Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&pagenumber=2138&perpage=40#post468070727

So on the one hand pointless military worship and jingoism are awful, but on the other hand you've got people like this.

Reserve update: I've had to do some kind of eval writing every single drill due to evals disappearing, transfers no one knew about, frockings, etc. Maybe it's because it's a big command but there's not enough time in a drill weekend to get all of the bullshit shoveled onto the average sailor done. You'd think the FTS people would help? I don't know.

It's not like Iraq tanks are rolling down the streets of DC. People seem to be projecting hard on the old world war 2 tropes.

People going to Iraq after Hussein was defeated are mostly mercenaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some scorchin hot takes in that thread. :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anyone got friends on the Antietam? Time to start talking poo poo.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/officials-navy-cruiser-ran-aground-near-japan

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I miss being out at sea all the loving time.

I don't miss the navy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Good news, old man, you're testing against other reservists and you're in a rate that rapidly advances regardless.

Howard Phillips posted:

• Seeing the stars and the million iterations of sunrise and sunset in the middle of the ocean.

#1 thing I miss.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

How long until e4-E7 advancement exams are released?

Results? April i think.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

Why is is always cruisers?

O-12 syndrome is a real thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Virginia Slams posted:

Serious question: is there anything saying you have to get frocked when results come out? Is it possible to hold off until you get paid instead.

I have no intention to but I've always wondered

No you do not have to get frocked. You can sit and wait till you get paid. Your peers/juniors will think that you got in trouble and are on a suspended bust from mast or something and your seniors will look negatively upon you for not following with naval tradition.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Is it unacceptable to submit a resignation in the first month of being at a command?

The instruction says to drop it 9-12 months before the day you're trying to separate. Other than minimum time on station I don't think I'm missing any other key points.

Are you at ship or shore? If you're at sea duty you have a minimum obliserv of 1 year and 2 years for shore. I'm not 100% sure if that's still the rule but it was back in the day.

So if you're on shore duty, you've got another 2 years before you can resign.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

Pretty sure everyone went to church services in boot camp just to get the gently caress out of cleaning the barracks the the umpteenth time.

I never went. We just chilled in the room and took long rear end showers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

my esams training is 2 months overdue, but im not giving a gently caress with terminal coming up. Also not doing the spring prt. The navy isn't so bad when you're getting out.

Unless you're made to buy a grand worth of tshirts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

I can't imagine doing anything except laughing if someone asked me to put Navy related expenses on my personal credit card.

It was either pay or they were going to dock my pay. I got hung out to dry by an O3 and O6 because one was a useless waste of space on her way out and the other was still trying for a star. Those tshirts cost me a G. They cost him his flag in the long run.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

Was that Captain Goat On Boat?

No he was an enlisted CO of mine.

Godholio posted:

I don't remember this part.

The t-shirt fiasco happened right before a command climate survey. I was deliberately not included on the survey and a large number of the people on staff called out the situation on said survey. The opinion from the type commander supply people was the O6 should have just swiped his card for his shirts instead of foisting the cost on me. These were his custom designed command t-shirts, and although I'm not sure if the O6 got his, one of the ones ordered was sized for him and supposed to go to him.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Oh the joke is good, but I like Mr. Nice so I feel bad clowning on legit medical issues.

I never took it to heart and enjoyed it. In truth, it was never an issue with my balls, but just I feel like I ripped open an inguinal hernia all the time (still). It's never really gotten better. If I have to take a bunch of stairs and poo poo like I'm on a ship again I'm toast after a few flights. Weed helps immensely.

The general gist of the problem is a bunch of scar tissue around a wire mesh from a hernia repair has nerves that were formerly in the spot where the mesh is at. Scar tissue with nerve in it is stretched, so nerve thinks ripped. At this point the scar tissue could be cleared up with no new damage, but the neural pathway is built. Docs told me after getting out if the surgeon I consulted with while I was still active had gone in, it might have been repairable. The Army docs at the hospital didn't want to do anything, though, so I'm stuck with it now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hogmartin posted:

I have a 30% VA disability but the nearest VA hospitals are an hour away. I'm currently between jobs and don't have my employer's health coverage anymore. If I have to go to the ER, or see a local doctor sooner than I can get an appointment at the VA hospital, is that going to be completely out-of-pocket?

Is there any type of VA clinic nearby? Like one closer than 40 miles away? If so, that's who you need to use for any PCM related issues. Any legitimate emergency, so long as you're properly enrolled in VA healthcare, should be covered at an ER. I've had to make an ER trip before. Gave them my VA information and had to call a regional office number for the VA to report it.

If you are further than 40 miles from ANY VA clinic or hospital, then you have full VA Choice eligibility and should get rocking on that. It's basically a local insurance program if there isn't a VA facility nearby.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean, if he's a primarily O shore command, like say a NROTC or something similar, he might be the junior guy on the totem pole and it's his job to deal with it.

Not every command has a bevy of senior enlisted that can just be tasked with CFL or other such poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

Basically. It's a staff support command for Naval Forces Japan and has a shitload of khaki. The last cycle the NOSC found that the unit had made some changes internal that lead to an investigation and the removal of all PFA authority from the unit. In order to get it back, the NOSC demanded that an Officer (who they believe cannot be leveraged) oversee the program directly.

So essentially myself and an OSC (that I requested) will be the only individuals with access to PRIMS with an additional 3-5 ACFL's to help administer. The NOSC will run our PFA this cycle, I'll build the baseline off of it, and then we'll have autonomy in the fall cycle. My goal is to turn this over to the OSC in all but name by next year (maybe hold final approval on all scores).

Also, literally nothing is a grown up collateral in the reserves, because :lol: reserves.

:(

loving :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hogmartin posted:

Thanks. The nearest VA clinic is in town, but it's an outpatient clinic so not an emergency option, and probably makes me ineligible for VA Choice if it's here.
If I went in to an appointment at the (>hour away) VA hospital years ago to get the original disability percentage. Would that likely count as 'properly enrolled in VA healthcare', or is there a separate process? I don't have a card or anything.

Go to your local clinic and they will set you up including getting you a card. You can use them for 100% of your primary care. Emergency care will be at the local ER. They will have procedures in place for you to use a local ER. Just ask at the clinic. There are people there whose only job is to guide you through the process.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

The only way this story gets better is if you end up on the hook for 1000 dollars worth of t-shirts.

He's not the birthday officer yet so he's got a little ways to go.

I had to make custom birthday cards once a month for the commodore to send out. I had a tracker for all the waterfront COs, XOs, and their families. The deputy commodore on more than one occasion got pissed about this when he would walk into the front office to see a LTJG doing arts and crafts.

I don't know what was up, but I was the only officer there pending a medboard that they actually made come into work every day and do things. There were a couple of ensigns and another JG that rarely were even expected to muster. There was a LCDR also pending medboard that had less to do than me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nah, most likely local clinic will have the application, if you don't get it online, and and have a courier that runs it to the VA. That's the extent of it. They won't do all the "official" stuff, getting an ID, etc. I think I had to fax mine (yes fax they don't accept email of course) because someone lost it along the way

I could be wrong, but branch clinics are generally just a regular ol' doctors office that may have a psychiatrist/psychologist and do very minimal VA stuff

Your local places sucks loving balls. There are regional differences, I guess. The clinic down here has staff to help with everything. You can go get an ID same day at my clinic. They make them on site.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 13, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

god I can't loving stand open top dip bottles/cups/whatever lying everywhere and spilling and poo poo gently caress

I was stricter about dip bottles in spaces than anything else while I was an O. Any one I ever found I immediately trashed and I chewed the person out if I knew who left it. One of the most disgusting habits out there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

germskr posted:

Do we have any legit JAG ITT?

Actus Rhesus is a former JAG.

I'm an unlicensed attorney.

There used to be an Army JAG, but I'm not sure if he's still in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

The greatest threat to American naval operations is NMCI.

Do they still call themselves NMCI this long after NMCI lost all the contracts to HP? I thought it was NMET now or something similarly stupid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

I still get multiple emails daily from NMCI telling me that poo poo doesn't work and there's no estimate on when service will be restored.

:lol:

I remember when HP got the contract and then nothing changed except i saw NMET in a few places. I wondered if they would ever make the full name switch or just keep NMCI.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

I'm on the third week of a field exercise with my seabee battalion. This is the kind of stupidity you can't make up

seabees sound like all the fun of garrison army with a navy uniform on

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Meanwhile my appeal is in year 4.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

That's nuts.

nah this one is for my knee.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

Well I thought I pulled off a good joke. drat.

I laughed. You did good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

My claim sat in limbo for about 2 years before I moved out here to Colorado and refiled it through a local office. I realize that might not be an easy or even feasible option, but they did date my backpay back to my original claim that I filed in New Orleans.

Oh no it's progressed in a few places. Right now a big part of it is the MRI I'm getting in two weeks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

Anyone who still has their coveralls (lol if you're still in of course) can, with basic hemming skills, be on the cutting edge of this year's fashion.

already have a set of cutoffs that I've worn in the taco truck. comfy as gently caress

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Mr. Nice wears a romper in his taco truck. I bet you have a loving fidget spinner too, don't you? Got a sick vape game too?

Had no idea what a fidget spinner was until a few weeks ago and gently caress vaping unless its got some good oil in it.

I did the romper mostly because a booty call dared me and i've got plenty of coveralls anyways.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lou Takki posted:

I've never worn them but I've always thought thought CG ODU looked like a perfectly good working uniform.

Blue camouflage is still peak BIG NAVY in my mind. Why on earth would a sailor need blue camo? If we don't need it, why the gently caress are we wearing it!?!

SEA WARRIORS

Basically at the tail end of Iraq all the other branches had "modernized" their uniforms in some way. I'll admit the song and dance of changing uniforms multiple times a day because you couldn't eat in coveralls or dirty utilities was a pain in the rear end for a deck sailor. For most others it was nbd because they were just in their spaces doing their thing. What would have made the most sense was just switch everyone to coveralls 24/7 and minor consolidation to service uniforms. However, this wasn't 21st century enough with all the other branches with hot new digi-camo. The navy blue camo was a straight up palette swap of marine camo with the EGA swapped with the Anchor-Eagle-Constitution or whatever it was called. This was done entirely because some master chiefs were so emasculated by their badass marine counterparts in the pentagon that they demanded a navy version of their uniform. Ever have a masterchief go around that insists that everyone be called "WARRIORS" instead of sailors? Those guys are why.

I'm still of the opinion - flame retardant coveralls 24/7 at sea and as a working uniform ashore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

loving :lol: they're seriously considering bringing the kittyhawk out of mothball.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

Horseshit. The lovely kitty should have been razorbladed a long time ago. Bringing her out of mothballs to do what exactly? Take up a spot on the pier because her old as gently caress systems broke and they can't find the old as gently caress contractors who still know how to work on her?

Because there are only 10 carriers in service with one coming online soon and the navy needs 12 active right now to complete all it's missions. Of the carriers in mothball status, the kittyhawk is in the best shape and doesn't require any type of reactor work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There won't be NJP because he's brokebrained and hiding was his way of tapping out.

On deployment we had a sadbrains who tried to get out of the deployment but failed. While we were transiting the indian ocean or in the gulf (can't remember exactly) early one morning, a PO2 didn't show up for his watch at 2am. Someone went to his rack to look for him with no dice. They then searched all of his workspaces with once again, nothing to show. After about 30 minutes of looking, this was all reported to the OOD, then the CO, and man overboard was called. The entire ship was woke up and had to muster, and then we sent search parties throughout the skin of the ship and topside. We turned about and started tracing our steps hoping to find him. Finally one of the topside search teams found him asleep next to the rear CIWS mount. We had a suicide watch for him for the rest of his time onboard before he could get heloed off. There was no NJP. Instead he got medboarded out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

USS Fitzgerald crashed into a merchant ship.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Jesus christ. What time did the collision happen? As a person who slept in berthing 2 I can't image how hosed up this is.

2:30am local time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Valley Stared posted:

So, I was on the collision yesterday. I am the FITZ DCA. I'll put that out there now for everyone. I don't care.

The collision happened around 0130. I remember looking at my watch when I felt the ship do a strange maneuver. It woke me up.

I know that basic damage control saved my ship yesterday. We battled to keep her stable for 19 hours. The first 8 were the worst and fastest of my life.

If you guys have questions, I will answer what I can within the guidelines I have.

Dude good job doing what you did to help save that ship. No loving joke. You got jolted awake to a DCA's worst loving nightmare and saved the ship.

I feel for you and all your guys. I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through that poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm guilty as gently caress about armchair OODing and all, but seriously still good job doing what you did. You handled yourself well, and I'm glad that you're out there to do it. You saved lives.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm guessing by that he means he called the bridge and told them to set it unless he was staying in the at-sea cabin walked around the corner to hit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If the bridge watch team was on the ball he would have been woke up by the collision alarm first before the crash. There's a way to get on the 1MC via the phone system but i can't recall if you can actually turn on the GQ alarm through it.

You can set it from CCS as well, but he said he did it before he went back aft.