Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

We can offer kava

Still better than nuke

I want this. Give this to me. Are you in the South Pacific at the moment? My buddy got out of the USMC and is running a tug and barge company around Vanuatu. Slave wages but minimal responsibility/work. Where is the crime yacht on the work/responsibility scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My engineering sense is telling me you need an engineer for the month of December, fly me out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It's winter in the northern hemisphere, everyone is heading to the south Pacific now. Med is lovely, Africa requires armed guards, could go to South America I guess?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I thought you were supposed to start skimming from whatever op you're on and kill anyone that finds out?

Or just go O like a smart person and sell out the seamen in your command for cigars, booze and pussy?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

My unit got us the Marriott on Waikiki again this year for our AT.

We only get one drink voucher per day though. That's some bullshit.

Gross. Just ew. I make sure I stay in the downtown area and away from Waikiki. The restaurants and bars are better. Start at the Pig and the Lady. Bonus, there won't be many navy there, most likely just some merchant seamen if any ships are in.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

I'm in Timor living in a conex box. Turbo gently caress you and double turbo gently caress someone saying gross to abMarriott in Wakiki. So they don't have rough trade mahus for you in the tourist part, big deal

Oh man this is quite unfortunate!

The really unfortunate part about Honolulu is that I usually don't bother getting off the ship as the fridge in my stateroom is filled with beer and liquor by the cadet and I don't really feel like wasting time trying to find a ride downtown from the longshore.

Edit: There's an ok break off Sand Island I can walk to if I skate out of work early and bring my board with me as well.

The only purpose of Waikiki is tourist pussy but I can get laid anytime we hit Oakland or Seattle and they let us bring significant others on for a trip or two if we want. I'm not sure why anyone would want that.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 6, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Wonder Free posted:

I am. I transferred from the navy last year to fly their hurricane hunter P-3s. I don't know much about the boat side of the corps since I went straight into aviation. The guys that did that seems to have mixed experiences based on homeport and age of ship. Regardless they transferred over to aviation from there so t probably wasn't that great.

The bulk of our aviation work is light aircraft looking at whales and flying scientists around for various experiments, etc. The P-3 and the G-IV mostly do weather stuff when not tasked with hurricanes (I was on for a tornado project and another one studying winter storms in the North Atlantic last spring).

NOAA Corps is a weird asterisk of a service. Coming from the Navy it's a weird change since there's no enlisted. We have a bunch of GS employees that run the backend stuff and maintenance, and the meteorologists are all Feds too. The boat side has wage mariners which I guess is similar. They all have a collective bargaining agreement, which is probably frustrating for a lot, but it seems to make my quality of life better since management can't gently caress us all over like the navy could. Still weird. Can a noble without any teds to boss around really be called a noble?

I know my union has some NOAA contracts or the NOAA outsources to us for bodies when they can't find anyone for the ship engineering officer side. I don't think their pay is that great, maybe 10-15k/month, but the job is pretty tit, partying with the scientists and getting to some pretty cool ports.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
We don't have a uniform, just a US Coast Guard license. Your navy time should qualify you guys for it depending on your MOS but you need to document and get signatures while you're still in.

I've never worked on an NOAA vessel although there was a job on the board this spring for one. I think the T-AGOS, the Worthy and the other one come in pretty often as well. There are also research vessels, school ships like Columbia's out of Woods Hole I think. I sailed with Scripps Institute of Oceanography when I was a cadet. If you want to get into it there's plenty of jobs, the money is only OK but it's not a terrible job. You can look up the individual ships or programs to see what they are doing online and see where they are going.

Otherwise, the US has one cruise ship in Hawaii you can party on. Might be a little tricky to get on but it's also a fun possibility.

Military Sealift Command also has a bunch of grey hulls running around the world doing random poo poo, some good, some not. The good stuff gets more and better port time than the commercial flag fleet. The bad stuff gets less.

Dunno if that helps. I've never heard of anyone having a bad time and it's supposed to be pretty chill.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 9, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Anchor you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pRfix_sNg&t=120s

feel free to jump to the third minute for action

I'm always amused by these. It's great when our engine rooms have cctv and I can watch the bow drop anchor from the control console.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that's basically how the USCG regs have it.

There's quite a few videos of merchant ships doing this if you want more. Watching the brake light up is usually the best part. Even when everything is going great there's always a huge rust cloud hanging around and I'm glad I don't have to be anywhere near anchors or lines.

It's really only a bad day when you lose the second anchor though.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

joat mon posted:

And apparently chain lockers can generate so much rust that they pull enough oxygen out of the air to suffocate you if you go into a closed chain locker.
http://maritimeaccident.org/library2/the-case-of-the-rusty-assassin/

This is any confined space and why you ventilate and test atmosphere when entering. Be especially careful if the space is negatively pressurized when you open it. People die all the time to that poo poo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
You guys don't inspect engine void spaces? The deck department usually just calls an engineer to do everything anyways.

Spent our port stay in Cape Town on the bow drying out the windlass and winch controls and tracing wiring after they left the covers off and dryers off in heavy seas getting there. Still bitter.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Asian whores in Asia if you are a nerd asking where to get laid at on the internet.

I agree though, it's gonna take you a long time to get to Austria on a ship for pussy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Karachi is nice this time of year and they love Americans there.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

RUSSIAN SPOTTED

Also make sure you do so in hurricane season

The best place for a ship in a storm is at a pier. With me ashore.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
There's always the Bridgeton if you want to use a 400k+ dwt tanker as a minesweeper.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeton_incident

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

They’re also compartmentalized five way to Sunday, have longitudinal strengthening, and are essentially gas-tight. It’s really hard to sink a tanker, compared to say, a bulk carrier.

Keep everyone working for 15 hours a day, 7 days straight.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The navy doesn't throw more bodies at the problem. A big part of the problem is they're still reeling from trying to reduce the number of needed bodies from the early 00s. Optimal manning did decades of damage to the fleet.

It's hard to compare to a merchant ship due to the warfighting need but there are only about 20 people on one. The merchant marine also has manning issues but it's one of the most hazardous jobs in the world with one of the highest suicide rates. Still, a just graduated 3rd engineer can be making 90k+ in 6 months fresh out of school so pay is above the national average at least.

As the complexity increases, the need for training and experience does as well. There's no real easy fix outside of a complete rework. To attract people the incentives would have to be better and I'm not sure how possible that is.

They don't do that bullshit because they have to pay us more if they do and international regs say we need at least 6 hours off uninterrupted and 10 off in a 24 hour period. This leads to a degree of cleanliness that the navy wouldn't be happy with because people are lazy and don't care if they track oil everywhere.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 20, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Holy poo poo as a civilian this makes my blood boil, you can just be a shitbag and coast in the military if you have no respect or dignity right, I should've done that.

You get your own stateroom, shower and shitter and someone to clean it and change your sheets right now. I think they still have to be responsible over there for awhile until you get high enough to where you can sell out to foreign contractors for cigars, whiskey and paid pussy.

The current SWO path is hosed for women since if they want to have a baby and they don't get it timed just right they will gently caress up their promotion track.

They also can't specialize or stay in a watch officer position for an extended period while we can spend our career sailing 3rd if we want.

That's all in addition to similar problems as the merchant marine, extended time away from home, family etc.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

So if 75 ships get added to the fleet, are they gonna just go dime and five?

Seriously though we don't have the capacity or money to build much more than like 2 a year. Even with the money the capacity isn't there, the experienced labor takes years to train up. One of the reasons the Jones Act is such a big deal.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Cerekk posted:

We just need to build a bunch of small cheap ships really fast. They can be low quality since they'll be cheap and expendable and easily replaceable. Maybe they can specialize in littoral combat since that's a weakness of our blue navy fleet. As long as the procurement process works the way it's supposed to and people don't start tacking on tons of expensive features it should work great.

Hah! One of my classmates is a port engineer for these in SD. After one bitch session I decided I wanted to remain ignorant. I didn't realize that they put civmars on them to bring them out of the yard over to the West Coast for their shakedown cruise.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

The design that allows this to happen is completely hosed from every direction and makes me angry. That's just stupid. Only an absolute rear end in a top hat would decide this design was a great idea, that should be impossible unless there was an extreme error chain and breakdown in maintenance.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 26, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Rejected that as too implausible in favor of the theory that they were just filling the sump with pails of salt water when the level dropped.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Why in the name of gently caress is a seawater feed pump using the same oil supply as the main engines?

How in the name of gently caress does seawater leak in that direction? LO press should be higher. Seals are designed with that type of failure in mind. So many questions. .

I could only assume it was the engine driven CW pump that was SW cooled for some reason. Unless you are using a turbine driven CW pump which would be insane?

Edit: sticking with pails of SW dumped in sump theory

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 26, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Engine off for an extended period, seal far below the waterline?

Improperly installed seal?

2nd one I'm thinking, if it was engine driven it could migrate through the seal to the crankcase along that shaft of the drive gear right? Those are just spray lubricated without pressure? I would need to look at a drawing to actually use correct terminology etc. I'm not sure I've ever hosed with that seal.

Also, if it was SW cooled there wouldn't be an indication like CW HT level drop, only sump level and LO testing.

Edit: No those are pressurized, your theory is the only one that makes sense.

Now I remember, the C9s have GE gen sets that were spray lubed and would run into such a problem. The 3rd kept a close eye on the LO testing. Those were built in the early 80s though and have a bunch of dead end tech.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 26, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Even then wouldn't you generally have it set up with telltales and lil lip seals or something that would make any misplaced oil or water obvious?

Edit yeah man the c9s have mad obsolete technology they must've been real show ponies in their day

Trying to remember but thought on the engine driven it goes water side then LO side in crankcase/gearbox? Not really easy to have an indicator on that side right? That's why you almost rely on the higher LO press? You have worked more recently than me look at a manual next time.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Forgot about the cavity. GEs didn't have that. If they stuck with a US supplier they might not have such advanced tech?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

Excuse me but then when things break horrifically (on every hull) they wouldn't be able to spend poo poo tons of money overnighting dudes from Germany.

The engineering plant on both variants is an absolute mess, Freedom moreso than Indy.

Himsen is MAN tech licensed to Korea I think.

Those are pretty easy to maintain, why would you need techs all the time?

Our supposition is correct shovelbum, seal failed, no cavity, SW cooled engine driven etc

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 26, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
American made, I didn't ask.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Dingleberry posted:

Maybe they should bring CivMars on to drive from point A-B, with the mil folks for redundancy and training or whatever.

We already have this, it's called Military Sealift Command.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Found some info

http://www.cpf.navy.mil/foia/reading-room/2017/11/freedom-mpde.pdf

The seal completely blew, compartment started flooding via the telltale, which they then plugged because they thought it was a blown out casing plug and anyway the normal SW valves didn't stop it. It looks like they failed to isolate a fire main crossover and water kept flooding in, but from the report it doesn't sound like that valve held entirely properly either. Doesn't look like it was an optimal response but if the valves don't hold then lol hosed.

Edit: still no excuse for using your main engine sump and prelube system as the world's most expensive King's Point gasket

Haha that's amazing! I can forgive the confusion with plugging the telltale but the amount of water pouring out combined with the filling of the sump, somebody should have put 2 and 2 together. The complete failure to think through the contamination of the engine with a running prelube and then work to flush it is amazing. Those water in oil tests only take 2 minutes of shaking or whatever so I'm amazed they didn't even do one.

The Colt Pielsticks explain everything though. That crew was probably miserable just keeping poo poo running.

My buddy deals with the Indy though so at least he didn't gently caress that one up.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The engine driven pump is backed up by the emergency fire pumps so uh yes, you are correct I think. The fire pumps assisted with filling that void space at which point the plug enabled it to pressurize and then enter the crankcase which is at negative press due to being a crankcase is how it went? They could have closed one more valve to further slow the ingress but it literally was a horrendous error/failure chain compounded every way imaginable.

I'm still unsure of the full factors due to system complexity. I would really need a drawing and a walk through of the lineup. Trying to think this through from so far away after a quarter of school is hard so I've hosed up my imagining it several times already.

Edit: Those Himsens are awesome I don't know what you mean by dull. I'll take idiot proof with easy to work on any day cause then I can't gently caress it up.

I'm not sure about the initial blowout. I'm too far removed but if every other valve manages to fail I'm not a believer in outliers.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 27, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

As a deck officer, I...

Nope can’t finish that. Someone actually bought Pielsticks on a new build in this day and age? loving lol.

Pielstick: we sell the engine cheap and make it up on spare parts! Everybody... wins?

US Navy would require US manufactured engines. Cats would obviously be.my preference.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The thing that always made me laugh is requests that literally start with the phrase "Respectfully request to..."
Somewhere, it's written that requests should be respectful in tone, i.e., not something like "I want to take some goddamn leave, you fuckers better approve this!", but instead "I would like to take time off from 9AM on July 3rd to 4PM on July 6th."

You always start off politely. You can tell someone to go gently caress themselves at any point, it's just hard to elevate afterwards. It's also harder to say no to a reasonable and polite request even if there is no desire to do so.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Sure, but the point is, a respectful request is interpreted as "Start the request with the words 'Respectfully request to...'"

I would probably choose a less rigid version of that over "may/will xxxx please..." as that sounds like a little kid asking for permission or begging someone to do something.

Bunch of 18 year old kids with no imagination use it to avoid stepping on toes and then never break the habit.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 1, 2018

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, we have SWOs, pilots, nukes, deck types, ITs, intel, terps, seabee, ETs, and STGs off the top of my head. I think we might struggle to staff an engine room, but i'm pretty sure the rest is pretty well represented.

TF and I can 2 man the engine room np.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I'd retort something about changing the load plan on the fly so you have to line up to pump in, then pump back out then back again but:

a) You're too young to understand why that could possibly be a bad thing for you and;
b) I have "Never go back to sea" tatooed on my dick in very large letters.

I just said we could do it np, not that we would. My certs are gonna expire, I don't want to renew but I might have to.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Confucius say,
"Engineer can pump nothing when there is no power"

Just gonna put some soap or maybe some oil in this here shower head and some ball bearings in the overhead.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
TF and I require our own staterooms with head and shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Uh I'm sorry this contract was written in 1954

You realize there are costs to that don't you!?

Good news about a contract written in 1954 though, gonna get 30 days 2nds pay along with 6 hours OT/day due to my average for severance after spending 17 days working.