Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Nope. Not their job so they definitely won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

How flexible are the reserves when it comes to working around class schedules? I'm separating from AD and joining the reserves very soon, and after applying to start school in summer semester I realized that the annual 2-week drill may interfere with that. I'm under the impression that it usually happens during the summer - is that so?

It completely, completely depends on your unit. Mine was willing to work with me a bit for the first two years. Towards the end when I needed to work internships in the summer and school in the fall/spring, I ended up having to drop my IRR chit because life just got too hectic to go play Navy for 2 or 3 weeks. My CoC was actually really understanding when I said I needed to drop to IRR. I got a nice letter from them and I still get occasional invites to go to unit BBQs or lunches.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

Tell me more about this IRR chit. Just transfered from AD to selres to finish the last 3 of my 8 years. Basically only reason I'm drilling is to keep Tricare until finding a cool & good employer health plan, at which point I'd love to drop the Navy like a hot turd make my graceful exit.

[Special Request Chit]
"Respectfully request to transfer to IRR status"

Approved [X] [Signed] [Chief]
Approved [X] [Signed] [DivO]
Approved [X] [Signed] [CO]

hope this helps.

It was less trouble than asking for a day off on the ship.

I think I had to sign a paper from my NOSC that said I understood I was giving up TRICARE because they had a history of people not understanding that.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

And this can be done at any time during my selres obligation?

I think you're good as long as you didn't take a bonus.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I gave it to my chief and said "OK bye"

A year later I got a letter congratulating me on completing my time in the reserves.

You can do 6 months without drilling with no repercussions. It doesn't take 6 months to route a chit if you already have talked to your CO to make sure it's cool.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

As a nuke you can always quit, though it would supposedly jeopardize your opportunities to go balls deep into the thriving industry that is civilian nuclear energy. They're building a new one in Georgia!!!

It's going to be finished any decade now!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Blood for the blood god

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If you guys talk this guy out of accelerating his life in the nuclear field, I will never forgive you.

Future shipmate, this is your chance to work with state of the art technology on exciting weapons platforms. You can expect a low-stress lifestyle that primarily involves watching your advanced systems maintain themselves. You can definitely expect a six figure income once you decide to leave the service, if you ever do. The nuclear field is always looking for new teammates as we see unprecedented levels of growth.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I don't understand how you could type this without stroking out.

You'd be amazed what time, distance, and a totally different career can do for your mental health.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

This part actually isn't wholly a lie. I constantly have to turn down a real job to stay a student, and have really nice prospects when I graduate, and while everything I was offered out of the navy was mid to high five figures with about 5 or 6 years of seniority you start reaching 110k to 140k range.

I mean, yeah... you -can- get a high salary job... but it's in a dying industry plagued with layoffs and cancelled new construction projects. Almost everyone I know that works in nuclear has been laid off at least once because so many plants have shut down.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

These forums haven't seen me talk about how awesome being a nuke is in a while.

I had been awake for 30 hours and fell down a ladder on roving watch. I stood the rest of my watch then went to medical. Once I finally got to the doc, they asked if I was a nuke. Yep. He then accused me of hurting myself to get off watch and sent me away. Later that week I went for a second opinion and found out I had broken my toe.

I have stood watch with my arm in a sling and orders to call for a nub if I needed a second hand to operate a valve. Since I was a nuke, I wasn't prescribed narcotics. Since we had to man a watchboll, there I was.

One of the last things I said to a good friend was "hey man, chief says I have to out you on 16 hour days for being dinq" while we were on 3 section duty working 12 hour days with a 24 hour shift every 3rd day. He went home and shot himself. He left behind a wife and a kid.

I developed shiftwork sleep disorder after 5 years on rotating shiftwork where every 7 days we changed shifts. I eventually was unable to sleep more than 2 or 3 hours at a time, would wake up starving in the middle of the night, couldn't escape a constant mental fog, and still was operating a shutdown nuclear reactor often by myself for 6 hours at a time. I also was regularly spending 4 to 8 hours a day writing electrical power isolation tags that would expose myself and others to deadly voltage if I messed up.

One time I did 16 hour days for 35 days straight with no days off. We were doing an extremely high stress procedure (ion exchanger changeout that got very complicated) and I had two auditors watching me at all times waiting for a mistake to report to an admiral. This was during my shore duty which is supposed to be your downtime period. After shift was over, we had to walk a mile back to our barracks only to walk back the next day. We had a van that operated sometimes. We usually just slept on the troop ship tied up next to us instead of bothering to go back.

I have personally sent two friends to the ER after an electrical explosion mainly due to poor communication following months of 12 hour days. I have had a trainee maimed for life because of his supervisor being pressured to get a procedure done quickly. I had a friend nearly killed and another sent to the hospital due to a shipyard worker misreading a blueprint. Similarly, a subordinate got blown up for the same reason (although survived with no major injuries due to PPE). I could probably keep going but you get the idea that this poo poo is dangerous when you're exhausted from an operational tempo that keeps you awake for days on end.

Be a nuke.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

LogicalFallacy posted:

Well, I did not expect quite as much of an... exuberant response. Fwiw I am 26 and me going nuke is highly dependent on my age waiver going through. Either way I plan on doing ET, so I do figure on having transferable skills once I get out, assuming I don't re-enlist.

Here's an example of your recruiter lying to you.

You absolutely do not get to pick if you want to be an ET, EM, or MM as a nuke. Similarly, you do not get to be on a submarine just because you want to.

You can join with your recruiter promising you will be an ET. That choice is not yours to make. It is based entirely on school slot availability at the time of your boot camp graduation. The type of ship you go to is based on what the Navy needs. Just because your recruiter sold you on Hunt for Red October doesn't mean you get to be Sean Connery.

Watch the scene in Full Metal Jacket where everyone is getting told what they're going to do after they graduate. That's the amount of choice you get in the nuclear field.

Even as an E6, I didn't get to choose where I went for shore duty because we were so critically undermanned.

Here's another KetTarma story. Being a prototype instructor is awful. Everyone wants to avoid it. I was told by my detailer that I needed to volunteer for prototype instructor duty so he could write me orders. I said hell no. He said if I didn't volunteer by x date, he was cutting me unaccompanied orders for a billet in Diego Garcia. If you Google where that is, it's a small island in the middle of nowhere. Not the ideal place to go. I tried to hold out. I talked to my leadership. I ended up as an instructor. It was worse than I ever thought it could have been. People in that situation are who are training the next generation of nukes. Just remember that misery loves company.

I will add that I have been on these forums trying to talk people out of being a nuke since my reg date in 2003. 100% of people that did it anyway have all PMed me or posted expressing how right I was. Everyone I have talked out of it that didn't do it has agreed after the fact that it was the right decision.

Its your choice which statistic group you want to be part of. Just know that if you do it, every time you contemplate how miserable your life is was the direct result of you not listening now.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 5, 2017

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3283345

Here's the archived Navy nuke thread. You should probably read all 40 pages before signing paperwork.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

They’re in four section duty.

That is better than I saw for almost all of my time in. We were 3 section pretty much everywhere.

For the aspiring sailor, "duty" for a nuke means a 24 hour long workday where you often will not sleep.

"Back half 6-6"-style duty day on 3 section duty:

Day 1 / 0700: Show up to work, tour the plant (usually a warm 100F+)
Day 1 / 0730: Duty section briefing, go to work
Day 1 / 11:30: Relieve your watch partner to eat
Day 1 / 12:00: Get relieved by partner and go back to work
Day 1 / 1330: Relieve the watch. Watch partner goes to work.
Day 1 / 1930: Relieved off of watch by partner. Go eat
Day 1 / 2000: Finish up any work, work on quals
Day 1 / 2200: Go to sleep
Day 2 / 0100: Wake up, prepare for watch
Day 2 / 0130: Relieve the watch, your partner can now go to sleep
Day 2 / 0730: Get relieved off of watch, go to work
Day 2 / 1600: Go home

Day 4: Go to the top and repeat except now you are the partner ("Front half 6-6") and relieve at 0730.

Repeat this for however many years. You might notice that there is only 3 hours of sleep during day 1. After a few years of not really sleeping every 3rd day, you start to get ... tired.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Well, we tried.

My only consolation is that I will probably see you wandering around the mall in your dress uniform wearing a backpack for some reason.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

LogicalFallacy posted:

I am leaning more and more towards remaining AECF, or possibly trying to get SECF on account of already having signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form. (Notably, the fact that this form had been presented to me to sign, even though I am currently signed as AECF, confused the hell out of my recruiter.)

Fyi that automatically makes you eligible to be a nuke submariner which is the worst type of nuke to be.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

LogicalFallacy posted:

Not necessarily, I'd think? I mean, my current contract is aecf, so I figure I would actually have to sign for nuke or secf for that form to become relevant?

You signed a piece of paper saying that you forever and irrevocably agree to serve on submarines at the needs of the Navy for whatever reason they present you.

If you are, for any reason, unable to complete your contract (including the Navy saying there are too many of you) you can be easily cross-rated into whatever the Navy wants which now includes submarines.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My worst day in engineering is still better than my best day in the Navy.

I ran into a Navy friend at a bar recently. He said I acted like a totally different person than when I was in... And not in the bad way.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Brings back memories from AECF tech core back in 2003. We had a guy who was really into furry fandom, got caught wearing a tail under his utilities, etc.

If it's not a diaper-wearing, elvish speaking furry at a minimum then it doesn't even make my weird-meter twitch.

I've seen things.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, clarify something for an ignorant aviator: on a five-and-dime watch rotation, does that mean that each individual person is standing watch every 5 hours in 15

It's better than 6 and 6s.

That's where you do 6 hours on, 6 hours off. If it's working hours, you're working when you're off watch.

I have gone days without sleep and didn't think that much of it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

I can only speak to an IRR chit getting straight denied and told get hosed you're here for the contract. Do Officers leave the same way as enlisted via IRR chit?

I'm not sure if mine was denied due to the Navy in general's new manning instructions or if they really think FCs in the reserves are a good idea.

I know Ket went active->reserve->out but I think that's because his contract was up.

I dropped an IRR chit for my last year. It was approved no problem. I have very little to say about it because it was a 60 second long special request, 5 minute talk with my chief, then I just never showed up again.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am no sailor but wouldn't it make more sense to use the reservists in their rates in order to free up others to do lovely things like be mess cranks or whatever ? That way you cover down on what needs to be done and don't piss off the guys loaning you free labor?

Most reservists I met had little knowledge of their own rate.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

THE COMMAND

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Geizkragen posted:

In case anyone wants a reminder of why you never go full nuke. Bolded the lesson.

https://www.reddit.com/r/navy/comments/8qdc4k/dont_want_to_be_nuke

He absolutely enjoyed checking badges?

I love the people in the thread saying to talk to your chain of command.

I'm imagining the training jacket entry..
"Discussed weekly concerns with MM3. MM3 stated wanted to quit. Told MM3 to continue studying. No problems noted"

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Fangthane posted:

Thanks for the responses. I've cooled off a bit since that rant but I'm still upset about the whole thing. I feel like the proper disclaimer is "I'm not clean in all this. I could have done a few things better/more efficiently/advised the CoC earlier." End of the day, the right course is just doing what I can and documenting everything which is Navy 101. It baffles me that an organization that is theoretically responsible for 1/3 the bullshit is somehow more messed up.

Ket's Guide to Why the Reserves Are Silly and You Should Not Care
Whenever I joined the Reserves, I had the assumption I would be doing something related to anything in my field. Instead, I was an EMN1 assigned to a cargo handling battalion. For the first 6 months, no one was really sure what to do with me and I mainly just hung around playing on my phone. Eventually, someone figured out I was really good at PowerPoint so I made briefings for the CO. Because of that, I gradually migrated into an admin role. Once I had that figured out, I knocked everything out in the first hour or so of drill day and literally spent the entire remainder of the weekend doing homework for college. No one cared because our metrics were good once I figured out how to get everything looking pristine in each database. By the second year, I was consider indispensable because I did a solid hour of work a month in Excel using formulas, conditional formatting, etc.

My first AT was going to a random school where they taught me how to load munitions onto cargo slings. I guess it was ok?

My 2nd 2 week AT was spent standing exactly 2 firewatches for a total of about 8 hours. I got some nice letter for it from some chief in the shipyard. The Reserves spent thousands of dollars sending me across the country to sit on a ship for 8 hours as an E-6 and watch a wall. I mainly hung around downtown Norfolk and visited people. I ended up meeting grover during this adventure and got to go inside Groverhaus. It didn't collapse on me so that's a win.

Eventually, I got a job that required me to frequently work weekends. I stressed out over this and eventually approached my LCPO about going IRR. He didn't care and immediately approved a special request chit for it. He forgot to route it for 6 months and someone found it in a desk when they were looking for something else. I got a funny phonecall about it a few months before my contract was up anyway.

And thus ended my Navy career.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So my sister is apparently considering joining the Navy as a nuclear engineer, does anyone have a link to the thread where it's clearly explained why this is the worst idea imaginable?

It's me. The OP of that thread.

It's still a bad idea. Also the Navy doesn't have nuclear engineers. The Navy has nuclear techs that get told 18 months of algebra-based A-school/C-school is the same as 4 years at MIT with the ego to go with it.

Note: You dont have to have a STEM degree to be a nuke officer.

If she ends up doing it, let us know how it goes.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Viva Miriya posted:

I've never been remotely near Groton or wherever the gently caress they teach the nukes but even I've heard of the Skipjack dive team.

Groton is where the unlucky nukes go.

Nuke school is in Charleston, South Carolina which is a pretty great place to live. We have a C-school in Saratoga Springs, NY. It's cold there and everything is old. Would not recommend.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Whenever someone asks me about being a nuke to eventually become an engineer, I tell them to do any office-based 4 year enlistment. The easier the better. I tell them to knock out as many general ed requirements at a legit college using TA as they can then use the GI bill to be a traditional college student that's just slightly older.

Doing 6, 8, or 9 years as a nuke where you come out worn down to try to immediately grind through 4 years of engineering school because nothing from the Navy-promoted diploma mills transferred is not worth it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Its my understanding that NR positions are exraordinarily competitive and at one point had a hard cutoff of 3.8 gpa to apply.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Why are my stories the ones you picked :(

Am I broken

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My hearing is kind of bad and I tore everything in my ankle during PT. I had anger issues for a while after separating but I think Im ok.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Wait, AFFF is bad for you?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

joat mon posted:

Diesel-electric, 2-3 days
AIP, 2-3 weeks
Nuke, 2-3 decades (Donner Class)

I was so confused by this for about 10 seconds. Bravo.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

I feel like I can't let you fuckers forget that this was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsWscbJKwhw

My only claim to fame in this life is that the guy doing the head bob to Picard was my staff advisor when I was a nuke school student.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I need to ruin everything:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/02/03/sailor-who-made-controversial-video-dancing-shipmates-slain-in-murder-suicide.html

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

CountFosco posted:

Realistically, how old is to old to join the navy?

You can always get an age waiver if you want to impress the ladies as a nuclear specialist. Do it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

There’s no age waivers for nukes.

There's a waiver for anything if they need it badly enough.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Oh I'm entirely aware of, and agree with the logic. I'm just voicing my frustration at having to tell my wife, "Sorry, another two months until we can (maybe but probably not) start planning ahead for a big move. The lack of available billets has nothing to do with my professional history, it would be just as frustrating if I were eligible to go overseas, because there's only the one option, up from zero.

Pssst. This is a sign you should crossrate or gtfo.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

What would you do if you ever had to actually go out on a ship?

I'm still trying to figure out the actual problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Navy Nuke Thread: gently caress that's depressing as hell