Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Posting in the New Year that the Reserves are still worse than the AD Navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Commoners posted:

Most FTS people learn to not touch the stove that is reservist affairs after about the third time of getting burnt after trying to help them or finding that the help they gave out was wasted because most reservists are professionals at being irresponsible or not caring at all.

I haven't had a Navy Email account in 9 months because the FTS can't unfuck themselves and help me out. I've since given up on giving any fucks.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LingcodKilla posted:

I love blueberries for what they are. It's just a silly uniform that makes us stand out as sailors.
It's not like we would ever actually need camouflage.

Have you ever worn coveralls? That or a version of that is literally all anyone ever needed

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tacopie posted:

I reenlisted to take me to twenty and go on my last deployment in the Navy pretty soon.

Congrats dude!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Give it time Give him a chance

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Grad program I applied to isn't sending out results... I feel like I got denied.

Now that it's post deployment time there's a sudden urge to stay in.

I keep hearing in my mind "three years is nothing" to stay in for DH ride.

You applied to just one?

Do not sign that bonus, at the most go to shore tour because its a day job and 'free' money and then apply to more than one grad program.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yes, I love this game!

When you joined the Navy, I had just mastered what fractions were somewhere between my first and second recess.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
As someone who arrived to Port Royal not long after the grounding I feel for that crew

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vulturesrow posted:

I'm out next summer; definitely feeling some angst myself, mostly about actually finding a job.

Go give American Corporate Partners a heads up, they'll pair you with a mentor who'll be able to help you figure poo poo out

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Also, my dudes, a friend's consulting team is working a project for vets and they need help for some demographic data. They need data from vets, and really need data from lady vets. If you're willing to assist please complete the short 7 question survey at the link below.

https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eb1J5dRvw5Sx8BT

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

poopkitty posted:

Where does this info go? What kind of org is it? (I'm a Lady Vet.)

It is internal to a grad-student MBA consulting team to help guide their thinking and decision making for a veterans organization in the Minneapolis area. I'm not familiar with the project, but a friend, AF vet and current national guard pilot, is on the team and asked for support.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm writing a market research paper (to learn more about an area of interest) for one of my classes and the idea is spurred by a video google had made a little over a year ago. It's a good video :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38pl8hc9aso

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 13, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Sometimes I miss ship life

Am I... Am I broken?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

• Seeing the stars and the million iterations of sunrise and sunset in the middle of the ocean.
  • Taking the deck out at sea.

This.

Also, now that this is on Youtube I don't mind posting this/talking about it. I was the OOD in this situation... wooooie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpjDopOgac

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I probably should have posted with more context - the video I have (same one) has much better audio but I'm not uploading it to the internet.

That said, we were in the SAG and our initial course (about 010) had us heading towards Iran with an oil field to our port beam. The CO was with the conning officer and I was managing the bridge. After we cleared the oil field we began to come around 5 degrees at a time until we were heading about 290 - the helm called out steady on course, rudder amidships, I verified it on the instruments up front, and proceeded to call down to aft steering to coordinate a shift of control for training purposes.

As I was on the phone (CG - XO's phone on the port side of the pilot house) I glanced out the window at the P&D line which was sitting at about 260. Puzzled, I looked at our bows which looked like a V, then slammed the phone down and ran out to the bridge wing, caught the CO's eye on the fly bridge, saw that he knew, and then I screamed down to drop the P&D line. We got out to about 340 or so on the bow before we began to straighten and correct.

Now, here's the thing. The oiler? It's never wrong. Is it wrong? No - you're wrong - correct to it. And so we did. We had previously steadied on 290, but the oiler was closer to 275 or so, and so we began to come around. The only problem is that the oiler then started to come back to the original communicated course of 290. Before we knew it I was looking at their hull numbers through our bullnose. I'm a bit dissapointed in myself that I didn't immediately recommend an emergency breakaway, instead pausing to assess. I arrived at hte conclusion, but as I did the XO was already running past me to blow the signals. I'm still ashamed about that.

Anyway, emergency breakaway now in full effect, we managed to level out but we have two lines over including amidships and we're probably at around 100-120 feet. That's where the video starts up. It was shot by the air crew who obviously had no loving clue what was going on until the word started to get passed over the 1MC.

Initially there was a bit of chaos as we kind of looked at each other in a shared "oh gently caress" then snapped out of it and began preparing for collision. Reports from our aft fueling station gave us updates, they were the first line to clear. I got on the 1MC and ordered the weatherdecks cleared on the port side. What I didn't know, was that our team on the midships kingpost ran off without clearing the line. A BMSN grabbed a SN and a BM3 and ran out and cleared it themselves (BMSN got a COM and other two got NAMs - those dudes were loving awesome). Once we got the word that the midships line was cleared the CO (who never took the conn) ordered flank 3 (you can hear the engines whine up in the video). At this point there wasn't much left to do in the pilothouse but wait. As we were sucked closer in I sounded the collision alarm; you can hear it on the video chirp twice - that's because I hit it and released thinking it would sound but as soon as I released it stopped, so I confusedly hit it again but it didn't go without holding so I gave up on it and passed a 'brace for impact'. As we pulled forward we were mostly out of danger (though I didn't realize it from my vantage). I walked out to lean against the rail thinking how my name was on that deck log, how I was totally hosed, and I was just waiting for the collision. The CO issued a slough of orders to the rudder both ways and we veered across the bow.

A brief moment of panic as we crossed the bow elicited a followup 'brace for impact' that was late and also unnecessary but at that point who the gently caress cares. We cleared the oiler, I walked back in, past some word, and called for reports from all stations. The CICWO ran up sometime around here, was hysterical, and my Helm Safety Officer kicked him out the door. Then the CO walked in, asked for station reports, looked me dead in the eyes, drew a breath and said, "Ok OOD, let's get ready to come back around, we still got oil and ice cream to pick up."

That dude was one cool loving cat and the best ship handler I'd ever met.

We found out much later that on the final segment of our turn the oiler suffered a rudder casualty which caused them to continue over to ~275. I still get chills watching the video and I got chills writing that up. At the time I was pretty 'young' OOD still, far from getting my pin, and I was just glad I didn't completely poo poo myself. I should note that not only did that BMSN and BM3/SN get an award, but so did the under instruction master helm - who was given her master helmsman qualification that night.

E: I had to edit the order of events a bit - a lot of the actions, events, and feelings are vivid, but the exact order that they happened were a bit out of order - watching the video again helped bring it back.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 27, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
VA outcomes are actually better than civilian care.

So... She was right.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

God the flag isn't racist guys it's just a battle flag learn your history y'all ignorant

I choose to believe that this is a troll

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My favorite hike was in one of the valleys that followed a pipe and riverbed most of the way. Three waterfalls and then a big crater that is filled with water (source of the falls). You can turn back, hike the ridge back, or continue around the rim into the mountains and end up overlooking Haliewa.

It started by turning left at a Buddhist temple, going up the winding valley road, and parking by an open lot with biege trailers along the back tree line. Cross the street and there is a wood line entrance next to a mailbox

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh poo poo.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Unless you're made to buy a grand worth of tshirts.

You should take a cue from our current dear leader and just send that guy hate mail every week.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I took on the CFL role in my reserve unit (171 people). How hosed am I?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Partially and it is a thing which I have on my to do list, yes. To be fair, I wont administer a PFA for 6 mos. The current PFA is run by the NOSC after the last CFL and staff shadily changed some numbers.

It doesnt sound too hard and it was a CO personal request. I'm just leary of what I don't know about it.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 12, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DownByTheWooter posted:

dude you're an O-3

CFL is beneath you get a grown up collateral

personal request? shoulda told that nigga no, because he was punking you

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, if he's a primarily O shore command, like say a NROTC or something similar, he might be the junior guy on the totem pole and it's his job to deal with it.

Not every command has a bevy of senior enlisted that can just be tasked with CFL or other such poo poo.

Basically. It's a staff support command for Naval Forces Japan and has a shitload of khaki. The last cycle the NOSC found that the unit had made some changes internal that lead to an investigation and the removal of all PFA authority from the unit. In order to get it back, the NOSC demanded that an Officer (who they believe cannot be leveraged) oversee the program directly.

So essentially myself and an OSC (that I requested) will be the only individuals with access to PRIMS with an additional 3-5 ACFL's to help administer. The NOSC will run our PFA this cycle, I'll build the baseline off of it, and then we'll have autonomy in the fall cycle. My goal is to turn this over to the OSC in all but name by next year (maybe hold final approval on all scores).

Also, literally nothing is a grown up collateral in the reserves, because :lol: reserves.

DownByTheWooter posted:

in that case guess it sucks to be boon

thank you for your service boon

:(

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's not the birthday officer yet so he's got a little ways to go.

I had to make custom birthday cards once a month for the commodore to send out. I had a tracker for all the waterfront COs, XOs, and their families. The deputy commodore on more than one occasion got pissed about this when he would walk into the front office to see a LTJG doing arts and crafts.

I don't know what was up, but I was the only officer there pending a medboard that they actually made come into work every day and do things. There were a couple of ensigns and another JG that rarely were even expected to muster. There was a LCDR also pending medboard that had less to do than me.

Yeah but you're competent so it all makes sense.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

I was looking around D&D where the current freak out is about 3 carrier strike groups heading to North Korea. The only source I can find is a South Korean news site. Three strike groups in one area is absolutely insane, the Vinson is still down in Indonesia, the Reagan and Nimitz are supposed to be heading that way. The Reagan is already forward deployed out of Japan, I'm assuming the Nimitz is just heading out to the gulf. There might be a time when all three are close due to transit I suppose?

I saw that too, the poster that posted it is doing that thing in D&D where you just reflexively post the first article you come across that you can sound alarm bells about without doing any real thinking or fact checking. The article is so poorly translated that it should have failed the sniff test immediately but instead it's become a little bit of accepted truth in that thread. Sometimes I'll push back, this time I did not. :(

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/us-carrier-still-thousands-of-miles-from-korea

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 18, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Norfolk in the summer is actually pretty sweet. That memorial park babyeatingpyschopath mentioned has a lot of summer events and concerts.

There's also some delicious food to be found in the area:
- Route 58, go get yourself an amazing reuben (bring a friend)
- Wine/Cheese shop in Williamsburg (Get a bottle of wine, a sandwich, and some delicious bread ends with some soup)
- Gastropub (go on Trivia night, get there a litte early), AW Shucks beforehand for some seafood dinner
- Hair of the Dog (for brunch)
- Go find a craft beer festival or just do a craft beer tour - Tidewater has a BUNCH of craft breweries

There's more. I hated Virginia, but I really like Norfolk, it's a really underrated city (all the surrounding cities can go gently caress themselves)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Thronde posted:

Sweet. I'm at Group doing what has to be the biggest waste of time and money ever for my unit regarding schools, just to get my crew serve quals. But honestly, I never wanted to be stationed in VA, but I kinda dig the area and I could potentially go NSW support here next. I'll need some good eats to destress from the dumb as gently caress MAs finally feeling like their rate isn't redundant, because hey guys lets spend another hour and a half going over what we spent 8 hours going over in the class. After hours.

Also, Mojito Cafe near the board walk makes some bangin mojitos and some great Cuban eats.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
On shore duty we didn't have NIPR/SIPR NMCI for over a month at one point because someone didn't call digger's hotline before dropping a backhoe into some concrete.

That was the best month of my life.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 5, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Guys, as I sit at a Kyoto coffee shop, I can't help but think sometimes the Navy is okay... Reserves though, its key to find a forward supporting unit

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I had been to Japan before, but this experience and knowing that I'll be back within a year has left me really wanting to learn Japanese. I mean, just look at this:

Goddamn Japan, you're beautiful.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Starting a summer internship today, looking forward to this civilian work life you speak of

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sarkazm posted:

Hell yeah! Congrats!

Thanks! I feel like now if there aren't enough hours in the work day I'll at least be happy about it and not doing stupid bullshit (like running around the ship trying to find the XO to sign a message)

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 31, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I found out I didn't have an audiology exam on file while doing my exit physical.

My only saving grace is that I was a top-sider

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Valley Stared, please remember that if you think you need or want to talk with someone as this settles out that you take the opportunity to do so, buy you did good man

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 18, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There's probably a lot of people who are deserving of awards after this.

Some day, long after it matters, a personal, hand-written, and pointed letter of 'gently caress you' should be satisfying

Don't do that, it's just a fuhn thought. The guy was clearly wrong

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Valley Stared posted:

I got both of their coins, and I hugged the MCPON.

:3:

Also, yeah, I used to get incredibly frustrated watching the Hawaiian contractors laying around on the pier at 2, or begin cleaning up at that time 'because the day ends at 4'

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=101120

PRT now matters in the only way it should - do good and get rewarded by not having to conduct the next cycle.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

excellent, not good.

Haha, yeah. I meant in the way that 'this is cool and good' not 'excellent low'

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, the DCA of the ship in question IS a goon, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ManMythLegend posted:

It's more complicated then that. All of the watchstanders draw their authority from him. Basically he's vouching for their professional competency. It's the captain's responsibly to ensure that they are carrying out their duties properly. Thus, if it turns out that the collision is a result of improperly trained or performing watchstanders then ultimately it is the captain's fault.

I got to live this dream a few months ago. I was in the verge of being fired for a few of my sailors going off and doing something completely stupid. I was no where near the incident, and if I was I know it wouldn't have happened, but I was still held accountable because I was not intrusive enough with them to really know they knew what they were doing. It's part of the job. The whole thing falls apart if it isn't.

Frankly, it's something I really like about the Navy and has served me pretty well outside of it (the ownership aspect).