Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DTS has never failed me but it's always been a nightmare to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I almost forget I had to pay my gtc off and they are still auditing my c school.

They loving owe me 3k still.

All I used the card for was my room and flight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I think the worst GTCC thing is with rental cars. I'm up on AT in the Seattle area now, and the rental car company told me "any tolls you incur will be billed to the card on file about 45 days after you return the car." So, worst case is that I liquidate my travel claim, split disbursement to the GTCC, get my 30-days-later CYA statement saying "0 balance" on it, and three months later be on the 90-day delinquent list for $8 in tolls.

Solution: don't go over any toll bridges, I guess.

Also, my GTCC expired at the beginning of the month and they sent it to my old address, even though I'd updated my address on Citi's website (in October, even). I got to play "guess the new expiry" on the phone with SATO on Friday before flying out on Saturday. Good times.

While we're bitching about DTS, we had a guy with funded tickets and hotel get CANXd from his AT because he didn't have a DTS profile. His orders got approved and everything, and he just called the SATO number on Friday and got everything set up. Pretty studious for an E3 about two months out of boot. He comes to Drill on Saturday (leaving for AT on Sunday) to have the rug pulled out from under him. I tried to reassure him that everything would be fine and he'd just do a paper travel claim once he got back, but it was not to be. Had to call his job and cancel his time off, everything. He's fairly pissed at the Navy now. I can't say I blame him much, either. The whole stick-in-rear end attitude about all of this and the complete unwillingness to perform the alternate procedure just because "it's more paperwork" really puts a bad taste in my mouth, and a bad shine on the Navy in the eyes of new sailors.

Where is the AT? I'm up in Port Orchard burning brush and drinking beers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

some kid with a Confederate flag up in his barracks room is watching Dragon Ball Z. ok dude.

Moments when hazing is appropriate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

No it's just the response Mil dudes give you when you call them out on that dumb flag

GOD JUST CAUSE THE KKK USED IT ONCE DOESNT MEAN ITS RACIST

I got a black seabee buddy who wears his buckle proudly.

The boy ain't right.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh boy I can't wait to go back to Hawaii next week for some more mahu.

The weather better be radically different that Washington right now because I could some sun.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

How much free time do you anticipate? Will you have a car?

They didnt give out cars this time because we are going as a unit so vans it is. My wife is flying in on next Thursday and staying until monday so I'll be uh.. busy on the weekend. I'll be staying at waikiki beach if you have time this Sunday, dont mind taking a taxi or bus. We dont officially report for duty until Monday morning. This is a new reserve unit to me so I have no idea how hard they are going to work us during the week. It's a watertight door, hatch and live preserver inspection unit so yeaaaaah.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

I'd take you up on it but I'm not out there anymore. Just trying to think of fun stuff you might be able to do on your off-time. Do you hike?

Oh I came out last year by myself and did the drive around the island, random beach butt-peaking and body surfing, Arizona, aquarium and side of the road food stands. This time looks like I'll be forced to do whatever dumb stuff the unit wants to do together after work (drinking) but at least they told us there is nothing planned from after Friday work to Monday so those of us bringing out our spouses can have good time. Doing the Polynesian Culture Center and chill beach time with her.

Word was our PT will be hikes after early work days but that's just what some random guy said happened last year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

Cool. For whatever reason, Manoa Falls trail just popped into my head, so I figured I'd mention it if you and the wife happen to be the hiking type. There's a trail up to the falls that's paved, very leisurely and easy (plus the forest and the falls are beautiful), maybe a half hour round trip. Then, once you get to the falls, turn left and you can take a trail that continues through bamboo thickets and up switchbacks until you end up on a peak and it's like you can see the whole drat island from there. Bring a Camelbak and a windbreaker if you take the hike beyond the falls. Google Manoa Falls trail for more info. It's not terribly far from Waikiki, but you'd probably have to take a cab; I don't think there's a bus that runs there. MWR might be able to wrangle you some transportation.

Got a car rental for the weekend. Gonna google it first so you arent sending me to a gay-hookup campsite but that sounds like a really nice thing to do with her on Sunday.

Wife likes the idea. It's a go for our Sunday together.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I went twice because of boredom. Two eastern religions I've never been to a service for. No worse than anything else during boot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Didn't go to services because that's not my get down. Maybe one day there will be equal...whatever, for atheists, but it's going to take those loud idiotic ones to make it happen. Whatever if praying to a God helps people sleep better at night after this poo poo, more power to them I guess.

The chanting was nice and I think i may of dozed out for most of it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Did this twice then just spent the rest of the Sundays in the shower

Our hot water heater was busted. Our div caught scabbies and it spread rapidly due to lack of hot water to clean clothes. Made shower times very short.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Lm loving ao what nasty gently caress brought scabies to boot camp

Have you looked at recruits lately? Seriously we had at least two guys who were 100% homeless and somehow defeated a drug test.

In happier news I finally got gained to NOSC Bremerton and assigned to a local unit so I dont have have to go to San Diego anymore to drill!

Wait... San Diego is kinda nice for a change of pace from Kitsap county... gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Went to San Diego this week for a conference. The "VIP Suite" at the Point Loma NGIS was $6 more than the regular rooms, and boasted a "beachfront view balcony".

I think I got my $6 worth.

Pretty dope. I think I may be able to beat that once I get to my hotel.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

If we stayed in the berthing on sundays we got holloywood showers and time to ourselves.

I don't give a poo poo what god/gods you pray to, but there have been too many suicides imo to keep having a chaplin do the role of a professional psychiatric counselor. We need to repalace the chaplin's duty with people who actually went to school for mental health.

Only had I heard of first hand during my time. Some kid in my building tried to hang himself with a shoe string in the laundry room and the night watch found him. They took him down and put him back in his bed. He tried again that night with the drawstring of his sweatshirt in the shower. That time the night watch finally told a petty officer and poo poo went nuts and woke us all up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

There was one in my division who tried it with his towel. Pretty half-assed attempt, but it got him out of the Navy, which I guess was his goal so good job I guess.

The ET2 quartermaster I spent a lifetime bullshitting with on fathometer watch did a much more thorough job with his M9 on belowdecks watch, RIP Johnny :(

gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hey hey everyone! Three months later and I just graduated OCS! Next stop Pensacola Florida for aviation training! I wanted to thank everyone here again for all the advice they gave me for making it through the program. My next goal is to be a competent JO who doesn't bumble through everything or screw things up badly for the people I might end up in charge of.

Try not to pick up a leather-skinned wife in Pensalcola.

Good luck!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Can't wait to start my AT on Monday!

Reserve life.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Downtown Waikiki is gayer than a bag of dicks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Your bad. I'm currenwnrtotiyn. At moooder mgyikldcuufyidsn either a a woworkkwrr. Having fun. Sshdhdb. Sftenntybdyjne etnenen.
I'll

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Quoting for evidence in case it's needed for the roofie prosecution.

I probably shouldn't try to post when drunk. Anyways my chief woke me up and we went on a short run and all is good now.

Weather: Not Washington, sun!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ooh I may finally get to go underway! The cruiser may take some of scrub reservists who've never been underway on a ride back to San Diego.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That's a good ride. You will get some fine nap time in there.

I loving love naps.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Some of reservists on AT getting a little nervous...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Hey dude you wanted to get mobed now is your chance.

It's funny because I got three job offers in the last 48 hours now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gray Matter posted:

This sounds like some magical alternate reality version of the military where I can just peace out when it starts suckin too hard :stare:

Guess I'll find out how it is tomorrow at drill weekend #1

Bring an extra battery for your phone.

Current status: On AT with my wife in Honolulu eating at the revolving restaurant. Back to work on Monday on some broke dick cruiser.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Depends on if you are ok with taping and touching fatties.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hogmartin posted:

LingcodKilla, are you and the wife still in Hawaii? Did you do the Manoa Falls trail? You're blueballin' me here, buddy, waiting for a trip report.

Sorry! We changed plans after walking all day on Saturday at the PCC. Ended up going on a snorkel cruise. We saw humpback, pilots, spinner dolphins and turtles.

Good times but now I'm back home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sarkazm posted:

What's up, Kitty?

Rick from FFSC? Or is he a VA guy? If he's FFSC I know him well. The guy we have here in SD (Carlton) is pretty legit. Knows his stuff and gives good presentation.

And don't sweat the beard. Get a 'hook over your ears' type. I receommend them to all my 'facial hair challenged' friends. Hell, at my retirement ceremony, everyone wore fake 'staches, including my kids, my gf, my mom, aunt and grandma.

Obligatory term lance beard reference here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Woo. Got a job working at Bangor as a dirty civilian computer janitor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

:hf: good job, now you get to do the same poo poo you do for the navy for 3x the pay.

But I dont get to wear a snazzy uniform while doing it!!!

Better dust off all my Hawaiin shirts. Havent had a job that didnt require a uniform uh.... ever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I like NOSC Kitsap.

Much much better than Alameda.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thronde posted:

Here in VA at Little Creek for the most of May for school. Anything I should definitely see or do for my first time in the VA?

Hella national parks to visit. loving tons of civil war and rev war battlefields in a 4 hour radius.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Huh. I figured VA beach was full of hipsters and poo poo.

Had a dude get snuffed a block down from my apartment at 4 am last week, which is weird as gently caress cause there hasn't been a murder in Fells Point in 2 years.

When I was in Dam Neck last year I had evening courses so I never went into town at night. Seemed pretty boring.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

I start my new job on my first day of separation leave. I will not miss anything.

I'm a week into my new job and they sent me home to watch training videos because the office chairs are uncomfortable and my home internet is probably better.

It was and it is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I didn't get a call back about working for HP on the NMCI contract but I did get picked up for a position at Bangor. The pay for bad IT is outrageous.

Thanks Navy!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Seqenenra posted:

I am in class with people that work for NMCI and this isn't surprising. I am surprised that our network works at all.

Did the rest of you Reservists get your drill pushed back? Apparently we ran out of funding.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gray Matter posted:

Pushed back 2 weeks. Speaking of discharges, would a hypothetical OTH discharge "override" the honorable discharge from AD on one's DD214 or how does that work? Reserves is still a complete mystery to me.

No idea. I'm fairly useless with admin stuff.

Found out my reschedule is not until September but there will be some ADT available if I dont mind going to Hawaii that will cover it.

Dont mind if I do... But of course show me the orders first.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vriess posted:

Wasn't losing the contract why that NMCI guy went ballistic in JBAB 4.5 years ago and took a gun to the place?

Guess he really didnt like interviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The reserves owes me about 15k right now. Goddamn auditing error from crossing over fiscal years with my c school.

Then I hosed up my AT paper work by uploading the wrong version of my goddamn itinerary (without the $ in one corner) so they have delayed my $ by two weeks + whenever they pick it up again. $5k

So yeah I'm waiting on 20k or so.