont fuckin drink the water. If youre on a carrier youre in the same place where their sewers discharge and the carriers treatment plant wont be able to handle what youre gonna be sucking up from the anchorage. I wish i was kidding.

The LHD ran out of toilet paper after an unexpected extended stay in Kenya's harbor.

It was pretty brutal.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LordNad posted:

I got my hearing aids today and thought I would get some old model. I got some brand new poo poo that came out in May. It bluetooth connects with my phone. Safety stand downs and quarters just got a lot more tolerable.

You're AD and got some? What kinda bull did you have to go through to make that work?

I know my hearing is starting to get rough with background noise. Just didn't think you could stay in.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LordNad posted:

Or shell out the 2500 for your own. They fuckin have sound cancellation when in bluetooth mod.

Sold if they can sound cancel reality.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Virginia Slams posted:

Anyone know if either pair of Marine corps hot or cold weather brown boots are authorized in type 3s with no ega? I have both pairs I was issued from a few years back and trying to be cheap

They managed to sneak in a "Navy certified NWU boot" into this reg. It gets rid of the "but it meets the criteria" back door everyone uses for black boots.

It's really only the Belleville this time. Technically only the steel toe unless the CO authorizes the non steel toe.

Although there is a PDF floating around with the Rocky boots. Not sure how true that is.

(And yes, it's all about whether people care enough to bitch. Knowing that most chiefs exist only to enforce uniform standards and collect paychecks, I'd bet on getting called out)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Anyone ever hear of the Chief of Naval Personal Identity Force before?

You got some mail too?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Yeah the whole thing is they have to do their own thing, don't gently caress with the process, because they will gently caress you up if you get caught.

Basically gently caress compassion, Chief season is only a couple weeks he can tough it out or go back to being a first class.

I mean, it's the last few weeks he's going to have to do any work. Might as well let him do it.

Counterpoint
Chief initiation is loving dumb and anything you can do to make it less retarded is cool

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Fine fine I'll let it drop.

Was a good donut though.

See my edit. I didn't finish my thought.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
No one ever lacks a dick with which to say "suck it"

My wife has a dick with which to say "suck it". Dicks don't matter.

You run a Good drat job. Your sailors did a good drat job.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 19, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
What is the SAR effort for if they haven't said anything about overboards?

lovely press release that just causes more confusion and panic.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Boxer still had some ancient UYK 20 (or 43, don't remember) in a room off combat in 2008.

Not sure if it was even still in use, but that was a lot of dead weight to carry around if it wasn't.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Lmao if GPS goes down on a warship, they would be absolutely hosed because no one on the bridge team knows how to navigate by the stars.

"GPS is down! Does anyone know how to navigate?"

*Crickets*

"Find me some nerd loving CT or nuke who does"

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

USN never broadcasts AIS.

They have the capability, and I've seen them broadcasting as US WARSHIP . If you go to a vessel tracking site and drop that in, you get results.

Sometimes they do WARSHIP ### where the ### is the hull number

Did it a bunch during the anti piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 23, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know they can, but anytime they are it's an exception. Standard is do not broadcast.

Yeah true, was just sperging on the never claim

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Impromptu Type 3 NWU boot opinion poll:
What we have been authorized to wear in non steel toe are the:

Rocky S2V
Belleville C333

Any horror stories or major failings anyone has had with these?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

buttplug posted:

The instruction basically says "any dessert tan" boots. That being said, Rocky S2Vs are *very* good. I've had two pairs of them, and both of them are extremely comfortable from day 1 and require very little breaking in. Currently in a pair of them now, actually. Can't speak for the Bellevilles.

The recent one I read actually specified "Navy approved" which limits choices a bit.

The pass down we got was Belleville or S2Vs.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

buttplug posted:

Always question "pass down". poo poo like that is probably why FTZ got nailed.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2017/NAV17015.txt

It says "Navy certified" but I have yet to see an enumerated list of certified dessert tan boots. Now, having just come thru ECRC Norfolk and been issued a full seabag of type III poo poo, I can tell you they are giving out Rocky S2Vs, Bellevilles, and some lovely "Wellco" brand.

Yeah, the Navy Certified line. That means it's not "any desert tan boots".

It gets rid of the old 9 inch black leather steel toe loop hole. Now there will be some stupid enumerated list, whether local or Navy wide.

And I'd rather not buy 200 dollar boots again.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress so if you have to wear black boots you are still stuck with only steel toe.

I dont loving need steel toe in an office.

Ping your chain to see if they can work on the CO to authorize the sneakers.

Ours realized we all work in an office (except for the deployers, who need steel toe) and gave the go ahead to switch to coyote brown with no steel toe

I'm at a NIOC and we've had two not stupid COs in a row. Really fighting the odds now.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
They were all grounded indefinitely due to the O2 issue. Wouldn't that push maintenance anyway?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Some random sailor just gave me his 50% off coupon for an electronic purchase at the NEX while I was buying a new gameboy for my kids(I swear).

Woo! Saved 75 bucks.

Probably the only time the NEX is competitive on electronics prices

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Regarding the whole protected sleep thing: There are ships that have made it work. It can be done. Those who have made it work speak positively of it. Its interesting to see how much resistance immediately springs up when something new is proposed, even if it is something that might help, you know, not loving crash ships into other ships.

Because it really takes being able to say "No, we can't do that right now" instead of "Yes Sir" while gargling their balls. It also needs to respected by the highers, instead of having them flip poo poo. This happens at all levels from DH on down. Its a culture shift and those are hard.

Sometimes tasks need to be prioritized and shifted around while expectations get managed.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Two Finger posted:

You're for real? Every merchant ship has people asleep during the day. I used to work 0000-1100 and sleep during the afternoon

The sheer amount of poo poo we had to go through to justify sleeping during the day was unbelievable. We worked 1800-0600 (really 0900 after the morning brief)

Chiefs would still routinely roll through berthing and yell at us for being asleep during some retarded cleaning stations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
If people really cared about "are troops" I wouldn't have had to just spend 40 minutes burning and clipping errant stitches out of my loving Type IIIs. Quality is way down from the Lightweight Type Is.
Prison industries gettin' worse at quality

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Null Integer posted:

Headline: Navy Praises leadership of USS SHILOH over record amount of responses from Command Climate Survey.

(They still only got less than 50%)

We're sitting at a cool 9% for our directorate.

Maybe 8% overall.

At least this year the URL wasn't something like http://navycommandsurvey.fart/A37b7mmmiIiIImhhrfuckyou753899643246.aspx

Maybe we'll get to 12%.

Oh wait the unclass hasn't worked right for two weeks.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Madurai posted:

You'd think they'd want bright colors for visibility in man-overboard situations.

This is still somehow fallout from the sea warrior phase the Navy had back in 08

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

We've spent the last two days we were supposed to be in Sri Lanka doing not liberty in Sri Lanka as literally none of services provided were compatible with the aircraft carrier. Lots of anonymous cartoons of Fat Leonard are popping up around the ship which is kind of funny but getting screwed out of a liberty port sucks.

Sounds like someone else is skimming off the top. They are just too stupid to make it seem plausible.

Port services cost breakdowns were my favorite message traffic to read.

Edit: especially when the stuff provided is super subpar

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I dont think so. It was sheer buffoonery.

And I didn't make it clear earlier; the Fat Leonard cartoons were not to suggest that there was some sort of that activity going on. Instead there were captions of pictures of him that said things "Miss me now?" and "No Leonard, mo' problems."

That was pretty clear. At least with Leonard around you got something.

And herpes.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
More power points, ibuprofen and hydration is the true need

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

KetTarma posted:

If you guys talk this guy out of accelerating his life in the nuclear field, I will never forgive you.

Future shipmate, this is your chance to work with state of the art technology on exciting weapons platforms. You can expect a low-stress lifestyle that primarily involves watching your advanced systems maintain themselves. You can definitely expect a six figure income once you decide to leave the service, if you ever do. The nuclear field is always looking for new teammates as we see unprecedented levels of growth.

I don't understand how you could type this without stroking out.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

He is. He's an HT.

edit:

I'm already signed with the navy, as of last well Friday. And I'm sure everyone would've been confused as hell if I'd decided to go with the marines. For some reason, getting a 99 on your ASVAB makes people rather enthusiastic about getting you into stuff like nuke.

I too, scored high on the asvab. They the nuke recruiter guy at MEPS trotted out, dangled 100,000 dollars in front of my face and did a dance.

I told him gently caress no, because I'm not a retard with a retarded HT shittter fixer as a brother giving me awful advice.

Edit: who was the last guy to go nuke in the thread? Didn't he come back a few months later hating everything?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

boy are my arms tired posted:

do yall have any anecdotal stories or thoughts on STG?

Not the worst. Not the best. Some cool duty stations. Also not much going on post Navy afaik.

Hope you like owning the sonar spaces in the bottom of the middle of nowhere in a ship though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I couldn't find the gif. On mobile.

goon in a well posted:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Someone fill me in on Slavic Crime Yacht's Crime Yacht reference. Missed that somewhere.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I'm legit blitzed and on shoreb duty as a not nuke and that was the worst thing ever.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

SeismicTriangle posted:

Cool, class has been great so far you guys are doing a good job. Haven't gotten to the hard stuff yet though only a few weeks in.

It's not much harder.

Unless you gently caress up your math and are off by 1 in every block of some dumb loving sub net test.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

It was fun to draw a penis on VMS during midwatch and see who would notice first, combat or the CO.

The answer is nobody. Also, looking back it was really stupid.

I always plotted The Kraken as a hostile undersea Target when crossing the Marianas trench.

Also when bored.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

It's an aafes and I am gun-shy of using off base since last time they gently caress up real bad and didn't realize until next drill.

Nothing PRT in the books, have a burger and fries at the airport before flying home.

That's really strange. Normally the off base joints are infinitely more competent than the on base one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

My unit got us the Marriott on Waikiki again this year for our AT.

We only get one drink voucher per day though. That's some bullshit.

I'll use it if you don't want their pity voucher.