Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The problem with climate survey comments is that the ones at good commands tend to have very little written that is useful or actionable, and the ones at bad commands aren't useful because although they tell truth to the CO, bad commands are bad because of COs who either won't listen or are incapable of effecting change in the first place.

Basically there's a very narrow window where survey comments might be useful, and it's right after a poor CO and/or CMC has been replaced by a good one.

Highlights of climate survey comments I've seen include:

"Women don't belong on submarines" (btw things like this are why comments don't go out for general release)

"WHY THE gently caress DIDN'T WE BRING ENOUGH MOUNTAIN DEW TO LAST THE WHOLE PATROL??"

"Let's go Brandon!"

"I don't see what's the big deal about the N word"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That seems like it would be interesting, hopefully they would have entry level stuff for on the job training and whatnot.

They do, but they're desperate for people because the starting pay is $22.67/hr, no shift guarantees, on call 24/7, nights and weekends required. Compare to McDonald's which starts at $19.50/hr and doesn't drug test.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1699115969480724967?t=H_RaT9hmJDSH8nXk0P9-lw&s=19

Lol dude got a FLOC for saving a dozen of his shipmates, the Navy always remains the same

I got a FLOC as an IS2 for helping the embarked one-stars flag writer master chief

Tbf nobody got awards back then. Look at photos of Nimitz and he has like 4 ribbons

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
On one of my Ohio-class tours we thought we might have to resort to hotracking but we ended up just leaving people ashore so that all ~220 people onboard had their own rack.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Gene Hackman did nothing wrong. The President should have never ordered a nuclear strike if there was a possibility he'd change his mind 10 minutes later.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrMojok posted:

Didn’t mean to disparage the name.

I was hoping they were going back exclusively to fish names, after they announced Barb.

The SECNAV has more or less free reign to name ships whatever he wants, so it's a) somewhat impressive we manage to ever maintain a theme across multiple SECNAVs, and b) rarely get ship names that are egregiously political.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Bring back giant fuckoff battleships so we can name one after Alfred Thayer Mahan.

Also isn't the reason they stopped naming submarines after states because they ran out of states? They even reused Arizona.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 5, 2023

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

The Valley Stared posted:

USS ROOSEVELT the destroyer is only named after Elenore and FDR, not any of the other Roosevelts.

However, trying to explain to people that the Theodore Roosevelt and the Roosevelt are complete different ships, and that no, the TR's shorthand is NOT Roosevelt, it's Teddy Roosevelt or TR is a nightmare.

Right now the trend for destroyers is to use the person's full name, though almost all of the FLT 1s through FLT 2s were just last name. Roosevelt again, being an exception, but it is named after two people.

USS Henry M Jackson has @jackson.navy.mil, which I'm sure never causes any issues onboard USS Jackson

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The original plan was to name SSBN-826 USS Columbia, except that was contingent on the current USS Columbia SSN-771 being decommissioned by then, which is no longer the plan. Hence, USS District of Columbia.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Hale Koa has the best tasting mai tai on Oahu regardless of the price of its constituent ingredients, but if you wanna pay 3x the price for a worse mai tai at Duke's then go right ahead.

(p.s. if there's no orgeat syrup in it it's just sparkling tropical cocktail)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Somebody didn't listen to the safety brief about hydroplaning

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
It's called a "cpo shirt". eBay is your best bet for genuine military issue, otherwise tons of retailers make similarly styled ones as either a wool shirt or shirt-jac. I have one from Schott that has held up well.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Crab Dad posted:

Is that a Johnny Cash or from earlier?

The Johnny cash was a thin poly/wool blend, 1970s-2010; CPO shirts are thick 100% wool, 1930s-1970s.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
don't forget to fill out your DEOCS survey

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

There is no way in hell that is accurate for the ships in Rota.

Shore duty

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

That makes more sense, but I still doubt it anyone other than the junior enlisted are telling the truth.

I dunno, the boat versions of these always showed terrible morale across all 3 categories, so it's not like officers and senior enlisted won't say their morale is bad.

I think shore duty is just literally that much better than the boat.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I usually wear a cover when I'm on a submarine bridge, but it's a North Face beanie.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Grip it and rip it posted:

I'll take an exploding SERPOS 100% of the time. SSMGs are robust but dealing with their maintenance on top of all the other electrical maintenance on the boat was bullshit. I never got to watch a movie underway and I have 4 sea service ribbons.

If NE01 and WM01 actually did the maintenance on the machines that are in their workcenter it would be better, but every boat split MIPs them to EE01 because they can't trust anyone else to do the work competently.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
In 10 years of sea time I have 7 days in a foreign port, of which 4 were spent on duty

See the world!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If someone is shouting at you two inches from your head it's still loud even though the sound is passing through the air

Now imagine they're shouting at you from 10 miles + 2 inches away except for the first 10 miles the sound loses basically zero energy

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The Royal Navy pays like poo poo and their submariners are on sea duty for loving ever. And their SSBNs are averaging over 160 day patrols thanks to HMS Vanguard's ERP turning into a 7 year unplanned refueling. So yeah no surprise they can't retain Trident officers.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I only know Vanguard officers but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if there's a big divide in job satisfaction between RN SSN and SSBN officers (there certainly is in the USN). Throw in that Helensburgh/Glasgow where they're all stationed are hostile to both the armed forces and to English people. These are dudes that are pumped about their working port visit in fuckin' Kings Bay Georgia.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Normally the reason for a firing is not cleared for public release and anybody that does have information should keep it to themselves.

In unrelated news, public records show that someone named Geoffry Wayne Patterson was arrested by the Camden County sheriff a little after midnight on January 9 and charged with a DUI.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Arguing in support of random attacks on civilian shipping while simultaneously calling everyone else an edgelord is certainly something.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
P.s., you can disapprove of the policies of the government of Israel and still disapprove of indiscriminate violence towards random civilians, in the same way you can disapprove of the policies of the government of the United States and still disapprove of the Oklahoma City bombing.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Really, please, I’m asking you to take what I’m saying seriously and in good faith. I know my first response was a bit harsh and I apologize, but I’m asking you to engage with what I’m actually saying.

You started by "actually saying"

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Frankly this is a bunch of racist Islamophobic bullshit, and you should be embarrassed.

in response to:

orange juche posted:

"God is the Greatest
Death to America
Death to Israel
A Curse Upon the Jews
Victory to Islam"

Thats their platform.

and exhorted us to:

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

loving skim a Wikipedia article

So I skimmed this one and I think I will continue to disregard your ranting.

If you want to go participate in an echo chamber where people will nod their heads and agree that Violence Against Civilians is Justified, Actually, please go back to x dot com or wherever. This thread is populated by people likely to be on the receiving end of said violence.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 18, 2024

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Navy thread: The percentage of homosexuals will certainly be increased

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Oh good I was worried we had moved past the off topic concern trolling

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The NM has to be approved by the first 3-star in the chain of command; the CO of a shipyard boat (who is getting relieved in a couple weeks) is not going to expend all his political capital trying to push an award up 5 levels of the chain of command on the word of a reservist E-6

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah the FD report and the local news channel 8 will do more than any CO would.

https://www.kitsapsun.com/pages/interactives/submit-newstip/

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

tacopie posted:

No one is going to do the legwork for it, regardless of how deserving we think it is.

Take the time to fill out the paperwork, including a thorough summary of action with as much supporting documentation as you can find. Chances are, you might need to practice writing awards, being the future MCPON and all, and if all of the wickets are there, routing is much simpler.

While you're correct about this, it's not just that it's "too much work". The other part is the political side where O-6 squadron commodores regularly get annoyed at O-5 COs for submitting too many COMs. So even if someone else does all the work to put together an immaculate award package, it may still not be submitted based on how recently that commodore has gotten annoyed at that particular CO.

But, if you want to try anyway, pages 2-68 through 2-71 and 2-75 through 2-78 of SECNAV M-1650.1 are your starting point.

Note that any nomination for the NM must include at least two notarized witness statements, each from an individual who personally witnessed the servicemember performing the act of non-combat heroism.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

A NEW DUSTYNUTS HAS ENTERED THE CHAT

:swoon:

I'm actually a line officer not a PS or whatever, I just have recent experience on the topic from spending the better part of 6 months attempting to push through a MSM as a retirement award for a 30 year master chief.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

That seems like it would be an easy lift but I guess not.

They were giving those out instead of JCOMs if you stayed a whole year in Afghanistan. I already had postponed honeymoon plans booked so did not take them up on staying in the post-2016 election Kabul any longer than I had to

Difficulty of getting an award approved goes up exponentially with each additional command it has to go through, and with geography. So if the first flag officer is your ISIC who is just down the road, it'll be astronomically easier than if the first flag officer is your ISIC's ISIC and the three commands involved are all remote from each other.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Congrats on making board but only ~30% of board eligible get selected for CPO so maybe hold off on taking out a line of credit until you're sure you need it

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Well in that case, now is prime time to stock up on skull bumper stickers for your truck before the NEX runs out of them

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Hekk posted:

Navy pins all of their selectees before their actual promotion takes effect. Why the USMC doesn’t pin any of their SNCOs is beyond me. Waiting 9 months to pin on E-6 and 12 months to pin on E-7 was pretty lovely.

Honestly both approaches are hosed up

"We have determined that you are ready for increased authority and responsibility. We're going to give it to you but we're not going to pay you commensurately LOL"

Vs

"We have determined that you are ready for increased authority and responsibility. We're going to give it to you. At some point. Not now though, even though we think you're ready."

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, from my recollection, which is hazy due to all the Scotch I drank while talking to the British nukes and playing darts, the RN has their senior enlisted run the reactor and ER, and have nuke officers that only do nuke poo poo, usually drawn from the enlisted ranks (?).

Also, aren't all the PLA(N) nuke boats ancient shitheaps?

Shang IIs are all <10 years old

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Proust Malone posted:

Is the list out? I’ve just been seeing random FB shout outs.

Selection messages are on the ALNAV page https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/References/Messages/ALNAV-2024/

Most recent is https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Messages/ALNAV/ALN2024/ALN24032.txt?ver=4wJlY4zHfhnuW0p-iQ5qoA%3d%3d

Confirmation/date of rank messages are on the NAVADMIN page https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/References/Messages/NAVADMIN-2024/

Most recent is https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Messages/NAVADMIN/NAV2024/NAV24059.txt?ver=3Ofo3abK-YKJDw-8S76u5Q%3d%3d

The people selected this week still have to go through senate confirmation and wait for date of rank; most of them will put it on April 1 2025.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I've worked with a lot of good chiefs, but only one good Chief's Quarters